X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2nd Term Part VII: You May Like Your Doctor But You Can't Keep Her

Originally posted by pirate View Post
    I agree, I'm sure one concern is the amount of stranded resources and unemployment that would result. Those bases are like small cities and the amount of support jobs/manufacturing/technology is likely part of the equation.

So, we close the base...probably can't sell it. The military personnel are still paid, it costs money to shut them down and ship the equipment etc. All kinds of discontinued operations. An accountant's wet dream. If all of those military people return to the US, what do they do? Do we need to house them here, are they all discharged?

Closing a Walmart in England would have some ramifications, closing military bases across the globe would probably cost more in studies, logistics etc. than they'd save.

This is the government we're talking about...doing anything costs more money, doing nothing costs more money...thinking about doing something costs more money.
    I think a valid parallel would be what happened to the US economy post WW-II, but to a much lesser scale. Whatever was done by the Congress to facilitate the reentry of the millions of servicemen back into the economy should be emulated. BUT - we were a manufacturing economy then. Not now.

There are still, I think, remnants of 8th Air Force bases in England. I would turn the current bases over the the host country and lease back any bases (Ramstein comes to mind) that we may need to support current deployments.

For those objecting to the last post -- read this
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Does anyone think that a President Romney chooses a delegation with anyone who is openly gay to go to Russia?

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        Does anyone think that a President Romney chooses a delegation with anyone who is openly gay to go to Russia?
        Does anybody think that a person's sexual orientation should be used as the basis as to whether or not they should be Olympic representatives?

Why is we're always told that we shouldn't base our opinions of people based upon whatever differences there may be between us yet our leaders constantly look for that same whatever as the very reason we're told they're representing us? Also, why rub Russia's noses in it? Why try to spite the host nation. Now we're just picking fights for the sake of picking fights.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          Does anybody think that a person's sexual orientation should be used as the basis as to whether or not they should be Olympic representatives?

Why is we're always told that we shouldn't base our opinions of people based upon whatever differences there may be between us yet our leaders constantly look for that same whatever as the very reason we're told they're representing us? Also, why rub Russia's noses in it? Why try to spite the host nation. Now we're just picking fights for the sake of picking fights.
          Because Russia is wrong? Since when does the US cower to other countries? Should we dip our flag at these games so we don't spite the host nation? Let's tell Johnny Weir he can't compete because we don't want to be picking fights just for the sake of picking fights!

Comment

Because Russia is wrong? Since when does the US cower to other countries? Should we dip our flag at these games so we don't spite the host nation? Let's tell Johnny Weir he can't compete because we don't want to be picking fights just for the sake of picking fights!
            Why is it our concern that Russia is wrong? Their actions on this subject in no way impact the United States. And it's not cowering to a foreign power to simply pick people to represent our country based upon their merit and only their merit. Instead we're picking a fight. It's asinine and serves no true purpose other than to let other countries that we don't respect them. Russia and all other nations that have the same/similar policies as them will not give a care as to what our policies are here.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

I think I've entered the Twilight Zone.

Comment

I think I've entered the Twilight Zone.
                While you're there maybe Rod will give you a clue.

I'd really like to see your answer to St. Clowns questions. Why should it make one bit of difference that a delegation member is gay? I had to look up to see who Johnny Weir is. He seems to have had it right when he initially answered questions about his sexuality with (to paraphrase) "what difference does it make to my sport". IMO, there is absolutely no reason we should not put a gay on the delegation, however, to do so because they are gay is equally as wrong. Discrimination does work both ways out here in the Twilight Zone
                "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                Groucho Marx
                "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                Ron White
                "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                Milo Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
                  While you're there maybe Rod will give you a clue.

I'd really like to see your answer to St. Clowns questions. Why should it make one bit of difference that a delegation member is gay? I had to look up to see who Johnny Weir is. He seems to have had it right when he initially answered questions about his sexuality with (to paraphrase) "what difference does it make to my sport". IMO, there is absolutely no reason we should not put a gay on the delegation, however, to do so because they are gay is equally as wrong. Discrimination does work both ways out here in the Twilight Zone
                  So it makes no difference to us, so we shouldn't care that it makes a difference to others? So since my grandparents were white and lived in the North, they shouldn't have cared about Jim Crow laws in the South? We shouldn't care about antisemitism laws in Germany because we're not German? I have a comfortable income, so I shouldn't care about the poor because I'm not poor? Why did Reagan care if Gorbachev tore down That Wall? He wasn't living behind it.

I'm straight, so I guess I shouldn't care about gay people.

And my original question has not been answered: If Mitt Romney were president, do you think he would select an openly gay person to the delegation, regardless of his/her qualifications?
                  Last edited by Priceless; 12-21-2013, 01:51 PM.

Comment

So it makes no difference to us, so we shouldn't care that it makes a difference to others? So since my grandparents were white and lived in the North, they shouldn't have cared about Jim Crow laws in the South? We shouldn't care about antisemitism laws in Germany because we're not German? I have a comfortable income, so I shouldn't care about the poor because I'm not poor? Why did Reagan care if Gorbachev tore down That Wall? He wasn't living behind it.

I'm straight, so I guess I shouldn't care about gay people.

And my original question has not been answered: If Mitt Romney were president, do you think he would select an openly gay person to the delegation, regardless of his/her qualifications?
                    I'm an American, and by the simple political construct of this nation and the world at large, I have the potential to have a say in what happens in this nation. So why you're trying to dictate policy to a country to which we don't belong, I'll concentrate on this nation where I can make my voice heard to officials who at least have to pretend to care about my opinion on occasion. Meanwhile, Vladmir Putin never has to pretend.

As to Reagan and Gorbachev, Reagan was speaking to the leader of a nation who was interested in and taking action at changing the system there already. Reagan knew his words weren't being spoken to a man who would laugh at him in response. Putin has a giant, preemptive F-U, America sign propped up besides the main entrance to the Kremlin. Antagonizing him will do no good.

As to whether Romney would have sent an openly gay person to represent the US at the Olympics, I have no idea and anyone claiming to know is blowing smoke out their a**es. His political stances were like a sheet blowing in the wind during a tornado.

Comment

I'm an American, and by the simple political construct of this nation and the world at large, I have the potential to have a say in what happens in this nation. So why you're trying to dictate policy to a country to which we don't belong, I'll concentrate on this nation where I can make my voice heard to officials who at least have to pretend to care about my opinion on occasion. Meanwhile, Vladmir Putin never has to pretend.

As to Reagan and Gorbachev, Reagan was speaking to the leader of a nation who was interested in and taking action at changing the system there already. Reagan knew his words weren't being spoken to a man who would laugh at him in response. Putin has a giant, preemptive F-U, America sign propped up besides the main entrance to the Kremlin. Antagonizing him will do no good.

As to whether Romney would have sent an openly gay person to represent the US at the Olympics, I have no idea and anyone claiming to know is blowing smoke out their a**es. His political stances were like a sheet blowing in the wind during a tornado.
                      Well said.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

You're the one who seems to think its a big deal, whats your answer(is if I don't know). Obama is one brave guy sending a gay man over to Russia, BTW thats sarcasm
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

So Putin is not interested in things like trade. Interesting. Very well. Next time a GOP president says we have to invade a foreign land because of the people there (like, they're getting gassed) I trust you'll all be just as isolationist.

Comment

So Putin is not interested in things like trade. Interesting. Very well. Next time a GOP president says we have to invade a foreign land because of the people there (like, they're getting gassed) I trust you'll all be just as isolationist.
                            BS. Stop being such a baby. I've never said that we have to take an isolationist policy, just that we don't need to ram our morals down the throats of every trading partner. If we cut off trade with those nations with which we disagree on some subject or another we're in for a very short trading list. Not every country on this planet needs to look and act like the United States of America. Or would you rather homogenize the globe, Oh Tolerant Multi-Culturalist Liberal One?

Comment

BS. Stop being such a baby. I've never said that we have to take an isolationist policy, just that we don't need to ram our morals down the throats of every trading partner. If we cut off trade with those nations with which we disagree on some subject or another we're in for a very short trading list. Not every country on this planet needs to look and act like the United States of America. Or would you rather homogenize the globe, Oh Tolerant Multi-Culturalist Liberal One?
                              We just need to ram our morals down the throats of certain trading partners.

Comment

We just need to ram our morals down the throats of certain trading partners.
                                Whatever you say, Mr. Carter.

Comment

Working...
                                X