Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 58

Thread: Lake Forest

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    122

    Lake Forest

    Anybody interested in this new season [NCHA} .... Hammer, D3dad how is this years team? any interesting additions? how will they fair w/o a senior in goal?
    IceChips

  2. #2
    Rocking 'The Stone'
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Retired in De Pere
    Posts
    3,571

    Re: Lake Forest

    Quote Originally Posted by icechips View Post
    Anybody interested in this new season [NCHA} .... Hammer, D3dad how is this years team? any interesting additions? how will they fair w/o a senior in goal?
    Yes, I am VERY interested in the "New NCHA" this season...don't know much about LFC...we have not played them since they joined the MCHA...will this year!!
    Anytime you lose a Sr. goalie, a team goes thru a process of determining who the regular replacement will be...just ask Eau Claire about that this season..
    SNC Men:
    Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
    NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
    SNC Women:
    O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    122

    Re: Lake Forest

    Quote Originally Posted by pete99race View Post
    Yes, I am VERY interested in the "New NCHA" this season...don't know much about LFC...we have not played them since they joined the MCHA...will this year!!
    Anytime you lose a Sr. goalie, a team goes thru a process of determining who the regular replacement will be...just ask Eau Claire about that this season..
    Any comments or thoughts on how good you guys will be this season and the level of competition expected from NCHA teams vs. where you were before?
    IceChips

  4. #4
    Rocking 'The Stone'
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Retired in De Pere
    Posts
    3,571

    Re: Lake Forest

    Quote Originally Posted by icechips View Post
    Any comments or thoughts on how good you guys will be this season and the level of competition expected from NCHA teams vs. where you were before?
    SNC will be fielding another competitive squad....practices have been very spirited.
    1 -- Top 8 d-men are virtually inter changeable.
    2 -- Competition for the 4th forward line will be intense....6 --7 guys going for playing time on that line.
    3 -- Got Jake back in net...freshman Kujava has a promising future.
    Conference wise, I believe that the addition of SNC and CSS will elevate the play in conf games among all teams.
    SNC has played all conf opponents, except Finlandia and Northland, in past years.
    Our games with Adrian, MSOE, Marian, Concordia and Lawrence has been very competitive.
    LFC not so much, but I think they have improved dramatically since our last meeting.
    Should be a fun season to see what develops...
    SNC Men:
    Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
    NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
    SNC Women:
    O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    122

    Re: Lake Forest

    Guess this weekend set the improvement meter to the proper setting.
    IceChips

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    122

    Re: Lake Forest

    Another point .... sure wish LFC would fix this internet broadcast it was spotty most of the game. They should move the camera from behind the netting too. Hey take a look at St. Norbert's broadcast in high def!!!! come on LFC get in the game.
    IceChips

  7. #7
    Rocking 'The Stone'
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Retired in De Pere
    Posts
    3,571

    Re: Lake Forest

    Quote Originally Posted by icechips View Post
    Guess this weekend set the improvement meter to the proper setting.
    LFC put up a much better fight vs SNC on Sat nite at home, than the Friday night contest @ the CCC.
    The Knights just have a better mix of offense/defense going right now.
    Noticed a couple improvements to the LFC arena:
    Like: the new individual chair seats..sure beats the cold metal bleachers.
    Don't Like: the black netting above the glass..took a while to adjust to it...white comes off much better.
    Next project: replace the restrooms, which are currently located behind the team benches..
    Now you share the mens room with the visiting team!!
    SNC Men:
    Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
    NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
    SNC Women:
    O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    122

    Re: Lake Forest

    Looks like Foresters are moving in the wrong direction, so old foresters. The honeymoon is over for McKelvie his last 2 classes are not showing much talent and in their league that puts them near the bottom. Appears LFC is not too serious about hockey and content with subpar coaching and results with losing record every year.
    IceChips

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Living with the Flatlanders & Cheeseheads
    Posts
    266

    Re: Lake Forest

    Quote Originally Posted by icechips View Post
    Looks like Foresters are moving in the wrong direction, so old foresters. The honeymoon is over for McKelvie his last 2 classes are not showing much talent and in their league that puts them near the bottom. Appears LFC is not too serious about hockey and content with subpar coaching and results with losing record every year.
    Chips,

    McKelvie isn't the problem just like his predecessor, Gregory, wasn't the problem. Did you notice how the Lady Forester hockey squad has also declined over the past few seasons ??

    LFC is focused on Basketball, Football, and the other sports way ahead of hockey. You do know that Handball is the most storied sport on that campus ?

    I think you need to refocus your displeasure of the men's hockey team on the AD, and not Coach McKelvie.
    2011-2012 NCHAMIACMCHA PICK'EM CHAMPION
    2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA PICK'EM 2ND PLACE
    THE NCHA -ADRIAN-AURORA-CONCORDIA (WI)-FINLANDIA-LAKE FOREST-LAWRENCE-MARIAN-MSOE-NORTHLAND-ST. NORBERT-ST. SCHOLASTICA

  10. #10
    We'll be back. Hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Shopping for a defenseman to replace Lidstrom
    Posts
    37,486

    Re: Lake Forest

    Unless they've made major renovations since last November, they've got to do something with that arena, too, starting with lighting and sound system. You're not supposed to see shadows in the corners, and a pair of Campbell's soup cans would give better sound quality. It has the look and feel of a cross between a 4-H building and an American Legion hall straight out of 1972. I was watching Adrian warm up before one of last year's games and kept wondering what time they started auctioning off cattle in that place.

    The rest of the campus is very, very nice, including the facility right next door.....then you walk into that ^.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR


    God, that was fun...

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Living with the Flatlanders & Cheeseheads
    Posts
    266

    Re: Lake Forest

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Unless they've made major renovations since last November, they've got to do something with that arena, too, starting with lighting and sound system. You're not supposed to see shadows in the corners, and a pair of Campbell's soup cans would give better sound quality. It has the look and feel of a cross between a 4-H building and an American Legion hall straight out of 1972. I was watching Adrian warm up before one of last year's games and kept wondering what time they started auctioning off cattle in that place.

    The rest of the campus is very, very nice, including the facility right next door.....then you walk into that ^.
    Hammer, you hit the nail right on the head. (Sorry I couldn't resist)

    For the past 20 years the local High School teams that play there, either against Lake Forest High School or for early round state playoffs, would always be less than enamored with the rink. Even the youth league teams that played the Highland Park Falcons in this venue cringed when they walked in. Paint, new seating, and new dasherboards do not a rink make. The local HS hockey talent has heard the same pitch for decades when being recruited, " The college, the town, and the HS are working together to build a new rink in the next two years".

    Meanwhile, the rest of the campus, including some of the dorms, have been renovated or newly constructed.( I'm aware that it's a different source of funding for those projects). The new Athletic Center is sweet, and the hockey players do workout there as all LFC athletes do. Unfortunately, they don't play in a similar state-of -the-art facility. Perhaps, this is another reason to ask the AD about what the athletic departments commitment to hockey really is. The AD has been a fixture at LFC for over two decades so I'm sure the AD has formulated a good response.
    2011-2012 NCHAMIACMCHA PICK'EM CHAMPION
    2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA PICK'EM 2ND PLACE
    THE NCHA -ADRIAN-AURORA-CONCORDIA (WI)-FINLANDIA-LAKE FOREST-LAWRENCE-MARIAN-MSOE-NORTHLAND-ST. NORBERT-ST. SCHOLASTICA

  12. #12
    We'll be back. Hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Shopping for a defenseman to replace Lidstrom
    Posts
    37,486

    Re: Lake Forest

    I'm not saying they need to build a palace. However, you do need to clean up what you already have. The dasher boards, a nice coat of paint and new seating make for a nice start, but that's all that is, a nice start. If you're focusing major money in the athletic department on other sports, I get that. But just modernize the place. I love the wood ceilings, but the lighting looks like Thomas Edison himself came up with it.

    Regarding the sound system, I'll just say this: put your hand over your mouth and try to talk to someone. That's pretty close to the sound quality in the arena.

    The boxes for the goal judges are comical at best. Some thin ladder, up into a booth about 12 feet off the ground, with foggy glass, into a contraption that looks like it belongs in The Jetsons. If you haven't seen these things, you gotta believe me. They look ridiculous. And they lock them, too. I saw one of them padlocked before a game. Like someone is going to scale that rickety ladder and do anything in those things. Oh, and the lighting on them isn't exactly the best, either. Nothing like a goal judge that can barely see through the fogged up glass, pushing a button to light the goal light that may or may not light.
    Last edited by Hammer; 01-10-2014 at 10:07 PM. Reason: pitiful grammar.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR


    God, that was fun...

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    122

    Re: Lake Forest

    Hams,
    Your so correct its funny. Try watching a game on the internet, the camera is behind the black netting and with the lighting bad for the players it's horrible for watching a game too.

    MW49,
    You made some points on the AD, she sure is not up to speed on the quality of organizations kids are coming from to play at LFC, most have better all around programs than the college. There is only one (1) booster club for the whole school and a LFC parent I talked with said that the school discourages any backing from parents for a specific team. So much for trying to build a better program to compete in a conference that is tops in the nation. Players and parents are set up for frustration.

    It's obvious that hockey is 3rd chair at best at LFC. McKelvie is a young coach and plays hard *** which wears thin when your not improving and the players accept they are 3rd class citizens, just look at the lack of senior leadership.
    IceChips

  14. #14
    We'll be back. Hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Shopping for a defenseman to replace Lidstrom
    Posts
    37,486

    Re: Lake Forest

    I watched part of one of the Adrian women's games there last year online. I actually preferred that to being in that particular arena.

    The arena is well out of place in regards to the surrounding campus. Kinda like how a homeless drunk is out of place at Tiffany's.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    5,569

    Re: Lake Forest

    Maybe someone should point out how much energy savings they could achieve by updating the lighting to something recent. (LED would be the way to go, but that cost might scare them). Most colleges and universities are ALL about looking "green" now.
    Go 'Wick!

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Living with the Flatlanders & Cheeseheads
    Posts
    266

    Re: Lake Forest

    Quote Originally Posted by icechips View Post
    Looks like Foresters are moving in the wrong direction, so old foresters. The honeymoon is over for McKelvie his last 2 classes are not showing much talent and in their league that puts them near the bottom. Appears LFC is not too serious about hockey and content with subpar coaching and results with losing record every year.
    The Foresters just had a decent road trip up in Minnesota tying the MIAC's 2nd place Gustavus Adolphus, and beating 7th place St.Olaf.
    LFC is currently in 5th place in the NCHA with a 4-5-0 record, and an overall 6-8-1 record with 10 games left to play (2 games each with Marian, LU, MSOE, Adrian and one each with CUW and Amherst.) With those games left it is very possible for them to finish over .500 in the NCHA, and even for their overall record. That would be a big step for them going in the right direction. LFC having a winning record and finishing in the top half of the NCHA is very acceptable progress. Imagine what they could do with an AD that supports the sport.
    2011-2012 NCHAMIACMCHA PICK'EM CHAMPION
    2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA PICK'EM 2ND PLACE
    THE NCHA -ADRIAN-AURORA-CONCORDIA (WI)-FINLANDIA-LAKE FOREST-LAWRENCE-MARIAN-MSOE-NORTHLAND-ST. NORBERT-ST. SCHOLASTICA

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    122

    Re: Lake Forest

    There seems to be comments on the AD not supporting the sport. I thought McKelvie was not getting it done, is it more he is handcuffed?

    Quote Originally Posted by MW49 View Post
    The Foresters just had a decent road trip up in Minnesota tying the MIAC's 2nd place Gustavus Adolphus, and beating 7th place St.Olaf.
    LFC is currently in 5th place in the NCHA with a 4-5-0 record, and an overall 6-8-1 record with 10 games left to play (2 games each with Marian, LU, MSOE, Adrian and one each with CUW and Amherst.) With those games left it is very possible for them to finish over .500 in the NCHA, and even for their overall record. That would be a big step for them going in the right direction. LFC having a winning record and finishing in the top half of the NCHA is very acceptable progress. Imagine what they could do with an AD that supports the sport.
    IceChips

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    429

    Re: Lake Forest

    Quote Originally Posted by icechips View Post
    There seems to be comments on the AD not supporting the sport. I thought McKelvie was not getting it done, is it more he is handcuffed?
    Look, you need to give the guy more than one full recruiting class to get the program headed in the right direction. This would be true if they had a brand new rink and/or if Scotty Bowman was the AD.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Living with the Flatlanders & Cheeseheads
    Posts
    266

    Re: Lake Forest

    Quote Originally Posted by AVFC View Post
    Look, you need to give the guy more than one full recruiting class to get the program headed in the right direction. This would be true if they had a brand new rink and/or if Scotty Bowman was the AD.
    Well, as Meatloaf says, "2 out of 3 ain't bad".
    - 1)The coach does need time and more than one full recruiting class to get his program rebuilt.
    - 2)Yes, a brand new rink, itself, isn't going to make a winner. However, it would help recruiting & morale since most other LFC sport teams are playing in a new or modernized facility.

    The Bowman comment is cute, but Scotty only had the Blackhawks to worry about. He didn't build an arena for the Bulls, update the ballpark for the White Sox, lay down new turf at Soldier Field for the Bears, and then just repaint an old warehouse with new seats for the Blackhawks.
    2011-2012 NCHAMIACMCHA PICK'EM CHAMPION
    2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA PICK'EM 2ND PLACE
    THE NCHA -ADRIAN-AURORA-CONCORDIA (WI)-FINLANDIA-LAKE FOREST-LAWRENCE-MARIAN-MSOE-NORTHLAND-ST. NORBERT-ST. SCHOLASTICA

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    122

    Re: Lake Forest

    Is this not the coaches 3rd season? The fact that he is in the best league in the nation should be a pretty good reason to come play, it can't be all the facilities.

    Quote Originally Posted by AVFC View Post
    Look, you need to give the guy more than one full recruiting class to get the program headed in the right direction. This would be true if they had a brand new rink and/or if Scotty Bowman was the AD.
    IceChips

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •