Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNO '14 -'15 season thread. Will the sleeper awaken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNO '14 -'15 season thread. Will the sleeper awaken?

I just read a tweet from a MN high school goalie, Kobie Boe from #2 rated Edina, that he's going to UNO.

Of course he's going there to play varsity golf, but still....

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
      I just read a tweet from a MN high school goalie, Kobie Boe from #2 rated Edina, that he's going to UNO.

Of course he's going there to play varsity golf, but still....
      That's pretty interesting. I have to think Coach Blais knows this. Looking at his stats, my guess is that he is a better golfer than a goalie. I suppose this could be a surreptitious way of getting another hockey player on campus, on scholarship, too. Goalie is probably the biggest question mark for UNO next season once Massa is gone, by the way.

Boe seems to have somewhat pedestrian numbers for a guy that has an 18-1-2 team playing in front of him. I wonder if they have any contingency plans to possibly press this guy into service here if they don't like what they have in Thompson or Crossthwaite?

Of note, too--I just took a look at UNO's men's golf team roster and EVERY current member of the team (except for one guy from Wichita) that isn't from the local area, is from a Minnesota high school! 4 guys on an 11 man team? It would be interesting to know if, and, if so, how many of them have high school hockey backgrounds. Worth me taking a look at although I suppose it shouldn't be too surprising that they have all played at least some hockey, at some point or another, high school or not.

Edit - The UNO spring golf season commences on February 23rd (although Boe is not a commit for this year), which would make playing both sports a practical impossibility, I would think.
      Last edited by Red Cows; 02-05-2015, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
        That's pretty interesting. I have to think Coach Blais knows this. Looking at his stats, my guess is that he is a better golfer than a goalie. I suppose this could be a surreptitious way of getting another hockey player on campus, on scholarship, too. Goalie is probably the biggest question mark for UNO next season once Massa is gone, by the way.

Boe seems to have somewhat pedestrian numbers for a guy that has an 18-1-2 team playing in front of him. I wonder if they have any contingency plans to possibly press this guy into service here if they don't like what they have in Thompson or Crossthwaite?

Of note, too--I just took a look at UNO's men's golf team roster and EVERY current member of the team (except for one guy from Wichita) that isn't from the local area, is from a Minnesota high school! 4 guys on an 11 man team? It would be interesting to know if, and, if so, how many of them have high school hockey backgrounds. Worth me taking a look at although I suppose it shouldn't be too surprising that they have all played at least some hockey, at some point or another, high school or not.

Edit - The UNO spring golf season commences on February 23rd (although Boe is not a commit for this year), which would make playing both sports a practical impossibility, I would think.
        I don't think Kobi views himself playing DI hockey. And I doubt Blais does either. He's a hell of a golfer from what I hear though. I just thought it was interesting since he's the #1 goalie on the #2 ranked team in MN high school hockey this season.

Edited to fix the spelling of Kobi's name.
        Last edited by goldy_331; 02-06-2015, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
          I don't think Kobie views himself playing DI hockey. And I doubt Blais does either. He's a hell of a golfer from what I hear though. I just thought it was interesting since he's the #1 goalie on the #2 ranked team in MN high school hockey this season.
          Of the 4 Minnesota guys that are on the current UNO 11 man Golf Team:

Junior Brandon Sletmoen of Hawley, MN does not have appeared to have played high school hockey

Nor did freshman Ryan Mayer of Eden Prairie High School, where he was a member of the same graduating class with current Maverick defenseman Luc Snuggerud and incoming (next season) forward Steve Spinner, who is currently playing with the Omaha Lancers.

Junior Alex Holtan of Buffalo, MN did play high school hockey at Buffalo High School, though, and freshman Lucas Gervais of Fergus Falls High School did, as well.

Wouldn't appear anything strange is going on here but it is sure is odd that UNO's 11 man golf team, next season, will feature 5 players from Minnesota high schools, at least three of whom have hockey backgrounds.

Obviously, I am sure there are a ton of guys that play high school hockey in Minnesota and never take it further.

Comment

Hockey is higher up the NCAA food chain than golf, so if he's on athletic scholarship, it would count towards the hockey team's total. I doubt it amounts to anything, as he's a better golfer than goalie, and I don't think he could be anything other than a third-string goalie without playing any sort of junior hockey, but you never know with the way Blais churns and burns through goalies.
            Originally posted by dicaslover
            Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
            Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

The question posed by the thread title has apparently been answered, the sleeper has awakened.

O.K. what movie is that phrase from? Not a soul has referenced this and I am, frankly, disappointed.

UNO's Avery Peterson wins the NCHC Rookie of the Month Award:

http://www.omaha.com/uno/mavericks-p...c036587a9.html

http://www.nchchockey.com/news_artic...rrer_id=878553

And, UNO has won the NCHC Rookie of the Week Award 5 times this season. This is the first "of the month" award. Starting the season with 11 freshmen (now, 10) they ought to be winning these awards and, with some regularity.

Comment

UNO forward Austin Ortega, with 9 game winning goals this season, is one away from tying the all time NCAA record of 10, shared by 7 guys and most recently done by Colin Hemingway of New Hampshire in 2001:

http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/6...indoffseas.htm

I guess the most prominent and interesting name on the list sharing the record is Aaron Broten, who did this for the Gophers in 1981.

A kind of interesting aside about Broten with an Omaha angle. He is the uncle of current Omaha Lancer and '15-'16 North Dakota commit Shane Gersich.
                Last edited by Red Cows; 02-06-2015, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Jack McNeely, a defenseman from Lakeville, MN, who will be here next season, at #177 on this list:
                  For your sake, I hope he's better than his brother
                  tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

UNO Captain Dominic Zombo will not play this weekend against WMU because of a groin injury.

For anybody that did not see this in the "free streaming online thread":

If you want to see UNO vs. Western Michigan this Friday night at 7:30 P.M., central, you can do so by watching NETV's live stream of the game, freebie, here:

http://netnebraska.org/interactive-m...gan-vs-omaha-0

NETV is Nebraska Public Television, on which several games per season are televised so the Mavericks can be seen, statewide.

This is as good of streaming feed as I have ever seen and is in hi-def.
                    Omaha World Herald story about Austin Ortega from today:

http://www.omaha.com/uno/shatel-esco...e4a34c68c.html

Comment

• Re: UNO '14 -'15 season thread. Will the sleeper awaken?

If UNO wants to seriously think Penrose, they have to get 6 this weekend
                      UNO Maverick fan and Gopher hater, stuck in Husky country...

Comment

Originally posted by 5thYearFreshman View Post
                        If UNO wants to seriously think Penrose, they have to get 6 this weekend
                        Agreed.

I entitled our series thread with North Dakota "The biggest series in UNO program history".

Until this week it was, anyway.

Comment

Wow, imagine that.

A poorly officiated home UNO game involving both Todd Lacina and Derek Shepherd.

Who'd a thunk?

Gee, UNO fan has never seen THAT before.

Comment

Wow, imagine that.

A poorly officiated home UNO game involving both Todd Lacina and Derek Shepherd.

Who'd a thunk?

Gee, UNO fan has never seen THAT before.
                            what, not enough calls go the Mavs way?

Comment

Just something UNO fans have seen a lot of. We've been screaming that these two clods for many a moon.

They either call a zillion penalties or hardly any at all. Any game they are involved in, THEY are the story.

I told my wife, pre-game, when I saw they were two of the officials in this game, that UNO was done before it even started.

Seriously, I did.

What a lousy thing to be right about.

Comment

Those two clods gave your Mavs 5 power play attempts and Broncos only 3

Comment

Working...
                                X