Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 78

Thread: What teams will be strong in 2013-2014?

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    6

    What teams will be strong in 2013-2014?

    Anyone have early insights into teams that have strong cores returning and/or recruiting classes expected to make an impact next season?

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    47,988

    Re: What teams will be strong in 2013-2014?

    A buck says that somewhere on the first page we see the word "Gophers".

    In the ECAC, RPI isn't really losing too much. Sure, Bailen's graduated, but the rest of the team looks pretty solid, and we only graduated 5 players. I suspect that Dartmouth will also be a team to beat, as Walsh and Keenan are all they're really going to be missing. Yale and Union are probably the biggest question marks in my mind. Quinnipiac is going to be slightly rebuilding (although Jones-Jones-Peca is still intact, I don't know if they're going to have the same power as before).

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Edina, MN, USA
    Posts
    19,862

    Re: What teams will be strong in 2013-2014?

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    A buck says that somewhere on the first page we see the word "Gophers".

    In the ECAC, RPI isn't really losing too much. Sure, Bailen's graduated, but the rest of the team looks pretty solid, and we only graduated 5 players. I suspect that Dartmouth will also be a team to beat, as Walsh and Keenan are all they're really going to be missing. Yale and Union are probably the biggest question marks in my mind. Quinnipiac is going to be slightly rebuilding (although Jones-Jones-Peca is still intact, I don't know if they're going to have the same power as before).
    Talk about a sucker bet - you already said it!

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,557

    Re: What teams will be strong in 2013-2014?

    - Yale has a strong core back, especially on defense, and a very good recruiting class. Biggest question is in goal where they lose 2 seniors, but have a very good recruit from the USHL coming in (Alex Lyon). If goaltending comes together will be the team to beat in ECAC.
    - Quinnipiac loses 4 senior defenseman and an All-American goalie. They also lose some depth up front but have a terrific recruiting class coming in. Backup goalie Mike Garteig was very good in juniors and should fill the void in net. Will likely have more offense, but the blueline will be green.
    - Union is similar to Qpac, loses 3 D-men and starting goalie. Recruiting class looks good. Big question is if Colin Stevens can replace Troy Grosenick in goal.
    - RPI may have the most depth at all positions coming back and a couple good recruits.
    - Dartmouth & Colgate have a lot of depth coming back too.
    - Cornell way underperformed last season, has a very good nucleus returning and could be in line for a big bounce back season. Another potential surprise could be St. Lawrence who have 3 senior D-men and a good goalie returning, big question is if stud forward Greg Carey returns.
    UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    47,988

    Re: What teams will be strong in 2013-2014?

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK11 View Post
    - Yale has a strong core back, especially on defense, and a very good recruiting class. Biggest question is in goal where they lose 2 seniors, but have a very good recruit from the USHL coming in (Alex Lyon). If goaltending comes together will be the team to beat in ECAC.
    - Quinnipiac loses 4 senior defenseman and an All-American goalie. They also lose some depth up front but have a terrific recruiting class coming in. Backup goalie Mike Garteig was very good in juniors and should fill the void in net. Will likely have more offense, but the blueline will be green.
    - Union is similar to Qpac, loses 3 D-men and starting goalie. Recruiting class looks good. Big question is if Colin Stevens can replace Troy Grosenick in goal.
    - RPI may have the most depth at all positions coming back and a couple good recruits.
    - Dartmouth & Colgate have a lot of depth coming back too.
    - Cornell way underperformed last season, has a very good nucleus returning and could be in line for a big bounce back season. Another potential surprise could be St. Lawrence who have 3 senior D-men and a good goalie returning, big question is if stud forward Greg Carey returns.
    I see a big question mark with SLU not because of Carey, but because of Flanagan. As we both found out first hand, as much as those two players were good, they were good because of complementing play. Granted, I'm not going to look TOO far into it and write them off over the fact that they had a week to prepare.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,557

    Re: What teams will be strong in 2013-2014?

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    I see a big question mark with SLU not because of Carey, but because of Flanagan. As we both found out first hand, as much as those two players were good, they were good because of complementing play. Granted, I'm not going to look TOO far into it and write them off over the fact that they had a week to prepare.
    Oh, I don't disagree with this at all. They lost 2 of the best players in college hockey last season in Flanagan and Hughes, and everything will have to come together for SLU to improve on last season. Just saying that they do have quite a few of the pieces in place and a pretty good recruiting class, so they could make the jump.
    UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,717

    Re: What teams will be strong in 2013-2014?

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK11 View Post
    - Yale has a strong core back, especially on defense, and a very good recruiting class. Biggest question is in goal where they lose 2 seniors, but have a very good recruit from the USHL coming in (Alex Lyon). If goaltending comes together will be the team to beat in ECAC.
    - Quinnipiac loses 4 senior defenseman and an All-American goalie. They also lose some depth up front but have a terrific recruiting class coming in. Backup goalie Mike Garteig was very good in juniors and should fill the void in net. Will likely have more offense, but the blueline will be green.- Union is similar to Qpac, loses 3 D-men and starting goalie. Recruiting class looks good. Big question is if Colin Stevens can replace Troy Grosenick in goal.
    - RPI may have the most depth at all positions coming back and a couple good recruits.
    - Dartmouth & Colgate have a lot of depth coming back too.
    - Cornell way underperformed last season, has a very good nucleus returning and could be in line for a big bounce back season. Another potential surprise could be St. Lawrence who have 3 senior D-men and a good goalie returning, big question is if stud forward Greg Carey returns.
    They return Zach Tolkinen and Dan Federico as starters. Alex Barron played 28 games this past season but not in a starting role bumps up to the lineup. That gives them 3 veteran guys back there. Add in 6'6 230 Tom Hilbrich who didn't play a freshman in there along with USDT recruit Connor Clifton. They may not have the experience of this past year but they will still be pretty talented.

  8. #8
    Blackhawks!!!
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    BU Bandwagon, MA
    Posts
    8,043

    Re: What teams will be strong in 2013-2014?

    BC

    *Large Gaping Abyss*

    Everyone else.

    Next question.
    It Happened!!!!

  9. #9
    defkit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    North Shore, MA
    Posts
    3,220

    Re: What teams will be strong in 2013-2014?

    Yale, Quin, RPI....Geez, the ECAC finally wins another NCAA title, and it seems that's all anyone wants to talk about.
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    47,988

    Re: What teams will be strong in 2013-2014?

    Quote Originally Posted by defkit View Post
    Yale, Quin, RPI....Geez, the ECAC finally wins another NCAA title, and it seems that's all anyone wants to talk about.
    Be quicker to the keyboard. I'm not going to talk aboot the other leagues, since that's not my expertise. I just covered my bases for when JF strolls in here.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Detroit, MI USA
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: What teams will be strong in 2013-2014?

    I don't see any teams that are elite....

    Who looks the strongest on paper?

    Lowell, Miami, Wisconsin and Notre Dame

    Other NCAA candidates
    St. Cloud
    Mankato State
    BC
    UNH
    Providence
    Cornell
    Minnesota
    NoDak
    Michigan
    Niagara
    There should be lots of bubble teams too. Will be interesting to see how the PWR dynamic changes with the BIG, WCHA and NaCHO.

  12. #12
    Meehan Madness is Coming Back!!!!!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Gano Street, Providence
    Posts
    1,352

    Re: What teams will be strong in 2013-2014?

    Notre Dame, BC, Wisconsin are about five miles better than anyone heading into next season.

    After that, throw in Miami, PC, North Dakota and maybe Michigan if the young players respond. Brown is a tourney team next year.
    Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    47,988

    Re: What teams will be strong in 2013-2014?

    Quote Originally Posted by Onion Man View Post
    Notre Dame, BC, Wisconsin are about five miles better than anyone heading into next season.

    After that, throw in Miami, PC, North Dakota and maybe Michigan if the young players respond. Brown is a tourney team next year.
    I don't know if I'd go so far as to say tourney team. I'll give you that they aren't losing much, though.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,193

    Re: What teams will be strong in 2013-2014?

    BC returns a handful of very good players, including Gaudreau, Arnold and a couple 1st round NHL draft picks in Hayes and Matheson but they aren't returning a ton of top end talent like usual, thanks to some recent subpar recruiting classes. That said, they bring in 5 or 6 real stud recruits that should be able to contribute from the get go. I could see a slow start but they should be a formidable opponent come tourney time.
    Last edited by carltonbarrett; 05-01-2013 at 07:18 PM.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    3,412

    Re: What teams will be strong in 2013-2014?

    This will be an interesting season for Gopher hockey. They lost a lot of talent to the NHL (Bjugstad, Budish, Schmidt, Haula, and Alt), but are returning some key contributors who will be upperclassmen (Rau, Condon, Warning, Marshall) and are bringing in arguably one of the most talented draft classes in my lifetime. I think they will be inconsistent early, but should be an exciting team to watch. Just hoping they don't dig themselves too big of a hole early. If the young guys can come out flying, this team could be a contender. The difficult thing is the Big Ten will be playing their OOC games early, so a slow start could have a big effect on their Pairwise standing. They may need to lean on Wilcox early in the season.
    Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 05-01-2013 at 07:51 PM.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    47

    Re: What teams will be strong in 2013-2014?

    In the ECAC, Princeton returns 10 seniors, including their leading scorers, and return all defense. They were in it until the last few games. If they dont win this year, it could be a long few years.

  17. #17
    Shine on You Crazy Diamond
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    2,636

    Re: What teams will be strong in 2013-2014?

    Quote Originally Posted by brg View Post
    Anyone have early insights into teams that have strong cores returning and/or recruiting classes expected to make an impact next season?
    The Gophers...

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    47,988

    Re: What teams will be strong in 2013-2014?

    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    The Gophers...
    You owe me a buck.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    South Shore, MA
    Posts
    7,567

    Re: What teams will be strong in 2013-2014?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber View Post
    BC

    *Large Gaping Abyss*

    Everyone else.

    Next question.
    Of course a fan boy would want to deflect attention away from BU, their new coach, the studs on the ice and a renewed excitement around the program.

    Truth be told, anyone mentioning BC in this thread is relying heavily on the unproven talent of an incoming freshman class, goaltender included.

  20. #20
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    11,278

    Re: What teams will be strong in 2013-2014?

    Quote Originally Posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    Just hoping they don't dig themselves too big of a hole early.
    Been there, done that......Can't help myself......Your asking gophers not to dig too deep of a hole? I'll rent them a backhoe and pack the hole with the innards of fireworks if it will help any.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •