Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your Political Stance - 2014 Edition

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    It's likely the importance of the various items on the list. If you rated it as very important in the past, but only as important now (perhaps because things have improved in that area, in your opinion), that will move your score more towards the center than last time. Or, of course, the opposite would be true if you're moving further from center on a rating. Now, if you've moved from somewhere on the left to being on the right, then you've got other considerations, but that's not something we've seen out of people reporting their results here.
    My thoughts as well.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

It's likely the importance of the various items on the list.
      Easy to test it. Set up two tests with identical answers, keep one as a control, then start moving individual answers around, either the answer or its weighting. The algorithm should be pretty obvious after a few manipulations.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Easy to test it. Set up two tests with identical answers, keep one as a control, then start moving individual answers around, either the answer or its weighting. The algorithm should be pretty obvious after a few manipulations.
        Yeah, but this is an internet thing that's only somewhat interesting. I'm not putting that much effort into it.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Yeah, but this is an internet thing that's only somewhat interesting. I'm not putting that much effort into it.
          I've always thought it would be neat to try to design "critical test" questions that both left and right (and statist-ish and anarchist-ish) people could agree on. Too often, these tests are transparently trying to frame thinking to produce the "correct" answer ("Should the FDA control heroin or should 6-year-olds be permitted to shoot smack at recess?"). We would need a diverse panel of honest hard-left, soft-left, middle of the road, soft-right, and hard-right people to design non-leading questions. Then, the calibration of the answer space (the place where you put the origin) would also have to be non-leading. Is "middle of the road"ness operationally defined as the centerpoint of all answers, or is it theoretically pre-determined and then let the answers fall where they may -- perhaps predominantly in one sector?
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by bob gray View Post
            centrist social moderate.
            Left: 0.59
            authoritarian 0.96
            foreign policy: -0.96
            culture: 2.8

so, slightly non-interventionist and somewhat socially conservative. Sounds about right.

lol!

Comment

To Bob's credit, unlike many Christians I'm pretty sure he believes in actually helping the poor, just through tithing and charitable donations, instead of government means. That makes him more bleeding heart than some would think, and certainly more liberal than most pro-corporate neoconservatives.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                To Bob's credit, unlike many Christians I'm pretty sure he believes in actually helping the poor, just through tithing and charitable donations, instead of government means. That makes him more bleeding heart than some would think, and certainly more liberal than most pro-corporate neoconservatives.
                Tithing and charitable donations are obviously good, but if that's all one does, to me that falls short. To me one should also get out there and first hand help with things. As Americans, many of us have the means to financially contribute, but to just write a check and then think one has done all there is to do is to me falling short of what one can do. There's tons of places out there to volunteer at, etc.

And I'll trot out there my usual comments about how my stances on things like the death penalty are hardly in lock-step with what people think of as conservative. But, that's part of the problem of labeling people and sticking them in a box. There's usually a lot more nuance to things, but nuance doesn't fit in boxes well.
                Originally posted by Priceless
                Good to see you're so reasonable.
                Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                Very well, said.
                Originally posted by Rover
                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                  And I'll trot out there my usual comments about how my stances on things like the death penalty are hardly in lock-step with what people think of as conservative. But, that's part of the problem of labeling people and sticking them in a box. There's usually a lot more nuance to things, but nuance doesn't fit in boxes well.
                  Yeah, you're right. I didn't bother playing with the "importance" sliders on each question and kept them all at medium, because I couldn't be bothered to take the time. If I had to go through and rank each question, instead of being Right: 0.77 and Libertarian: 2.46, I'd probably be around Right: 1.0 and closer to Libertarian: 1.0. I care more about spending and guns than I do gays and God.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                    Tithing and charitable donations are obviously good, but if that's all one does, to me that falls short. To me one should also get out there and first hand help with things. As Americans, many of us have the means to financially contribute, but to just write a check and then think one has done all there is to do is to me falling short of what one can do. There's tons of places out there to volunteer at, etc.
                    This should be a whole other dimension on the political quiz: active vs passive. It's uncorrelated with social or economic views. Just as there are socially active conservatives (tons of church groups doing great charitable work) and socially passive conservatives (the Randian "let them eat concrete" types), there are liberal equivalents (socially conscious volunteers vs those who are content to pay their taxes and do nothing more). At their best, both the religious conservative and secular liberal traditions stress the importance of going out into the community and directly serving the poor -- not just because it helps them, but because it germinates something inside the giver that is also "blessed."
                    Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      At their best, both the religious conservative and secular liberal traditions stress the importance of going out into the community and directly serving the poor -- not just because it helps them, but because it germinates something inside the giver that is also "blessed."
                      and also because it germinates something inside the receiver as well. One hopes that it gives the recipient a sense of "hey, maybe I am worthwhile after all, if these people are coming here to help me out. Maybe they see something in me I haven't noticed inside myself yet." One hopes further that it helps encourage a greater sense of both self-reliance and also a "pay it forward" reciprocity in the recipient:

"what do I owe you?"

-- you don't owe me a thing.
                      I've been there too.
                      Someone once helped me out
                      the way I'm helping you.

If you really want to pay me back
                      Here's what you do.
                      Don't let the chain of love
                      End with you.
                      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                        "what do I owe you?"

-- you don't owe me a thing.
                        I've been there too.
                        Someone once helped me out
                        the way I'm helping you.

If you really want to pay me back
                        Here's what you do.
                        Don't let the chain of love
                        End with you.
                        Ahh yes, Flyover Country's "Kumbaya".

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          Ahh yes, Flyover Country's "Kumbaya".

Reminds me of that famous New Yorker cartoon, that has a map: NYC / Hudson River / San Francisco.
                          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                            I am f*ed. I'm hardcore hawk and economy, but socially very liberal. I have no home. Once upon a time I thought Arnold was going to lead us into new times. the trashy bum. him. and then Romney seemed so upright and upstanding, handsome Michigan boy (not that they are not a dime a dozen back here in DeToilet, oops, I mean Michigan. now who do I vote for? Hillary? or some right wing whack job that the Republicans run?
                            You are sort of what Romney campaigned as when he ran first for senate and then successfully for Governor of Massachusetts. He may not have been socially "very liberal", but was certainly moderate / left leaning on many social issues. That was of course before he had to move right to secure the nomination.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                              and also because it germinates something inside the receiver as well. One hopes that it gives the recipient a sense of "hey, maybe I am worthwhile after all, if these people are coming here to help me out. Maybe they see something in me I haven't noticed inside myself yet." One hopes further that it helps encourage a greater sense of both self-reliance and also a "pay it forward" reciprocity in the recipient
                              I completely agree.

State welfare programs are necessary but they have a pernicious effect where neither giver nor receiver feel they are connected. The receiver feels no responsibility which just deepens his anomie, while the giver feels his contribution is wasted which allows opportunists to career-build by tub-thumping resentment.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                                You are sort of what Romney campaigned as when he ran first for senate and then successfully for Governor of Massachusetts. He may not have been socially "very liberal", but was certainly moderate / left leaning on many social issues. That was of course before he had to move right to secure the nomination.
                                I thought McCain was a good viable candidate before he felt the need to move there too. This dynamic must be driving a lot of fiscally conservative, socially moderate Republicans crazy.

Comment

Working...
                                X