LSSU Lakers 2014-15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LSSU Lakers 2014-15

I was at the radio show on Monday and there was an interesting topic of discussion at my table. We were discussing assistant coaching salaries, and I was surprised to learn that Metro makes $13,000 less than Aubry, who makes $58,000. I would have thought it the other way around. Any thoughts as to why the veteran coach would make less?

Comment

Originally posted by LakerBuff View Post
      I was at the radio show on Monday and there was an interesting topic of discussion at my table. We were discussing assistant coaching salaries, and I was surprised to learn that Metro makes $13,000 less than Aubry, who makes $58,000. I would have thought it the other way around. Any thoughts as to why the veteran coach would make less?
      Assuming the figures are accurate, the most logical thing I can think of is that with Aubry we in fact are getting two coaches in one. First, a full time assistant, and second, a goalie coach. I think most of the bigger programs have separate goalie coaches many of whom who are probably getting paid at least part time money. We obviously don't have the money that the bigger programs have. We've had volunteer goalie coaches in the not too distant past. Don Muio helped out for a few years until health issues caused him to cease from doing that. I think Terry Barbeau helped out off an on for a couple of years. Damon Whitten may have felt that it was important enough to add consistency to the goalie coach function by making it a part of one of the two assistant coaching job positions with more salary being paid for that position. No doubt he would like to be able to pay more to both assistant coaches, especially Metro.

As to your "veteran coach" comment, both Metro and Aubry have 3 years of experience as a college assistant coach. Yes, Metro coached in France for 3 years prior to the team there folding, and that gives him a little more overall experience than Aubry, but both have equivalent college experience. The other thing to consider with Metro is that he was basically out of a hockey job and probably willing to take less in order to get back into coaching, especially in the Soo. Aubry still had a coaching job and was likely looking to move up (more money and/or bigger program) when taking the Lakers job.

I assume your purpose in bringing this up is to try and create dissension and stir up controversy. Standard Roquette agenda.
      Last edited by Bill; 10-08-2014, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
        Assuming the figures are accurate, the most logical thing I can think of is that with Aubry we in fact are getting two coaches in one. First, a full time assistant, and second, a goalie coach. I think most of the bigger programs have separate goalie coaches many of whom who are probably getting paid at least part time money. We obviously don't have the money that the bigger programs have. We've had volunteer goalie coaches in the not too distant past. Don Muio helped out for a few years until health issues caused him to cease from doing that. I think Terry Barbeau helped out off an on for a couple of years. Damon Whitten may have felt that it was important enough to add consistency to the goalie coach function by making it a part of one of the two assistant coaching job positions with more salary being paid for that position. No doubt he would like to be able to pay more to both assistant coaches, especially Metro.

As to your "veteran coach" comment, both Metro and Aubry have 3 years of experience as a college assistant coach. Yes, Metro coached in France for 3 years prior to the team there folding, and that gives him a little more overall experience than Aubry, but both have equivalent college experience. The other thing to consider with Metro is that he was basically out of a hockey job and probably willing to take less in order to get back into coaching, especially in the Soo. Aubry still had a coaching job and was likely looking to move up (more money and/or bigger program) when taking the Lakers job.

I assume your purpose in bringing this up is to try and create dissension and stir up controversy. Standard Roquette agenda.

From everything I hear the coaching staff is having a great time working with each other.
        BLEED BLUE

Comment

No agenda whatsoever. Just the topic among my cohorts at the radio show. Thought this group might have some thoughts or input. Not everyone has an agenda, Bill. Sometimes people are just plain curious.

Comment

No agenda whatsoever. Just the topic among my cohorts at the radio show. Thought this group might have some thoughts or input. Not everyone has an agenda, Bill. Sometimes people are just plain curious.
            So if you're Rich Metro or Pete Aubry you don't mind someone posting your salary info on a college hockey forum? Sure there's an agenda.

Comment

We have another recruit, forward Jaden Anderson who plays for the Omaha AAA hockey club. He's our first 98 birth date recruit.

Comment

So if you're Rich Metro or Pete Aubry you don't mind someone posting your salary info on a college hockey forum? Sure there's an agenda.
                As I said, it was the topic of discussion at my table. I do believe the salaries of most LSSU employees are public information, however, some of the people at the table were Blueliners, so they probably have inside info. In any case, I am just surprised that Metro doesn't make more than Aubry.

Comment

Brief summary of our two latest recruits from Over The Boards:

Lake Superior Adds Omaha AAA U16 Playmaker Jaden Anderson
                  Lake State went young, or at least, younger, picking up a key piece of Omaha’s offensive assault in 1998-born forward Jaden Anderson this week. The skilled forward is smooth and dynamic, a pass-and-skate center at 5’10 who can play physical at times as well. That appears to be the template for Omaha the past two years, they can play with an edge but when push comes to shove they’ll be right there with you in a shootout as well. Teammates Austen Long and Nico Blachman embody that sentiment and are two key uncommitted forwards to keep a close eye on this fall. Anderson, 16, is Lake Superior’s youngest recruit right now, and is a likely 2017 arrival, though 2016 could be possible.

Kanata Lasers Forward Ian Johnston Commits to Lake Superior
                  Lake Superior’s recruiting efforts continue to pay off as they secured a commitment from Kanata Lasers (CCHL) veteran Ian Johnston this year. Despite being in his 2nd year in the league, the Ottawa Senators AAA minor hockey product is just 17. Though our scouting efforts don’t stretch to the CCHL, one NCAA source who scouted Johnston this fall described him as “I like him; young buck, good jump, good energy, plays hard.” Johnston, a winger, is likely on track for a 2016 arrival on Lake Superior. Johnston leads Kanata in scoring so far this year, with 12 points through 15 games.

Comment

Brief summary of our two latest recruits from Over The Boards:

Lake Superior Adds Omaha AAA U16 Playmaker Jaden Anderson
                    Lake State went young, or at least, younger, picking up a key piece of Omaha’s offensive assault in 1998-born forward Jaden Anderson this week. The skilled forward is smooth and dynamic, a pass-and-skate center at 5’10 who can play physical at times as well. That appears to be the template for Omaha the past two years, they can play with an edge but when push comes to shove they’ll be right there with you in a shootout as well. Teammates Austen Long and Nico Blachman embody that sentiment and are two key uncommitted forwards to keep a close eye on this fall. Anderson, 16, is Lake Superior’s youngest recruit right now, and is a likely 2017 arrival, though 2016 could be possible.

Kanata Lasers Forward Ian Johnston Commits to Lake Superior
                    Lake Superior’s recruiting efforts continue to pay off as they secured a commitment from Kanata Lasers (CCHL) veteran Ian Johnston this year. Despite being in his 2nd year in the league, the Ottawa Senators AAA minor hockey product is just 17. Though our scouting efforts don’t stretch to the CCHL, one NCAA source who scouted Johnston this fall described him as “I like him; young buck, good jump, good energy, plays hard.” Johnston, a winger, is likely on track for a 2016 arrival on Lake Superior. Johnston leads Kanata in scoring so far this year, with 12 points through 15 games.

Damon and Staff doing a good job on the recruiting trail. Building for the future. I saw coach Metro at the USHL Fall Classic. They are beating the bushes as they should. Schools like LSSU and Michigan Tech have to work harder than some of the big name schools.
                    "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Public information is not trolling. Trolling would be how much more money has been placed into the budget for this regime compared to the last.
                      http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/z/zorro1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Yooper_by_choice View Post
                        Public information is not trolling. Trolling would be how much more money has been placed into the budget for this regime compared to the last.
                        Who said anything about trolling? I try to look at it from the viewpoint of Rich Metro and Pete Aubry. Even if their salary is public information, if I'm one of them would I want my salary posted out on a hockey internet forum. I don't think so. And I don't think LakerBuff's post was a simple curiosity thing.

Comment

Who said anything about trolling? I try to look at it from the viewpoint of Rich Metro and Pete Aubry. Even if their salary is public information, if I'm one of them would I want my salary posted out on a hockey internet forum. I don't think so. And I don't think LakerBuff's post was a simple curiosity thing.
                          I'm in agreement with Bill in thinking there was an agenda behind that post. For the simple fact that anyone that was only wondering why Aubry made more than Metro would have stated it as such, without bringing in the actual dollar amounts. That's a bush league move, it's a little ironic that these people that have made it their mission to try and stir up controversy regarding the new regime thinks they are doing it in honor of JR when it reality it only casts a worse light, it's sad. The Lakers have an exciting new coach who is bringing in a boatload of recruits and I for one am very excited to see what the future holds!

Comment

As I said, it was the topic of discussion at my table. I do believe the salaries of most LSSU employees are public information, however, some of the people at the table were Blueliners, so they probably have inside info. In any case, I am just surprised that Metro doesn't make more than Aubry.
                            I don't think there is a hidden agenda here . People wonder all the time how much do coaches make or people in general in high level jobs. I think as Lakerbuff says it was a topic that came up at his table and he just wondered if was true or not. I do like the fact after last nights loss that Whitton said there are areas that need work on if they are going to get better. Roque would have just said he was happy with their effort and they just need to get the puck to go in the net more.

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                              I don't think there is a hidden agenda here . People wonder all the time how much do coaches make or people in general in high level jobs. I think as Lakerbuff says it was a topic that came up at his table and he just wondered if was true or not. I do like the fact after last nights loss that Whitton said there are areas that need work on if they are going to get better. Roque would have just said he was happy with their effort and they just need to get the puck to go in the net more.
                              Thanks for your support. I guess I'll keep my idle curiosity to myself in the future for fear of being labeled a Roquette. Too many bullies on this forum who think they own the rights to what's discussed.

Comment

So, did anybody on here watch last night's game? I was only able to read the recap this morning, and I have found recaps don't necessarily tell the while story. It sounds as though the Lakers were in the game for most of the night.
                                Go Lakers!

Check out the Laker Hockey Blog, it's good for you! http://lakerhockeyblog.com

Comment

Working...
                                X