Big Ten- Adding affiliate members for hockey isn't off the table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Ten- Adding affiliate members for hockey isn't off the table

With the recent whirlwind of news that the B1G is looking to form a B1G Lacrosse conference by adding powerhouse program and primarily D3 program Johns Hopkins, an article posted mentioned that the B1G is in fact not opposed to adding affiliate members in certain sports.

If this were to happen, I wouldn't be surprised to see the B1G go after miami or notre dame for hockey to bump the league to 8 members.

http://www.collegecrosse.com/2013/1/...-big-east-ecac
    ---
    National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
    Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
    19 Conference Championships
    10 Conference Tournament Championships
    2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Re: Big Ten- Adding affiliate members for hockey isn't off the table

I'm worried about what this means for UMD's lacrosse teams .
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

No, Delaney.

You've done enough.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Lacross can go catch on fire and die for all I care after what it did to that regional semifinal game I really wanted to watch between Nodak and UNH like 4 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
          I'm worried about what this means for UMD's lacrosse teams .
          It should've worried you more when Ciskie started announcing their games. You had to know that was the beginning of the end, this is merely another step towards that inevitable end.
          Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
          when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
          Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
            No, Delaney.

You've done enough.
            Go Home Delaney!!! You're Drunk!!!
            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaurus View Post
              Lacross can go catch on fire and die for all I care after what it did to that regional semifinal game I really wanted to watch between Nodak and UNH like 4 years ago.
              This x 1,000,000
              @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
              On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
              High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

"the conference's delay in forming a men's hockey league serving as a signpost for whether Jim Delany's Money Printing Concern would sponsor men's lacrosse."

What delay? Like waiting until there were enough members to form a conference? EDIT: Nevermind, I missed the whole point of that section. It's saying add affiliate members instead of waiting for full time members to get the minimum number.

First off, no affiliate members. The only affiliate member that should be allowed is Chicago, and since they don't have D1 sports that's a no-go.

Second, if they do go to affiliate members, no Notre Dame. They didn't want to be in the conference when we offered in 1999, and they don't want to be now. They've always wanted to be an east coast school, and now they have it with the ACC and Hockey East. They can stay there.
                Last edited by Spartanforlife4; 01-31-2013, 01:10 PM.
                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                  "the conference's delay in forming a men's hockey league serving as a signpost for whether Jim Delany's Money Printing Concern would sponsor men's lacrosse."

What delay? Like waiting until there were enough members to form a conference? EDIT: Nevermind, I missed the whole point of that section. It's saying add affiliate members instead of waiting for full time members to get the minimum number.

First off, no affiliate members. The only affiliate member that should be allowed is Chicago, and since they don't have D1 sports that's a no-go.

Second, if they do go to affiliate members, no Notre Dame. They didn't want to be in the conference when we offered in 1999, and they don't want to be now. They've always wanted to be an east coast school, and now they have it with the ACC and Hockey East. They can stay there.
                  If they are going to offer affiliate memberships, it should ONLY be for schools playing up to the D1 level in one sport, have a national reputation, and who have a STELLAR academic reputation, all criteria which Johns Hopkins fits. I'd have no issue with adding JHU, I would with any of the hockey programs that have been mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                    It should've worried you more when Ciskie started announcing their games. You had to know that was the beginning of the end, this is merely another step towards that inevitable end.
                    Crap...the dots are connected...

I'm more interested in what happens with women's hockey than this thread. Saw on the women's side the Michigan-Ann Arbor is going to add DI women's hockey. UMD, SCSU and UND are in a slightly awkward position that their women's teams remain in the WCHA.
                    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                      Crap...the dots are connected...

I'm more interested in what happens with women's hockey than this thread. Saw on the women's side the Michigan-Ann Arbor is going to add DI women's hockey. UMD, SCSU and UND are in a slightly awkward position that their women's teams remain in the WCHA.
                      That would make five B1G. If State also adds, then you'll see a schism. Currently, three of the B1G play in the WCHA (Penn State is in the CHA). I wonder if, should there be a schism, we'd see the CHA split up, probably Lindenwood and Mercyhurst, MAYBE Robert Morris go to the WCHA, and then RIT and Syracuse maybe go to Hockey East?

Comment

The B1G would probably go after the best option for an affiliate. The one with enough history & one with a huge dedicated fanbase. North Dakota would be the perfect affiliate addition. Michigan, minnesota, state & north dakota would be reunited in one conference for the first time since 1980-81.
                        ---
                        National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                        Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                        19 Conference Championships
                        10 Conference Tournament Championships
                        2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                          The B1G would probably go after the best option for an affiliate. The one with enough history & one with a huge dedicated fanbase. North Dakota would be the perfect affiliate addition. Michigan, minnesota, state & north dakota would be reunited in one conference for the first time since 1980-81.
                          This would bring LOLz..
                          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Holy Moly would that be hilarious. WCHA fans would really have a hissy fit if UND were to become an affiliate member. It's not going to happen, but it would be hilarious.
                            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Heck, let's take Denver too while we're at it.

Who wouldn't LOVE that conference!?!

Comment

Working...
                              X