X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Headline News Thread

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
    What are these more efficient organizations and practices? And seniority really only helps with scheduling and vacations.

Unions aren't necessary for every job out there, and certainly aren't perfect, but they are far from useless.
    I mentioned OSHA, for business laws and such. And there's always the ACLU for the social/religion/whatever aspect. Add the FSLA also:https://www.dol.gov/whd/flsa/

Bigger things than unions happened, because of unions. Awesome. Truly.

Edit: Seniority also helps with positions. With a certain delivery company or two, it helps with routes AND positions.
    Last edited by The Rube; 12-20-2017, 12:26 AM.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      I mentioned OSHA, for business laws and such. And there's always the ACLU for the social/religion/whatever aspect. Add the FSLA also:https://www.dol.gov/whd/flsa/

Bigger things than unions happened, because of unions. Awesome. Truly.

Edit: Seniority also helps with positions. With a certain delivery company or two, it helps with routes AND positions.
      I got trained for my current position over people senior to me. If they want that changed they should become involved and try to negotiate it into their next contract.

The FSLA doesn't prevent my boss from making me work more than 6 days in a row, or telling me to come in at noon instead 2....my union contract does. If I call off sick on Dec 23rd (my last day to work before Christmas), I still get my holiday pay for Christmas. Only union employees at my company get that, because it's in our contracts.

OSHA and the ACLU will take time to address a problem...my shop steward, or section chair, can deal with it day of.

I have a complaints about union life too, but in my experience, we're better off in one. Good union leadership will make all the difference.
      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
      Originally posted by Quizmire
      mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
      MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
      I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

• Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
        I got trained for my current position over people senior to me. If they want that changed they should become involved and try to negotiate it into their next contract.

The FSLA doesn't prevent my boss from making me work more than 6 days in a row, or telling me to come in at noon instead 2....my union contract does. If I call off sick on Dec 23rd (my last day to work before Christmas), I still get my holiday pay for Christmas. Only union employees at my company get that, because it's in our contracts.

OSHA and the ACLU will take time to address a problem...my shop steward, or section chair, can deal with it day of.

I have a complaints about union life too, but in my experience, we're better off in one. Good union leadership will make all the difference.
        I’ll echo this. OSHA and the ACLU aren’t getting your job back and they take a ton of time to resolve, doubly so given our plutocratic slaves running all three branches. A union can get things resolved day of.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          Unions had their place and they did well for the workers. Nowadays I don't think they are needed as much, if at all.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
            Wow, unlike JJ and MNS, your response is very well thought-out and detailed.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Sometimes Brent plays "what if Fishy was a little smarter?" I'm hoping it's a bit.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Here's a good article on why these employees are looking for union representation.

https://digboston.com/blood-suckers-...agers-bedbugs/
                A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  Sometimes Brent plays "what if Fishy was a little smarter?" I'm hoping it's a bit.
                  Just because I am not fond of unions? *shrug*

Not a bit. It's my opinion. JJ and MNS have their opinions on unions. We disagree, and nothing more.

Comment

I'd like to see a union of all workers who sit in front of a computer. I have a feeling we're about 70% of the workforce at this point, not to mention 70% of consumption. A general strike and boycott would be extremely effective.

Anger can be power. Know that you can use it.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

One union I've had to deal with at work is so inefficient that it effectively doubles the amount of time to get any work done. It is so bad that for several projects I've worked on we've contracted the work out to a 3rd party company instead of doing it in-house and dealing with the union. Projects got done in half the time as they would have, and at a higher quality.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        IMO, I don't think min wage laws are solely union anymore. As I said, many more orgs are out there.

I've been in warehousing for 23 years, none union. The biggest complaints I hear from union workers?
                        1. Union strikes? I can't cross, or I'll be a scab and will be frowned upon for anything good that comes up in the future.
                        2. Seniority. Doesn't matter if I can do the job better. Seniority wins out.

Unions started something very good, but they have outlived their usefulness, due to more efficient (and more in number) orgs and practices.
                        My own observation about unions.

First, I don't necessarily see unions as the mortal enemy that some more conservative people, or some business people, might. They can actually be a useful tool for businesses, whether it's insuring that you'll have enough electricians on the job site to finish the project, to enforcing certain employment rules. When an employee starts complaining about something, it is nice to have the second voice of the union basically telling the employee that nothing can be done about it.

That said, I personally would not want to be in a union because they have the effect of making everyone "average" in terms of wages, benefits, promotions, etc... When I was an employee, I tried to be of a mindset that if I looked to my left, I was a better employee than the person standing beside me, and if I looked to my right, I was a better employee than that person, too.

I really don't think the value of unions for employees is in the area of wages/benefits or protection from termination. I personally have had at least five instances in the last 30 years involving a union where we wanted to increase the pay of employees mid-contract to remain competitive in the employee marketplace. In a couple of instances we just elected to wait until the contract was up, but in two of the instances we actually had to go to the union and "negotiate" a mid-contract pay increase (an employer can't grant it unilaterally).

Also, even though many non-union employers can terminate employees for any reason so long as it doesn't violate something like human rights laws, most employers don't act arbitrarily like that. I know for me it is too hard and too expensive to find and train employees. I'm not going to fire them just because I can. If there is a real reason to fire them, I'll be able to meet any "just cause" requirements of a union contract.

The primary benefit for employees in being in a union frequently depends upon the type of job. I personally don't think your average administrative assistant sitting in an office building at the Minnesota state capitol needs to be unionized. But for jobs like MNS is talking about, or jobs in the healthcare industry or restaurant service industry, a union can obtain certain benefits that employees won't otherwise be able to obtain. For instance, a requirement that an employee called in on their day off receive at least "x" hours of pay. That way you don't get called in for just an hour or something.

I think the union system does create some problems for employees. As you alluded to, a strike can put employees in life altering situations, especially if they happen to be a relatively young or new employee. The seniority system can also result in a "s h ! t rolls down hill" workplace where it's always the young, new employees who have to get called in on all the weekends and holidays, etc..., making it very hard to attract and retain new employees.

It's not a perfect system, and as I said, I wouldn't want to be in one, but it also isn't the major obstacle to business it's sometimes made out to be.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                          Wow, unlike JJ and MNS, your response is very well thought-out and detailed.
                          Because "unions were once necessary, but aren't any more" is a completely original thought and hasn't been the calling card of Republicans since forever?

FFS, I said the same thing when I was an 18-year old in Nebraska and fully indoctrinated. I grew up. What's your excuse?
                          Last edited by unofan; 12-20-2017, 09:10 AM.

Comment

I used to say the same thing. Even as recently as 2010. I quickly realized that without any collective bargaining power for white collar jobs, we've seen stagnant wage growth as those jobs replaced blue collar jobs.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              I used to say the same thing. Even as recently as 2010. I quickly realized that without any collective bargaining power for white collar jobs, we've seen stagnant wage growth as those jobs replaced blue collar jobs.
                              Correct.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I worked at UPS for 8 years and rarely had any issues with the union guys. Sure a few of them were malcontents that would push buttons to see what they could get away with, but when called to the carpet they would ultimately get the job done and at UPS we didn't eff around with inefficiency. I didn't envy any of those guys from Thanksgiving through the end of the year either. I did ride-a-longs often during the holiday season and they earned every penny we paid them.

Comment

Working...
                                X