Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WCHA Video Streaming

WCHA Video Streaming

Today at 8:36 PM
    WCHA commissioner Bruce McLeod said two years ago, he received a note from then-CCHA commissioner Fred Pletsch.

The topic of discussion: the online streaming of college hockey games.

“He said, ‘Bruce, I’m telling you, I think this streaming is the route to go. It’s going to get better and better,’” McLeod said as he recounted the story from the Berry Events Center seats in Marquette last Friday. “He said, ‘Kids on campuses, they look at things on their iPads and laptops.

They don’t look at television anymore.

Read more: https://www.uscho.com/2013/10/30/wcha...#ixzz2jGracBdx

at least not a knock at radio LOL

Re: WCHA Video Streaming

Great to hear the streaming has generated revenue beyond expectations. Now, why not make sure all systems are checked for quality standards before streaming. The Hunstville stream quality both video and audio, including the unprofessional commentators was embarrassing. We are paying $150 for the season pass thus generating "unexpected revenue". Our expectations exceed that rinky dink presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by soulbeaver View Post
    Great to hear the streaming has generated revenue beyond expectations. Now, why not make sure all systems are checked for quality standards before streaming. The Hunstville stream quality both video and audio, including the unprofessional commentators was embarrassing. We are paying $150 for the season pass thus generating "unexpected revenue". Our expectations exceed that rinky dink presentation.
    If you have followed the BSU Beavers Thread, one of the Huntsville announcers has apologized for the quality of the broadcast last weekend. He has done radio broadcasting in the past for the Chargers and he was all prepared to follow the PBP guy, like a good color person would. But the PBP guy was totally unprepared and that ruined the whole broadcast.

Technical issues are just that, technical issues. When you have a two and a half hour hockey game and something goes wrong, trying to track down where the problem lies, whether it is in the arena or with AmericaOne, can be a problem. Especially when a lot of these arenas don't have the broadcast crew on hand like Bemidji and the broadcast team IS the technical crew, well, stuff happens.

This is a great start for the conference and hopefully it can grow, maybe into some sort of TV game of the week or something, somewhere.
    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

So can/do you:

1) have to pay a subscription fee?
    2) get free access by registering your cable company info?
    3) get free access to watch any WCHA game?
    Go Gophers!

Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    So can/do you:

1) have to pay a subscription fee?
    2) get free access by registering your cable company info?
    3) get free access to watch any WCHA game?
    1) yes
    2) no
    3) no

https://www.americaonesports.com/package_wcha.asp

Bottom line - $150 for the whole season for every game from every conference team (basically - road non conference games aren't included). The cost was discounted to $125 if purchased before 10/1.

I'm happy everyone is thrilled with the funding they've discovered. Unfortunately, this means that they'll never give it away free like they had said they would.
    Last edited by moose97; 10-31-2013 at 11:01 AM.
    Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
    B1G: UMinn, UWisc
    ECAC:
    HEA: UMass, Notre Dame
    NCHC: UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
    WCHA: UAH, BSU, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU

Inactive: BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

lucky penguin

How much of that "unexpected revenue" is being blown on flying the commissioner from his office in Denver to Houghon just to tell his usual, long, boring-*** stories about how clueless he was?

Quote Originally Posted by moose97 View Post
    I'm happy everyone is thrilled with the funding they've discovered. Unfortunately, this means that they'll never give it away free like they had said they would.
    AmericaOne isn't hosting these feeds out of the goodness of their hearts. Of every $150 subscriber, they're taking a big chunk before passing the rest along to the WCHA.

If the WCHA could take care of things in-house and add sponsorship, it wouldn't be free but could be much lower. The WCHA can also write off discounts and free games as market promotion.

If they can work with Fox Sports again (if/when FoxSportsGo takes off) you may see a "Free with TV subscription" model used.

Legend in everybodys mind

The WCHA needs to have a Roku and Apple TV channel. ASAP!
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!
    Blogs.
    https://twitter.com/CHeisenberg
    https://www.gopherpucklive.com/
    My website

Put a jumbotron in Ewigleben!

What the WCHA really needs to explore is hitting up all the sports bars in the ten WCHA towns and encouraging them to buy the package and play WCHA hockey on their TVs on Friday and Saturday nights. Some die hard fans will buy the package for use at home, but I really think drawing attention to other league games and your local team's away games at bars around town would be a fantastic way to increase exposure and fan interest. I'd love to hop over to a sports bar after leaving the rink and catch some central time zone or Alaskan WCHA games.

Much like Rocky Wirtz putting the Blackhawks back on TV, increased attention outside of the arena will bolster ticket and merchandise sales in the arena. I think it'd even be worth it to hit up regional bars in towns that don't have a local team. There are a lot of college hockey fans and alumni in Minneapolis, St. Paul, Detroit, Chicago and Grand Rapids.

PS. It is disturbing that the commissioner of the league is so ignorant of modern technology.
    "What I get paid for are the practices, I would play the games for nothing."
    - Tim Horton

Ferris State University
    CCHA Champions 2003 & 2012

Quote Originally Posted by hattrick16 View Post
    PS. It is disturbing that the commissioner of the league is so ignorant of modern technology.
    While I kinda agree, what did the other commissioners do to push "new media" ways of attracting fans? The CCHA was finally coming around and hitting home runs on all social media (YouTube/Twitter/Facebook), and the NCHC tried to push Twitter/Facebook... but the leagues are run by the old guard. They looked to TV deals and old webpage ideas.

I have to commend the WCHA and the member schools for picking up the dropped ball from FoxSports and attempting to do something with it. Maybe it was the forced "outside the box" thinking where they realized they are the small fish and needed to do something different.

I just hope the WCHA can stay ahead of the other leagues.

What the WCHA really needs to explore is hitting up all the sports bars in the ten WCHA towns and encouraging them to buy the package and play WCHA hockey on their TVs on Friday and Saturday nights. Some die hard fans will buy the package for use at home, but I really think drawing attention to other league games and your local team's away games at bars around town would be a fantastic way to increase exposure and fan interest. I'd love to hop over to a sports bar after leaving the rink and catch some central time zone or Alaskan WCHA games.
    I don't think that the video quality is up to putting it on anything bigger than a 27" screen. Perhaps I'm noticing the compression artifacts more because I'm sitting closer to the screen than you would for normal TV, but I don't think that it would scale very well.

GFM <— hasn't watched last weekend's broadcasts to see how we got better or worse.
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Quote Originally Posted by gfmorris View Post
    I don't think that the video quality is up to putting it on anything bigger than a 27" screen. Perhaps I'm noticing the compression artifacts more because I'm sitting closer to the screen than you would for normal TV, but I don't think that it would scale very well.
    That's interesting. I have not purchased the package but with many people owning TVs larger than 27" already, I'm curious what their experience has been.

Maybe as the kinks get worked out and the feeds get better this is more doable.
    - Tim Horton

Ferris State University

My computer is hooked up to a 40" TV, so that's how I've watched all games this season. Honestly, even the best feeds aren't really HD. Running them in a window, some of them look pretty good, but when you go to full screen, it starts getting rough. That said, I'm also sitting 6 feet away, from more of a distance it probably wouldn't be as bad.

That's interesting. I have not purchased the package but with many people owning TVs larger than 27" already, I'm curious what their experience has been.

Maybe as the kinks get worked out and the feeds get better this is more doable.
    I have a 27" iMac and a 25" TV slaved to it. The TV gets the games. Going full-screen is rough when viewed at three feet. I think that it would be pretty bad scaled up from that. I haven't tied it to my 73" projector yet.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Mankato's setup is very nice. Are they doing that for local TV and repurposing the feed out to A1? We're nowhere near that.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

I know it's late for America One to try it, but the AppleTV has gotten much more open adding new content channels over the last month.

If Fox Sports doesn't get their app going, America One needs to get an app on the AppleTV (and Roku).

I was very pleased last weekend with the feeds. Watching the Bulldogs in the Soo was fun and catching the end of the BGSU vs. UAH game was spectacular. The late night game in Anchorage was also very entertaining.

I expect the announcers, camera men and video quality will only get better. I've been using an HDMI cable pretty successfully, but apps would be nice.
    - Tim Horton

Ferris State University

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

I have been pretty pleased with the feeds, granted its not like watching a game in HD from FSD or FSN but it doesn't look horrible on my plasma. I sit far enough back and care enough about the game to enjoy it and I love the PIP/audio from one feed while watching another so I can watch another game during intermission yet still hear the intermission report from my Huskies game.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    I know it's late for America One to try it, but the AppleTV has gotten much more open adding new content channels over the last month.

If Fox Sports doesn't get their app going, America One needs to get an app on the AppleTV (and Roku).
    There's no way something as small as AmericaONE gets any kind of traction with Apple.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Veteran

Much like Rocky Wirtz putting the Blackhawks back on TV, increased attention outside of the arena will bolster ticket and merchandise sales in the arena. I think it'd even be worth it to hit up regional bars in towns that don't have a local team. There are a lot of college hockey fans and alumni in Minneapolis, St. Paul, Detroit, Chicago and Grand Rapids.

Ferris State's production has 4 camera angles, instant replays, graphics, score/time bug, etc. The local Buffalo Wild Wings and Cranker's Brewery shows these games by connecting a laptop to a machine that blasts the game onto their various projection screens/TV's:

https://www.ferrisstatebulldogs.com/s.../UAF_Highlight
    Last edited by DominicHennig; 12-15-2013 at 02:04 AM.

Thread Information