Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The "I Can't Believe There's No Abortion Thread" Abortion Thread

The plural of anecdote is not data

Re: The "I Can't Believe There's No Abortion Thread" Abortion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by FreshFish View Post

"Life" begins when the first cell division occurs after a fertilized egg implants in the uterine wall. That is just basic biology.
    Ugh... for **** sake.
    Division occurs well before implantation. That is "basic biology." The easiest way to think of it is that life is a continuous process.
    In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Lucia Apologist

Oh ****.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Oh ****.
    LOL. Badger halftime left me bored.

I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

https://www.askphilosophers.org/question/3942

Peter Smith's "gradualist" answer, IMHO, reflects "main street America's" thinking pretty accurately.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

bump

Nonsensical. You can remove the unborn child from the mother's womb to save the mother's life without killing the child in the process. Think "partial-birth abortion" except extract the child all the way instead of puncturing its skull when it is halfway out and then sucking out its brains with a vacuum cleaner.
    An attempt to move this over here. If we go by the 20 week mark, in the vast majority of "late-term abortions," the fetus is not viable even with the best medical care. Going with a 27 week mark as viability, they still have very poor outcomes even with vast resource allocation (I use that to convey the point that "everything" is attempted, not that it is a waste of resources). I am not sure you have a good grasp of developmental biology given your prior statement (below).

Here's the logical distinction that trips up most people.

"Life" begins when the first cell division occurs after a fertilized egg implants in the uterine wall. That is just basic biology.
    I really do not think the imagery you provide is useful to the discussion. Most medical procedures could be described in that way and it only adds to the entirely normal human visceral response, but does little to add to precision and clarity of the discussion.

Let's go RED!

The vast vast vast majority of this issue would go away if people just had responsible sex, or better yet, had no sex until marriage. I do not understand what is so hard about either option.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    The vast vast vast majority of this issue would go away if people just had responsible sex, or better yet, had no sex until marriage. I do not understand what is so hard about either option.
    Poor sexual education, a tidal wave of hormones, and taboo.

Edit: I also agree with the first sentence (except maybe the "or better yet" part).
    Last edited by WisconsinWildcard; 01-14-2015 at 12:50 PM.

16-year olds are idiots drowning in a pool of hormones. Twas every thus; no society, even the Puritans who may hold the record for trying, has ever put a dent in pre-marital sex. The entire natural function of teenage girls is to be incubators and the entire natural function of teenage boys is to give them something to incubate. No amount of hocus-pocus will ever change that.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    16-year olds are idiots drowning in a pool of hormones. Twas every thus; no society, even the Puritans who may hold the record for trying, has ever put a dent in pre-marital sex. The entire natural function of teenage girls is to be incubators and the entire natural function of teenage boys is to give them something to incubate. No amount of hocus-pocus will ever change that.
    Wanna bet? All you need is a one of these.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: No Heart

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Wanna bet? All you need is a one of these.
    All snark aside if people want to save themselves for marriage, all power to them.

However Physics is King and Biology is Queen and their rule is absolute.

But as Phil Esterhaus said "Let's be careful out there! "

wubba lubba dub dub

Why isn't everybody perfect like me?
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

How's this sermon working in Africa there captain insane-o?

They'll go out and commit genocide because some pastor says to but they can't resist sex?
    Last edited by Foxton; 01-14-2015 at 01:15 PM.

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Why isn't everybody perfect like me?
    I'm not perfect by any means (I should be working right now). I do know that it is humanly possible to have responsible sex and no sex. I'm not throwing some concept out there that has no chance of ever working. It's not necessarily easy to do either option, but many things in life are not easy to do but should be done, can be done, and do get done.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

wubba lubba dub dub

I'm not perfect by any means (I should be working right now). I do know that it is humanly possible to have responsible sex and no sex. I'm not throwing some concept out there that has no chance of ever working. It's not necessarily easy to do either option, but many things in life are not easy to do but should be done, can be done, and do get done.
    Having never seen the actual data, I'm willing to bet that the average age of a woman having an abortion is under 25 and they will skew towards the poorer end of the income distributions. Under a certain age (go ahead, guess what that age is), women are more likely to be impulsive and look at short-term gains over long-term rewards. Add in lower income distributions, and you're more likely to have lower education attainment. It becomes much harder than your "I do not understand what is so hard about either option" statement would make it appear.

I don't like the idea of abortions outisde of medically necessary situations. I'd like to see these women and men take precautions or find adoptive services, but I'm also living in a world of harsh realities. Things don't happen neatly in order to coincide with some false god's plans.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

I'm not throwing some concept out there that has no chance of ever working.
    Yeah you are.

Official Bottom Ten Spokesman

This is America. People don't believe there are consequences for their actions and telling them so will only invite scorn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Good to see you're so reasonable.
    Very well, said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    A fair assessment Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gray View Post
    This is America. People don't believe there are consequences for their actions and telling them so will only invite scorn.
    Oh, really. Broad brush you're swinging there.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: No Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gray View Post
    I'll say.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Official Bottom Ten Spokesman

Oh, really. Broad brush you're swinging there.
    I borrowed it for a moment from you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Good to see you're so reasonable.
    Very well, said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    A fair assessment Bob.

Thread Information