Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 1001

Thread: North Dakota at Minnesota 1/18-1/19 - Just Ring The F*ing Bell You Pansy

  1. #21

    Re: North Dakota at Minnesota 1/18-1/19 - Just Ring The F*ing Bell You Pansy

    As for this series, it is definitely one of the top 3-4 series of the year for me. This year, these two squads are both loaded with talent and championship contenders. Home ice will be big for Minnesota, as North Dakota has struggled on the big ice sheet this season, losing to Alaska, SCSU, Notre Dame (200x90), and CC, going 3-4-0 on the road on the big ice. Conversely, the Gophers are 15-2-3 on the big ice (Vermont 200x90) and 11-1-1 at home. Minnesota also appears to be playing better hockey than North Dakota at the moment, especially after destroying Notre Dame and BC in the last couple weeks. North Dakota has struggled in their last 3 games, but did manage to win 2 of them. I would imagine a very physical series, yet clean series, as both teams are in the bottom half in penalty minutes, but have plenty of bruisers throughout each lineup.

    My breakdown:

    Offense: Push

    North Dakota has the better top end scoring, featuring Danny Kristo and Corban Knight, each of whom are in the top 3 nationally scoring. However, Minnesota has more depth, and can certainly match North Dakota's talent player for player and line for line. Minnesota currently has the top goals/game in college hockey at 3.82, but North Dakota is no slouch there either, putting up an average of 3.45 goals/game. In conference, North Dakota averages a league best 3.71 goals/game, while Minnesota notches a solid 3.36 goals/game against WCHA foes.

    Defense: Slight Edge Minnesota

    The Gophers have a very strong blue line, featuring a mix of 8 players that can start on any given day. Their depth and quality have paid dividends, as Minnesota has allowed only 1.82 goals/game. North Dakota has a strong group as well, featuring 7 players that can start on any given day. However, UND has allowed an average of 2.50 goals/game. Both teams are susceptible to getting caught up ice and making defensive miscues. In WCHA play, Minnesota allows only 2.42 goals/game, while North Dakota allows only 2.64 goals/game. Both teams have very strong blue lines, and both teams' blue lines are capable of lighting the lamp. Minnesota's 8 blue liners have combined for 59 points (10-49-59), while North Dakota's 7 blue liners have combined for 60 points (13-47-60). All together, it is a very close matchup, but I give the slight edge to Minnesota for their overall numbers.

    Goaltending: Slight Edge Minnesota

    Adam Wilcox has been phenomenal thus far this season. Overall, he leads the WCHA with a 1.65 GAA. However, he has been far more human in conference play, posting a 2.13 GAA. Meanwhile, Clarke Saunders has done a solid job in net for North Dakota, posting a 2.28 GAA overall and 2.69 GAA in conference games. It might seem that Minnesota has a clear edge here, but when comparing Save % numbers (arguably more indicative of how good a goalie is than GAA), Saunders has a .911 save % in WCHA play compared to Wilcox's .903. Overall, Wilcox has a .925 save % compared to Saunders .919. However, it can be argued that Saunders has faced more difficult competition than Wilcox (North Dakota has the 12th most difficult SOS compared to the Gophers 26th according to KRACH). Both goalies have been prone to the occasional softie, but at this point in the season, I feel that Wilcox has been just slightly more consistent in net than Saunders, thus the slight edge to the Gophers.

    Special Teams: Edge Minnesota

    The Gophers have the 2nd best Powerplay (25%) and 6th best PK (90.5%). North Dakota has the 13th best Powerplay (21.11%) and 37th ranked PK (81.7%). While UND's powerplay numbers have improved over the past two weekends, Minnesota has arguably the best special teams in all of college hockey. In this area, the Gophers have a decided advantage. The caveat here is that neither team takes all that many penalties. However, in what should be a tight game, special teams will likely make a big difference.

    Intangibles: Edge Minnesota

    As stated above, Minnesota dominates on the big ice, while North Dakota struggles. If this series were in Grand Forks as opposed to Mariucci, I would be inclined to say a big edge exists for North Dakota (the Gophers have only played 2 games on NHL ice going 1-1-0 against Michigan Tech). It will certainly be a big series for both teams, as each looks to gain ground on the other in the race for the MacNaughton, but it is difficult to come to any other conclusion than Minnesota has a big edge at home over North Dakota. Further, Minnesota has played very well of late (minus the game on Friday), and has beaten some very difficult competition in the last few weeks.

    Series Prediction:

    The games will be close. I certainly don't see either game getting out of control. Both teams are very talented, and if the series were played at the Ralph, I might be inclined to give North Dakota the edge. However, it is at Mariucci, and this just might be the Gophers year to win a whole lot of hardware. Minnesota sweeps 4-3, 5-3.
    Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 01-13-2013 at 11:43 AM.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

  2. #22
    Fighting Sioux Fan Forever
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Emerald City
    Posts
    10,332

    Re: North Dakota at Minnesota 1/18-1/19 - Just Ring The F*ing Bell You Pansy

    JFC, its January and Hak is still trying to figure out line combinations, what goalie to play, and moving defensemen to forward. I think getting out of town without any injuries is the best we can hope for. 8-0 Friday and 12-1 on Saturday for minny.
    Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

  3. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    211

    Re: North Dakota at Minnesota 1/18-1/19 - Just Ring The F*ing Bell You Pansy

    Gophers 14-0 Friday, 26-2 Saturday. The two goals are scored when Lucia decides not to risk injury, and sends out six ACTUAL gophers with little sticks taped to them.

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
    Gophers 14-0 Friday, 26-2 Saturday. The two goals are scored when Lucia decides not to risk injury, and sends out six ACTUAL gophers with little sticks taped to them.
    Just got a dirty look from some guy in Barnes and Noble for laughing loudly at this.

  5. #25
    Make the playoffs, not war.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Atop Mt. Crumpit with Max.
    Posts
    1,967
    tArrogance is swelling in here.

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    8,717

    Re: North Dakota at Minnesota 1/18-1/19 - Just Ring The F*ing Bell You Pansy

    Quote Originally Posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    As for this series, it is definitely one of the top 3-4 series of the year for me. This year, these two squads are both loaded with talent and championship contenders. Home ice will be big for Minnesota, as North Dakota has struggled on the big ice sheet this season, losing to Alaska, SCSU, Notre Dame (200x90), and CC, going 3-4-0 on the road on the big ice. Conversely, the Gophers are 15-2-3 on the big ice (Vermont 200x90) and 11-1-1 at home. Minnesota also appears to be playing better hockey than North Dakota at the moment, especially after destroying Notre Dame and BC in the last couple weeks. North Dakota has struggled in their last 3 games, but did manage to win 2 of them. I would imagine a very physical series, yet clean series, as both teams are in the bottom half in penalty minutes, but have plenty of bruisers throughout each lineup.

    My breakdown:

    Offense: Push

    North Dakota has the better top end scoring, featuring Danny Kristo and Corban Knight, each of whom are in the top 3 nationally scoring. However, Minnesota has more depth, and can certainly match North Dakota's talent player for player and line for line. Minnesota currently has the top goals/game in college hockey at 3.82, but North Dakota is no slouch there either, putting up an average of 3.45 goals/game. In conference, North Dakota averages a league best 3.71 goals/game, while Minnesota notches a solid 3.36 goals/game against WCHA foes.

    Defense: Slight Edge Minnesota

    The Gophers have a very strong blue line, featuring a mix of 8 players that can start on any given day. Their depth and quality have paid dividends, as Minnesota has allowed only 1.82 goals/game. North Dakota has a strong group as well, featuring 7 players that can start on any given day. However, UND has allowed an average of 2.50 goals/game. Both teams are susceptible to getting caught up ice and making defensive miscues. In WCHA play, Minnesota allows only 2.42 goals/game, while North Dakota allows only 2.64 goals/game. Both teams have very strong blue lines, and both teams' blue lines are capable of lighting the lamp. Minnesota's 8 blue liners have combined for 59 points (10-49-59), while North Dakota's 7 blue liners have combined for 60 points (13-47-60). All together, it is a very close matchup, but I give the slight edge to Minnesota for their overall numbers.

    Goaltending: Slight Edge Minnesota

    Adam Wilcox has been phenomenal thus far this season. Overall, he leads the WCHA with a 1.65 GAA. However, he has been far more human in conference play, posting a 2.13 GAA. Meanwhile, Clarke Saunders has done a solid job in net for North Dakota, posting a 2.28 GAA overall and 2.69 GAA in conference games. It might seem that Minnesota has a clear edge here, but when comparing Save % numbers (arguably more indicative of how good a goalie is than GAA), Saunders has a .911 save % in WCHA play compared to Wilcox's .903. Overall, Wilcox has a .925 save % compared to Saunders .919. However, it can be argued that Saunders has faced more difficult competition than Wilcox (North Dakota has the 12th most difficult SOS compared to the Gophers 26th according to KRACH). Both goalies have been prone to the occasional softie, but at this point in the season, I feel that Wilcox has been just slightly more consistent in net than Saunders, thus the slight edge to the Gophers.

    Special Teams: Edge Minnesota

    The Gophers have the 2nd best Powerplay (25%) and 6th best PK (90.5%). North Dakota has the 13th best Powerplay (21.11%) and 37th ranked PK (81.7%). While UND's powerplay numbers have improved over the past two weekends, Minnesota has arguably the best special teams in all of college hockey. In this area, the Gophers have a decided advantage. The caveat here is that neither team takes all that many penalties. However, in what should be a tight game, special teams will likely make a big difference.

    Intangibles: Edge Minnesota

    As stated above, Minnesota dominates on the big ice, while North Dakota struggles. If this series were in Grand Forks as opposed to Mariucci, I would be inclined to say a big edge exists for North Dakota (the Gophers have only played 2 games on NHL ice going 1-1-0 against Michigan Tech). It will certainly be a big series for both teams, as each looks to gain ground on the other in the race for the MacNaughton, but it is difficult to come to any other conclusion than Minnesota has a big edge at home over North Dakota. Further, Minnesota has played very well of late (minus the game on Friday), and has beaten some very difficult competition in the last few weeks.

    Series Prediction:

    The games will be close. I certainly don't see either game getting out of control. Both teams are very talented, and if the series were played at the Ralph, I might be inclined to give North Dakota the edge. However, it is at Mariucci, and this just might be the Gophers year to win a whole lot of hardware. Minnesota sweeps 4-3, 5-3.
    Tradition: Edge North Dakota

  7. #27

    Re: North Dakota at Minnesota 1/18-1/19 - Just Ring The F*ing Bell You Pansy

    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    Tradition: Edge North Dakota
    Oh boy...
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

  8. #28
    He fixes the cable?
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    22,925
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    Tradition of Goonery: Edge North Dakota
    Fyp.

    Check mark!

  9. #29
    Make the playoffs, not war.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Atop Mt. Crumpit with Max.
    Posts
    1,967
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    Tradition: Edge North Dakota
    I'm pretty sure JDUMBBS is suspended(self imposed or otherwise) and thank god after that comment, talk about pulling the derail switch on the tracks sheeeeesh!

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    8,717

    Re: North Dakota at Minnesota 1/18-1/19 - Just Ring The F*ing Bell You Pansy

    You call it goonery. We see guys who won't back down from a handshake.

  11. #31
    Gopher Hockey Driftryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    6,708

    Re: North Dakota at Minnesota 1/18-1/19 - Just Ring The F*ing Bell You Pansy

    I think whether or not Haula is healthy and in the lineup will be the determining factor in who brings home the most pts this weekend.


    Lucia wasn’t confident if Haula will be back in the lineup next weekend against North Dakota and the Finnish forward will likely test his injury in practice and may be a game-time decision.
    Last edited by Driftryder; 01-13-2013 at 01:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CavalryNate View Post
    Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    83

    Re: North Dakota at Minnesota 1/18-1/19 - Just Ring The F*ing Bell You Pansy

    [QUOTE=burd;5597488]You call it goonery. We see guys who won't back down from a handshake.[
    OK maybe if your goon wouldn't have pulled the smallest guy out, what a p#$
    Last edited by Gophernation; 01-13-2013 at 01:16 PM.

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hockeytown,USA
    Posts
    3,911

    Re: North Dakota at Minnesota 1/18-1/19 - Just Ring The F*ing Bell You Pansy

    [QUOTE=Gophernation;5597509]
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    You call it goonery. We see guys who won't back down from a handshake.[
    OK maybe if your goon wouldn't have pulled the smallest guy out, what a p#$. If he would have pulled out helgy, let's go.
    Yes Rau is.
    Fly Eagles Fly!!!

  14. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hockeytown,USA
    Posts
    3,911

    Re: North Dakota at Minnesota 1/18-1/19 - Just Ring The F*ing Bell You Pansy

    Quote Originally Posted by 80Miracle View Post
    If your the Gophers just get your spilt and avoid any major injuries. Both teams are going to the NCAA's. I hate watching North Dakota play hockey. Dirtiest team in college hockey every year and its not even close. North Dakota fans will say its "old time hockey", but anytime you punch or slash after the whistle it should be a penalty - Period

    PS: The Gophers should also be called for penalties if they chose to play that "after the whistle" North Dakota BS
    You said the same crap on another site and this series is the only time you go there too.
    Last edited by icehawk; 01-13-2013 at 07:00 PM.
    Fly Eagles Fly!!!

  15. #35

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,874

    Re: North Dakota at Minnesota 1/18-1/19 - Just Ring The F*ing Bell You Pansy

    Quote Originally Posted by state of hockey View Post
    Fyp.

    Check mark!
    do you need tissue also?

  16. #36

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,874

    Re: North Dakota at Minnesota 1/18-1/19 - Just Ring The F*ing Bell You Pansy

    [QUOTE=Gophernation;5597509]
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    You call it goonery. We see guys who won't back down from a handshake.[
    OK maybe if your goon wouldn't have pulled the smallest guy out, what a p#$
    you need a tissue...

  17. #37
    He fixes the cable?
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    22,925

    Re: North Dakota at Minnesota 1/18-1/19 - Just Ring The F*ing Bell You Pansy

    Quote Originally Posted by willythekid View Post
    do you need tissue also?
    Sure. My nose has been a bit runny lately. I think it just the rapid drop in temperature, as well as going in and out a lot over the last few days. Thanks for asking!
    the state of hockey is good

  18. #38

    Re: North Dakota at Minnesota 1/18-1/19 - Just Ring The F*ing Bell You Pansy

    Quote Originally Posted by state of hockey View Post
    Sure. My nose has been a bit runny lately. I think it just the rapid drop in temperature, as well as going in and out a lot over the last few days. Thanks for asking!
    North Dakota nice > Minnesota nice
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

  19. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    19,693

    Re: North Dakota at Minnesota 1/18-1/19 - Just Ring The F*ing Bell You Pansy

    Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
    Gophers 14-0 Friday, 26-2 Saturday. The two goals are scored when Lucia decides not to risk injury, and sends out six ACTUAL gophers with little sticks taped to them.
    GO DU !!!

  20. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Spicer, MN
    Posts
    17,563

    Re: North Dakota at Minnesota 1/18-1/19 - Just Ring The F*ing Bell You Pansy

    Take it to those stinkin' rodents. I am trying to make a trip to Minneapolis for Friday night.
    AF 99

    M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •