• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UAH Hockey 2014-15: The 30th Varsity Season

Here's an update on our recruits' seasons thus far:

1. Austin Beaulieu Wichita Falls (NAHL) 5 gp 1-2-3
    2. Cam Knight Wichita Falls (NAHL) 5 gp 1-4-5
    3. Joey Marooney Sioux Falls (USHL) 4 gp 2-0-2 (preseason games)
    4. Teddy Rotenberger Topeka (NAHL) 4 gp 0-1-1
    5. Robets Smits Bloomington (USHL) 3 gp 0-0-0 (preseason games)
    6. Connor Wood Amarillo (NAHL) 4 gp 0-2-2

2016-2017
    1. Ivan Bondarenko Wenatchee (NAHL) 3 GP 1-0-1

I'm extremely encouraged by Cam Knight's numbers. Surprised he didn't catch on with a USHL team considering he had a strong year with Lawrence in the prep ranks. Joey Marooney's numbers are also encouraging despite being preseason games. Scoring in the USHL is no easy task. Got to wonder if some of these guys, like Rotenberger and Wood, may need an extra year of juniors to get bigger, stronger, and just more mature in their games before they play in the WCHA. I guess it will all depend on how they do this year.

Possible Targets:
    1. Nathan Krusko MN Magicians (NAHL) 4 gp 3-2-5. A '96 from Atlanta and played on the same TPH team as Beaulieu, Rotenberger, and Wood last year. Similar in stature to both Wood and Beaulieu, he put up good numbers in the top youth ring in the U.S. Can score and dish with the best of em in his age group. Another possible add to our TPH-UAH pipeline.

2. Josh Wilkins Austin Bruins (NAHL) 4 gp 1-4-5. A '97 from North Carolina, also played for TPH last year, albeit on the U16 National Team. Led the team in scoring. On Sioux City's (USHL) affiliate list. Strong skater and a big time playmaker. Hope we're taking a look at him.

I want us to get the best of the best in the South early. If we do, maybe we can fend off some of these Northern suitors. Let me know what y'all think.

Comment

Everything I've heard (including from him) is that Rotenberger will be here next fall. Cheryl Luongo raves about how good of a kid he is and what he'll mean in a locker room if nothing else. I should ask her to compare him to Ryan Burkholder sometime. Wood may stay one more year depending on how he plays.

Part of me thinks that we're going after American kids because it's 1) a gold mine for us to pull kids from the Southeast and 2) you stand a much better chance of getting them into school right away. As I remember it, Smits and Bondarenko both played for US prep schools last season.

It's good to see the kids putting up the numbers.

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Smits did. Bondarenko was the one destroying the NORPAC with 101 in 37.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffissiffoeG View Post
          Smits did. Bondarenko was the one destroying the NORPAC with 101 in 37.
          You're right. Thanks for that.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Smits got cut by Bloomington. His twitter says he's headed to Texas. Likely one of the many NAHL teams they've got down there. Maybe Wichita Falls with Knight and Beaulieu. Sad he didn't stick in the USHL, but he'll likely get more important minutes in the NA.

Joey Marooney made the cut in Sioux Falls, which is a great sign. He's probably our best recruit out of this class. Small in stature, but I'm hoping for some decent numbers this year.

Comment

Joey needs to eat whatever Cody ate to get to be 6' 200#. I agree with you about Smits.

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Smits is headed to Amarillo and is still on the Thunder's affiliate list. The Bulls are owned by the same company that owns Bloomington so they're keeping him in the family.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                  Joey needs to eat whatever Cody ate to get to be 6' 200#.
                  They have a younger brother too that is better and smaller.
                  Originally posted by dicaslover
                  Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                  Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Well, it looks as though we lost another freshmen this year. Brandon Salerno is back home in Ontario playing for the Pickering Panthers in the OJHL. He has 3 goals and 3 assists in 2 games so he's certainly trending in the right direction. Any one know if he is still committed and is just coming in in 2015-2016?

Geof mentioned that Starzynski would not be coming to UAH. I hope Poulsen works out. We've only got 13 forwards on the roster. Sure one of the 8 defenseman could jump up to provide depth in case of injury, but we need more guys who were recruited for the position for competition, depth, and development over the next 4 years.

Comment

I know that the coaching staff is disappointed that we lost a couple kids. I don't think anyone enjoys having just one depth forward when we thought that we'd have three. I haven't talked to the coaches about Salerno, but I expect that he'll be back. It could be just as simple as not getting all the academic stuff nailed down. That's happened to UAH before with those guys eventually coming to Huntsville (and I'm not naming names because that's totally unfair to do).

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Just checked the roster and -- just today I imagine -- a forward named James Block from Wisconsin has been added, apparently straight out of high school. So there's 14.
                        Michael Napier - UAH '97
                        uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                        U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                        NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                        CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                        CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Too bad UAH can't call back any of those kids they cut after last season to fill out the roster.
                          Originally posted by dicaslover
                          Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                          Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                            Too bad UAH can't call back any of those kids they cut after last season to fill out the roster.
                            We've been back-filling with some guys who know that they're here on a trial basis. If you've watched the roster over the last week or two, you've seen the names pop up. A notable name for Huntsville people is Bryan Siersma, back in town after a couple of years playing AAA in Dallas and three years in a smaller junior league out there. We need bodies, and who knows?

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

LET'S GO CHARGERS!
                              http://uahhockey.com/blog/2014/10/09...ege-oct-10-11/
                              Michael Napier - UAH '97
                              uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                                I know that the coaching staff is disappointed that we lost a couple kids. I don't think anyone enjoys having just one depth forward when we thought that we'd have three. I haven't talked to the coaches about Salerno, but I expect that he'll be back. It could be just as simple as not getting all the academic stuff nailed down. That's happened to UAH before with those guys eventually coming to Huntsville (and I'm not naming names because that's totally unfair to do).

GFM
                                About Salerno:
                                http://hockeynow.ca/junior/from-the-...g-in-pickering
                                Michael Napier - UAH '97
                                uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X