Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2013-2014 Union Dutchmen - Can U Three Peat? (Part II)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2013-2014 Union Dutchmen - Can U Three Peat? (Part II)

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
    Amazing that RPI posters need to spill their venom over here when there's a perfectly good hatefest going on in theirs. How dare Union fans support their team and coach on their own thread.
    I managed to get negative feedback in last 24 hours after posting nothing offensive, just a Union fan posting on a Union thread.

Comment

Amazing that RPI posters need to spill their venom over here when there's a perfectly good hatefest going on in theirs. How dare Union fans support their team and coach on their own thread.
      It is 3 or 4 losers. Their program is terrible, just like I said it would 3 years ago. In the end that is what kills them. Worst record in tourn over lst 7/8 years of all programs, only team not to make final 4, have not scored a goal in ncaa tourn in almost 30 years and they are led by a perpetual loser named Eddie Haskell. an avg assistant who has proved beyond debate that he is not a head coach and after RPI, will have to go back to making 60K a year as an ast, if lucky.

ECAC
      Union 1st
      RPI 8th(good for them)

Records
      Union 10-2
      RPI 4-5-3(again, very good for them)

NCAA Team Offense
      Union 3rd in country
      RPI 19th

NCAA Team Defense
      Union 11th
      RPI 34th

RPI is ahead in one natl category

Team Penalty Minutes(sounds like a discipline and lack of coach respect issue here)
      RPI 3rd
      Union 20th

USCHO Poll
      Union 4th
      RPI not listed and not one single vote

USA Today poll
      exact same

Pairwise
      Union 4th
      RPI 29th

RPI
      Union 4th
      Rpi 30th

Kratch
      Union 4th
      RPI 29th

ECAC Tournament

Union 4 final 4 tournament appearances. plus champions as well as reg season champs and ncaa frozen 4. also knocked out BC last year
      RPI 0

RPI 2 qtr final appearances, 1-4

RPI record in ecac tourn under Eddie, 7-15. 4 of last 5 years knocked out by a lower seeded team.
      Last edited by Hokydad; 01-30-2014, 08:12 PM.

Comment

St. Lawrence Battle Plan (from the St. Lawrence Blog)

Men: Union Preview

This is one of the days on the schedule I've had circled for about a month. To start the year, SLU looked great, and even found their way into the top 20. Now, they sit at 8-13-3, and welcome to Appleton the number one team in the ECAC, and the number 4 team in the country in Union. The Dutchmen are 16-5-3, 10-2-0 in the ECAC, losing to Colgate, who swept SLU, and Quinnipiac, who the Saints have not yet played. They are led by one of the premier defensemen in NCAA hockey, a Philadelphia Flyers draft pick, junior Shayne Gostisbehere, who has 18 points in 24 games from the blue line this year. Daniel Carr leads Union with 24 points this year.

However mismatched the teams may be on paper, SLU might have gotten very lucky with the timing of this game. Following the game between Union and RPI on Saturday, the two rivals engaged in a bit of line brawl. The result is that Union will enter Appleton on Friday without the guidance of head coach Rick Bennett, who was suspended for two games. Union also loses D Mat Bodie, who has 23 points, Daniel Ciampini, who has 19 points, and Eli Lichtenwald, who has 15 points. For a team that struggles on defense, this could be just the break the Saints need to be able to compete with Union. The Dutchman attack will still be lead by some great players, such as Kevin Sullivan, Mike Pontarelli, and Carr, but the secondary scoring won't be there as much for Union.
        They key for this game will be Greg Carvel. He is a smart coach, and he won't have to work against Rick Bennett. His job, as the coach of the home team, which gets last change, will be to do his best to keep the Carey line away from Gostisbehere, and instead try and get the Doherty line, a solid defensive one, out. This leaves the Carey line with a favorable matchup, and could just give SLU the offensive edge.
        All that means nothing if SLU can't keep the puck out of their net. No SLU goalie has good numbers this year, but Matt Weninger is the more experienced guy, having played against almost all of Union's players twice last year. So, as much as I have been calling for Parks to get more starts, I would anticipate Weninger to be the starter, and I think thats the right call. It all hinges on the defense, especially the top pair of Baker and Sweetman, who will play big time minutes against the top line of Union. If the defense can slow down, not even stop, just slow down those big three of Sullivan, Pontarelli, and Carr, SLU might just pull off the upset of the year in ECAC thus far.
        Puck drops at 7:00.
        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Best of luck to the Dutchmen for the rest of the season! Let's make the Capital District trip the most feared ECAC trip in the schedule in the future.
          Last edited by ibanezist00; 01-30-2014, 09:09 PM.
          Hockey is serious business. Everything else is just a game.

RPI Hockey, Syracuse Football, New York Rangers, New York Giants.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
            St. Lawrence Battle Plan (from the St. Lawrence Blog)

Men: Union Preview

This is one of the days on the schedule I've had circled for about a month. To start the year, SLU looked great, and even found their way into the top 20. Now, they sit at 8-13-3, and welcome to Appleton the number one team in the ECAC, and the number 4 team in the country in Union. The Dutchmen are 16-5-3, 10-2-0 in the ECAC, losing to Colgate, who swept SLU, and Quinnipiac, who the Saints have not yet played. They are led by one of the premier defensemen in NCAA hockey, a Philadelphia Flyers draft pick, junior Shayne Gostisbehere, who has 18 points in 24 games from the blue line this year. Daniel Carr leads Union with 24 points this year.

However mismatched the teams may be on paper, SLU might have gotten very lucky with the timing of this game. Following the game between Union and RPI on Saturday, the two rivals engaged in a bit of line brawl. The result is that Union will enter Appleton on Friday without the guidance of head coach Rick Bennett, who was suspended for two games. Union also loses D Mat Bodie, who has 23 points, Daniel Ciampini, who has 19 points, and Eli Lichtenwald, who has 15 points. For a team that struggles on defense, this could be just the break the Saints need to be able to compete with Union. The Dutchman attack will still be lead by some great players, such as Kevin Sullivan, Mike Pontarelli, and Carr, but the secondary scoring won't be there as much for Union.
            They key for this game will be Greg Carvel. He is a smart coach, and he won't have to work against Rick Bennett. His job, as the coach of the home team, which gets last change, will be to do his best to keep the Carey line away from Gostisbehere, and instead try and get the Doherty line, a solid defensive one, out. This leaves the Carey line with a favorable matchup, and could just give SLU the offensive edge.
            All that means nothing if SLU can't keep the puck out of their net. No SLU goalie has good numbers this year, but Matt Weninger is the more experienced guy, having played against almost all of Union's players twice last year. So, as much as I have been calling for Parks to get more starts, I would anticipate Weninger to be the starter, and I think thats the right call. It all hinges on the defense, especially the top pair of Baker and Sweetman, who will play big time minutes against the top line of Union. If the defense can slow down, not even stop, just slow down those big three of Sullivan, Pontarelli, and Carr, SLU might just pull off the upset of the year in ECAC thus far.
            Puck drops at 7:00.
            No mention of Hatch, Vech, Wilkins, or Ikkala? That's fine.

How does our lineup work Friday night? I'm guessing:

Carr---Roy---Wilkins
            Hatch---Vecchione---Pontarelli
            Sullivan---Novak---Cruice
            Ikkala---Bennett---Coatta

Ghost---Taylor
            Vasaturo---Krug
            Gingras---Henry

Thank God for depth! We're still a very solid team.
            Union College Hockey
            2014 NCAA National Champions
            2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

Originally posted by UnionFan4Life View Post

Carr---Roy---Wilkins

Ghost---Taylor
              Vasaturo---Krug
              Gingras---Henry

Looks awfully good to me !!!!!
              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by UnionFan4Life View Post

Carr---Roy---Wilkins

Ghost---Taylor
                Vasaturo---Krug
                Gingras---Henry

The 3M line (Hatch, Vecchione, Pontarelli) will be the key. They had a number of good shifts last weekend, so I'd expect to see the Doherty line on them, which could open things up for Carr & Wilkins. I'm not sure if Carvel will want to worry about Doherty's line against Ghost & Taylor, but I still think Union will be able to overcome the absences. SLU starting Weininger is the right call for them - a more experienced goalie, despite his less-than-stellar play this year.

A friend of mine made a good point this week - what I'm most concerned about is how Joe Dumais will handle the in-game situations. Being able to get the line matchups right is a very underrated part of the game. I'm sure Bennett & Dumais have been over this all week long, so I have no doubt Dumais will be as prepared as anyone can be. It's just the in-game prep that is the unknown.
                Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Plenty to be concerned about in a game which we would under normal circumstances been heavily favored to win. Looking at a lineup with 3 freshman d men, perhaps worries me the most, though I think Taylor has shown enough to not really be a freshman in many regards. The big intangibles obviously are how the team will fare without it's head coach and whether the emotional roller coaster of the past five days will take a toll.

Comment

I agree with Wholin that SLU's offensive talent (e.g. the Careys) and U having 3 freshmen on D is my biggest concern. Matching lines will be mostly out of Dumais' control, since SLU will have the last line change as the home team. The biggest matchup problem is U's D vs. the Careys with Bodie being out. Typically would want either Bodie or Ghost out there against them, but now there will be 2 D-pairs that will be a good matchup for SLU. If SLUs coaches are smart (which I think they are), at some point they will be able to put out the Careys just after a Ghost-Taylor shift ends and either get the matchup they want or have Ghost going back out when he is tired. This is a dilemma that Bennett would have had a hard time dealing with too. In the end, U just has to play their game and roll their lines as best they can and hope the young D-men don't make too many big mistakes that Stevens can't bail out.
                    UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Plenty to be concerned about in a game which we would under normal circumstances been heavily favored to win. Looking at a lineup with 3 freshman d men, perhaps worries me the most, though I think Taylor has shown enough to not really be a freshman in many regards. The big intangibles obviously are how the team will fare without it's head coach and whether the emotional roller coaster of the past five days will take a toll.
                      I saw the St. Lawrence game against Vermont which was probably St. Lawrence's worse home game. They lost 5-1 to Vermont if memory serves me correctly. Vermont kept St. Lawrence away from the puck. Vermont beat St. Lawrence to the lose puck every time and if hockey stats recorded time of possession, I bet Vermont had the puck in their control most of the last period. St. Lawrence is an offensive machine with great skill and you need to slow it down and take the puck away and not give it back. St. Lawrence just keeps scoring. My fear is that we will end up with a "run and gun" and get destroyed by the Carey brothers. Also, remember that these folks lead college hockey in PP %. We have got to stay out of the box. Stevens will need help. We need to block shots, get to the open puck and play aggressive.

On Saturday their coach came out on the ice to go to war for them. I think tonight, you may see the team come out on the ice, to go to war for him.
                      Last edited by Dutchman; 01-31-2014, 09:33 AM.
                      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Our own FORUM.

Would anyone be interested in working with me to come up with our own Forum? I have been investigating software and it looks very doable. The format would be identical to what we have here on USCHO. It would be full functional and we would have control. I have been looking at what other schools do. Clarkson has its own Forum. Cornell does as well but its not very user friendly. North Dakota does but its not friendly to non-text things. I could set up a prototype to try out.

Here is the Clarkson site

http://www.letsgotech.com/roundtable/forum.php

I want to see if there is any interest in the Dutchmen Community.
                        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

• Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                          Our own FORUM.

Would anyone be interested in working with me to come up with our own Forum? I have been investigating software and it looks very doable. The format would be identical to what we have here on USCHO. It would be full functional and we would have control. I have been looking at what other schools do. Clarkson has its own Forum. Cornell does as well but its not very user friendly. North Dakota does but its not friendly to non-text things. I could set up a prototype to try out.

Here is the Clarkson site

http://www.letsgotech.com/roundtable/forum.php

I would join an exclusive Dutchman forum. Then we could have separate threads such as incoming recruits, game day threads, etc. etc. It's a great idea. Could we even have a sub-link off of the Union Athletics website?
                          Last edited by UnionFan4Life; 01-31-2014, 09:57 AM.
                          Union College Hockey
                          2014 NCAA National Champions
                          2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                            Our own FORUM.
                            Here is the Clarkson site http://www.letsgotech.com/roundtable/forum.php
                            Can you control who has member access to the site? (..and I'm not just thinking RPIers )
                            UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
                              Can you control who has member access to the site? (..and I'm not just thinking RPIers )
                              Same question, and I am thinking exactly the opposite, at least so far as the haters are concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
                                The administrator would approve someone who is signing up ..... could be anyone. If you do not have an account, you can read posts but cannot comment. Same as USCHO.
                                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Working...
                                X