Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A Discussion of US Immigration Policy

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    I'm not sure what you're saying. Do you think culture is some sort of First Cause that can't be affected by other factors?

Parents naturally, biologically care about their kids. It takes a huge contrary force to counter that, and our system creates that force by pushing people into ghettos, poverty, drug abuse, and incarceration. Some of those things are addressable, and fixing them relaxes the tension in the network and allows culture to move back to where it normally resides -- supporting family.

I think you're falling into the Biological Fallacy, where culture is viewed as some sort of living organism that has its own will. That's not true at all -- a culture, like an economy, isn't really a thing at all, it's just the sum of forces brought to bear on individuals from tensions throughout society. Relax those tensions and the warping effect on individuals will dissipate.
    I think it's not either or. Outside circumstances substantially shape the choices we make, but the individual also has responsibility for the choices they make. So, you're correct to an extent, but so is Critical Thinker in that an improvement in circumstances won't fix everything and make people necessarily make the right choices. Look at rich people, who in certain ways definitely have advantages in life, but often have lives that are really messed up.
    Originally posted by Priceless
    Good to see you're so reasonable.
    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
    Very well, said.
    Originally posted by Rover
    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
      I think it's not either or. Outside circumstances substantially shape the choices we make, but the individual also has responsibility for the choices they make. So, you're correct to an extent, but so is Critical Thinker in that an improvement in circumstances won't fix everything and make people necessarily make the right choices. Look at rich people, who in certain ways definitely have advantages in life, but often have lives that are really messed up.
      True, being rich -- at least, growing up rich -- has rival environmental dangers (Paris Hilton and Mitt Romney are case studies of how both ignorant and clever people can fall afoul of spoiled bliss).

Environmental circumstances provide the mean around which the distribution arranges itself normally. Graphing a y-axis of "moral strength" against an x-axis of wealth, the graph would look like the camel hump y = -x^2, with x=0 as the median wealth in the society. But each of those points would itself be simply the mid-point of a normal distribution of actual people varying on all their other characteristics, including innate, individual character.

One of the many salubious effects of leveling is it pulls more people towards a higher ethical mid-point from which to add (or subtract) their personal characteristics.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

True, being rich -- at least, growing up rich -- has rival environmental dangers (Paris Hilton and Mitt Romney are case studies of how both ignorant and clever people can fall afoul of spoiled bliss).
        I'd love to hear more of how you define failure at life.
        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
          Lacking integrity is a good place to start.

Comment

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
            Snorting coke off some guy's back in your sex tape.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
              Anyone who doesn't share his world view must have something wrong with them??
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Do you have any mirrors in your house?
                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                  Snorting coke off some guy's back in your sex tape.
                  Originally posted by Rover View Post
                  Do you have any mirrors in your house?
                  This is exactly what I would have expected from you two, who know much less about me than you pretend to, but I was asking Kepler. I was surprised by his equating Mitt Romney with Paris Hilton in life outcomes.
                  But I have to know, where did you get a copy of that tape?

Have any of you guys watched the Mitt campaign documentary? Any other opinions on him as a human being? (Priceless and Rover, I'll politely ask you to refrain from commenting)
                  Last edited by geezer; 07-29-2014, 08:32 AM.
                  Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.

Comment

This is exactly what I would have expected from you two, who know much less about me than you pretend to, but I was asking Kepler. I was surprised by his equating Mitt Romney with Paris Hilton in life outcomes.

Have any of you guys watched the Mitt campaign documentary? Any other opinions on him as a human being? (Priceless and Rover, I'll politely ask you to refrain from commenting)
                    I find nothing surprising about drawing that parallel. Nothing at all.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                      I find nothing surprising about drawing that parallel. Nothing at all.
                      I guess I shouldn't be surprised either, but it's hard for me to understand how most people view accomplishment. For one thing, I realize CEO's are pure evil so that's a black mark , but Mitt was also Governor for quite some time. Is the public service thing not cool any more? Or maybe losing a national popularity contest cancels that out? The unpopularity with the masses is the only commonality I'm seeing. Is all human worth based on popularity?

Comment

Sorry Sparky, but I don't take orders from you.

I have watched Mitt and its amusing for two reasons. 1) the look on his face when he lost, and 2) how he seems like a nice guy completely out of touch with reality.

Romney has disgraced himself post-election with the biggest case of sour grapes this side of John McCain.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

I guess I shouldn't be surprised either, but it's hard for me to understand how most people view accomplishment. For one thing, I realize CEO's are pure evil so that's a black mark , but Mitt was also Governor for quite some time. Is the public service thing not cool any more? Or maybe losing a national popularity contest cancels that out? The unpopularity with the masses is the only commonality I'm seeing. Is all human worth based on popularity?
                          His level of arrogance is off the charts. He's the atypical rich guy who is totally clueless on how most people have to live. Popularity has nothing to do with it.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                            I don't take orders from you.
                            Listen, nobody's giving you orders. It was actually a request made for your own benefit, not mine. This immature response is a good illustration of how you could serve your own credibility by backing off for a while when your fits of temper get out of your control.

Comment

Listen, nobody's giving you orders. It was actually a request made for your own benefit, not mine. This immature response is a good illustration of how you could serve your own credibility by backing off for a while when your fits of temper get out of your control.
                              Thank you gramps for looking out for my own interests! Perhaps you'd like to share with us your thoughts as election results started rolling in that night in 2012...

Comment

Environmental circumstances provide the mean around which the distribution arranges itself normally. Graphing a y-axis of "moral strength" against an x-axis of wealth, the graph would look like the camel hump y = -x^2, with x=0 as the median wealth in the society. But each of those points would itself be simply the mid-point of a normal distribution of actual people varying on all their other characteristics, including innate, individual character.

One of the many salubious effects of leveling is it pulls more people towards a higher ethical mid-point from which to add (or subtract) their personal characteristics.
                                You make it much more formulaic than I believe it is, but I'll agree there's some merit in what you say. If you were religious, you'd make a good Calvinist.

Salubious? Or probably meant to be Salubrious? Always fun when people use words that aren't part of everyday speech.
                                Originally posted by Priceless
                                Good to see you're so reasonable.
                                Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                                Very well, said.
                                Originally posted by Rover
                                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Working...
                                X