Or how about :
    No maternity leave
    High child care costs
    Ridiculous health care costs
    Out of control education cost
    Stagnant wages

How anyone has kids now I have no clue
    Yup all these things.

No maternity leave: I started a new job, but will not have been here a year before child shows up, so not only does my company not have maternity leave, I won't even qualify for FMLA (unpaid maternity leave, with continuation of health insurance and the ability to get my job back after). My company is supposed to be getting bought out and maybe they'll have better benefits, but that's on hold thanks to the government shut down.

High child care costs: Left a job I liked a few years ago to earn a better wage that may help pay for childcare. My family lives far away and husband's mom is a bit over an hour away. Part of the delay in a family was looking at when my mother-in-law would retire and be able to help with babysitting. I still don't know what we'll do for child care, but somehow we'll figure it out.

Ridiculous health care costs: Even with health insurance, this pregnancy has cost me >$1,000 so far in copays and deductibles and I'm only 4 months in. Once kid gets here the cost of my insurance will greatly increase going from 'single employee' coverage to 'family'.

Out of control education costs: Just finished paying off husband's student loans for his associate's degree. Hooray, maybe we can afford a child? I'm also fortunate in that my parents were able to pay for my education, giving me a leg up on everyone with student loans.

Stagnate wages: Previously mentioned leaving job where I had been for 5 years with no salary increase (not even a cost of living). Bills keep getting more expensive, but my pay didn't increase.

I'll also add a few more:
    Need for dual income. Most families cannot get by on a single income anymore. This means having to figure out child care and maternity leave. I wish I had the luxury of taking a few years off from working to raise my child.

Motherhood penalty. With my education and career choice, I have more earning potential than my husband. Not knowing if my job will be here after I have the child, it may be difficult to find another job and to continue to advance my career and not stagnate. Even in 2019, it's assumed by most that the mother will be the primary caretaker. I was taken aback when my husband's grandma asked if I was going to go back to work after having the child. She didn't ask her grandson the same question.
    Last edited by wolverineTrumpet; 01-14-2019, 07:51 AM.
    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
    7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

• Re: The "I Can't Believe There's No Abortion Thread" Abortion Thread

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
      Yup all these things.

No maternity leave: I started a new job, but will not have been here a year before child shows up, so not only does my company not have maternity leave, I won't even qualify for FMLA (unpaid maternity leave, with continuation of health insurance and the ability to get my job back after). My company is supposed to be getting bought out and maybe they'll have better benefits, but that's on hold thanks to the government shut down.

High child care costs: Left a job I liked a few years ago to earn a better wage that may help pay for childcare. My family lives far away and husband's mom is a bit over an hour away. Part of the delay in a family was looking at when my mother-in-law would retire and be able to help with babysitting. I still don't know what we'll do for child care, but somehow we'll figure it out.

Ridiculous health care costs: Even with health insurance, this pregnancy has cost me >$1,000 so far in copays and deductibles and I'm only 4 months in. Once kid gets here the cost of my insurance will greatly increase going from 'single employee' coverage to 'family'.

Out of control education costs: Just finished paying off husband's student loans for his associate's degree. Hooray, maybe we can afford a child? I'm also fortunate in that my parents were able to pay for my education, giving me a leg up on everyone with student loans.

Stagnate wages: Previously mentioned leaving job where I had been for 5 years with no salary increase (not even a cost of living). Bills keep getting more expensive, but my pay didn't increase.

I'll also add a few more:
      Need for dual income. Most families cannot get by on a single income anymore. This means having to figure out child care and maternity leave. I wish I had the luxury of taking a few years off from working to raise my child.

Motherhood penalty. With my education and career choice, I have more earning potential than my husband. Not knowing if my job will be here after I have the child, it may be difficult to find another job and to continue to advance my career and not stagnate. Even in 2019, it's assumed by most that the mother will be the primary caretaker. I was taken aback when my husband's grandma asked if I was going to go back to work after having the child. She didn't ask her grandson the same question.
      Two Income Trap -written by Elizabeth Warren and Amelia Warren Tyagi. Written in 2003 it covers all of those issues and more. Issues that the United States has the power to solve but refuses.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        Two Income Trap -written by Elizabeth Warren and Amelia Warren Tyagi. Written in 2003 it covers all of those issues and more. Issues that the United States has the power to solve but refuses.
        Great book. Dr. Mrs. read it when it came out and couldn't stop talking about this "Warren" professor.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          Great book. Dr. Mrs. read it when it came out and couldn't stop talking about this "Warren" professor.
          I had the same reaction.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

This won't cause a "merde melee" ...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...ustice-1175537
            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

If a household can operate on a single income, that means one parent stays home with the kids.
              Historically that was the female in a traditional household.

Is Sen Warren advocating women stay in the home?*

*I know she's not. But it could be spun that way.
              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                If a household can operate on a single income, that means one parent stays home with the kids.
                Historically that was the female in a traditional household.

Read the book. Otherwise you have no idea what you're talking about. You also should go see "On The Basis Of Sex". Movie made about Justice Ginsburg. May open your eyes.

Comment

May open your eyes.
                  unlikely

Comment

Sen Warren and I agree on the notion of two-income households being a trap. (Has it really made us better as a society?) Where we may not agree is how we, as a nation, escape the trap.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

If you know she isn't, why ask the question?*

*Because you're a troll.

Comment

Sen Warren and I agree on the notion of two-income households being a trap. (Has it really made us better as a society?) Where we may not agree is how we, as a nation, escape the trap.
                        You should read the book. It's not about what you think it is.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Read the book. Otherwise you have no idea what you're talking about. You also should go see "On The Basis Of Sex". Movie made about Justice Ginsburg. May open your eyes.
                          I just put in a request at my library for the book. Looking forward to seeing the movie.
                          Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                          7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Surprised that there has been no mention of this yet, as it was all-over the news here in NY on Tuesday, and continues to echo through “social media” platforms with a heavy presence locally. New York State passed the Reproductive Health Act (link), 46-years to the day since the Roe v. Wade decision. With both the Senate & Assembly having a Democrat majority, Gov Cuomo is wasting no time in “cashing-in” on his opportunities.

~TTF
                            Dave
                            RIT - '90

Comment

Originally posted by Transplanted Tiger Fan View Post
                              Surprised that there has been no mention of this yet, as it was all-over the news here in NY on Tuesday, and continues to echo through “social media” platforms with a heavy presence locally. New York State passed the Reproductive Health Act (link), 46-years to the day since the Roe v. Wade decision. With both the Senate & Assembly having a Democrat majority, Gov Cuomo is wasting no time in “cashing-in” on his opportunities.

~TTF
                              Catholics are now calling for Cuomo to be excommunicated.
                              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                              Patreon for exclusive writing content
                              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

To these Catholics, and to the leadership of the Catholic Church, I would say "Luke 6:42".

Comment

Working...
                                X