Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Quinnipiac Bobcats off season

2014 Quinnipiac Bobcats off season

Over sooner than anyone of us wanted but we have a lot to look forward to.
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19 ECAC Regular Season Champions
    2013 East Regional Champions, Frozen Four
    2014 East Regional
    2015 West Regional
    2016 ECAC Tournament Champions, East Regional Champions, Frozen Four
    2019 Midwest Regional

Re: 2014 Quinnipiac Bobcats off season

Now have to worry about BVB leaving early and possibly Peca.

I will have more on next years team later today.

With this season over, it's time to look ahead to October and the 2014-15 edition of Quinnipiac Bobcats hockey. Any guesses on who next year's captain and A's might be? I think Federico would make a good captain. Peca and BVB (if he stays) will likely wear the A's. As those 3 will comprise our entire senior class next season I guess it's possible we might see an underclassman in the mix... St Denis perhaps?
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    2014 East Regional
    2015 West Regional
    2019 Midwest Regional

Quote Originally Posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
    Now have to worry about BVB leaving early and possibly Peca.
    Hearing all the chatter about BVB I guess it's likely but I'm not convinced. Personally I don't think Peca goes anywhere. I know his parents are big on the education side of things, and he has the potential to have his best year as a Bobcat. It'll be an interesting week or two upcoming for sure.
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    2014 East Regional
    2015 West Regional
    2019 Midwest Regional

I think Federico is the captain with Peca wearing at least an A.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
    Hearing all the chatter about BVB I guess it's likely but I'm not convinced. Personally I don't think Peca goes anywhere. I know his parents are big on the education side of things, and he has the potential to have his best year as a Bobcat. It'll be an interesting week or two upcoming for sure.
    With BVB money will talk. There have been a good amount of free agent juniors that have left early.

Bryce's parents have a very similar philosophy to Peca's from what I hear yet it sounds like Peca is a better listener than BVB I really think it'll be a shock if BVB doesn't go at this point. Has multiple offers and probably some guarantees to be on an NHL surface immediately

Quinnipiac '13

Losing both JST and BVB would be huge losses for this team. With all the speedy, skilled players on this team, bruisers are needed. Too often, including last night, this team struggled with more physical teams. JST and BVB were arguably the strongest, most physical players on the Bobcats last year.

Losing both of those guys would be a tough blow. Unfortunately, looks like as are heading that way.

Quote Originally Posted by MSchvatz44 View Post
    Losing both JST and BVB would be huge losses for this team. With all the speedy, skilled players on this team, bruisers are needed. Too often, including last night, this team struggled with more physical teams. JST and BVB were arguably the strongest, most physical players on the Bobcats last year.

Losing both of those guys would be a tough blow. Unfortunately, looks like as are heading that way.
    Completely agree. It doesn't look like any of the incoming recruits are bruisers either. I'll get into the recruits more later today.

Losing both JST and BVB would be huge losses for this team. With all the speedy, skilled players on this team, bruisers are needed.
    Well, we knew we'd have to deal with no JST next year. BVB would be tough to replace, but look at the recruits due in 2 years... still no "bruisers". Hopefully Rand and his staff have given this some thought and are planning the appropriate changes to their systems.
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    2014 East Regional
    2015 West Regional
    2019 Midwest Regional

BVB is gone. Signed with Calgary per the New Haven Register. He will go directly to the NHL and be the first QU player to play in an NHL game.

Congrats to BVB!

Here's the writeup from Chip Malafronte: https://nhrcollegehockey.blogspot.com...us-x-none.html
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    2014 East Regional
    2015 West Regional
    2019 Midwest Regional

GO BOBCATS!!

Quote Originally Posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
    BVB is gone. Signed with Calgary per the New Haven Register. He will go directly to the NHL and be the first QU player to play in an NHL game.
    I saw another person tweet that he's the first Quinnipiac player to ever leave early to sign an NHL contract.

Congrats to Van Brabant. Look forward to seeing how his skill-set translates to the NHL.

Here's the writeup from Chip Malafronte: https://nhrcollegehockey.blogspot.com...us-x-none.html
    Interesting last paragraph in that piece:

Forward Matthew Peca, whose NHL rights belong to Tampa Bay, stated earlier this winter he plans to return to Quinnipiac for his senior season.
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    2014 East Regional
    2015 West Regional
    2019 Midwest Regional

Let's go Tech!

Maybe he'll learn from his fellow ECAC-mate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7SuV7u4Xn0
    Clarkson Golden Knights Men
    10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
    5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
    21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
    ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
    ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018
    7 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
    National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Quinnipiac '13
    Well, we knew we'd have to deal with no JST next year. BVB would be tough to replace, but look at the recruits due in 2 years... still no "bruisers". Hopefully Rand and his staff have given this some thought and are planning the appropriate changes to their systems.
    I know that JST is gone. My point was that those two guys were vital to the team's success this year, and losing both (BVB unexpectedly) is going to leave a void not easily replaced.

My selfish reasons aside, a huge congrats to Bryce is in order. If you would have told me when he first started at QU that he would be the school's first NHL player, I would not have believed you. That said, I wish him nothing but the best and will be expecting my BVB Flames shirt in the mail shortly.

I know that JST is gone. My point was that those two guys were vital to the team's success this year, and losing both (BVB unexpectedly) is going to leave a void not easily replaced.
    We can always hope that they have someone in the wings who can utilize BVB's scholly.

If you would have told me when he first started at QU that he would be the school's first NHL player, I would not have believed you.
    Luke and I both wondered if he'd ever play, let alone be a regular. Credit his determination to make himself a better hockey player.

That said, I wish him nothing but the best
    As do I, and, I suspect, everyone else in Bobcat Nation.
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    2014 East Regional
    2015 West Regional
    2019 Midwest Regional

GO BOBCATS!!

Flames announced the Van Brabant signing, and also confirmed it's a two-year contract with an AAV of $1.35 million. Pretty impressive payday for the kid. Good for him.

Quote Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
    Flames announced the Van Brabant signing, and also confirmed it's a two-year contract with an AAV of $1.35 million. Pretty impressive payday for the kid. Good for him.
    I would probably leave school for that amount, good luck to him, the Yale forwards also thank him for leaving!
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

With the season now over early than we wanted now time to look at the 2014-15 Bobcats season.

Players departing
    Kellen Jones
    Connor Jones
    Jordan Samuels Thomas
    Cory Hibbelar
    Zach Tolkinen
    Brooks Robinson
    Bryce Van Brabant, Jr. (Signed with the Calgary Flames)

Key Players Returning
    Matthew Peca, F, Sr. (If he doesn't leave early for the NHL)
    Dan Federico, D, Sr.
    Travis St. Denis, F, Jr.
    Alex Barron, D, Jr.
    Michael Garteig, G, Jr.
    Sam Anas, F, So.
    Connor Clifton, D, So.
    Devon Toews, D, So.
    Brayden Sherbinin, D, So.
    Derek Smith, D, So.
    Tommy Schutt, F, So.
    Tim Clifton, F. So.
    Joe Fiala, F/D, So.

Incoming Players
    K.J. Tiefenwerth, 5'9 160, F (RS Sophomore, transferred from UMass-Amherst eligible in 2014-15 season)
    Landon Smith, 6'0 186, F (43 goals, 40 assists in 58 games for Salmon, BCHL) (Former Denver Commit)
    Canon Pieper, 5'10 181. F (33 goals, 33 assists in 57 games for Coquitlam, BCHL)
    Bo Pieper, 5'11 180, F (27 goals, 32 assists in 58 games for Coquitlam, BCHL)
    Jonah Renouf, 5'8 155, F (20 goals, 41 assists in 52 games for Surrey, BCHL)
    Nathan Renouf, 5'8 155, F (15 goals, 34 assists in 40 games for Surrey, BCHL)
    Andrew Taverner, 5'11 180, F (28 goals, 34 assists in 54 games for Sherwood Park, AJHL)
    Tanner MacMaster, 5'10 154, F (11 goals, 29 assists in 48 games for Camrose, AJHL) (Former BC Commit)
    Sean Lawrence, 6'0 180, G (30-8-3, 1.74 GAA .930 SV% in 48 games for the Jr. Bruins Premier)
    Kevin McKernan, 6'0 185, D (6 goals, 21 assists in 48 games for the Jr. Bruins Premier)

Possible 2014-15 recruits (These players go stay back in juniors one more year or be in Hamden this coming season)
    Nelson Gadoury. 6'1 191, F (12 goals, 28 assists in 50 games for Camrose, AJHL)
    Craig Martin, 6'0 175, F (13 goals, 17 assists in 50 games between Alberni Valley and Vernon, BCHL)
    Scott Davidson, 6'1 190, F (16 goals 19 assists in 54 games for Trail, BCHL)

*My thought on is that I would either bring either Nelson Gadoury or Scott Davidson to Hamden this year maybe even both of them since they are bruising players. Both are big PIM guys something that Bryce Van Brabant was known for in juniors as well. They are going to need some toughness and I think both of these guys could replace BVB and JST in terms of toughness potentially.

Recruits 2015 and beyond
    Logan Mick F, Vernon (BCHL)
    Matt Muzyka F, Salisbury School
    Chase Priskie D, Salmon (BCHL)
    Vince Pedrie, D, Indiana (USHL)
    John DeRoche, F, Jr. Bruins U16
    Alex Whelen, F, NJ Hitmen U16
    Ryan Finnegan, F, Skipjacks Hockey Club U16
    DJ Petruzzelli, F, Springfield Cathedral
    Keith Petruzzelli, G, Springfield Cathedral
    Logan Coomes, F, Frederick Freeze Jr. B

With that breakdown I really like next year's team offensively. Now they are going to have to rely on a lot of freshman forwards to contribute on offense early on but I think they have the young players that possibly could do that. There is a lot of quality talent coming in from both the BCHL and AJHL along with Tiefenwerth becoming eligible. With Peca hopefully returning and the early word is that he will I expect a really good season from him. I'd love to have him centering the top line with Sam Anas and Landon Smith on the wings. That could be pretty deadly. Hoping that Travis St. Denis will take even a bigger step forward next year as he becomes such an important offensive contributor.

My biggest concerns will be toughness at the forward position with no BVB and JST graduating and if Michael Garteig and take even a greater step in 2014-15 and improve on his .912 SV%. Garteig really needs to have a great summer of workouts improving his and get that Save% in the .930's like some of the other top goalies in the country.

As for the captains next year I see Federico as the captain along with Peca an A and either St. Denis or Barron an A.

This team will also have 3 sets of brothers next year with the Cliftons, the Pieper brothers and the Renouf twins. There could be some good chemistry on lines if the Renouf's and Piepers are in the lineup all the time which I expect they likely will be along with playing on the same line as their sibling. Should be interesting. Love to see others thoughts on next years squad.
    QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
    2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
    2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
    2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
    https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
    https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
    https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/