• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Lakers 2014 off season thread

What are we talking about ?

Firing Dunbar and keeping Roque ?
    Let both go ?
    Or just give a kick back now Dunbar has done what she had to do.

Fight on figures if you want.
    The AD is just making up for their own longstanding mistake and complacency. Agreed, the AD is not fit for the job, but this is her best move ever. Unfortunately, it is too late.

With a bit of home work, Roque would never have been hired.
    Whether he produces superstars or not is quite arguable, but it is an irrelevant comment anyway.
    If he did, his job was to take advantage of his super recuits while they were wearing the Laker jersey on the ice, which he obviously failed to do, whatever the maths, crowd, marketing or any other aspect Roque himself would have handled differently if he cared about it.

You would also have to count all the players who were sidelined during their stay and panned out after leaving, not to mention those who came in with promising credentials and never saw ice until they were frozen out in a shameful way. Moreover, a majority of players actually decline during their stay at LSSU.
    The good players leave early because they don't want to see Roque more than necessary. They say it, and they just did to Mrs. Roque who is currently mobilizing the whole Laker Hockey planet against her employers' decision, using the resources of the school.

The budget ? If he was so frustrated, why didn't Roque just go somewhere else and get paid twice as much with a lot of pocket money to spend ? Because nobody would open is mails.

Roque not getting support from the AD ... come on. Does that imply trusting blindly a master in tricks and manipulation ?
    The AD has no clue about what is going on in Roque's office. She doesn't ask, he doesn't tell ...
    She may not really care, and she should be blamed for not having been a real boss, just caring about staying away from a ticking bomb, instead of addressing his destructive methods and dramatically poor ethics, not to mention his liking for intimidation, including on her. Roque's relation to bosses is not his best argument for finding a job.

But again, Dunbar has an easy defense in the confusing position of the President backing Roque on troubling matters.

So now, Roque is leaving at last, he may or may not get another job in the industry, depending on how much his bluffing talent can hide his dirty laundry. He may also have a hard time hiding away from some serious issues running after him.

As far as the program is concerned, it is probably too late for a div 1 team to turn around in an environment without decent leadership.
    It is easy to blame the AD (and partially right), but who has done anything to address the downward drifting of the program and the known issues.
    The top management ? The community ? The fans ? The blueliners ? Ah ! they "don't do politics", they don't wanna know about it.

Since the boot, a lot of Monday morning quarterbacks are on the field ... with some aggressive recruits. So far, they didn't see the point in looking beyond Ws and Ls.
    They won't be of any help to the next coach unless they find out that Ws and Ls are only the tip of the iceberg. No hockey skill can justify or make up for coaching gaps and personality disorder. Who cares about the harm caused to players trapped in the hands of a madman, but only fools ignore the impact of poor ethics, horrible communication or hopeless leadership on Ws and Ls, and that is just about the team dynamics.
    Don't forget about the scapegoats he plays with for the fun.

The root causes of the collapse are there to stay, maybe because only Roque is leaving now, but mainly because he was there.
    Everybody has been complacent too long, and probably the Roque clan got used to it, hence their anger. They should have thought about their mortgage before.

At the moment, Mrs Roque and a squad of more or less independent supporters are trying to mobilize support on their working hours, but it is unlikely that anybody will remind them their loyalty duty.
    That's the way it goes when there is no leadership, no care. Today is a bad day for the Roque clan, but they have taken advantage of the system so long that they shouldn't complain.

By the way, since our very active activist newcomers mentioned Joe Shawhan's degrees, may we have a scan of Roque's degree ?
    He may not need it in the future, but who knows, he may be lucky.

There you go !

(I am not going to argue back and forth, so don't expect me to play the game, especially the newcomer)
    Last edited by Anchors Aweigh; 03-12-2014, 12:29 PM.

Comment

This has been an entertaining thread the past 24 hours

Comment

Originally posted by AnchorsAway View Post
        Well we got what we all wanted, Roque got more than enough time to prove his case, and he certainly did a good job bringing quality talent to our campus, but all in all he just wasn't cut out to coach this team, and (Finally!) the administration realized that. As a previous poster said, this is a fantastic opportunity to reboot the program....the Norris Center expansion project was supposed to have done that, but that has gone by the wayside so why not start over from here?

Once the new coach is selected, the school would do well to roll out a new PR campaign to get people talking about LSSU hockey again. The 10 home dates when students were not on campus this past season was ridiculous, and hopefully that can be avoided in the future because it no doubt was one of the reasons (however very likely not the biggest one) that attendance soured this season. Getting more students energized to go to games, and playing the games when they are on campus is a big key to boosting attendance, but in my opinion it's not the biggest part.

Several have mentioned the low student enrollment at LSSU, so the student body can only be counted on for so much, and the entire student body still only makes up a fraction of the population of the greater Soo, MI area...it is just as, if not more, important to appeal to the local residents. I believe I am speaking for all of the "regular" posters by saying that we have all spent time in the Soo, and I think we all know there are a very limited number of avenues of entertainment on a weekend evening, even fewer that are family friendly, but Laker Hockey is a viable option, a new face to the program paired with a new advertising and PR campaign would really help put an LSSU game back onto the radar of many locals as a Friday or Saturday night option; because even though those options are few, the LSSU hockey experience has been literally the same old song and dance for an entire decade...and people aren't stupid, they eventually started deciding to go elsewhere, (or stay home) as an alternative, and I don't blame them....but this is a golden opportunity to get them back. I don't know if any of the movers and shakers on "the hill" read this board but please heed some of the suggestions of alumni and dedicated LSSU followers like myself and do anything in your power to make a concerted effort to re-energize this program and fanbase....nobody is expecting national championships, we just want a competitive program to be proud of!
        Agree with most of it.
        A competitive program, where you could always expect a positive surprise once in a while, whether Friday or Saturday, early or late in the season, but always showing great values, with a coach as a role model for the community.

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Squad
          The Truth Is Now Out There....TBA
          File those retirement papers. Have a beer. Your job is done here, sir.

Comment

The Truth Is Now Out There....
            TBA
            Let's get in touch :-)
            Last edited by Anchors Aweigh; 03-12-2014, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Was off line for a couple of days, anything happen while I was gone?

Nos

Comment

I'm not up there, and live about 5 hours away, but I am curious to hear from you and what you know
                As I do with several posters here, it is fun to dig deeper and understand better. It is better to meet in town with a beer, but let's start with pressing the "Send email" button on the nickname.
                Because it sounds like we have had similar dealings with this man.
                Not necessarily. There many things I disagree with, without having been exposed to it personally :-/ . I don't like what I see, from a technical, ethical or legal perspective, and I believe it is detrimental to the program and all those who rely on it.
                Just my humble opinion ... anchors_aweigh@outlook.com
                Last edited by Anchors Aweigh; 03-12-2014, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakers2Glory
                  Do you feel better now? Do you? DO YOU?

I bet you do. I was exhausted just reading that. Bet it felt good to get that off your chest.

(and I linked to the wrong post. son of a....)
                  ? ? ?

Comment

Time to sit back and see what happens. The next few months are going to be real interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakers2Glory View Post
                      Time to sit back and see what happens. The next few months are going to be real interesting.
                      It will be very interesting to hear who the finalists are once the list of applicants is narrowed down.

Comment

In defense of Dunbar, lets not forget that it was not she that hired Jim Roque. The fault lays with her predecessor Bill Crawford. Crawford in my opinion is the best play by play man in the business but he has to go down as the worst A.D. ever just because of the way he handled the firing of Frank Anzalone and the hiring of Roque.

Dunbar's big mistake was keeping Roque 2 years to long....at the very very least he should have been fired at the end of last season and we would have been a year into the healing process and re-building the program but make no mistake in that Roque was very powerful at LSSU... but she at least should have tried to rid the program of his ineptness after the 6th or 7th year. Lets now hope she tries to make amends by doing right this time in the hiring process of the next coach because if they mess this up, then sorry folks it will be a wrap for Laker Hockey.

Comment

Hopefully they are patient with the head coaching search. Hopefully it will be at least May or June when they announce the 10th head coach in LSSU hockey history.
                          LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

I think we all thought that Roque was going to be a very good coach and turn the program back around. Roque had worked with Jackson and Anzalone and who didn't think with coaches like that to work with,Roque had to have learn a lot . Roque was given 9 years and that is more time anyone has been a head coach at the university. Roque was not short changed but given enough time to put together a succesful program and it just didn't happen.

Comment

Nice commentary piece on the LSSU program.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...e_superior.php
                              QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                              2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                              2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                              2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                              https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
                              https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                              https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

There are quite a few former players, parents, coaches, that wouldn't "play ball" with this man, who were either ignored, ridiculed, or had vitriol spewed at them continuously at that little college, by a lot of you uppers, and by the Roque apologists on here, that are feeling pretty vindicated today.

The Truth Is Now Out There....
                                TBA
                                Would you give it up already?? Seriously!

Roque wasn't the reason your kid was let go. The little university wasn't the reason your kid was let go. We "uppers" weren't the reason your kid was let go. He was let go because he wasn't good enough to play D1 hockey, okay?!

Big deal, most kids aren't.

Let it go, no doubt you've embarrassed your kid more than enough the last few years.

Comment

Working...
                                X