Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728

Thread: The Good Thoughts and Prayers Needed Thread 2

Re: The Good Thoughts and Prayers Needed Thread 2

Quote Originally Posted by Lady wore Black View Post
    * Dementia!

My aunt died yesterday after a 5 year battle with the horrible disease.
    that is a nasty thing. Sorry

Barring a minor miracle, likely going to have to take the kitty in at the end of the week for a final visit. Went from having a minor limp to a fully paralyzed hind leg in less than 24 hours. Emergency vet thought diabetes, but the blood work came back normal. Next steps aren't really options for an elderly kitty. Wife's bringing him home with a few days worth of pain meds to see if it clears on it's own, but otherwise...Yeah.

Lucia Apologist

Sorry. Losing a family member sucks.

so hard when they can't tell you

Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    Barring a minor miracle, likely going to have to take the kitty in at the end of the week for a final visit. Went from having a minor limp to a fully paralyzed hind leg in less than 24 hours. Emergency vet thought diabetes, but the blood work came back normal. Next steps aren't really options for an elderly kitty. Wife's bringing him home with a few days worth of pain meds to see if it clears on it's own, but otherwise...Yeah.
    Sorry, uno. I have a feeling your cat has been blessed with a good life.

If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar

This morning, I learned my pastor has stage 1 endometrial cancer. Lucky for Jen, they caught it early and she's going in for surgery in November.
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

It's been 4.5 months. This foot still isn't healed yet, and if nothing happens by next month, I get a bone stimulator. Therapy is going okay, even though I can't walk for more than 10 minutes at a time.

Also, I interviewed for a Behavioral Technician position last week, working with autistic kids age 2 to 10. Right now, they're reviewing my references and will get back to me later this week. I'm hoping I get this job, even if it means a pay cut. So tired of taking jobs unrelated to my field (psychology/mental health/social work), and this would be a much welcome change.
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka

I got an email back from Developmental Enhancement early this afternoon. I GOT THE JOB! Now I'm not completely out of the woods yet. I still have to do an online training, be observed and pass that observation, and then pass a 90 day evaluation/"new hire" time period. I am totally excited to begin this new chapter of my life, and I know I am meant for this.

If you would, please offer continued thoughts, prayers, and good vibes as I move into this new chapter. I wouldn't have applied if I didn't think I can do it, and I believe with the right training and the right attitude, nothing is impossible. I want to thank all of you for your support, because I don't think I would have had the courage to move on this had you not encouraged me.

Also, I think this is part of the benefits of hormones. Prior to HRT, I never would have tried to leave a "safe" position in favor of the unknown. Hormones gave me the courage to apply for grad school. Hormones gave me the courage to think I could leave a "safe" position. Other places didn't work out for me and may not have been the right fit after all. I think this one is the right fit. Now I wait to hear back on a start date.

Life moves forward. Glad I chose to be a passenger who changes things.
    ― Franz Kafka

Any thoughts, positive vibes, prayers that can be spared would be appreciated. mum les is in another pickle of her own doing and is squirming like a worm on a hook trying to avoid doing what she needs to. The LISW who was working the case told les that she needed to stay out of it, taht mum les was being abusive and the team would give message that ml needed to be responsible for plan. Then LISW left job, without telling us, before the Family meeting. New LISW sailed in, told us it was all the family responsibility, that it might be possible for mum les to live with a family member (les) and that it was the family's responsibility to do everything. The facility didn't do that.
    Not sure who needs the prayers more- me or mum les.

Lucia Apologist

I have no idea where else to put this. But I felt like this was the best place since I'm sad and I wanted to share the story.

Trying to pay for a wedding is hard. Especially when you have as much of a problem asking for any kind of help like I do. My dad is my financial guru. He's also a being of pure logic and math. He's a goddam pointy-eared, green-blooded hobgoblin. Anyways, we both decided that the first thing I should do is start selling some of my matured Treasury Bonds. I had been receiving them from my late grandfather, my late great-grandmother, and my parents basically since I was born.

My dad gave me the manilla envelope with the bonds a month or two ago. I didn't think much of it, but I stashed them away safely knowing I'll be cashing them in in the next several months most likely. After the conversation with my dad, we both decided that I should sell the matured bonds first and then look at the other ones to see if it's worth holding to maturity or selling. We get done talking about this late last night with him and my fiancee staying until almost 10 PM. My fiancee and I talk the whole ride home about family, both those still with us and those we've lost. We talk about how much I love my parents and how my dad is basically a Vulcan. It also comes up that I'm driven by logic, but my mother gave me a pretty big sense of sentimentality.

Now, we get home and I try to find the bonds stashed in my important document safe. I find the manilla envelope my dad labeled, "dx's Savings Bonds" and dump the envelope out onto the table. There is a ledger for taxes and there were also several other envelopes. A couple addressed to me from my grandpa, grandma, and uncle in my grandpa's handwriting. One of them has a little note that reads, "$5.00 towards small battery powered car". I don't even remember what this is referring to, but it sounds like something I would have asked for as a young child.

Then I finally come across a thick envelope with Toys-R-Us stickers and a couple of train stickers. It reads:

For dx
    WHEN ALL OF THE TOYS, BOOKS, CRAYONS AND
    GAMES ARE AT THE SANITARY LANDFILLS, UNCLE
    SAM AND THIS BOND FROM FATHER TIME AND
    HIS FAMILY* WILL BE THERE TO HELP PAY THE
    BILLS."
    *SOME HELP FROM THE SCRAP INDUSTRY.........................................FROM: UNCLE SAM & THE (FAMILY NAME)s

I smile and open the envelope. These are 30-year bonds. They're still paper, I don't think you can even get paper bonds anymore. Some of them are so old they still have punch holes for verification. I start looking at the design and realize, wow, these are still addressed to me and my dad at our first house. Then I start looking at the issuing banks. Most don't even exist anymore. Some are even from savings and loans banks. But then I realize, the first one on the stack is stamped seven days after I was born. I get misty-eyed right away. These were my first Christmas presents ever. They were from my grandpa. They're one of the last remaining attachments I have to him.

I put them back into the envelope and re-read the note he wrote to me on the front. I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to cash them in. I just break down crying. I miss my grandpa and I really wish he was here to see them put to good use.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

Math atheist

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I have no idea where else to put this. But I felt like this was the best place since I'm sad and I wanted to share the story.

Trying to pay for a wedding is hard. Especially when you have as much of a problem asking for any kind of help like I do. My dad is my financial guru. He's also a being of pure logic and math. He's a goddam pointy-eared, green-blooded hobgoblin. Anyways, we both decided that the first thing I should do is start selling some of my matured Treasury Bonds. I had been receiving them from my late grandfather, my late great-grandmother, and my parents basically since I was born.

My dad gave me the manilla envelope with the bonds a month or two ago. I didn't think much of it, but I stashed them away safely knowing I'll be cashing them in in the next several months most likely. After the conversation with my dad, we both decided that I should sell the matured bonds first and then look at the other ones to see if it's worth holding to maturity or selling. We get done talking about this late last night with him and my fiancee staying until almost 10 PM. My fiancee and I talk the whole ride home about family, both those still with us and those we've lost. We talk about how much I love my parents and how my dad is basically a Vulcan. It also comes up that I'm driven by logic, but my mother gave me a pretty big sense of sentimentality.

Now, we get home and I try to find the bonds stashed in my important document safe. I find the manilla envelope my dad labeled, "dx's Savings Bonds" and dump the envelope out onto the table. There is a ledger for taxes and there were also several other envelopes. A couple addressed to me from my grandpa, grandma, and uncle in my grandpa's handwriting. One of them has a little note that reads, "$5.00 towards small battery powered car". I don't even remember what this is referring to, but it sounds like something I would have asked for as a young child.

Then I finally come across a thick envelope with Toys-R-Us stickers and a couple of train stickers. It reads:

For dx
    WHEN ALL OF THE TOYS, BOOKS, CRAYONS AND
    GAMES ARE AT THE SANITARY LANDFILLS, UNCLE
    SAM AND THIS BOND FROM FATHER TIME AND
    HIS FAMILY* WILL BE THERE TO HELP PAY THE
    BILLS."
    *SOME HELP FROM THE SCRAP INDUSTRY.........................................FROM: UNCLE SAM & THE (FAMILY NAME)s

I smile and open the envelope. These are 30-year bonds. They're still paper, I don't think you can even get paper bonds anymore. Some of them are so old they still have punch holes for verification. I start looking at the design and realize, wow, these are still addressed to me and my dad at our first house. Then I start looking at the issuing banks. Most don't even exist anymore. Some are even from savings and loans banks. But then I realize, the first one on the stack is stamped seven days after I was born. I get misty-eyed right away. These were my first Christmas presents ever. They were from my grandpa. They're one of the last remaining attachments I have to him.

I put them back into the envelope and re-read the note he wrote to me on the front. I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to cash them in. I just break down crying. I miss my grandpa and I really wish he was here to see them put to good use.
    I know it’s not the same, but could you make a copy of the first one to put back in the envelope? Then you kind of have it, even though you don’t.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    If you don't want to cash them (or cash all of them), have you thought about taking a personal loan from a bank to cover the cost? It would be much cheaper than using a credit card, and it could help build up some credit. That's how my wife and I did our wedding. Family paid for a little of it. But we covered the rest, and I did it with a personal loan.

I absolutely understand where you're coming from with the sentimental value. My heart sank just before I read how much they meant to you, because I had a feeling that's exactly where the story was going.

It sounds like you're not in a hurry, so sleep on it. Don't make a hasty decision.

On the other hand, he did intend for you to use them. Perhaps you could keep the first/oldest one(s) and cash in the rest?
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19 ECAC Regular Season Champions
    2013 East Regional Champions, Frozen Four
    2014 East Regional
    2015 West Regional
    2016 ECAC Tournament Champions, East Regional Champions, Frozen Four
    2019 Midwest Regional

there's a good buck in that racket.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
    On the other hand, he did intend for you to use them. Perhaps you could keep the first/oldest one(s) and cash in the rest?
    WHat Mark said.

Dx will be honoring their wishes
    After the crayons and all

They will be helping you pay for something special, and be there with you guys more than ever.
    And then you two can continue the Vulcan tradition

Internet Nutcase
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
    I had some savings bonds my dad had bought for me when I was young, ranging from $50 to $1000 face values. I ended up cashing them all in except for one that was purchase the month I was born.

Lucia Apologist

That’s exactly what I’m going to do. I’ve come to grips with it.

The first one is the most important.

Thread Information