Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55

Thread: Wisconsin at Minnesota State 1/11 and 1/12

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Spicer, MN
    Posts
    17,458

    Wisconsin at Minnesota State 1/11 and 1/12

    Since the Mavericks swept the Badgers in Madison, both teams have gone 14-1-3. It'll be a different series.

    If the Mavericks want to really compete for a top 4 spot, three is necessary and four would be huge at home.

  2. #2
    Class of '05 errrr is that 06'???
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In a horrible place where everyone wears maroon
    Posts
    1,607

    Re: Wisconsin at Minnesota State 1/11 and 1/12

    It's possible... I haven't looked, are the students back?
    R.I.P. Anthony Ford...

    I officially hate Kevin Buisman

    We cannot recommend him however, as a fantasy pick, unless of course you are related to him. (Fri. Dec 22, 2006)
    FOX SPORTS On David Backes
    WHAT!!!???!!?!?!!??

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4,533

    Re: Wisconsin at Minnesota State 1/11 and 1/12

    This is a huge series from a Wisconsin perspective. Can't settle for anything less than a split. That said, it's going to be tough against a very good Minnesota State team that has been hot.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Belle Plaine by way of Mankato and Fairfax, MN
    Posts
    735

    Re: Wisconsin at Minnesota State 1/11 and 1/12

    Quote Originally Posted by bigclean View Post
    It's possible... I haven't looked, are the students back?
    I believe they start classes on Monday....ie they are getting back at the end of this week or during the weekend.
    Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Spicer, MN
    Posts
    17,458
    Quote Originally Posted by Bale View Post
    I believe they start classes on Monday....ie they are getting back at the end of this week or during the weekend.
    This is correct.

    It should be a very tight series. Looking forward to it.

  6. #6
    Watch out for the bull!
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    North Mankato, MN
    Posts
    3,265

    Re: Wisconsin at Minnesota State 1/11 and 1/12

    Yes, students should be getting back into town over the weekend and looking for things to do. Classes start on Monday.
    My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Spicer, MN
    Posts
    17,458

    Re: Wisconsin at Minnesota State 1/11 and 1/12

    It's almost gameday. I'm excited to get back into conference play!

  8. #8
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    10,483

    Re: Wisconsin at Minnesota State 1/11 and 1/12

    Quote Originally Posted by MavHockey14 View Post
    It's almost gameday. I'm excited to get back into conference play!
    Enjoy the Cardinal and White for the last time in your building, at least for the regular season. A split is realistic for UW, but they really need to keep stepping it up and sweep. Not looking stats or anything, but UW probably has an advanatge in goal/defense, allowing 1.25 goals a game over their lats 8 games.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Belle Plaine by way of Mankato and Fairfax, MN
    Posts
    735

    Re: Wisconsin at Minnesota State 1/11 and 1/12

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Enjoy the Cardinal and White for the last time in your building, at least for the regular season. A split is realistic for UW, but they really need to keep stepping it up and sweep. Not looking stats or anything, but UW probably has an advanatge in goal/defense, allowing 1.25 goals a game over their lats 8 games.
    MSU is at 1.5 GAA in the last 10 (since the WI series). 8 of those goals were in the Omaha series.

    Honestly (and this isn't meant as a dig towards WI), I don't think Wisconsin coming to Kato is that big of a loss from an anticipation/boost in attendance standpoint. From an excitement standpoint with fans, it's probably on the second tier of games with St. Cloud and Duluth behind MN and UND. I'm not saying that's my perspective, but the reality for the fan base in general.
    Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Spicer, MN
    Posts
    17,458
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Enjoy the Cardinal and White for the last time in your building, at least for the regular season. A split is realistic for UW, but they really need to keep stepping it up and sweep. Not looking stats or anything, but UW probably has an advanatge in goal/defense, allowing 1.25 goals a game over their lats 8 games.
    I doubt they have much of an advantage, if any defensively. Williams and this defense has been phenomenal.
    Last edited by MavHockey14; 01-10-2013 at 01:17 PM.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Edina, MN
    Posts
    2,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Enjoy the Cardinal and White for the last time in your building, at least for the regular season. A split is realistic for UW, but they really need to keep stepping it up and sweep. Not looking stats or anything, but UW probably has an advanatge in goal/defense, allowing 1.25 goals a game over their lats 8 games.
    When I was thinking about this series earlier this week, I was thinking Wisconsin is defense university but the Mavs have been playing some suffocating defense as of late and the offense for the Mavs is better than the badgers so I give the advantage to the Mavs. 6 goals to 4 for the weekend. That is my guess

  12. #12
    Watch out for the bull!
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    North Mankato, MN
    Posts
    3,265

    Re: Wisconsin at Minnesota State 1/11 and 1/12

    Quote Originally Posted by Bale View Post
    MSU is at 1.5 GAA in the last 10 (since the WI series). 8 of those goals were in the Omaha series.

    Honestly (and this isn't meant as a dig towards WI), I don't think Wisconsin coming to Kato is that big of a loss from an anticipation/boost in attendance standpoint. From an excitement standpoint with fans, it's probably on the second tier of games with St. Cloud and Duluth behind MN and UND. I'm not saying that's my perspective, but the reality for the fan base in general.
    I would agree. The really big crowds have always been for Gophers or Sioux. Bucky has always been mid-pack in that regard.

    Apparently, Alvarez has made it clear that the Badgers will never schedule Mankato again. Fine. Screw him.
    My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

  13. #13
    Registered College Hockey Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mosinee, WI
    Posts
    738

    Re: Wisconsin at Minnesota State 1/11 and 1/12


  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    66

    Re: Wisconsin at Minnesota State 1/11 and 1/12

    Alvarez won't schedule Badger vs Mavs because the Badgers are 6-11-3 all time in Mankato..

    Nelson is out this weekend and next.. How much impact will that play on the weekend. Nelson soaks up some decent playing time that will have to be replaced.

  15. #15
    Gurtholfin
    Guest

    Re: Wisconsin at Minnesota State 1/11 and 1/12

    Quote Originally Posted by MavsFan View Post

    Apparently, Alvarez has made it clear that the Badgers will never schedule Mankato again. Fine. Screw him.

    *******https://i820.***********.com/albums/zz128/Gurtholfin/USCHO/UncleBarry.jpg********

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4,533

    Re: Wisconsin at Minnesota State 1/11 and 1/12

    Quote Originally Posted by Shootin Muffins View Post
    Alvarez won't schedule Badger vs Mavs because the Badgers are 6-11-3 all time in Mankato..
    No, Wisconsin won't go to places like Mankato (most likely) because they're using their non-conference travel games as poker chips to reel in teams like Boston College, Boston University, Miami, Denver, and Colorado College. It's simple logic and economics.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Belle Plaine by way of Mankato and Fairfax, MN
    Posts
    735

    Re: Wisconsin at Minnesota State 1/11 and 1/12

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
    No, Wisconsin won't go to places like Mankato (most likely) because they're using their non-conference travel games as poker chips to reel in teams like Boston College, Boston University, Miami, Denver, and Colorado College. It's simple logic and economics.
    That's not really a big secret. Obviously a bit of sour grapes from the schools being ditched. The athletic department (with Barry as the face) has not been shy about making it readily apparent that they are worried about Wisconsin and Wisconsin only. My only question is whether Denver and CC are really that big of draws for Wisconsin. It seems to me that they aren't, but I also don't follow the attendance numbers of Wisconsin that closely.

    I know that there is this belief that the WI's and MN's of the world have the small schools under their thumb, but there is very little reason for schools like Mankato to schedule WI without a return trip. Hockey isn't like football or basketball where they are going to be willing to write a huge check for a small school to come in and not get a return trip. It's just easier for both schools to walk away from each other and not play anymore.
    Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

  18. #18
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    10,483

    Re: Wisconsin at Minnesota State 1/11 and 1/12

    Quote Originally Posted by Bale View Post
    MSU is at 1.5 GAA in the last 10 (since the WI series). 8 of those goals were in the Omaha series.
    Impressive, it looks like we've got a couple scintillating 2-1 hockey games ahead of us. Any live video feed available of the games?
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4,533

    Re: Wisconsin at Minnesota State 1/11 and 1/12

    Quote Originally Posted by Bale View Post
    That's not really a big secret. Obviously a bit of sour grapes from the schools being ditched. The athletic department (with Barry as the face) has not been shy about making it readily apparent that they are worried about Wisconsin and Wisconsin only. My only question is whether Denver and CC are really that big of draws for Wisconsin. It seems to me that they aren't, but I also don't follow the attendance numbers of Wisconsin that closely.

    I know that there is this belief that the WI's and MN's of the world have the small schools under their thumb, but there is very little reason for schools like Mankato to schedule WI without a return trip. Hockey isn't like football or basketball where they are going to be willing to write a huge check for a small school to come in and not get a return trip. It's just easier for both schools to walk away from each other and not play anymore.
    Wisconsin would rather continue playing long-time rivals in Denver and CC over Bemidji and Mankato. That shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

    Also, schools like Wisconsin, North Dakota, and Minnesota occasionally will pay schools for one way only trips.

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Belle Plaine by way of Mankato and Fairfax, MN
    Posts
    735

    Re: Wisconsin at Minnesota State 1/11 and 1/12

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
    Wisconsin would rather continue playing long-time rivals in Denver and CC over Bemidji and Mankato. That shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

    Also, schools like Wisconsin, North Dakota, and Minnesota occasionally will pay schools for one way only trips.
    That's fair. I guess I'm more surprised that Denver, CC, Miami, et al would be that beneficial to Wisconsin. That's not to say that Mankato or Bemidji would be by the way. I know they occasionally do, but they won't be able to fill their schedules by paying schools like they do now. With a 20-game conference schedule (obviously I'm speaking specifically abotu B10 teams), that's a lot of games to fill up the schedule. My point is that it's not going to be financially viable to pay to fill up that schedule. They are forced to make return trips more often than not. Again, it's not a surprise that they would want to fill their schedule with the BCs and the BUs of the world. Financially, it makes the most sense and all these changes are finanically based. That's not going to stop now. My point was just that it's just as likely that the Mankatos and the Bemidjis of the world are just as likely to walk away from the "no return trips" deals as Wisconsin or Minnesota. It's easier for both sides to just walk away from each other at this point.
    Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •