Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

Thread: B1G/Hockey East Challenge - Let the Domination Commence!

  1. #1
    Gurtholfin
    Guest

    B1G/Hockey East Challenge - Let the Domination Commence!

    This deserves it's own thread as the BTHC sets out to assert our superiority over our friends to the east for years to come. Forget about recent titles, (seriously, who cares?) it's about the Challenge!


    https://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...092413aac.html


    "Eleven of the country's most storied college hockey programs will compete this fall in the inaugural Big Ten/Hockey East Challenge, it was announced today by the Big Ten Conference and the Hockey East Association. Eleven different institutions will participate in 13 designated games to be played between October 18-27, with six games in Hockey East arenas on the first weekend, followed by six games in Big Ten arenas and a single game on neutral ice on the second weekend."


    In all seriousness, I love this idea!


    Obviously, this won't get much (any?) traction outside of college hockey circles, but it should be fun on here.

    Discuss?

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    14,471

    Re: B1G/Hockey East Challenge - Let the Domination Commence!

    I've called for something like this in the past...love the idea.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Back down in Uptown
    Posts
    13,460

    Re: B1G/Hockey East Challenge - Let the Domination Commence!

    Based on the schedule, it appears that this was thrown together with games already scheduled those weekends. I would assume future events will include all B1G teams. It would be nice if they managed to get all or most of the Hockey East teams involved. If its done well, this could be a hit, albeit small, to the NCHC.
    Last edited by 5mn_Major; 09-24-2013 at 12:31 PM.
    Go Gophers!

  4. #4
    Legend in everybodys mind
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bloomington, MN
    Posts
    7,838

    Re: B1G/Hockey East Challenge - Let the Domination Commence!

    Don't we need more BiG teams in this challenge? Maybe going forward things will change.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!
    Blogs.
    https://twitter.com/CHeisenberg
    https://www.gopherpucklive.com/
    My website

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Back down in Uptown
    Posts
    13,460

    Re: B1G/Hockey East Challenge - Let the Domination Commence!

    NCHC/WCHA challenge! (or not)
    Go Gophers!

  6. #6
    Priceless
    Guest

    Re: B1G/Hockey East Challenge - Let the Domination Commence!

    Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Based on the schedule, it appears that this was thrown together with games already scheduled those weekends. I would assume future events will include all B1G teams. It would be nice if they managed to get all or most of the Big East teams involved. If its done well, this could be a hit, albeit small, to the NCHC.
    Why would we include basketball in a hockey challenge?

  7. #7
    Gurtholfin
    Guest

    Re: B1G/Hockey East Challenge - Let the Domination Commence!

    Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Why would we include basketball in a hockey challenge?

    I almost made that mistake in the title...

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Back down in Uptown
    Posts
    13,460

    Re: B1G/Hockey East Challenge - Let the Domination Commence!

    Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Why would we include basketball in a hockey challenge?
    Edited for grandchild posterity.
    Go Gophers!

  9. #9
    Yandle in The Wind
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    DC/Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,314

    Re: B1G/Hockey East Challenge - Let the Domination Commence!

    I'm actually hoping that we see a preview the previous weekend at Mariucci, if Clarkson and/or Mercyhurst don't stand in the way of a UNH/Minnesota IceBreaker final!
    Signature line intentionally left blank.

  10. #10
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    41,725

    Re: B1G/Hockey East Challenge - Let the Domination Commence!

    penn state @ vermont?!?

    for world domination?!?!?!?! :O
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    719

    Re: B1G/Hockey East Challenge - Let the Domination Commence!

    As a Merrimack fan, it's pretty exciting even though we aren't involved this year. We don't get the best OOC matchups, so anything that could get us into your rinks or vice versa is fantastic.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lunenburg,MA
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
    As a Merrimack fan, it's pretty exciting even though we aren't involved this year. We don't get the best OOC matchups, so anything that could get us into your rinks or vice versa is fantastic.
    I agree. I would pick one weekend and have the top 6 Hockey East teams from the previous year play the big ten. Odd years at Big, even at HE.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    7,186

    Re: B1G/Hockey East Challenge - Let the Domination Commence!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    This deserves it's own thread as the BTHC sets out to assert our superiority over our friends to the east for years to come. Forget about recent titles, (seriously, who cares?) it's about the Challenge!


    https://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...092413aac.html


    "Eleven of the country's most storied college hockey programs will compete this fall in the inaugural Big Ten/Hockey East Challenge, it was announced today by the Big Ten Conference and the Hockey East Association. Eleven different institutions will participate in 13 designated games to be played between October 18-27, with six games in Hockey East arenas on the first weekend, followed by six games in Big Ten arenas and a single game on neutral ice on the second weekend."


    In all seriousness, I love this idea!


    Obviously, this won't get much (any?) traction outside of college hockey circles, but it should be fun on here.

    Discuss?
    Probably a pretty good idea, but it might be a bit of hyperbole to refer to the participants as "eleven of the country's most storied college hockey programs."
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

  14. #14
    Gopher Hockey Driftryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    6,708

    Re: B1G/Hockey East Challenge - Let the Domination Commence!

    This is a great idea! It will be nice to play against Hockey East every year going forward and to travel out East more often.


    Should be some exciting hockey.
    Quote Originally Posted by CavalryNate View Post
    Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: B1G/Hockey East Challenge - Let the Domination Commence!

    Quote Originally Posted by MCgrad07 View Post
    I agree. I would pick one weekend and have the top 6 Hockey East teams from the previous year play the big ten. Odd years at Big, even at HE.
    Better make it the bottom 6 teams from HE... to make it fair

    Just have scheduled it as :

    b1g #1 v HE #1
    b1g #1 v HE #2
    b1g #2 v HE #3
    b1g #2 v HE #4
    b1g #3 v HE #5
    b1g #3 v HE #6
    b1g #4 v HE #7
    b1g #4 v HE #8
    b1g #5 v HE #9
    b1g #5 v HE #10
    b1g #6 v HE #11
    b1g #6 v HE #12

    Then everyone gets to play, and relatively equal competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokydad View Post
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    719

    Re: B1G/Hockey East Challenge - Let the Domination Commence!

    Quote Originally Posted by jcarter7669 View Post
    Better make it the bottom 6 teams from HE... to make it fair

    Just have scheduled it as :

    b1g #1 v HE #1
    b1g #1 v HE #2
    b1g #2 v HE #3
    b1g #2 v HE #4
    b1g #3 v HE #5
    b1g #3 v HE #6
    b1g #4 v HE #7
    b1g #4 v HE #8
    b1g #5 v HE #9
    b1g #5 v HE #10
    b1g #6 v HE #11
    b1g #6 v HE #12

    Then everyone gets to play, and relatively equal competition.
    It's a good idea, but B1G would have to be willing to share some of the travel costs here. I would wager the budgets of the B1G are in a different stratosphere from the bottom third of HEA..

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Back down in Uptown
    Posts
    13,460

    Re: B1G/Hockey East Challenge - Let the Domination Commence!

    Yours is probably fairer. Below is edited for a bigger payday and therefore, will probably happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by jcarter7669 View Post
    b1g #1 v HE #1
    b1g #1 v HE #1
    b1g #2 v HE #2
    b1g #2 v HE #2
    b1g #3 v HE #3
    b1g #3 v HE #4
    b1g #4 v HE #5
    b1g #4 v HE #6
    b1g #5 v HE #7
    b1g #5 v HE #8
    b1g #6 v HE #9
    b1g #6 v HE #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
    It's a good idea, but B1G would have to be willing to share some of the travel costs here. I would wager the budgets of the B1G are in a different stratosphere from the bottom third of HEA..
    Doubt that happens.
    Last edited by 5mn_Major; 09-24-2013 at 01:54 PM.
    Go Gophers!

  18. #18
    Holding court
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    HOTel cORAL esSEX
    Posts
    5,862

    Re: B1G/Hockey East Challenge - Let the Domination Commence!

    Jdubbs is going to ruin this thread by 10 pm EST.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    551

    Re: B1G/Hockey East Challenge - Let the Domination Commence!

    I assume this wasn't planned ahead of time and the two conferences decided to start it after the schedules were created, perhaps because of the changes to to pwr. Is this how the B1G teams are getting road games?

    Regardless, I'm really excited about this and hope that all the Hockey East teams are involved in the future
    The University of Massachusetts:

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    551

    Re: B1G/Hockey East Challenge - Let the Domination Commence!

    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    Probably a pretty good idea, but it might be a bit of hyperbole to refer to the participants as "eleven of the country's most storied college hockey programs."
    10 of the country's most storied college hockey programs and UMass?
    The University of Massachusetts:

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •