X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The "I Can't Believe There's No Abortion Thread" Abortion Thread

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

"Life" begins when the first cell division occurs after a fertilized egg implants in the uterine wall. That is just basic biology.
    Ugh... for **** sake.
    Division occurs well before implantation. That is "basic biology." The easiest way to think of it is that life is a continuous process.
    In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
    I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Oh ****.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        Oh ****.
        LOL. Badger halftime left me bored.

I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

http://www.askphilosophers.org/question/3942

Peter Smith's "gradualist" answer, IMHO, reflects "main street America's" thinking pretty accurately.
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

bump
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Nonsensical. You can remove the unborn child from the mother's womb to save the mother's life without killing the child in the process. Think "partial-birth abortion" except extract the child all the way instead of puncturing its skull when it is halfway out and then sucking out its brains with a vacuum cleaner.
              An attempt to move this over here. If we go by the 20 week mark, in the vast majority of "late-term abortions," the fetus is not viable even with the best medical care. Going with a 27 week mark as viability, they still have very poor outcomes even with vast resource allocation (I use that to convey the point that "everything" is attempted, not that it is a waste of resources). I am not sure you have a good grasp of developmental biology given your prior statement (below).

Here's the logical distinction that trips up most people.

"Life" begins when the first cell division occurs after a fertilized egg implants in the uterine wall. That is just basic biology.
              I really do not think the imagery you provide is useful to the discussion. Most medical procedures could be described in that way and it only adds to the entirely normal human visceral response, but does little to add to precision and clarity of the discussion.

Comment

The vast vast vast majority of this issue would go away if people just had responsible sex, or better yet, had no sex until marriage. I do not understand what is so hard about either option.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  The vast vast vast majority of this issue would go away if people just had responsible sex, or better yet, had no sex until marriage. I do not understand what is so hard about either option.
                  Poor sexual education, a tidal wave of hormones, and taboo.

Edit: I also agree with the first sentence (except maybe the "or better yet" part).
                  Last edited by WisconsinWildcard; 01-14-2015, 12:50 PM.

Comment

16-year olds are idiots drowning in a pool of hormones. Twas every thus; no society, even the Puritans who may hold the record for trying, has ever put a dent in pre-marital sex. The entire natural function of teenage girls is to be incubators and the entire natural function of teenage boys is to give them something to incubate. No amount of hocus-pocus will ever change that.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      16-year olds are idiots drowning in a pool of hormones. Twas every thus; no society, even the Puritans who may hold the record for trying, has ever put a dent in pre-marital sex. The entire natural function of teenage girls is to be incubators and the entire natural function of teenage boys is to give them something to incubate. No amount of hocus-pocus will ever change that.
                      Wanna bet? All you need is a one of these.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        Wanna bet? All you need is a one of these.
                        All snark aside if people want to save themselves for marriage, all power to them.

However Physics is King and Biology is Queen and their rule is absolute.

But as Phil Esterhaus said "Let's be careful out there! "
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Why isn't everybody perfect like me?
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

How's this sermon working in Africa there captain insane-o?

They'll go out and commit genocide because some pastor says to but they can't resist sex?
                            Last edited by Foxton; 01-14-2015, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              Why isn't everybody perfect like me?
                              I'm not perfect by any means (I should be working right now). I do know that it is humanly possible to have responsible sex and no sex. I'm not throwing some concept out there that has no chance of ever working. It's not necessarily easy to do either option, but many things in life are not easy to do but should be done, can be done, and do get done.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I'm not perfect by any means (I should be working right now). I do know that it is humanly possible to have responsible sex and no sex. I'm not throwing some concept out there that has no chance of ever working. It's not necessarily easy to do either option, but many things in life are not easy to do but should be done, can be done, and do get done.
                                Having never seen the actual data, I'm willing to bet that the average age of a woman having an abortion is under 25 and they will skew towards the poorer end of the income distributions. Under a certain age (go ahead, guess what that age is), women are more likely to be impulsive and look at short-term gains over long-term rewards. Add in lower income distributions, and you're more likely to have lower education attainment. It becomes much harder than your "I do not understand what is so hard about either option" statement would make it appear.

I don't like the idea of abortions outisde of medically necessary situations. I'd like to see these women and men take precautions or find adoptive services, but I'm also living in a world of harsh realities. Things don't happen neatly in order to coincide with some false god's plans.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X