Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Girls High School Hockey IV

Originally posted by ARM View Post

This year's class of skaters looks to be down a bit from the previous couple.
    I wouldn't know, but the one that matters to me with 18 goals and 24 assists playing D sounds really good.

Oh, and the 5'10" sounds really good, too.
    Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 02-01-2019, 10:42 AM. Reason: Wonder if she's still growing?
    "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
      I wouldn't know, but the one that matters to me with 18 goals and 24 assists playing D sounds really good.

Oh, and the 5'10" sounds really good, too.
      Correct and if you're interested you could go tonight and check out 5 Gopher recruits (12 total D1 recruits, I believe) including her in the Blake vs Andover match-up. That will be at 7:30 tonight at the Blake Ice Arena and since the Gopher women don't play tonight I'm planning on being there.

Gopher recruits...
      Blake:
      Adelaide Burton 2020
      Audrey Wethington 2020
      Madeline Wethington 2019

Andover:
      Peyton Hemp 2021
      Madison Kaiser 2022

Also of note is that Cornell has two very good recruits for Blake in Izzy Daniels and Lily Delianedis with Delianedis being their top scorer and Daniels their second top scorer.
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
        Also of note is that Cornell has two very good recruits for Blake in Izzy Daniels and Lily Delianedis with Delianedis being their top scorer and Daniels their second top scorer.
        If you could provide a scouting report on those two, I would greatly appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by mattj711 View Post
          If you could provide a scouting report on those two, I would greatly appreciate it.
          You might be able to watch it at some point:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr67pTIHOLo
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

A couple more possible options:

https://www.nfhsnetwork.com/explore/upcoming

https://www.youthhockeyhub.com/
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                Thank you for providing the links. I was able to watch a replay of the game. It was a very exciting game between two excellent teams. Andover controlled play in the first 2 periods and Blake maybe wore them down and completely controlled the 3rd. I was equally impressed with both the Wethington sisters. Audrey made a move toward Andover's net with about 3 1/2 minutes left in the 3rd period that was very slick even though she didn't score. The play-by-play guy was obviously impressed with Madeline. Among his quotes or close to them were: "She is so good on the deke as she fakes one way and goes the other." "She is maybe the fastest player on the ice." "She is the most dependable defender on her team and in the state." With a goal and two assists, including the assist on the winning goal she was very impressive for sure, but no more so than her younger sister, I thought. I did notice that most of the shots Madeline took from the blue line were wrist shots and they were almost all on goal, if not particularly hard.

For Andover both Gopher commit Peyton Hemp and future Maverick Jamie Nelson looked very good.

One of the odd things in the game according to the play-by-play guy was a penalty called for "illegal equipment." Playing with a broken stick or too big a curve on the blade? He never did say, but it certainly wasn't for black jersey's with black numbers on their backs.
                Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 02-01-2019, 10:52 PM. Reason: There were 13 future D1 players on the 2 teams!

Comment

Originally posted by mattj711 View Post
                  Blake wins 4-3 in a tight game with a goal late in the third period.

I think this was mentioned before that both are highly skilled (Delianedis showed off her great wrist shot on the goal she scored) with Daniels being a slightly better play maker and to me, at least more willing to play a "200 foot game". Delianedis can be a bit chippy with her play but tonight she kept things under control pretty well as far as not losing her temper. Offensively, Delianedis has a little more skill but I think you will appreciate the overall game of Daniels who comes in next year.

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                    Thank you for providing the links. I was able to watch a replay of the game. It was a very exciting game between two excellent teams. Andover controlled play in the first 2 periods and Blake maybe wore them down and completely controlled the 3rd. I was equally impressed with both the Wethington sisters. Audrey made a move toward Andover's net with about 3 1/2 minutes left in the 3rd period that was very slick even though she didn't score. The play-by-play guy was obviously impressed with Madeline. Among his quotes or close to them were: "She is so good on the deke as she fakes one way and goes the other." "She is maybe the fastest player on the ice." "She is the most dependable defender on her team and in the state." With a goal and two assists, including the assist on the winning goal she was very impressive for sure, but no more so than her younger sister, I thought. I did notice that most of the shots Madeline took from the blue line were wrist shots and they were almost all on goal, if not particularly hard.

For Andover both Gopher commit Peyton Hemp and future Maverick Jamie Nelson looked very good.

One of the odd things in the game according to the play-by-play guy was a penalty called for "illegal equipment." Playing with a broken stick or too big a curve on the blade? He never did say, but it certainly wasn't for black jersey's with black numbers on their backs.
                    This was my first time seeing Andover live. I have seen Blake a number of times so it was interesting to get a good look at the skill and depth of Andover. Very impressed with their first line of Krause, Hemp, and Nelson. Had a chance to talk with some of the Andover parents who were telling me that Madison Kaiser (#29) has normally played forward but due to an injury to another player, Kaiser has played defense for a few games now. For a 9th grader she looked very poised out there on defense.

Madeline Wethington was the best player out there tonight although Peyton Hemp wasn't far behind. Hemp surprised me with how physical she plays.

Couldn't figure out what that penalty was other than the guy I was by thought she might have been playing with a broken stick?
                    Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 02-02-2019, 08:20 AM. Reason: injury clarification

Comment

Thanks to bluffrinkrat and FiveHoleFrenzy for the reports on the game and recruits. I made the mistake of going to the Gopher men's game...tonight the girls high school game would have been a better choice.

Comment

Thanks to bluffrinkrat and FiveHoleFrenzy for the reports on the game and recruits. I made the mistake of going to the Gopher men's game...tonight the girls high school game would have been a better choice.
                        My wife watched the Gopher game in the TV room and I watched Andover/Blake in the computer room. I think I saw the much better game. This is the 1st year in 30 years that either my brother and I or my wife and I don't have season tickets for the men. I don't miss being at Mariucci at all. It just gives us more opportunities to see the Gopher women play on the road.
                        Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 02-01-2019, 11:44 PM. Reason: A wedding or a hockey game tomorrow? A no-brainer for me.

Comment

Yeah, an easy decision for me as far as an out of town wedding or the Wisconsin/Minnesota series at Ridder...Except I was told in no short terms that the dog house was all prepared for me if I made a certain choice.

Did make the correct decision last night as far as which game to go to...I do have hopes that with the new coach, the men's team will eventually turn things around.

BTW, I think I read some where that Blake ice arena holds 600 people (Here is a video showing the rink)and there was a standing room only crowd last night so a Minnesota High School game probably drew more fans than quite a few college games out east.

Comment

Top 10 will come out soon. I would bet that No. 1 will be either Wendell or Darwitz. Which one do you like, or maybe someone else?

HOW THE TEAM WAS CHOSEN
                            The Pioneer Press collected top-25 ballots from a number of Minnesota high school girls hockey experts. Those ballots were combined via a points system to help create this list.
                            While this is a list centered on those who played Minnesota high school hockey, a player’s high school career was only part of the equation. How a player performed after high school — in her college, professional and national team careers — factored heavily into the equation. This list is meant to rate players’ careers as a whole.

The 25 greatest players to play Minnesota girls high school hockey: Nos. 11-15
                            https://www.twincities.com/2019/02/0...key-nos-11-15/

Comment

Top 10 will come out soon. I would bet that No. 1 will be either Wendell or Darwitz. Which one do you like, or maybe someone else?
                              Wendell #2, Darwitz #1. But then I thought Darwitz would get the Kaz award in 2005, since she set and still holds the single season points record of 114. They're both deserving. On the other hand I don't follow girls high school hockey that closely. Did they both play four years of high school or did the 2002 Olympics prevent that?
                              Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 02-02-2019, 12:25 PM. Reason: At least she's in the US Hockey Hall of Fame.

Comment

Couldn't figure out what that penalty was other than the guy I was by thought she might have been playing with a broken stick?
                                I was at game. It was a good one.

It appeared to me that #18 was holding both the goalie stick AND her own stick and she either played the puck, held both sticks too long as the goalie did not know her teammate had it standing next to her, or the offender was involved enough in the play to warrant a penalty. Just my guess.

I too was very impressed by Wethington and Hemp. Definitely the favorites for Ms. Hockey 2019 & 2021. The 2 Cornell commits will be great additions to that team when they arrive in 19 & 20.

Comment

Working...
                                X