The thread for birds and birding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The thread for birds and birding

So here's a few photos that I took about an hour ago.

As I mentioned prior, we have hawks in our neighborhood here in southern Wisconsin. We see the remains of their kills from time to time on our lawn or deck and sometimes we even catch them feeding.

This hawk landed in the tree next to our deck while we were eating supper tonight. I could see that he had something and went to get my camera. When I got back out, he was on our neighbor's roof.

The racket that the song birds were making at him was crazy as the sought to drive him off. Eventually, he decided to head home with what looks like the hind leg of a rabbit...

*****http://i1112.***********.com/albums/k483/Gurth17/2.jpg******

*****http://i1112.***********.com/albums/k483/Gurth17/3.jpg******

*****http://i1112.***********.com/albums/k483/Gurth17/4.jpg******

*****http://i1112.***********.com/albums/k483/Gurth17/5.jpg******
    [quote]

Comment

Really nice pictures, Gurtholfin!
      "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

Originally posted by Carter View Post
        Really nice pictures, Gurtholfin!

Thanks.

Pretty cool to get to witness nature right from my deck. Just hope I never have to witness the actual kill.

Comment

Saw a heron in the "wild" yesterday. There is a nature preserve along the border between our town and the one to the east, and I stopped to hike along a path during lunch time yesterday. There is a pond in there with water lilies in bloom. I stepped out onto a rock to get a better look and a heron took flight.
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Click Amazing Bird Nests From Around the World to see some interesting and exotic bird nests.

This is from a Slate.com site called BEHOLD: The Photo Blog that I go to every now and then. Many eclectic posts from numerous photographers. Check it out.
            NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Good visitor to ManchVegas this week - a Calliope hummingbird. Normally resides on West Coast and Central America. Was nice enough to show up at a feeder about 5 mins from my house. First state record for NH and life bird for me (not that I think anyone really cares ).

Comment

Originally posted by CarlS View Post
                Good visitor to ManchVegas this week - a Calliope hummingbird. Normally resides on West Coast and Central America. Was nice enough to show up at a feeder about 5 mins from my house. First state record for NH and life bird for me (not that I think anyone really cares ).
                That's AWESOME.

Comment

I read about that. Congrats on the convenient lifer.

We had one here in PA about this time last year, but it was a female or young male. They're definitely being found here in the east more frequently.
                  Cornell '82

"The first time I went to a Cornell game, I was in awe. I'm a big believer that sports fans should get out and see everything -- the Indy 500, the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby. I've seen all that, and there's nothing like Lynah Rink." - Carl McKee, father of Cornell Goalie, David McKee

Comment

Good news about Kirtland's Warbler in Michigan. But future of protection still in doubt.

Click here.
                    NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

• Re: The thread for birds and birding

If you were ever looking for a Snowy Owl - this is the year/season. Yesterday in NH I know of 14 that were seen, there are numerous Snowys in ME, MA, VT, NY. Eighty Snowys in one 20km stretch outside of St. John's Newfoundland; one has been found in North Carolina and this morning there is a picture of a Snowy in Bermuda.

Comment

If you were ever looking for a Snowy Owl - this is the year/season. Yesterday in NH I know of 14 that were seen, there are numerous Snowys in ME, MA, VT, NY. Eighty Snowys in one 20km stretch outside of St. John's Newfoundland; one has been found in North Carolina and this morning there is a picture of a Snowy in Bermuda.
                        I'll add NJ, PA, and DE to that list of sightings. Supposedly one in Bethlehem, PA, about 10 miles from my house, but it was a one day wonder.
                        Cornell '82

"The first time I went to a Cornell game, I was in awe. I'm a big believer that sports fans should get out and see everything -- the Indy 500, the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby. I've seen all that, and there's nothing like Lynah Rink." - Carl McKee, father of Cornell Goalie, David McKee

Comment

Had the good fortune to get great looks at a Gyrfalcon in Hampton, NH the other day. Was very fortunate that it showed up about 5 minutes after I got there, swooped in low across the marsh infront of us and then perched in a nearby tree. First one I have seen in NH.

Comment

Moving to Idaho after the new year (Twin Falls area). Hoping to see lots of new stuff. I don't know if I will be able to set up bird feeders or not (still getting living arrangements finalized). There are apparently lots of fowl (pheasants, grouse etc) and raptors. Saw quite a few magpies as well. I will be excited to see what hummingbirds show up as well. Should at least see black-chinned.

Comment

saw half a dozen robins on Friday. First time we've seen any robins about since November.
                              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                                saw half a dozen robins on Friday. First time we've seen any robins about since November.
                                I've had a robin in the yard since mid February and we've been butt deep in snow. Never seen one here that early on. Looks like he/she has been eating well though. Nice round belly.
                                'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Working...
                                X