Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 113

Thread: NMU Offseason Thread - 2014 Edition

  1. #1
    potternmu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Ida, MI
    Posts
    858

    NMU Offseason Thread - 2014 Edition

    Well... kind of a lackluster season for the Wildcats. 7th place finish in a very competitive WCHA. I think many of us who follow the team were hoping for a better finish, considering we were heading into a league where the teams were on a bit more of a level playing field - at least on paper. Lots of chances to finish higher in the standings and finish with the home ice advantage in the first round, but the Cats were just unable to take advantage of some of their chances.

    Heading into the 14-15 season, NMU loses its top two scorers and a couple of good D-men, but many of the freshmen seemed rather promising this season. Hopefully, they are ready to take on a larger role next season and give the team an opportunity to host at this time next year.

    Just 6 months until hockey season. Until then, I'll fill my time with Tigers and Red Sox action.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,752
    Quote Originally Posted by potternmu View Post
    Well... kind of a lackluster season for the Wildcats. 7th place finish in a very competitive WCHA. I think many of us who follow the team were hoping for a better finish, considering we were heading into a league where the teams were on a bit more of a level playing field - at least on paper. Lots of chances to finish higher in the standings and finish with the home ice advantage in the first round, but the Cats were just unable to take advantage of some of their chances.

    Heading into the 14-15 season, NMU loses its top two scorers and a couple of good D-men, but many of the freshmen seemed rather promising this season. Hopefully, they are ready to take on a larger role next season and give the team an opportunity to host at this time next year.

    Just 6 months until hockey season. Until then, I'll fill my time with Tigers and Red Sox action.
    They lose top scorer Stephane Vigier, but #2-3-4 Seckel, Jones & Siemer will all return. Other than #5 scorer Higby, the rest of the top 10 return.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    24,501

    Re: NMU Offseason Thread - 2014 Edition

    Asking DavyD here so I don't take over the MTU thread... Has anyone from NMU explored the option of playing Notre Dame or Western Michigan in the Chicagoland region? I know ND wanted to play a CCHA game at the Allstate Arena vs NMU a few years back, but that idea was 86'd right after the schedule was released.

    Maybe play both weekend games at the neutral site and alternate who is the "home" team. Split rent and ticket and income 50/50 or 60/40 (more to whichever school organizes the weekend)?

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,752
    Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    Asking DavyD here so I don't take over the MTU thread... Has anyone from NMU explored the option of playing Notre Dame or Western Michigan in the Chicagoland region? I know ND wanted to play a CCHA game at the Allstate Arena vs NMU a few years back, but that idea was 86'd right after the schedule was released.

    Maybe play both weekend games at the neutral site and alternate who is the "home" team. Split rent and ticket and income 50/50 or 60/40 (more to whichever school organizes the weekend)?
    They have a 1 for 1 coming up with Western in Marquette & Kalamazoo. Notre Dame has their tournament in the Chicago area. There are no plans to play in it in the next few seasons.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Pink Pony View Post
    Any good recruits coming in?
    Yes.

  6. #6
    On any given night...
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    2,342

    Re: NMU Offseason Thread - 2014 Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    They have a 1 for 1 coming up with Western in Marquette & Kalamazoo.
    Just curious, since NMU played two in K-zoo this last season, why are they getting a home and home the following season?

    I thought the NMU objective was to get fair exchanges in non-con games.
    NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

    Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,752
    Quote Originally Posted by aygwm2 View Post
    Just curious, since NMU played two in K-zoo this last season, why are they getting a home and home the following season?

    I thought the NMU objective was to get fair exchanges in non-con games.
    They have a 1 for 1 starting next year w WMU. One series in KZoo and one in Marquette starting in the 15-16 season. This years trip was a paid one timer due to NMU losing it's Non conference dates with Huntsville. Western also lost a home series with Huntsville and had that date open, so they offered to pay NMU to come and fill the date. It was a late arrangement. Had NMU not accepted the offer, they would have only played 34 regular season games.
    Last edited by davyd83; 03-25-2014 at 08:15 PM.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    24,501

    Re: NMU Offseason Thread - 2014 Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Pink Pony View Post
    The new Commish Robertson better find a way to solve this for NMU.
    That isn't NMU's problem to solve. And unless the new guy makes it a league wide mandate, NMU is going to keep doing what they do for scheduling.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

    Live Radio from 100.3

  9. #9
    If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop or out running
    Posts
    43,321

    Re: NMU Offseason Thread - 2014 Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Pink Pony View Post
    The WCHA teams have to stick together on this issue or the league teams who have tiny budgets are going to get pinched.
    What part about "this isn't NMU's problem" don't you understand?
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,752

    Re: NMU Offseason Thread - 2014 Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Pink Pony View Post
    How can they afford to go to Happy Valley?

    Dave Daniis must be doing can drives.
    Or, like North Dakota last year, Penn State is cutting a check.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,752

    Re: NMU Offseason Thread - 2014 Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Pink Pony View Post
    Pay to Play. I thought that was illegal in the NCAA.
    You were misinformed. You should see the checks Jacksonville State, Eastern Michigan and Wyoming will cash for playing football at Michigan State this year, or the ones App State and Miami will collect for playing at the Big House.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,752

    Re: NMU Offseason Thread - 2014 Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Pink Pony View Post
    It is when teams are saying, meet you in Green Bay and not the Berry.
    Really? Did Wisconsin say that? Did Wisconsin propose meeting in Green Bay? Are you sure about that?
    Last edited by davyd83; 04-12-2014 at 05:58 PM.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,752

    Re: NMU Offseason Thread - 2014 Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Pink Pony View Post
    Why isn't NMU going back to Grand Forks this year?

    I see many dollars to made forget games at the Berry.

    Join the Circus.
    It was a one time deal.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    24,501

    Re: NMU Offseason Thread - 2014 Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    You were misinformed. You should see the checks Jacksonville State, Eastern Michigan and Wyoming will cash for playing football at Michigan State this year, or the ones App State and Miami will collect for playing at the Big House.
    Or the checks NMU has cashed for being Izzo's tune up exhibition game once in a while?
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

    Live Radio from 100.3

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,752
    Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    Or the checks NMU has cashed for being Izzo's tune up exhibition game once in a while?
    They got one at UM too for BB

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,752

    Re: NMU Offseason Thread - 2014 Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Pink Pony View Post
    Should make it a yearly trek to Grand Forks.

    Then NMU maybe can afford a new scoreboard with video.

    The recruits would be begging to play on the shores of Lake Superior.
    Why? Is the check in Grand Forks better than the one in Happy Valley? Just how much do they each pay? Does North Dakota want to commit to an annual series with NMU?
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Pink Pony View Post
    It would be nice to beat the other Sioux every year.
    You didn't answer the question.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    24,501

    Re: NMU Offseason Thread - 2014 Edition

    Dave, or others, any word on a schedule yet? I know UAF posted theirs, and MTU's leaked.

    Looking to find out when I need to use my PTO.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

    Live Radio from 100.3

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,752
    Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    Dave, or others, any word on a schedule yet? I know UAF posted theirs, and MTU's leaked.

    Looking to find out when I need to use my PTO.
    Still a couple details to be finalized. No word on release date.

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,752

    Re: NMU Offseason Thread - 2014 Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Pink Pony View Post
    You are media. Get the pencil out and interview.
    In the past few days I have spoken with the team and with the league offices. The schedules will be officially released when they are completed.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •