Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3839404142434445464748495051 LastLast

Thread: The "I Can't Believe There's No Abortion Thread" Abortion Thread

Re: The "I Can't Believe There's No Abortion Thread" Abortion Thread

Conservatives who cheer sheriffs who defy laws will surely cheer this too, right?

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...-women-who-get

If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar

Cross Louisiana off your destination list. They're about to have a bill themselves...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ZQnBSYstzPo9ZE
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

I never meant to make you cry

“A good compromise is when both parties are dissatisfied”

― Larry David
    I got into a long discussion about abortion while having a few cocktails with my youngest daughter. She is of the thought that abortion should be readily available regardless. I am of the thought that with current birth control methods, elective abortion should be available but difficult to obtain and hardly ever performed. Here was our compromise:

1. All insurances will cover birth control (including IUD, "Morning-after pill", Norplants, BCPs, etc.) Condoms are considered a method of disease prevention not birth control. Tax breaks will be given to companies & providers that provide free birth control to any uninsured women.
    2. A fetal evacuation/extraction may be performed on ANY women whose life is endangered by pregnancy or a victim of rape (this includes incest). These procedures are not considered an abortion.
    3. A women may choose to have a first trimester abortion from a qualified provider for any reason.
    4. All insurances would be required to cover the costs of the first lifetime abortion to 100% of the typical surgical coverage (i.e. If a women's insurance covers 50% or 80% or all of the cost of an appendectomy, it would be the same for an abortion). Second lifetime abortion would be covered at 50% unless women voluntarily agrees to strict birth control methods which would change coverage to 100%. Third abortion would be 25%
    coverage unless women voluntarily agrees to strict birth control methods which would change coverage to 50%. Fourth abortion, hope your bank account is full. (Please note that medical contraindications to all available birth control methods would void the
    decrease in coverage)
    5. Second or third trimester abortions immediately add an additional lifetime abortion to a women's record (e.g. a first time second trimester abortions would be considered the women's second lifetime abortion and so on) unless valid rational can be provided (e.g.
    Medical condition prohibits surgery in first trimester,
    no available provider, etc. "I was too busy" or "I forgot" won't fly).
    6. Failure of documented properly utilized birth control methods that result in a first trimester abortion will not be counted on a women's lifetime abortion record.
    7. All insurances will cover 100% of delivery/prenatal/postnatal costs should baby be carried to term and put up for adoption.

By NO means is this a perfect plan and it clearly is not built to allow for every contingency out there (we were, after all, sucking down the cocktails). However, it could seemingly cut down on the number of abortions while keeping them readily available. She wasn't totally pleased with the idea but neither was I. Regardless, it will never happen. Both sides use this issue to fire up their base so any compromise is out of the question.

After reviewing what I just wrote, I think this one post probably contains more words than all of my prior posts put together.
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Groucho Marx
    "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
    Ron White
    "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
    Milo Bloom

Lucia Apologist

My plan is simpler: get government out of vaginas that aren’t theirs.

Either that or all men when born get mandatory but reversible vasectomies. Upon completion of an evaluation of their competency to father a child, insurance will cover 100% of the costs.

Technologieberater FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

My 82 year-old grandmother, slowly losing her battle with dementia, still managed to have the best take on this last night. She can't quite form the sentences right anymore, but the gist of her reaction to the news of the Alabama law was, "It's a private decision, and it should be left at that."
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

there's a good buck in that racket.
    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Either that or all men when born get mandatory but reversible vasectomies. Upon completion of an evaluation of their competency to father a child, insurance will cover 100% of the costs.

Take it then that dx supports euthanasia as well?

Evaluation panel is 100% women over age 50, too!!

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Take it then that dx supports euthanasia as well?
    To the extent the government should butt the **** out, yes.

To the extent the government should butt the **** out, yes.

War Mongering Conservadem!

I think if the states want to keep their laws fine...next time the Dems have control of the Federal Government they should pass a law that states that if a mother is denied an abortion in the first trimester and the baby is brought to term then they are entitled to state funds to pay for childcare. If the baby is born into a low income situation then they are to receive state sponsored welfare.

if States want babies to be born fine...they can friggin pay for them then. These Right to Lifers can use their tax dollars to help out the babies they so care for.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Can federal law dictate state spending as proposed???

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    I think if the states want to keep their laws fine...
    Sorry, but at a bare minimum I don't think it's "fine" that a woman be forced to carry to term any unviable, life-threatening, rape-related, and/or incest-related pregnancy in any part of this country.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Do people think this will significantly affect that 53% of white women who voted Republican? Honest question.

All that would need to happen to create a "permanent Democratic majority" is 20% of those women switching from R to D. .2 x .53 x .5 x .77 = .04, and a 4-point defection is an 8-point swing. That's the Presidency (and eventually the Court) and swings of 10 Senate seats and 50 House seats. And it's forever since R can't change its position on abortion; they are anti-abortion to their core.

Are those women truly anti-abortion (after all, many women are because of religious indoctrination) or are they ideologically allied to R but also, well, women, who can see their rights and their agency being taken away by men?
    Last edited by Kepler; 05-19-2019 at 07:49 AM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

No
    Mookie bets that 53% of white women voted for just this reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Do people think this will significantly affect that 53% of white women who voted Republican? Honest question.

All that would need to happen to create a "permanent Democratic majority" is 20% of those women switching from R to D. .2 x .53 x .5 x .77 = .04, and a 4-point defection is an 8-point swing. That's the Presidency (and eventually the Court) and swings of 10 Senate seats and 50 House seats. And it's forever since R can't change its position on abortion; they are anti-abortion to their core.

Are those women truly anti-abortion (after all, many women are because of religious indoctrination) or are they ideologically allied to R but also, well, women, who can see their rights and their agency being taken away by men?
    Guessing many of those 53% have daughters who might get knocked up early

Lucia Apologist

I suspect a good number of those 53% think that men should think for them.

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Sorry, but at a bare minimum I don't think it's "fine" that a woman be forced to carry to term any unviable, life-threatening, rape-related, and/or incest-related pregnancy in any part of this country.
    You have to read the rest of the post...it is only fine under one circumstance which is not possible. (the Fed forcing the States to pay for the baby they wouldnt allow aborted) I put it that way for a reason

(in case you dont get it...it cant happen so they shouldnt be allowed to keep their laws)
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Guessing many of those 53% have daughters who might get knocked up early
    Yeah but those daughters can get abortions...just like the staffers who get knocked up by Pro-Life politicians get them as well. Those abortions are done in the name of the common good
    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    Yeah but those daughters can get abortions...just like the staffers who get knocked up by Pro-Life politicians get them as well. Those abortions are done in the name of the common good
    Do as I say, not as I do. The GOP motto for four decades.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

I suspect a good number of those 53% think that men should think for them.
    Yes and no. Just like some men are born and raised to be janitors and construction grunts, some women are born and raised to be brood sows and diner waitresses. Just like Cleetus being jealous of billionaire industrial polluter Blake M. McButtofocco III and his playboy sons who bought their way into Harvard and Yale, it pi55es off Peggy Sue just as much (if not even more) that there are women who got to go to college, and marry rich men, and have more opportunities at the game of life than she did.

Thread Information