Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 440 of 1002

Thread: Just what IS "marriage" anyway?

  1. #421
    NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Mountain View, CA
    Posts
    19,680

    Re: Just what IS "marriage" anyway?

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Frenchy, you call me an ***hole right now!
    Aw, what is this? If there's one thing I hate, it's a whining platoon! "We don't wanna do pushups! We don't wanna get up early! We don't wanna have you take naked pictures of us!"

    Cornell '04, Stanford '06


    KDR

    Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Shirtless Bob That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

  2. #422
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    48,064

    Re: Just what IS "marriage" anyway?

    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Aw, what is this? If there's one thing I hate, it's a whining platoon! "We don't wanna do pushups! We don't wanna get up early! We don't wanna have you take naked pictures of us!"
    Thanks a lot, Tim Tim!

  3. #423
    NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Mountain View, CA
    Posts
    19,680

    Re: Just what IS "marriage" anyway?

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Thanks a lot, Tim Tim!
    FlagDUDE, I told you, put on the hat.

    Cornell '04, Stanford '06


    KDR

    Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Shirtless Bob That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

  4. #424
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    48,064

    Re: Just what IS "marriage" anyway?

    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    FlagDUDE, I told you, put on the hat.
    Sorry Frenchy, you know the rules... I'm afraid that you're out of scouts.

  5. #425
    The plural of anecdote is not data
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Coming soon to an exam room near you
    Posts
    1,081

    Re: Just what IS "marriage" anyway?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gray View Post
    The military is something mandated by and paid for by government. It's not a voluntary association like a church or the Boy Scouts. One is comparable to the Boy Scouts, the other isn't remotely.
    The churches problems are on an entirely different galaxy compared to the Boy Scouts.
    In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

  6. #426
    Veteran leswp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    31,045

    Re: Just what IS "marriage" anyway?

    Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    What the f did the government have to do with it???
    My immediate thought
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gray View Post
    If I have to explain it to you, you won't understand. Plus, I know from past conversations you know exactly what I mean. You're just trying to pick a fight. No thanks. Been there, done that around here. No point to doing it over again.

    I expect to see the Scouts decline from here on out. Just like the mainline denominational churches that went PC and endorsed the trendy social agendas of the day and they've been in decline every since. In the Scouts case, the math is even more compelling. 70 percent of Scout troops are sponsored by churches, with large chunks sponsored by folks like the Southern Baptists, Catholics, and Mormons. But, as is always the case in this sort of push of an agenda, the kids are the ones that will lose out.
    I haven't seen your explanation and I don't know what you mean. I am unclear why Scouts would decline. These boys and men are the same boys and men they were before except now, instead of either lying about who they are or not being involved they can be honest. The men who were good leaders and happen to be gay are not suddenly going to turn into bad leaders. If someone judges only by sexual orientation then it is not the leader that has the trouble, it is the person who is judging on the wrong 'merits.'

    Sexuality is not the most important part of most peoples' personality. When someone asks me to define myself I do not start out with my sexual preference or who I sleep with, I start out with a character trait. Others may start out with their profession. Do you look at a heterosexual and wonder who they sleep with or what they do in the bedroom as your first thought? Does who they sleep with negate all their other traits? I highly doubt it. Jesus associated with all the undesirables of his time- tax collectors, prostitutes, fallen women, lepers etc. When I see people judging those who they deem 'unfit' I wonder what Jesus would think about how we have forgotten what he has taught us.

  7. #427
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    30,993

    Re: Just what IS "marriage" anyway?

    Cripes, how many kids under the age of 14 identify themselves as "openly" anything? The worry over this decision is preposterous and should shame anyone that claims to be an adult that can't get past it. The lack of need to worry extends far beyond that simple statement, but jeebus really? Check your hand-wringing at the door and ****.

  8. #428
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Newburyport, MA
    Posts
    6,171

    Re: Just what IS "marriage" anyway?

    What is the average age of a Boy Scout? And at that age are most kids identifying their sexuality at all?

    It was a nice little step forward I guess, but seems bizairre that the scouts are still essentially sayin that a gay person can't be a good role model.

  9. #429
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    8,495

    Re: Just what IS "marriage" anyway?

    Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    My immediate thought
    I haven't seen your explanation and I don't know what you mean. I am unclear why Scouts would decline. These boys and men are the same boys and men they were before except now, instead of either lying about who they are or not being involved they can be honest. The men who were good leaders and happen to be gay are not suddenly going to turn into bad leaders. If someone judges only by sexual orientation then it is not the leader that has the trouble, it is the person who is judging on the wrong 'merits.'

    Sexuality is not the most important part of most peoples' personality. When someone asks me to define myself I do not start out with my sexual preference or who I sleep with, I start out with a character trait. Others may start out with their profession. Do you look at a heterosexual and wonder who they sleep with or what they do in the bedroom as your first thought? Does who they sleep with negate all their other traits? I highly doubt it. Jesus associated with all the undesirables of his time- tax collectors, prostitutes, fallen women, lepers etc. When I see people judging those who they deem 'unfit' I wonder what Jesus would think about how we have forgotten what he has taught us.
    I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

  10. #430
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    48,064

    Re: Just what IS "marriage" anyway?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Cripes, how many kids under the age of 14 identify themselves as "openly" anything? The worry over this decision is preposterous and should shame anyone that claims to be an adult that can't get past it. The lack of need to worry extends far beyond that simple statement, but jeebus really? Check your hand-wringing at the door and ****.
    They claim "openly" because parents are, in some cases, trying to force close-mindedness.

  11. #431
    War Mongering Conservadem!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    40,324

    Re: Just what IS "marriage" anyway?

    Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    My immediate thought
    I haven't seen your explanation and I don't know what you mean. I am unclear why Scouts would decline. These boys and men are the same boys and men they were before except now, instead of either lying about who they are or not being involved they can be honest. The men who were good leaders and happen to be gay are not suddenly going to turn into bad leaders. If someone judges only by sexual orientation then it is not the leader that has the trouble, it is the person who is judging on the wrong 'merits.'

    Sexuality is not the most important part of most peoples' personality. When someone asks me to define myself I do not start out with my sexual preference or who I sleep with, I start out with a character trait. Others may start out with their profession. Do you look at a heterosexual and wonder who they sleep with or what they do in the bedroom as your first thought? Does who they sleep with negate all their other traits? I highly doubt it. Jesus associated with all the undesirables of his time- tax collectors, prostitutes, fallen women, lepers etc. When I see people judging those who they deem 'unfit' I wonder what Jesus would think about how we have forgotten what he has taught us.
    Bob doesnt care what Jesus would actually think, he cares only about what the Bible said which is gays are bad! It also said we can stone our wives...hey maybe that is why divorce is so high WIVES SHOULD BE STONED MORE OFTEN!!!!

    Man...I wonder what America would be like if Bob had his way
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  12. #432
    Priceless
    Guest

    Re: Just what IS "marriage" anyway?

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    Bob doesnt care what Jesus would actually think, he cares only about what the Bible said which is gays are bad! It also said we can stone our wives...hey maybe that is why divorce is so high WIVES SHOULD BE STONED MORE OFTEN!!!!

    Man...I wonder what America would be like if Bob had his way
    Iran.

  13. #433
    Veteran leswp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    31,045

    Re: Just what IS "marriage" anyway?

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    Bob doesnt care what Jesus would actually think, he cares only about what the Bible said which is gays are bad! It also said we can stone our wives...hey maybe that is why divorce is so high WIVES SHOULD BE STONED MORE OFTEN!!!!

    Man...I wonder what America would be like if Bob had his way
    Kind of simplistic. I don't necessarily agree with Bob but I think it is a far reach to say he doesn't care what Jesus would think.

  14. #434

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    37,816

    Re: Just what IS "marriage" anyway?

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    Bob doesnt care what Jesus would actually think, he cares only about what the Bible said which is gays are bad! It also said we can stone our wives...hey maybe that is why divorce is so high WIVES SHOULD BE STONED MORE OFTEN!!!!
    They are in Colorado and Washington State.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

    ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

    Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

    I want to live forever. So far, so good.

  15. #435
    Priceless
    Guest

    Re: Just what IS "marriage" anyway?

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    They are in Colorado and Washington State.
    Every body must get stoned!

  16. #436
    War Mongering Conservadem!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    40,324

    Re: Just what IS "marriage" anyway?

    Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    Kind of simplistic. I don't necessarily agree with Bob but I think it is a far reach to say he doesn't care what Jesus would think.
    I have read enough of Bob over the years to form a different opinion. That is all I will say on that.

    Now back to getting stoned...
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  17. #437
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    8,495

    Re: Just what IS "marriage" anyway?

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    I have read enough of Bob over the years to form a different opinion. That is all I will say on that.

    Now back to getting stoned...
    They'll stone you just like they said they would . . .

  18. #438
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Indialantic, FL
    Posts
    8,158

    Re: Just what IS "marriage" anyway?

    A friend posted this bumper sticker: "The fact that you can't sell your daughter for 3 goats and a cow means that we have already redefined marriage."

    Nice.
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

  19. #439
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Back down in Uptown
    Posts
    13,472

    Re: Just what IS "marriage" anyway?

    Quote Originally Posted by LynahFan View Post
    A friend posted this bumper sticker: "The fact that you can't sell your daughter for 3 goats and a cow means that we have already redefined marriage."

    Nice.
    There were folks fighting to keep that practice too.
    Go Gophers!

  20. #440
    War Mongering Conservadem!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    40,324

    Re: Just what IS "marriage" anyway?

    Quote Originally Posted by LynahFan View Post
    A friend posted this bumper sticker: "The fact that you can't sell your daughter for 3 goats and a cow means that we have already redefined marriage."

    Nice.
    That is outstanding
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •