Denver @ RPI (12/13 & 12/14): The Battle of the Former Asst. Coaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Denver @ RPI (12/13 & 12/14): The Battle of the Former Asst. Coaches

I believe this shapes up as a favorable match-up for RPI (not an easy one -- favorable). While Denver is getting outstanding goaltending the do give up their fair share of shots per game (I like RPI's offense because of that) and they have not been a strong scoring team. While their schedule has been very respectable they have only scored 3 goals or more 4 times in those 16 games. If RPI plays well in their defensive zone both games (including on the PK) they a good chance for 2 wins.

Comment

Just curious, are any DU posters going to the games? (Are there any DU posters reading this thread? )
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Yes, Ralph I am reading the thread, but no I won't be traveling to the depths of winter from the relatively mild left coast.
        It did get below freezing here last night--31 degrees. And it rained during the day, simply "brutal" weather for SoCal.

>> Sam "The Great" Brittain has been DU's outstanding player--1.71 GAA and .944 Save% with 3 shutouts--3rd, 4th and tied for 1st respectively in national stats.

>> Special Teams 91.5% on PK (1st) and 25.0% (4th) for the Power Play.

The Pios are very much a work in progress. The defense scored almost all the goals for the first 3 or 4 weeks, Since then the fowards have come on, particularly Freshman Forward Trevor Moore, who is now the leading scorer with 14 points. Sophomore Q Shore and junior defenseman Joey LaLeggia are tied for 2nd with 12 points.
        (This is the 1st time in 4 years we haven't had to differentiate the Shore brothers by an initial--D< N< or Q. Fourth brother Baker is only 14 and hasn't signed a NLOI yet.)

Freshman Will Butcher D and Quentin Shore F will be going to the WJC Evaluation Camp that begins on the 15th as will Asst. Coach David Lassonde. I assume they will be there for Saturday's game.
        GO DU !!!

Comment

Looking forward too having a beer with Monty but hoping for rpi 2 wins and he knows that !!
          I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

Originally posted by 1988 View Post
            If RPI plays well in their defensive zone both games (including on the PK) they a good chance for 2 wins.
            And they have to do it for a full 3 periods. Just doing it for the first 20 minutes will not be enough. We have been a superb first period team-but we need to carry that further into every game.
            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              Why?
              See hawthr's response.

Comment

Just curious, are any DU posters going to the games? (Are there any DU posters reading this thread? )
                I'm driving up from NJ for both games. DU has made no arrangements for its fans to get tickets. I know of 3 others coming up.

You have some DU connection I believe.

Comment

I note that the NCHC standings list Denver with 4W, 3L, 1T, and 1 SO for a winning percentage of .562 in league competition.

.562 would seem to translate into 4.5 wins in 8 games, so evidently they've only played eight league games.

Does the 1 SO mean that Denver won a shootout after the regular overtime finished with the score still tied? Or does it mean that they lost the shootout?

If they won the shootout, is the result of that game counted in the W column? If they lost the shootout, is the result counted in the L column? Or is the result of a shootout game always counted in the T column, regardless of which team won or lost?

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                    I note that the NCHC standings list Denver with 4W, 3L, 1T, and 1 SO for a winning percentage of .562 in league competition.

.562 would seem to translate into 4.5 wins in 8 games, so evidently they've only played eight league games.

Does the 1 SO mean that Denver won a shootout after the regular overtime finished with the score still tied? Or does it mean that they lost the shootout?

If they won the shootout, is the result of that game counted in the W column? If they lost the shootout, is the result counted in the L column? Or is the result of a shootout game always counted in the T column, regardless of which team won or lost?
                    The NCAA ignores the shootouts entirely for the purpose of RPI and PWR. My understanding (subject to change if a Denver fan posts) is that the NCHC gives 3 points for a win in regulation or overtime, 2 for a shootout win, and 1 for a shootout loss. The percentage is the NCAA percentage, not the NCHC percentage. Why? I don't know. Denver has played 8 league games, 4 wins, 3 losses, and a tie which became a shootout win, for a total of 14 league points (4*3 + 1*2).
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

The NCAA ignores the shootouts entirely for the purpose of RPI and PWR. My understanding (subject to change if a Denver fan posts) is that the NCHC gives 3 points for a win in regulation or overtime, 2 for a shootout win, and 1 for a shootout loss. The percentage is the NCAA percentage, not the NCHC percentage. Why? I don't know. Denver has played 8 league games, 4 wins, 3 losses, and a tie which became a shootout win, for a total of 14 league points (4*3 + 1*2).
                      The shootout is only done for the purposes of awarding the extra point in the league standings. You do not get a "W" in the win column for a shootout win so technically it is still a tie for winning percentage purposes.
                      DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by thedunker View Post
                        I'm driving up from NJ for both games. DU has made no arrangements for its fans to get tickets. I know of 3 others coming up.

You have some DU connection I believe.
                        You should be able to walk up to get tickets. The only game we sell out is Freakout. Typically the visitors are behind section 21 or 20 ( behind the pole so the home fans don't have to look at you ), but sometimes I see the opposition around section 10. It used to be Section 1, but they have wheeled off that temporary seating so that old fogies that throw thousands of dollars at the 'tute can eat stale cookies. We use Don Cherry approved benches on opposite sides; the DU bench is behind section 8. You should be able to move around to find your buddies, as seating assignment is not strict for these games assuming you aren't taking someone's ticketed seat and they demand it.

And for those not able to make the trip, I understand from the RPI-TV folks that they will have a limited setup. Not the full one with all five cameras because it's finals week and most students are going out of town, but a couple of angles will be in play for their free HD broadcast; take a look at rpitv.org a little before game time.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                          The shootout is only done for the purposes of awarding the extra point in the league standings. You do not get a "W" in the win column for a shootout win so technically it is still a tie for winning percentage purposes.
                          As far as the NCAA is concerned it is, but as far as the NCHC concerned it seems that 2/3 of a win would make more sense.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

As far as the NCAA is concerned it is, but as far as the NCHC concerned it seems that 2/3 of a win would make more sense.
                            Here is from the NCHC presser on the shootout and ties. They are recording them as ties. I agree with you Ralph as what they should do but they aren't.

All NCHC regular-season conference match-ups will feature a shootout should the game end in a tie at the conclusion of a five-minute overtime period. Any game that uses a shootout will be officially recorded as a tie within the overall record of each team. The Pairwise ranking will be calculated knowing the game was officially recorded as a tie.
                            Last edited by du78; 12-09-2013, 12:19 PM.
                            DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Shootouts are for the meek and the slow-witted. WTH, NCHC?
                              Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                                Shootouts are for the meek and the slow-witted. WTH, NCHC?
                                It is also for the binary minded that feel there must be a winner and a loser. Also simple minded folk in the B1G.

Comment

Working...
                                X