Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2013-2014 Union Dutchmen - Can U Three Peat? (Part II)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2013-2014 Union Dutchmen - Can U Three Peat? (Part II)

not eddie haskell, the ghy who moonlights as an empty suit in the summer

Comment

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
      I feel like the only people who will be bringing this up consistently one year from now will be RPI fans. I'm ready to move on. I'm still glad to have Rick Bennett as our head coach and I wouldn't trade him him for any other coach in the country. Except maybe Leaman. Maybe. But they're both awesome.
      In that sense you may be lucky. There probably are some schools who won't touch him now.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        In that sense you may be lucky. There probably are some schools who won't touch him now.
        If that's what it took to keep Rick Bennett in Schenectady for the next decade, then maybe we are indeed lucky.
        LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
          If that's what it took to keep Rick Bennett in Schenectady for the next decade, then maybe we are indeed lucky.
          fifty to one jim knowlton would swap eddie haskelll for him tomorrow

just ignore raloh, he has more important threads to focus on. has a big ond now involving the mail being late.
          Last edited by Hokydad; 01-30-2014, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by UnionFan4Life View Post
            I agree, especially point #2.
            Yea Im sure there will be ADS's just dyeing to hire a coach whom went dog **** after a game and regardless of who he did or didn't connect with was out there throwing punches imagine the liability if he did it again (witnessing his level of rage a repeat is a distinct possibility) Smart AD's don't usually stick their necks out like that. Like I said when this first happened the harshest punishment Bennet will get is self inflicted he will always be "THAT GUY" Even if he cures cancer he will always be the guy who couldn't control his emotions and went into an unexplainable fit of rage. All I hear of Mr.Bennet is that he is a decent guy a good family man and for sure a good hockey coach but unfortunatly its hard to put the toothpaste back in the tube.
            What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

“The job that Rick Bennett has done for the Union College men's ice hockey program has truly been remarkable,” said Jim McLaughlin '93, Union College Director of Athletics. “As an assistant and later associate head coach, his recruiting and coaching efforts helped build us into an ECAC Hockey playoff contender, and laid a foundation for greater heights. As our head coach, he has developed outstanding young men in the classroom, in the community and on the ice. In just two seasons with Rick, we have a Frozen Four appearance, two Whitelaw Cup Championships, a Cleary Cup Championship, two NCAA appearances, and Academic All-Americans. We are pleased that Rick will continue his service to our student-athletes for many more seasons at Union College.”

For me the lasting legacy of Rick Bennett will be as a coach that put his players well-being before winning. No where was that more evident then early in the season when did not want to risk players health by having them return too soon from injuries. Against St. Cloud he gave his starting goalie a rest, knowing we would surely lose the game (we didn't). I also get a big kick out of seeing the team work with kids in the community. This is just one example. http://www.timesunion.com/sports/art...ke-5036284.php None of my three sons played hockey. If they had, I would have been very proud for them to have played for Coach Bennett.
              Last edited by Dutchman; 01-30-2014, 11:16 AM.
              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                “The job that Rick Bennett has done for the Union College men's ice hockey program has truly been remarkable,” said Jim McLaughlin '93, Union College Director of Athletics. “As an assistant and later associate head coach, his recruiting and coaching efforts helped build us into an ECAC Hockey playoff contender, and laid a foundation for greater heights. As our head coach, he has developed outstanding young men in the classroom, in the community and on the ice. In just two seasons with Rick, we have a Frozen Four appearance, two Whitelaw Cup Championships, a Cleary Cup Championship, two NCAA appearances, and Academic All-Americans. We are pleased that Rick will continue his service to our student-athletes for many more seasons at Union College.”

For me the lasting legacy of Rick Bennett will be as a coach that put his players well-being before winning. No where was that more evident then early in the season when did not want to risk players health by having them return too soon from injuries. Against St. Cloud he gave his starting goalie a rest, knowing we would surely lose the game (we didn't). I also get a big kick out of seeing the team work with kids in the community. This is just one example. http://www.timesunion.com/sports/art...ke-5036284.php None of my three sons played hockey. If they had, I would have been very proud for them to have play for Coach Bennett.

last line is very telling in that col knowlton sent us own hockey plaging son to denver vs playing for sir edward haskell

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                  last line is very telling in that col knowlton sent us own hockey plaging son to denver vs playing for sir edward haskell
                  He and SA didn't want the conflict of interest if his son were playing for SA.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

hahahahahahHahaha

yup thats it. words of wisdom were "run" "and dont make eye contact with eddie"

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
                      Yea Im sure there will be ADS's just dyeing to hire a coach whom went dog **** after a game and regardless of who he did or didn't connect with was out there throwing punches imagine the liability if he did it again (witnessing his level of rage a repeat is a distinct possibility) Smart AD's don't usually stick their necks out like that. Like I said when this first happened the harshest punishment Bennet will get is self inflicted he will always be "THAT GUY" Even if he cures cancer he will always be the guy who couldn't control his emotions and went into an unexplainable fit of rage. All I hear of Mr.Bennet is that he is a decent guy a good family man and for sure a good hockey coach but unfortunatly its hard to put the toothpaste back in the tube.
                      As I previously stated, Bennett did not blatantly attack Seth for no reason. And if he did, he should have been sent to a mental institution immediately. I have my own opinions and speculation that I will not share as to why he erupted. You are free to dwell on this situation as long as you'd like but I am now focusing my attentions to SLU, Clarkson, and the rest of this season. Best of luck to you the rest of the season.
                      Union College Hockey
                      2014 NCAA National Champions
                      2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/art...ng-5187222.php

"Rick sorry rage come out. Rick not do again."
                        "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Thinking SA had something to do with him going to DU w/ Gwoz. Remember Seth was assistant to George where they won 2 national Championships together.
                          Last edited by AspyDad; 01-30-2014, 01:35 PM.
                          "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman;5870217
                            [url
                            http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/Photos-video-Union-hockey-players-kids-make-5036284.php[/url]

Applaud the players going for anti-bullying class. Thinking Rick should attend one.

Comment

None of my three sons played hockey. If they had, I would have been very proud for them to have play for Coach Bennett.

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                              Yes - last line very telling and all I'm really interested in knowing / hearing at this point. As for his son playing at Denver, I understand that was the son's choice given that he knew many people there from his pre-college years.

Comment

http://www.dailygazette.com/news/201...26_more-union/

Union College students forgiving of coach’s action
                                Most interviewed see Bennett as passionate, sincere in his apology

SCHENECTADY — Derek Kahr plays club hockey at Union College.
                                He knows the game. And he thinks he knows what caused Union coach Rick Bennett’s fiery actions on the ice at the Times Union Center Saturday night.

“The RPI coach should have never let his team clear the bench — that was a pretty bush league thing to do,” said Kahr, 21, a sophomore economics major from Needham, Mass. Students on the Union campus, most interviewed Monday afternoon inside the Reamer Campus Center, backed Bennett’s play.
                                Kahr, eating lunch with fellow club hockey player Reed Houston, believes RPI players rushing the ice set the stage for Bennett’s reaction. “I think he had every right to be pretty mad,” he said. “I don’t know if that was the right away to handle it, but from a hockey perspective, that was pretty low to let your team clear the bench.”

Sophomore economics majors Dave Pope, 19, from Beverly, Mass., and Nick Littas, 20, from Weston, Mass., believe Bennett was just standing up for his players. Neither thought the post-game hysterics were that big a deal.
                                “I grew up in Boston, so I’m used to all the fights with the Bruins,” Pope said.
                                “I don’t think it turned any kids off,” Littas said. “It might turn some parents off.”

The incident is not likely to tarnish the reputations of Union or Bennett.
                                “The school acted pretty quickly and there was an apology,” said David Hoff, senior vice president at Hager Sharp in Washington, D.C., which performs media relations and other services for clients in the education and health sectors. “By taking quick action like that, I think the school is showing it’s taking this seriously and the statement from the coach sounds like he’s taking this seriously as well, so I don’t see this having a lasting effect for the school.”

There are some critcal comments in the article as well and a note that the real loser here .... was College Hockey.
                                Last edited by Dutchman; 01-30-2014, 04:28 PM.
                                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Working...
                                X