Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Big Ten- Adding affiliate members for hockey isn't off the table

Melvin K. Pearson

Big Ten- Adding affiliate members for hockey isn't off the table

With the recent whirlwind of news that the B1G is looking to form a B1G Lacrosse conference by adding powerhouse program and primarily D3 program Johns Hopkins, an article posted mentioned that the B1G is in fact not opposed to adding affiliate members in certain sports.

If this were to happen, I wouldn't be surprised to see the B1G go after miami or notre dame for hockey to bump the league to 8 members.

https://www.collegecrosse.com/2013/1/...-big-east-ecac
    2018 NCAA Northeast Regional Champions
    ---
    National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
    Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
    19 Conference Championships
    10 Conference Tournament Championships
    2 Hobey Baker Winners
    75 All-Americans

Wolverine Devotee of MGoBlog
    @UMichWD on Twitter

Follow me on Twitter: @Biddco Biddco's Avatar

Re: Big Ten- Adding affiliate members for hockey isn't off the table

I'm worried about what this means for UMD's lacrosse teams .

Drunkard

No, Delaney.

You've done enough.

It's my job to keep punk rock elite

Lacross can go catch on fire and die for all I care after what it did to that regional semifinal game I really wanted to watch between Nodak and UNH like 4 years ago.

Smile Re: Big Ten- Adding affiliate members for hockey isn't off the table

Quote Originally Posted by Biddco View Post
    I'm worried about what this means for UMD's lacrosse teams .
    It should've worried you more when Ciskie started announcing their games. You had to know that was the beginning of the end, this is merely another step towards that inevitable end.
    Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
    when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
    Hollywood Amazingness

Frankenstein's Monster

Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    No, Delaney.

You've done enough.
    Go Home Delaney!!! You're Drunk!!!
    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Quote Originally Posted by Pirateasaurus View Post
    Lacross can go catch on fire and die for all I care after what it did to that regional semifinal game I really wanted to watch between Nodak and UNH like 4 years ago.
    This x 1,000,000

Generic Catchy Message

"the conference's delay in forming a men's hockey league serving as a signpost for whether Jim Delany's Money Printing Concern would sponsor men's lacrosse."

What delay? Like waiting until there were enough members to form a conference? EDIT: Nevermind, I missed the whole point of that section. It's saying add affiliate members instead of waiting for full time members to get the minimum number.

First off, no affiliate members. The only affiliate member that should be allowed is Chicago, and since they don't have D1 sports that's a no-go.

Second, if they do go to affiliate members, no Notre Dame. They didn't want to be in the conference when we offered in 1999, and they don't want to be now. They've always wanted to be an east coast school, and now they have it with the ACC and Hockey East. They can stay there.
    Last edited by Spartanforlife4; 01-31-2013 at 02:10 PM.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Blood Boiling with Rage and Hate Almington's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    "the conference's delay in forming a men's hockey league serving as a signpost for whether Jim Delany's Money Printing Concern would sponsor men's lacrosse."

What delay? Like waiting until there were enough members to form a conference? EDIT: Nevermind, I missed the whole point of that section. It's saying add affiliate members instead of waiting for full time members to get the minimum number.

First off, no affiliate members. The only affiliate member that should be allowed is Chicago, and since they don't have D1 sports that's a no-go.

Second, if they do go to affiliate members, no Notre Dame. They didn't want to be in the conference when we offered in 1999, and they don't want to be now. They've always wanted to be an east coast school, and now they have it with the ACC and Hockey East. They can stay there.
    If they are going to offer affiliate memberships, it should ONLY be for schools playing up to the D1 level in one sport, have a national reputation, and who have a STELLAR academic reputation, all criteria which Johns Hopkins fits. I'd have no issue with adding JHU, I would with any of the hockey programs that have been mentioned.

Follow me on Twitter: @Biddco Biddco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
    It should've worried you more when Ciskie started announcing their games. You had to know that was the beginning of the end, this is merely another step towards that inevitable end.
    Crap...the dots are connected...

I'm more interested in what happens with women's hockey than this thread. Saw on the women's side the Michigan-Ann Arbor is going to add DI women's hockey. UMD, SCSU and UND are in a slightly awkward position that their women's teams remain in the WCHA.
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Banned

I'm more interested in what happens with women's hockey than this thread. Saw on the women's side the Michigan-Ann Arbor is going to add DI women's hockey. UMD, SCSU and UND are in a slightly awkward position that their women's teams remain in the WCHA.
    That would make five B1G. If State also adds, then you'll see a schism. Currently, three of the B1G play in the WCHA (Penn State is in the CHA). I wonder if, should there be a schism, we'd see the CHA split up, probably Lindenwood and Mercyhurst, MAYBE Robert Morris go to the WCHA, and then RIT and Syracuse maybe go to Hockey East?

Melvin K. Pearson

The B1G would probably go after the best option for an affiliate. The one with enough history & one with a huge dedicated fanbase. North Dakota would be the perfect affiliate addition. Michigan, minnesota, state & north dakota would be reunited in one conference for the first time since 1980-81.
    2018 NCAA Northeast Regional Champions
    ---
    National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
    Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
    19 Conference Championships
    10 Conference Tournament Championships
    2 Hobey Baker Winners
    75 All-Americans

Wolverine Devotee of MGoBlog
    @UMichWD on Twitter

Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
    The B1G would probably go after the best option for an affiliate. The one with enough history & one with a huge dedicated fanbase. North Dakota would be the perfect affiliate addition. Michigan, minnesota, state & north dakota would be reunited in one conference for the first time since 1980-81.
    This would bring LOLz..
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Smile Re: Big Ten- Adding affiliate members for hockey isn't off the table

Holy Moly would that be hilarious. WCHA fans would really have a hissy fit if UND were to become an affiliate member. It's not going to happen, but it would be hilarious.
    Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
    when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
    Hollywood Amazingness

Gurtholfin

Heck, let's take Denver too while we're at it.

Who wouldn't LOVE that conference!?!

Blood Boiling with Rage and Hate Almington's Avatar

Hockey isn't enough of a money making sport to justify associating UND with the Big Ten brand.

My opinion is: if I wouldn't want the school added as a full member, I don't want the school added as an affiliate.

With the recent whirlwind of news that the B1G is looking to form a B1G Lacrosse conference by adding powerhouse program and primarily D3 program Johns Hopkins, an article posted mentioned that the B1G is in fact not opposed to adding affiliate members in certain sports.

If this were to happen, I wouldn't be surprised to see the B1G go after miami or notre dame for hockey to bump the league to 8 members.

https://www.collegecrosse.com/2013/1/...-big-east-ecac
    Johns Hopkins doesn't need the Big 10 in lacrosse.
    Last edited by scoreboard; 01-31-2013 at 09:56 PM.

Generic Catchy Message

Where did you see UM was adding a women's team? I've tried searching but haven't found anything.

For lacrosse I wish MSU would add a team. We had one until we had to replace it with women's crew because of Title IX. We also had to drop fencing and men's gymnastics because of it. I guess State could add men's and women's but I haven't even heard rumors about it, nevertheless legitimate talk.

For hockey affiliates, it's a limited selection. Miami seems to be the only team that isn't ND that is D1 that has Big Ten level academics, if they even make academics part of the selection. BG is out of place in the WCHA as the only D1 school but probably looks at it as a chance to revive the hockey program, so they most likely want to stay there.
    Last edited by Spartanforlife4; 01-31-2013 at 10:45 PM.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Michigan Tech Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Almington View Post
    If they are going to offer affiliate memberships, it should ONLY be for schools [with] a national reputation, and who have a STELLAR academic reputation
    Yeah, but UW, Minnesota and Michigan are already in the BigTen so it's going to be hard to enforce those criteria when looking for new members. At least you didn't ask for high moral standards with Ohio State and State Penn in the conference as well. Honestly, I would love to see UND get asked to join just so DU would get the feeling of thinking you're leading something, only to turn around and see that no one is following you. Of course St Cloud would not get an invite right away and would issue a press release saying how the great the NCHC is and that they are a great fit. Of course this would be retracted shortly after when their invite to the Big Ten arrived the next day due to mis-directed mail.

Ryan J
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

Melvin K. Pearson
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    Where did you see UM was adding a women's team? I've tried searching but haven't found anything.

For lacrosse I wish MSUwould add a team. We had one until we had to replace it with women's crew because of Title IX. We also had to drop fencing and men's gymnastics because of it. I guess State could add men's and women's but I haven't even heard rumors about it, nevertheless legitimate talk.

For hockey affiliates, it's a limited selection. Miami seems to be the only team that isn't ND that is D1 that has Big Ten level academics, if they even make academics part of the selection. BG is out of place in the WCHA as the only D1 school but probably looks at it as a chance to revive the hockey program, so they most likely want to stay there.
    It's in the women's hockey forum. The info comes from me in those posts. As someone who donates annually to the club team, has numerous friends in the ADept and have spoke to AD Dave Brandon about adding women's hockey, I'd say it's legit. Unless I'm being told the same lie over and over.

I was told Michigan would take their club lacrosse teams (men's & women's) to D1 in 2009. They were officially announced in 2011. Women's hockey isn't expected to make the jump until 2015-16. 2017-18 would be the latest. They have to transition to varsity club status before they go to varsity. That's the launching pad for eventual varsity sports here.
    Last edited by MGoBlueHockey; 01-31-2013 at 11:20 PM.

Thread Information