Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A Discussion of US Immigration Policy

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Its easier to 'legally' buy guns than popcorn along the border.
    Whoa. You aren't supposed to back a call for an immigration crackdown with a call for gun control. Don't cross the streams!
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Were I a Republican strategist, I'd call for volunteers like the LDS Church, Catholic Charities, evangelical church groups, to become involved in helping the children. Perhaps even start an international relief effort to get the children from Central America into adoption agencies / foster homes starting out from there, rather than have them traverse through Mexico unaccompanied. Move these children out of refugee camps....

Instead, offer to put lots and lots of these children into good conservative homes where they will be raised to become staunch lifelong Republican voters. Then watch the Democrats suddenly scramble to change their tune.

Way past time to stop using children as pawns in adult political wars.

(an organization I'd love to start: SUOCAP.org: stop using our children as pawns.)
      Last edited by FreshFish; 07-21-2014, 09:25 AM.
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Your typical foster system is overloaded, so it's not like there isn't a call on all available beds already there. I can't say if that's the case in every single state, but from all I hear, that's the norm.
        Originally posted by Priceless
        Good to see you're so reasonable.
        Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
        Very well, said.
        Originally posted by Rover
        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          Were I a Republican strategist, I'd call for volunteers like the LDS Church, Catholic Charities, evangelical church groups, to become involved in helping the children. Perhaps even start an international relief effort to get the children from Central America into adoption agencies / foster homes starting out from there, rather than have them traverse through Mexico unaccompanied. Move these children out of refugee camps....

Instead, offer to put lots and lots of these children into good conservative homes where they will be raised to become staunch lifelong Republican voters. Then watch the Democrats suddenly scramble to change their tune.

(an organization I'd love to start: SUOCAP.org: stop using our children as pawns.)
          In one breath you're saying you want to use the children as leverage to get the Democrats to change their tune, and then in the next saying we should stop using the children as pawns.

Does. Not. Compute.
          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

I don't think that was a serious proposal. They of course shouldn't be used for leverage, and various parts of the proposal are not realistic or feasible.
            Originally posted by Priceless
            Good to see you're so reasonable.
            Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
            Very well, said.
            Originally posted by Rover
            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
              Does. Not. Compute.
              That's the whole point of irony, is it not? It is not supposed to "compute." Isn't it supposed to be a jarring juxtaposition of two incompatible ideas?
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

I know various Catholic dioceses are welcoming the wetbacks. I don't know whether to applaud or scream.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  I know various Catholic dioceses are welcoming the wetbacks. I don't know whether to applaud or scream.
                  Wow. Really?

Comment

That's the whole point of irony, is it not? It is not supposed to "compute." Isn't it supposed to be a jarring juxtaposition of two incompatible ideas?
                    If that was supposed to be ironic it was pretty poor. One does not generally use irony to juxtapose two ideas raised by oneself -- it's supposed to be an interesting way to cross-reference existing, non-adjacent ideas.

I think he just caught you being a hypocrite and you're covering.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Um, no. Irony is getting a result that is opposite of the intended/expected effect. If you (Dems) hit me with a stick and then I (Reps) hit you with a bigger stick, there is no irony involved - that's just a good old-fashioned arms race, and the Republicans would have simply clobbered the Dems at their own game. If you swing your stick at me, but it breaks in mid stroke and springs back to hit *you*, then that would be ironic.
                      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        If that was supposed to be ironic it was pretty poor. One does not generally use irony to juxtapose two ideas raised by oneself -- it's supposed to be an interesting way to cross-reference existing, non-adjacent ideas.

I think he just caught you being a hypocrite and you're covering.
                        Yeah, if anything he was trying to be satirical and falling miserably.

Dramatic irony is where the audience is in on it but the speaker isn't, such as Juliet saying her wedding bed will be her deathbed. Situational irony is a firefighter having to put out a fire on his own fire truck.

This was just...a poor attempt at social commentary.

Comment

Sounds familiar...

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            Wrong end of the marionette.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Perry's sending a thousand troops to the Mexico border. Feds should do it...but states should also pay their fair share of the overall tax burden. I'd rather not hear 'we need more federal border troops...and see, we have no state income tax' in the same sentence.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                                Perry's sending a thousand troops to the Mexico border. Feds should do it...but states should also pay their fair share of the overall tax burden. I'd rather not hear 'we need more federal border troops...and see, we have no state income tax' in the same sentence.
                                It's like private school vouchers: "you should pay for my preferences." Classic back-door free riding, drizzled in the piquant sauce of bogus self-reliance.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 07-22-2014, 10:00 AM.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X