Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Penn State @ Michigan, Feb 21 and 22.

  1. #1
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    10,826

    Penn State @ Michigan, Feb 21 and 22.

    After earning it's first B1G win against Michigan a couple of weeks ago, Penn State makes it's first visit to Yost Ice Arena this weekend. And I want to see more game threads, so I plan on starting one every week, regardless of the opponent.

    Outside of the win against Michigan, Penn State is still working out a lot of kinks.

    And Michigan now has a 3 game losing streak, thanks to getting swept by Minnesota last weekend.

    Right now, the #1 thing killing Michigan is scoring goals. They generated a ton of chanes against the Gohpers all weekned, only to either miss or make a shot that their goalie didn't have to work too hard to stop. Boo is well over 20 games without a point, after having an electrifying freshman season. He's still really fast, but speed isn't everything. Copp has gotten some goals, but even with his effort, he can't lift the entire team with that A. The only real bright spot is Compher, who is leading the B1G in freshman scoring.

    Thanks to their struggles, IMHO, the defense is now starting to break down- to try to help score more. Minny jumped all over that all weekend... And that lead to some pretty stupid penalties, as frustrations with losing really kicks in.

    And our goalies... well, if it were me, I would ride Nagelvoort's pads the rest of the season. He had a bad weekend against Penn State, but as I see it, his weaknesses are smaller than Racine's (who seems to have a pretty sizable 5 hole).

    Our dream of a regular season B1G championship is pretty dim by now- behind Minny by 12, and Wisconsin by 5. Ugh. Just as looming, we are tied with OSU for 3rd.

    Should be an interesting weekend (that I will miss)

  2. #2
    not particularly bad
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Yost ice arena
    Posts
    9,460

    Re: Penn State @ Michigan, Feb 21 and 22.

    Not that I'm extremely superstitious or anything, but our record isn't so great when alfa starts a game thread.

    Penn State hosted MSU last week and tied on Friday. They looked decent, but anyone can look decent against Sparty. I didn't see their game Saturday.

    I thought we looked strong the second half of Friday's game against Minnesota. I think we're realistically out of contention for the season title, but could still get that first round bye for the conference tournament. 6 of Michigan's remaining 8 games are at Yost.

  3. #3
    not particularly bad
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Yost ice arena
    Posts
    9,460

    Re: Penn State @ Michigan, Feb 21 and 22.

    Also, Saturday's game is Don Cherry night. The Children of Yost encourage everyone to wear their most hideous/awesome Don Cherry inspired outfit.

  4. #4
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    10,826

    Re: Penn State @ Michigan, Feb 21 and 22.

    Quote Originally Posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
    Not that I'm extremely superstitious or anything, but our record isn't so great when alfa starts a game thread.

    Penn State hosted MSU last week and tied on Friday. They looked decent, but anyone can look decent against Sparty. I didn't see their game Saturday.

    I thought we looked strong the second half of Friday's game against Minnesota. I think we're realistically out of contention for the season title, but could still get that first round bye for the conference tournament. 6 of Michigan's remaining 8 games are at Yost.
    So we know who will start a thread next Monday, then?

    I considered that, but it would be nice to have a game specific discussion, and perahps some Penn State fans will show up.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Less than 10 minutes from Yost...
    Posts
    1,876
    Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    So we know who will start a thread next Monday, then?

    I considered that, but it would be nice to have a game specific discussion, and perahps some Penn State fans will show up.
    Not me. I started the season thread the year we missed the tournament and have vowed never to start another. I still think that it was my fault....

  6. #6
    not particularly bad
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Yost ice arena
    Posts
    9,460

    Re: Penn State @ Michigan, Feb 21 and 22.

    Well crap.
    Big Ten suspends Downing and Sinelli one game apiece

    When is Lohan supposed to be healthy enough to play? Do we get Chaisson and Szuma? How ready is Mac Bennet to see even more ice time? Oh, dear lord, does this mean more ice time for Clare?

  7. #7
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    10,826

    Re: Penn State @ Michigan, Feb 21 and 22.

    Quote Originally Posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
    Well crap.
    Big Ten suspends Downing and Sinelli one game apiece

    When is Lohan supposed to be healthy enough to play? Do we get Chaisson and Szuma? How ready is Mac Bennet to see even more ice time? Oh, dear lord, does this mean more ice time for Clare?
    shooters better show up on Friday.

    And good thing for my blood pressure that I won't. Defensive problems are bad enough, taking people away- ugh.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Less than 10 minutes from Yost...
    Posts
    1,876

    Re: Penn State @ Michigan, Feb 21 and 22.

    Quote Originally Posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
    Well crap.
    Big Ten suspends Downing and Sinelli one game apiece

    When is Lohan supposed to be healthy enough to play? Do we get Chaisson and Szuma? How ready is Mac Bennet to see even more ice time? Oh, dear lord, does this mean more ice time for Clare?
    Sinelli deserved it. I think that Downing's is a result of BOTH elbows he threw. One wouldn't be enough, but two yes...

    It hurts but at least I won't have to see Downing let pucks out of the zone in person. He's young, he'll learn...

  9. #9
    El Rey
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    near the ice
    Posts
    419

    Re: Penn State @ Michigan, Feb 21 and 22.

    Game day. Lots of hockey for me today. School declared a "calamity day" for slick roads, so mini-me and I are settling in to watch Finland vs Sweden, followed by USA-Canada. Of course the day will be capped off by the continuation of heated Michigan- Penn State rivalry...

    It may surprise you, but the all-time series between UofM and PSU is tied at 1-1-0.

  10. #10
    not particularly bad
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Yost ice arena
    Posts
    9,460

    Re: Penn State @ Michigan, Feb 21 and 22.

    Quote Originally Posted by bluevox View Post
    Game day. Lots of hockey for me today. School declared a "calamity day" for slick roads, so mini-me and I are settling in to watch Finland vs Sweden, followed by USA-Canada. Of course the day will be capped off by the continuation of heated Michigan- Penn State rivalry...

    It may surprise you, but the all-time series between UofM and PSU is tied at 1-1-0.
    My work should have called a "calamity day". Saw my boss slip a little as he was walking in. I thought I had chosen the cleared path and I slipped even more and almost fell.

    Here's hoping the hockey results are not a calamity.

    I wonder if any Penn State fans are making the trip. My friends and I tried to convince all the fans we met there to take road trips, especially to come visit Yost.

  11. #11
    Generic Catchy Message
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Willoughby, 1888
    Posts
    8,056

    Re: Penn State @ Michigan, Feb 21 and 22.

    I don't think you guys will have too much of a problem this weekend. Penn State just doesn't play well on the road. They still put up 50,000 shots but they're 1-8 on the road (only win at RMU) for a reason. It's like why teams shouldn't fear us, the worst we'll do is beat you in a shootout in your building.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

    1966, 1986, 2007

    Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    123

    Re: Penn State @ Michigan, Feb 21 and 22.

    Wow! What an awesome comeback win for Penn State on the road. Looks like these guys are well on their way to becoming an actual team to be taken seriously.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Detroit, MI USA
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Penn State @ Michigan, Feb 21 and 22.

    M barrassing performances by this team. One NCAA spot ready to be vacated.

    Every aspect of the program to be questioned

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    3,412

    Re: Penn State @ Michigan, Feb 21 and 22.

    There is absolutely no pressure on the Penn State players or program right now. No one expects them to do anything. They are very well coached, never seem to give up, and get a crap load of shots to the net. It's actually quite scary playing them for those reasons. Every game seems to be a national championship type game for them.
    Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 02-21-2014 at 10:27 PM.

  15. #15
    Melvin K. Pearson
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    885

    Re: Penn State @ Michigan, Feb 21 and 22.

    I think this is Red's last season.

    Red said it himself. He will step aside when he feels he's getting in the way. He doesn't even seem to be coaching the team on the bench. It seems like Powers is doing the most of it and Red is sort of overlooking it. I've talked to a couple of past players and from what they've told me just by talking to him, he seems to be losing it. Which is sad.

    He's a legend. The last thing I want to do is force him out and wind up like football is right now. But you can't wait too long for these kinds of things or you'll end up like state.

    Let the speculation begin.

    And yes, I seriously believe Babcock is a legitimate option. Short list: Mike Babcock, Danton Cole, Jeff Blashill.

    This is far from the worst loss in Michigan history. Far. So the revisionists can sit down and take a stroll back into the 80s, at your own risk, of course.
    2018 NCAA Northeast Regional Champions
    ---
    National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
    Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
    19 Conference Championships
    10 Conference Tournament Championships
    2 Hobey Baker Winners
    75 All-Americans


    Wolverine Devotee of MGoBlog
    @UMichWD on Twitter

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,716

    Re: Penn State @ Michigan, Feb 21 and 22.

    Quote Originally Posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
    I think this is Red's last season.

    Red said it himself. He will step aside when he feels he's getting in the way. He doesn't even seem to be coaching the team on the bench. It seems like Powers is doing the most of it and Red is sort of overlooking it. I've talked to a couple of past players and from what they've told me just by talking to him, he seems to be losing it. Which is sad.

    He's a legend. The last thing I want to do is force him out and wind up like football is right now. But you can't wait too long for these kinds of things or you'll end up like state.

    Let the speculation begin.

    And yes, I seriously believe Babcock is a legitimate option. Short list: Mike Babcock, Danton Cole, Jeff Blashill.

    This is far from the worst loss in Michigan history. Far. So the revisionists can sit down and take a stroll back into the 80s, at your own risk, of course.
    While he has no ties to the Michigan or the midwest I'd throw Union coach Rick Bennett on that list. 3 straight years of 20 plus wins with a frozen four on his resume. And all this with no scholarships at Union.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
    I think this is Red's last season.

    Red said it himself. He will step aside when he feels he's getting in the way. He doesn't even seem to be coaching the team on the bench. It seems like Powers is doing the most of it and Red is sort of overlooking it. I've talked to a couple of past players and from what they've told me just by talking to him, he seems to be losing it. Which is sad.

    He's a legend. The last thing I want to do is force him out and wind up like football is right now. But you can't wait too long for these kinds of things or you'll end up like state.

    Let the speculation begin.

    And yes, I seriously believe Babcock is a legitimate option. Short list: Mike Babcock, Danton Cole, Jeff Blashill.

    This is far from the worst loss in Michigan history. Far. So the revisionists can sit down and take a stroll back into the 80s, at your own risk, of course.
    I'm curious how you think that Babcock would ever think about coaching at Michigan. The man has had great success with Detroit, is going to win either gold or silver as an Olympic coach and would be welcomed with open arms to nearly any team in the NHL. Not trying to sound like an ***, I'm just curious why you think that's even a possibility.

  18. #18
    Melvin K. Pearson
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    885

    Re: Penn State @ Michigan, Feb 21 and 22.

    Quote Originally Posted by ShotFromThePoint View Post
    I'm curious how you think that Babcock would ever think about coaching at Michigan. The man has had great success with Detroit, is going to win either gold or silver as an Olympic coach and would be welcomed with open arms to nearly any team in the NHL. Not trying to sound like an ***, I'm just curious why you think that's even a possibility.
    That rumor has been all the rage here since last year. He's been to games, he met with athletic director Dave Brandon in the summer. I believe his daughter or someone he is related to is a student at Michigan. TSN even got on it last year.

    His contract expires right around the time Red's does. But really, I think this year is it. And if Michigan does not make the tournament, I can guarantee it.

    Red and Mike are good friends you could say... https://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...0201/301230127
    Last edited by MGoBlueHockey; 02-21-2014 at 10:37 PM.
    2018 NCAA Northeast Regional Champions
    ---
    National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
    Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
    19 Conference Championships
    10 Conference Tournament Championships
    2 Hobey Baker Winners
    75 All-Americans


    Wolverine Devotee of MGoBlog
    @UMichWD on Twitter

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    253

    Re: Penn State @ Michigan, Feb 21 and 22.

    Any chance Mel Pearson would or could leave Tech to come back to Ann Arbor???

  20. #20
    Melvin K. Pearson
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    885

    Re: Penn State @ Michigan, Feb 21 and 22.

    Quote Originally Posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
    Any chance Mel Pearson would or could leave Tech to come back to Ann Arbor???
    He's the obvious choice. AD doesn't hire someone as a HC here unless they have head coaching experience.

    I think Mel seeing the UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN on his caller ID at home would be enough for him to start packing. He's in a no-win situation at tech. Absolutely nothing to work with and recruiting must be reminiscent of hell since he's trying to woo 18/19/20 year olds to come play in the middle of nowhere for a program that is in a no-win situation. But he had to get his experience somewhere so why not where you played at?

    I think him leaving here had a lot to do with the major slide recently. That will change if he comes back. And if it is Babcock, holy ****.
    2018 NCAA Northeast Regional Champions
    ---
    National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
    Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
    19 Conference Championships
    10 Conference Tournament Championships
    2 Hobey Baker Winners
    75 All-Americans


    Wolverine Devotee of MGoBlog
    @UMichWD on Twitter

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •