Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Outdoor College Hockey Games??

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2

    Outdoor College Hockey Games??

    The question was asked, "Should college continue outdoor game?" Absolutely yes! Should college hockey play an outdoor game on a Sunday at a neutral site ie Notre Dame/Miami, Minnesota/Wisconsin. heck no!

    Maybe it worked out commercially and the networks made their money but it no way should they have played those games at a neutral site. Look at the games that have worked out commercially and also packed in the fans. Michigan vs Wisconsin, the Michigan Michigan St games. Ridiculous crowds and great atmosphere.

    Future Outdoor Games that could do well in both categories

    UND @ Minnesota
    Wisconsin @ Minnesota
    Minnesota @ Wisconsin
    Michigan @ Notre Dame
    Michigan @ Penn State
    Michigan @ Michigan St. This should be an annual game.

    these games will bring in big money from crowds, tv, advertisements etc.

    The Hockey City classic at soldier field may have been a success commercially for the networks, advertisements etc but for the players the atmosphere matters. Yeah I am sure it was amazing playing an outdoor game at soldier field but it would've been that much better in front of 80,000+ fans at Camp Randall for the players and fans or 80,000+ at Notre Dame Stadium with Michigan in town not Miami of Ohio.

    Just my thoughts on if college hockey should continue outdoor games. They should but at venues that will draw the attendance and still please the investors.

  2. #2
    El Rey
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    near the ice
    Posts
    419

    Re: Outdoor College Hockey Games??

    Quote Originally Posted by mav0035 View Post
    The Hockey City classic at soldier field may have been a success commercially for the networks, advertisements etc but for the players the atmosphere matters. Yeah I am sure it was amazing playing an outdoor game at soldier field but it would've been that much better in front of 80,000+ fans at Camp Randall for the players and fans or 80,000+ at Notre Dame Stadium with Michigan in town not Miami of Ohio.
    When Michigan played Wisconsin at Camp Randell, the atendance was around 55,000. For Minnesota, it probably would have been more. Just sayin'.
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

    If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

    You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

  3. #3
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Newburyport, MA
    Posts
    6,495

    Re: Outdoor College Hockey Games??

    Meh... I went to the first Fenway games. The best part was the novelty. Personally I would hope BU does not do an outdoor game more than once every 4 years or so.

  4. #4
    Generic Catchy Message
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Willoughby, 1888
    Posts
    8,056

    Re: Outdoor College Hockey Games??

    I don't want MSU to do another one, especially with the current state of the program. Frankly I don't care if they ever have another outdoor game. To me, nothing has, nor do I think anything will, ever top the Cold War.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

    1966, 1986, 2007

    Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

  5. #5
    Shine on You Crazy Diamond
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    2,636

    Re: Outdoor College Hockey Games??

    As long as the Gophers don't play in another one I don't care.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    433

    Re: Outdoor College Hockey Games??

    Quote Originally Posted by mav0035 View Post
    Future Outdoor Games that could do well in both categories

    UND @ Minnesota
    Wisconsin @ Minnesota
    Minnesota @ Wisconsin
    Michigan @ Notre Dame
    Michigan @ Penn State
    Michigan @ Michigan St. This should be an annual game.

    these games will bring in big money from crowds, tv, advertisements etc.
    So basically, if your program is not in or closely associated with the Big 10, mav0035 doesn't want you to have an outdoor game. Dang.

  7. #7
    Love & Honor
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    2,151

    Re: Outdoor College Hockey Games??

    Quote Originally Posted by fellowes View Post
    So basically, if your program is not in or closely associated with the Big 10, mav0035 doesn't want you to have an outdoor game. Dang.
    Silence. When mav0035 speaks, we listen.

  8. #8
    Alien With an Attitude
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The True North Strong and Free
    Posts
    11,278

    Re: Outdoor College Hockey Games??

    Quote Originally Posted by fellowes View Post
    So basically, if your program is not in or closely associated with the Big 10, mav0035 doesn't want you to have an outdoor game. Dang.
    I'd pay for a ticket to see DU and CC at Mile High or CC and Air Force at Falcon Stadium.

    FWIW, Penn State acting AD Dave Joyner said at the team banquet last Saturday that there will be an outdoor game at Beaver Stadium sometime in the future. However, Bettman has said there's no plan for the NHL to hold the Winter Classic there.
    Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    3,412
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    As long as the Gophers don't play in another one I don't care.
    When Minnesota gets it's Winter Classic, I'd be ok with the Gophers playing an outdoor game in conjunction with it. You know the ice would be much better than it was at Soldier Field.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2

    Re: Outdoor College Hockey Games??

    I didnt mean for it to be just Big Ten teams or close ties to Big Ten. I was just rattling off a few games that could do well in both aspects.

    BC vs BU would obviously be a great match-up. What I was trying to say in my first post is I dont think Outdoor games should go away. I didnt like the fact it was at a neutral site and on a Sunday. If it was on a Saturday and at a home teams football field the attendance would have made the experience much better.

    Either way there should be one game a year outdoors. Great for the game and thats where we will started to skate, outdoors!!!!

    Maybe throw in a Anchorage/Fairbanks match up on the Kenai River!

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    95
    Maybe throw in a Anchorage/Fairbanks match up on the Kenai River![/QUOTE]

    At the mouth of it to, that way the Indians can come!

  12. #12
    Super Serial
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Back to Comm. Ave
    Posts
    3,226

    Re: Outdoor College Hockey Games??

    Quote Originally Posted by Thecalkid View Post
    Maybe throw in a Anchorage/Fairbanks match up on the Kenai River!
    At the mouth of it to, that way the Indians can come![/QUOTE]

    No, make them go away, or at least relegated to very, very infrequently. The novelty is gone, it's no longer special, the matchups are getting dull, the weather at many of these places is becoming unpredictable and hurting the integrity of the game played.
    \_(ツ)_/

  13. #13
    International Spy
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    3,480

    Re: Outdoor College Hockey Games??

    Quote Originally Posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    When Minnesota gets it's Winter Classic, I'd be ok with the Gophers playing an outdoor game in conjunction with it. You know the ice would be much better than it was at Soldier Field.
    Maybe but why would that matter since it didn't affect the outcome of the game?

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    3,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiggsy View Post
    Maybe but why would that matter since it didn't affect the outcome of the game?


    I don't like to use the quality of ice as an excuse because both teams had to play on the same ice and the Gophers certainly could have adapted better. But I think if you asked all four teams that played (winners and losers), they would say they would have liked a better quality ice surface. If for nothing else than less chance of a quirky injury occurring.

    The NHL is anal about the ice for the Winter Classics. I think piggy backing off a Classic in Minnesota would be the way to go if we host a game in Minnesota.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    788

    Re: Outdoor College Hockey Games??

    Quote Originally Posted by mav0035 View Post
    The question was asked, "Should college continue outdoor game?" Absolutely yes! Should college hockey play an outdoor game on a Sunday at a neutral site ie Notre Dame/Miami, Minnesota/Wisconsin. heck no!

    Maybe it worked out commercially and the networks made their money but it no way should they have played those games at a neutral site. Look at the games that have worked out commercially and also packed in the fans. Michigan vs Wisconsin, the Michigan Michigan St games. Ridiculous crowds and great atmosphere.

    Future Outdoor Games that could do well in both categories

    UND @ Minnesota
    Wisconsin @ Minnesota
    Minnesota @ Wisconsin
    Michigan @ Notre Dame
    Michigan @ Penn State
    Michigan @ Michigan St. This should be an annual game.

    these games will bring in big money from crowds, tv, advertisements etc.

    The Hockey City classic at soldier field may have been a success commercially for the networks, advertisements etc but for the players the atmosphere matters. Yeah I am sure it was amazing playing an outdoor game at soldier field but it would've been that much better in front of 80,000+ fans at Camp Randall for the players and fans or 80,000+ at Notre Dame Stadium with Michigan in town not Miami of Ohio.

    Just my thoughts on if college hockey should continue outdoor games. They should but at venues that will draw the attendance and still please the investors.
    I like the idea of one or two outdoor games a year rotating through the regions. I like the suggestions of CC/Denver and CC/AF, almost anybody at Notre Dame or Penn State, and games at places like Yankee Stadium, Fenway and Soldier Field. Games at Ford Field or the Carrier Dome might also be very good for the sport. These are big venues with a roof.

    Madison Square Garden has done great with Cornell vs BU and Michigan. I think outdoor games and games in unusual places now and then could do a lot to help the sport grow. I still think that the best thing for the image and reputation of the sport would be to have a Frozen Four in NYC. MSG doesn't seem to want it, so How about the Barclay Center in Brooklyn? The media attention that could be gained by having the Frozen Four on that big stage would be huge.

  16. #16
    Super Serial
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Back to Comm. Ave
    Posts
    3,226

    Re: Outdoor College Hockey Games??

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasma View Post
    How about the Barclay Center in Brooklyn? The media attention that could be gained by having the Frozen Four on that big stage would be huge.
    Barclays would be a disaster, it's not built for hockey, and when the Isles move in, it'll have a hockey capacity of something under 15K. The only other non-MSG option would be Prudential in Newark, but public transit to there, while it exists, isn't the best, and it's Newark, so no. For NYC the NCAA will want MSG or nothing, I wouldn't hold my breath to see it there anytime soon.
    \_(ツ)_/

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •