Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Something Strange in Hanover?

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    19

    Something Strange in Hanover?

    I was once a season ticket holder for the Dartmouth Big Green. And then something very strange happened. 1980. After going to the Frozen 4 two years straight, the Big Green failed to have a winning season for the next 20 years. In 1990-91 they only had one victory. For many years the admissions department wouldn't let the team recruit because of academic reasons only to see two very talented players go to Yale and Brown. But now things are different. Instead of being abysmal year after year, the team has now become the kings of mediocre. Since 1980 every team in the ECAC has been in the national tournament, except Dartmouth. This past season Brown played for the ECAC championship. Dartmouth beat them three times during the regular season. The ECAC champion Union was beaten and tied by Dartmouth during the regular season. Dartmouth even beat Yale the national champion early in the season. So someone please tell me why this team continues to flounder year after year?

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    14,494

    Re: Something Strange in Hanover?

    I don't think flounder is the right word. Your kings of mediocre is pretty accurate though. Seems like they are always decent, never terrible. Just can't get over that hump and into the tourney.

  3. #3
    Capt
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I'm on a boat/TPAFL
    Posts
    12,624

    Re: Something Strange in Hanover?

    Obviously, it is because the nachos at Thompson, frankly, are mediocre.

  4. #4
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    117,039

    Re: Something Strange in Hanover?

    Because the players they have are not good.

    Next?
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    19

    Re: Something Strange in Hanover?

    Oh I almost forgot. UNH was in the NCAA tournament and they beat them as well. I might almost agree with the nachos too.

  6. #6
    Minding the gap MinnesotaNorthStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    30,333

    Re: Something Strange in Hanover?

    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    Obviously, it is because the nachos at Thompson, frankly, are mediocre.
    Can't be it. Tech has the best nachos in the WCHA and they haven't made the national tournament in forever...

    Matt Frattin for Hobey!!
    Originally posted by Quizmire
    mns, this is why i love you.

    Originally posted by Markt
    MNS - forking genius.

    Originally posted by asterisk hat
    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

    Originally posted by hockeybando
    I am a fan of MNS.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    6,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Irish View Post
    Oh I almost forgot. UNH was in the NCAA tournament and they beat them as well. I might almost agree with the nachos too.
    Yes, thanks for the reminder. That game was tough for me and my brother to watch. I think that UNH never really recovered from that loss last season. That game was also the beginning of Dartmouth's slide, I think, but the Green did not have the OOC and UML wins to fall back on as did UNH.

    The fish chowdah at Thompson was lukewarm.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    19

    Re: Something Strange in Hanover?

    Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
    Can't be it. Tech has the best nachos in the WCHA and they haven't made the national tournament in forever...
    Your point is well taken sir. It must be the lukewarm fish chowdah...................

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Because the players they have are not good.

    Next?
    Don't blame it on the kids. Dartmouth has consistently had above average players in the ECAC for many years. Looking from the outside, the problem is obvious.

  10. #10
    from Russia with love
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The lab
    Posts
    124

    Re: Something Strange in Hanover?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snively65 View Post
    Yes, thanks for the reminder. That game was tough for me and my brother to watch. I think that UNH never really recovered from that loss last season. That game was also the beginning of Dartmouth's slide, I think, but the Green did not have the OOC and UML wins to fall back on as did UNH.
    I was at that game, and to me, as a Dartmouth alum, it was awesome. Next game (loss against a pretty bad UMass team) was the beginning of the slide.

    Re: original poster's thoughts. I've been going to games since I showed up to campus as a freshman. That was the beginning of the Gaudet's tenure as the head coach. I recall UVM fans taking over Thompson early in my time there. However, it gradually filled up with Dartmouth fans as teams got better in the early 2000s. This was the first sell-out that I witnessed and it was absolutely awesome -- there was a feeling that this program is arriving as a contender on the national stage. But, as J. D. said, they haven't gotten over that hump. They've gotten as close as they can get (16th in PWR three times in the last 10 years) without crossing that threshold into the NCAAs.

    Personally, I think the next demon that they have to overcome is winning an ECAC semifinal game (haven't done that since 1980, in the Boston Garden against Clarkson)...
    Last edited by Bullmoose; 05-29-2013 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Originally forgot to add the link...
    Dartmouth College: NCAAs 1948 1949 1960 1979 1980
    University of Massachusetts: NCAAs 2007, ECAC Div. II Champs 1972

    "When in doubt, use brute force." -- Ken Thompson

  11. #11
    Priceless
    Guest

    Re: Something Strange in Hanover?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Because the players they have are not good.

    Next?
    According the College Hockey Inc the Dartmouth Big Green had 8 players in the NHL this season, the same as Maine, St Cloud, CC and Miami. More than UHN, Notre Dame or Duluth. Seems like they've had some decent players.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    19

    Re: Something Strange in Hanover?

    Larriecat, your post has me curious. I know Dartmouth has had some excellent players over many years so looking from the outside, what is the problem? Admissions? the NHL? Fan support?

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    47

    Re: Something Strange in Hanover?

    Has to be coaching. Not that Gaudet isnt good- but maybe not exceptional. I think we saw what Gadowsky did at Princeton after so many bad years. Yes he recruited better, but he really is a great coach.
    I think Harvard with Donato is even a more striking version of the phenomenon at Dartmouth

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    6,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    According the College Hockey Inc the Dartmouth Big Green had 8 players in the NHL this season, the same as Maine, St Cloud, CC and Miami. More than UHN, Notre Dame or Duluth. Seems like they've had some decent players.
    Thanks for pointing out how few UNH players get to the NHL, which is what I have used to defend Umile as a coach in another thread. But, I did not realize that Dartmouth and St Cloud had so many more players in he NHL.

  15. #15
    Ever True since '92
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lowell, MA
    Posts
    2,613

    Re: Something Strange in Hanover?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snively65 View Post
    The fish chowdah at Thompson was lukewarm.
    Well, your first mistake was buying chowdah anywhere in New Hampshire. Never trust seafood in a state with less than 20 miles of coastline.

  16. #16
    Ever True since '92
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lowell, MA
    Posts
    2,613

    Re: Something Strange in Hanover?

    Quote Originally Posted by rightwing View Post
    Has to be coaching. Not that Gaudet isnt good- but maybe not exceptional. I think we saw what Gadowsky did at Princeton after so many bad years. Yes he recruited better, but he really is a great coach.
    I think Harvard with Donato is even a more striking version of the phenomenon at Dartmouth
    Gaudet made the NCAA Tournament with Brown in 1993 with a team that was probably less talented that many of the teams he's had at Dartmouth. That being said, he had some REALLY bad years in Providence- so perhaps he is the root of the problem, and had a few years of sustained decent play at Brown due to good recruiting and team cohesion.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,557

    Re: Something Strange in Hanover?

    Gaudet is the best coach Dartmouth has had since Eddie Jeremiah, who first coached when Model-Ts were still on the road. Yeah, George Crowe took the Big Green to two F4s, but he only had 3 winning seasons in 9 and was summarily shown the door after a 3-win season. That was beginning of about 20 years of terrible Dartmouth hockey (Union was even arguably better than the Green at times during this period). IMO Gaudet is a good to very good coach who, along with Peters, has recruited some very good players. His teams play a good style of hockey and look well coached most of the time. He has had some very good teams that just lacked a piece or two to be truly great teams. The teams in the early-mid '00s were exceptional, but IMO suffered from mediocre goaltending (a consistent problem on his teams IMO), as well as unfortunately running up against even more exceptional teams at Harvard & Cornell. Just because Yale & Allain put together an NC team & program, don't think its easy to be an Ivy and put together a full team that turns into a great one. Brown didn't exactly "take off" after Grillo took over.

    I also suspect there just is not much of an alumni/booster groundswell for a change at Dartmouth given the relative success (emphasis on relative). Despite the location and long history of hockey in Hanover it doesn't seem to be the "big sport" on campus or in the community, I suspect because the "golden days" of the 30s & 40s are so far in the past and 80s & 90s were so terrible. Maybe a coaching change would make all the difference, but could make things worse. The comparison to Harvard is a good one. Mazz took Harvard to 2 league titles and 3 NCAAa in 5 years, but the alumni didn't like his style and that he was not a Harvard man, so they replaced him with Donato (who had no coaching experience) and despite excellent recruiting has had several teams that underperformed.
    UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Irish View Post
    Larriecat, your post has me curious. I know Dartmouth has had some excellent players over many years so looking from the outside, what is the problem? Admissions? the NHL? Fan support?
    Gaudet.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •