This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2nd Term Part VIII - The Thin Red Line

In the meantime, Press Secretary Jay Carney has resigned.

Friday - slow news day.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
      John McCain's service is to be commended. John McCain's lessons learned from his service are not. There's a list of like 10 places he currently wants to have US troops in right now (Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Syria, Mali, Ukraine, Nigeria, etc etc). No. Thanks.

Having said that, he didn't deserve the whispering campaign your hero W subjected him to, so much so McCain's own daughter says she still hates Bush's top advisor for it 14 years later....
      This is the old "support the troops but not the mission" routine. You can't have it both ways. There are no levels of respect owed to combat vets and doing so is a massive disservice to them. You are telling them that it's nice they risked their lives for their country but that other guy risked his life and is better than you because of when it was done. They don't get a choice of where they go or what happens in the world. They sign up and go where they are needed and serve to the best of their ability and should be admired for that. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
        This is the old "support the troops but not the mission" routine. You can't have it both ways. There are no levels of respect owed to combat vets and doing so is a massive disservice to them. You are telling them that it's nice they risked their lives for their country but that other guy risked his life and is better than you because of when it was done. They don't get a choice of where they go or what happens in the world. They sign up and go where they are needed and serve to the best of their ability and should be admired for that. Period.
        Actually you can. One can easily feel for the troops, but not support the war. Iraq is a great and recent example of that. To say otherwise is completely stupid, if that's what you're going for kudos to you!
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
          Beg to differ. To not speak out against military action which puts our soldiers' lives at risk but which is unjustified or poorly supported is irresponsible. Soldiers are not idiots. I have a friend who went to a military academy, became a ranger, and spent two years jumping out of helicopters at night into the Afghan mountains and who was extremely critical of the work he was being asked to do because of the military policy behind it (trusting Afghan intelligence and military support primarily). This guy completely supported his father, who had another son in a different academy and was proud of his sons' service, writing letters to the editor questioning our military policy there at the time. In both father's and son's view, it was simply a matter of lives being wasted for little gain or purpose.

I may have misunderstood your post, Tiggsy, but it is not only possible to support the troops and not the mission, it is our duty to oppose a mission we feel is bad policy just as it is our moral obligation to support the soldiers themselves. We may be wrong, of course, but we owe it to those soldiers to speak out against a mission we feel is unjustified yet likely to cost them their lives.

Again, I may have misunderstood you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
            WWII vets from my experience (and that whole generation to be fair) are a special bunch. They fought in the worst conflict in world history, all pulled together to serve a higher purpose, then came home undettered by what they experienced and drove this country economically to new heights. If you aren't fortunate enough to have dealt with people from that era, I feel sorry for you.
            This post makes me ill. All of our troops deserve our support and you cherry picking them depending on the politics of the war is beyond me.

Edit: and for the record I have dealt with a number of vets. My grandfather was in the Navy during WII in the pacific theater and my uncle is a Vietnam vet. My cousin never saw armed conflict but he was in the airborne. Another uncle has a stepson who is currently serving on an aircraft carrier and a cousin has a stepson in the army as well.
            Last edited by dxmnkd316; 05-30-2014, 05:49 PM.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Resubscribed
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                Resubscribed
                OK, I'm slow. What do posters mean when they do that?

Comment

When you post in mobile, it unsubscribes you from a thread so you have to post again to resubscribe
                  Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    When you post in mobile, it unsubscribes you from a thread so you have to post again to resubscribe
                    Thx. Ignorance is a little embarrassing.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                      Beg to differ. To not speak out against military action which puts our soldiers' lives at risk but which is unjustified or poorly supported is irresponsible. Soldiers are not idiots. I have a friend who went to a military academy, became a ranger, and spent two years jumping out of helicopters at night into the Afghan mountains and who was extremely critical of the work he was being asked to do because of the military policy behind it (trusting Afghan intelligence and military support primarily). This guy completely supported his father, who had another son in a different academy and was proud of his sons' service, writing letters to the editor questioning our military policy there at the time. In both father's and son's view, it was simply a matter of lives being wasted for little gain or purpose.

I may have misunderstood your post, Tiggsy, but it is not only possible to support the troops and not the mission, it is our duty to oppose a mission we feel is bad policy just as it is our moral obligation to support the soldiers themselves. We may be wrong, of course, but we owe it to those soldiers to speak out against a mission we feel is unjustified yet likely to cost them their lives.

Again, I may have misunderstood you.
                      I assume that when you talk about a "duty to oppose a mission we feel is bad policy" you're excluding parading around with the flags of our enemies and traveling to their capital cities to pose with their soldiers. And let's not forget causing our POW's to be tortured for refusing to participate in enemy dog and pony shows.

And with the deepest respect for your friend, who has certainly earned it, let me point out that b*tching is something people in the service do, just about all the time. On matters great and small. And when they're in situations involving contact with an enemy, the b*tching is louder and more pointed. As a general rule, GI's (officers and enlisted) think the people above them in the chain of command are idiots, who have no idea "what we're up against."
                      Last edited by Old Pio; 05-30-2014, 07:24 PM.
                      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                        I assume that when you talk about a "duty to oppose a mission we feel is bad policy" you're excluding parading around with the flags of our enemies and traveling to their capital cities to pose with their soldiers. And let's not forget causing our POW's to be tortured for refusing to participate in enemy dog and pony shows.
                        Yes

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                          You mean people who parade around with the Confederate Flag?

Comment

From the WaPo - it's a great read, and I'm not a particular fan of the paper's content... http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...y.html?hpid=z3

Hope you all can read it - enjoy.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              In the meantime, Press Secretary Jay Carney has resigned.
                              Who's going to be the new White House Spokeskid?
                              BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                                You mean people who parade around with the Confederate Flag?
                                Such a sly boots you are. But apparently unable to differentiate between displaying the enemy's flag while the fighting and dying is actually going on and doing so 150 years later. Pish, tush, it's all the same in ******* land, isn't it? Jane Fonda and some Kappa Alpha Order pledge? The same.
                                Last edited by Old Pio; 05-31-2014, 01:37 AM.
                                2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Working...
                                X