X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Headline News Thread

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Today in NO SH-T.
    They want "religious freedom," but want to deny my civil liberties.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
      See you in the unemployment line.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/pro...U42?li=BBnb7Kz
      A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
        Can't say I'm either surprised or bothered by her termination.

Is it wrong of me to think she got exactly what she deserved?
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I'm a little bothered by it. She wasn't advocating for his punishment, only saying that if you're going to trespass into unfriendly nations, expect severe consequences if/when you're caught.

So much for the integrity of holding forth an independent thought in academia.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I'm not sure I disagree with her on the facts. Her tact is a little harsh but should she be punished for that?
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              The integrity of holding forth an independent thought in academia has an operational definition: tenure. She didn't have it.

It sounds like she was a real as-s clown. I probably agree with her politically 99%, but I have no need to see her have a slot that someone with a little more circumspection and common sense could have.

She's not the hill I'm dying on.

It is, however, also true that if this had been a conservative mouthing conservative idiocies the entire Echo Camber would have wailed LIBURAL CENSORSHIP!!11!1 if he had been kicked out.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                I'm not sure I disagree with her on the facts. Her tact is a little harsh but should she be punished for that?
                In a word, yes. That's beyond tact.

And here's the thing. The privilege that academic protection affords extends, in my opinion, to your own field. It is conferred because you've studied the facts of a situation and you know more than the conventional wisdom, so you should be allowed to hold forth contrarian positions. When you conflict with the masses you get to have your say because you're an expert and the masses are asses.

But this adjunct professor was just talking out of her as-s the same way you or I would about something she knows nothing more than you or I do. On this subject, she's just another opinionated f-ckwit.

Finally, having a knee-jerk reaction to straight, cis, white males is so 1988. Wake up to the new century, sweetie. You're not speaking truth to power, you're speaking last generation's dull-witted, over-generalized, ill thought out bromides to a new generation of students who are hungry to create their own generation's NEW dull-witted, over-generalized, ill thought out bromides!
                Last edited by Kepler; 06-26-2017, 09:28 AM.
                Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  I'm a little bothered by it. She wasn't advocating for his punishment, only saying that if you're going to trespass into unfriendly nations, expect severe consequences if/when you're caught.

Except it wasn't in the course of academic work. Just someone spouting off on social media. To me, the problem was the impression that him dying is him getting what he deserved.

The fact that a 20 year old white male didnt anticipate the full consequences of his actions isn't surprising nor is North Korea throwing the book at an American who violated their laws.

He certainly did not deserve to die for what he did.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                    Except it wasn't in the course of academic work. Just someone spouting off on social media. To me, the problem was the impression that him dying is him getting what he deserved.

The fact that a 20 year old white male didnt anticipate the full consequences of his actions isn't surprising nor is North Korea throwing the book at an American who violated their laws.

He certainly did not deserve to die for what he did.
                    She definitely worded what (I think) she meant very poorly. IMO, if you are an American, going to N Korea is idiotic. That being said, the kid didn't deserve what he got. Because of how she worded her thoughts...I'm not really bothered with her punishment.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      She definitely worded what (I think) she meant very poorly. IMO, if you are an American, going to N Korea is idiotic. That being said, the kid didn't deserve what he got. Because of how she worded her thoughts...I'm not really bothered with her punishment.
                      Right. If he really wanted a souvenir that badly, he should have just gone on down to the gift shop in the lobby to get one, not trying to swipe it from the hallway. Heck, it wasn't that long ago when that tourist kid was in Singapore and got caned for littering. several good whacks on his backside with a bamboo stick as I recall it. And Singapore isn't nearly the shibbyhole that North Korea is.
                      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Dude certainly had all the earmarks of a spoiled, bro'd out date rapist. Someone will need to find another long stick middle at Avon Old Farms.

But the rule is if somebody with a different flag murders you you're a --sniff-- national hero and nobody gets to criticize you.

Rick: They got a lucky break. Yesterday they were just two German clerks. Today they're the "Honored Dead".
                        Ugarte: You are a very cynical person, Rick, if you'll forgive me for saying so.
                        Rick: I forgive you.
                        She didn't get fired for being wrong. She got fired for being stupid.
                        Last edited by Kepler; 06-28-2017, 08:17 AM.
                        Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          Dude certainly had all the earmarks of a spoiled, bro'd out date rapist. Someone will need to find another long stick middle at Avon Old Farms.

But the rule is if somebody with a different flag murders you you're a --sniff-- national hero and nobody gets to criticize you.

She didn't get fired for being wrong. She got fired for being stupid.
                          Hey! Leave the Winged Beavers out of this! Pick on the Rhinos!
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                            Right. If he really wanted a souvenir that badly, he should have just gone on down to the gift shop in the lobby to get one, not trying to swipe it from the hallway. Heck, it wasn't that long ago when that tourist kid was in Singapore and got caned for littering. several good whacks on his backside with a bamboo stick as I recall it. And Singapore isn't nearly the shibbyhole that North Korea is.
                            at all
                            Agree. The punishment certainly didn't fit the crime but it is some kind of crazy to go to that country and do anything but behave perfectly. Either the kid never had anyone say no to him or he was not bright. Rubs me the wrong way that the parents are deifying the kid

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                              Rubs me the wrong way that the parents are deifying the kid
                              1. That's what parents do.

2. Kids don't just have their character spawned spontaneously. The parents are probably a piece of work, too.
                              Cornell University

Comment

The new Google News is horrid.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X