Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 182

Thread: Spartan Hockey - Silver Linings edition

  1. #1
    occupe toi de tes oignons owslachief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Lansing
    Posts
    7,219

    Spartan Hockey - Silver Linings edition

    OK so the results didn't paint a rosy picture over the weekend, but just to fill in the epic vacuum of space left by lack of MSUel fan activity here I'll do the "honors".

    Icky. Now, to be fair, that's a talented bunch up there, and there's a fair bit of turnover here in East Lansing. I will say I saw some pretty good shifts despite all that - it's just that there's so much speed MSU couldn't handle the result is predictable - 10 penalties, 31 penalty minutes and a bunch of minutes one-man-down. There were times on Friday I thought MSU could've got a couple more goals with their pressure but it turns out their goalie is good, too. Saturday, no real flow, just some frustration and half the team packing it in for the next week.

    On a positive note, there was a good 20 minutes put in by Fr. G Jake Hillebrand and he'll give us some needed relief / new looks this year should Yanekeff have some rough outings.

    Also there are some glimpses of talent from the likes of freshmen Keller, Ferrantino, Bondra and DeBlouw. I thought we had a talented freshmen class last year and as sophomores they will produce - but I'm really optimistic about this year's newcomers.

    This coming weekend things can settle down and the boys can work on some things - power play, communication on our own zone, burying chances, solidifying our lines and improving on defense - both D-men and forwards. I'd really like to see Rhett Holland in the lineup and how he can can provide sort of a change in culture back there.

    Let MSU get a win or two under it's belt and who knows, maybe we can roll into Ann Arbor with some confidence and make some noise

    Go Green!
    Last edited by owslachief; 10-15-2012 at 03:01 PM.

  2. #2
    Melvin K. Pearson
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    885

    Re: Spartan Hockey - Silver Linings edition

    Quote Originally Posted by owslachief View Post
    maybe we can roll into Ann Arbor with some confidence and make some noise
    Not happening. Really don't see it with that performance they had against minnesota.
    2018 NCAA Northeast Regional Champions
    ---
    National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
    Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
    19 Conference Championships
    10 Conference Tournament Championships
    2 Hobey Baker Winners
    75 All-Americans


    Wolverine Devotee of MGoBlog
    @UMichWD on Twitter

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Posts
    106

    Re: Spartan Hockey - Silver Linings edition

    Quote Originally Posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
    Not happening. Really don't see it with that performance they had against minnesota.
    Who's to say your beatdown won't be worse?
    Better dead than Red

  4. #4
    It's my job to keep punk rock elite
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    East Lansing
    Posts
    916

    Re: Spartan Hockey - Silver Linings edition

    Quote Originally Posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
    Not happening. Really don't see it with that performance they had against minnesota.
    If only you guys weren't Minnesota or maybe if we were in fact, RIT... Oh well, there's always next year.

    Also, you seem to spend A LOT of time concerned about MSU. You and the UMICH kid.

  5. #5
    It's my job to keep punk rock elite
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    East Lansing
    Posts
    916

    Re: Spartan Hockey - Silver Linings edition

    Anyways, I think we're better than that. Everybody probably thinks we're sub-bowling green level right now but I don't.

    I was surprised by Saturday's results seeing as how we seemed to get it under much better control after the first period of friday. Friday we managed to look pretty good at times and it was encouraging. Saturday was...a bummer. All of those penalties didn't help things, though.

    Also, I know he was put in some tough situations, but Yanakeff needs to make saves. 4 goals on 10 shots in the first period saturday and 3 on 13 friday will never cut it. Not nearly all of those goals were of the "nothing he could do about it" variety. We knew that it was going to be tough to win but when we're down by 3 before our new guys can even settle down, then things are gonna snowball.

    I actually do like our team. I think we will end up being pretty decent as long as the Defense can hold their own. I like our freshman.

    Also, something of interest is that Mackenzie MacEachern or h owever you spell it is currently the 3rd highest point scorer in the USHL. Hopefully canada doesn't lure him away.

  6. #6
    Grizzled Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    SE Mi, USA
    Posts
    6,654

    Re: Spartan Hockey - Silver Linings edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Pirateasaurus View Post

    Also, you seem to spend A LOT of time concerned about MSU. You and the UMICH kid.
    Funny, which is why you were woofing about RIT beating Michigan in their thread. It's how the green and white roll, though. Surprised some of your players didn't tweet about it.

  7. #7
    It's my job to keep punk rock elite
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    East Lansing
    Posts
    916

    Re: Spartan Hockey - Silver Linings edition

    Quote Originally Posted by streaker View Post
    Funny, which is why you were woofing about RIT beating Michigan in their thread. It's how the green and white roll, though. Surprised some of your players didn't tweet about it.
    I guess if you consider one congratulatory comment that includes the fact that I enjoy seeing you guys lose both "woofing" and "spending a lot of time concerned about UM", then alright. I'm not the one traipsing about your season and series threads.

  8. #8
    Melvin K. Pearson
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    885

    Re: Spartan Hockey - Silver Linings edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Pirateasaurus View Post
    If only you guys weren't Minnesota or maybe if we were in fact, RIT... Oh well, there's always next year.

    Also, you seem to spend A LOT of time concerned about MSU. You and the UMICH kid.
    Funny. You take pride in something another team did because your team can't do it. You call me concerned, and then you bring up RIT. Just like how it was in football in 2007. It's perfect for a meme. "Mocks Michigan for losing to app state; loses to Michigan"

    Also, did you happen to see what happened the next night against RIT? Same with western. Lost to St. Lawrence, beat them the next night. Michigan and western are the top two teams in the state of Michigan. If getting your jollies off to teams who are superior to yours losing the first game of a long season, then have at it.
    2018 NCAA Northeast Regional Champions
    ---
    National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
    Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
    19 Conference Championships
    10 Conference Tournament Championships
    2 Hobey Baker Winners
    75 All-Americans


    Wolverine Devotee of MGoBlog
    @UMichWD on Twitter

  9. #9
    Generic Catchy Message
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Willoughby, 1888
    Posts
    7,924

    Re: Spartan Hockey - Silver Linings edition

    I will sadly be missing the Niagara series. But it's for a good cause: I'll be in AA to cheer on the football team.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

    1966, 1986, 2007

    Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

  10. #10
    Very Un-Dude
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Hockey Mecca
    Posts
    26,839

    Re: Spartan Hockey - Silver Linings edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    I'll be in AA to cheer on the football team.
    The loss to Iowa was that bad?
    Oooohhhh, Ann Arbor.

    Posted this in the game thread but thought I'd throw it here to: Saw a few things from MSU that impressed me and one play in particular stood out to me: On Saturday one MSU forward (can't remember the number) dropped in front of a slapper from (I think) Alt with ~ 6 or 7 left in the game. He very easily could have bypassed blocking the shot but he didn't and the Spartan players on the bench all got up and slapped their sticks in appreciation. Gutsy kid.

    Good luck the rest of the way.
    Last edited by Greyeagle; 10-15-2012 at 09:38 PM.

    Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions


    And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
    And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
    Twenty red lights in his honor
    Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

  11. #11
    Grizzled Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    SE Mi, USA
    Posts
    6,654

    Re: Spartan Hockey - Silver Linings edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Pirateasaurus View Post
    I guess if you consider one congratulatory comment that includes the fact that I enjoy seeing you guys lose both "woofing" and "spending a lot of time concerned about UM", then alright. I'm not the one traipsing about your season and series threads.
    Thank you for using the word "traipsing". We'd call it lurking otherwise, which is acceptable in a Michigan opponent's thread? I never said you spent a lot of time, you just chose to toss in a dig- in which I replied that we'll see what happens in Minnesota. The scores said it all, I never brought it back up. Offering congratulatory comments is one thing, taking an opportunity is another. No different than your football team's scrubs woofing on twitter about the Bama score and Rose bowl talk and...then you guys laying three giant eggs at home. It's Sparty being Sparty.

  12. #12
    It's my job to keep punk rock elite
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    East Lansing
    Posts
    916

    Re: Spartan Hockey - Silver Linings edition

    Quote Originally Posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
    Funny. You take pride in something another team did because your team can't do it. You call me concerned, and then you bring up RIT. Just like how it was in football in 2007. It's perfect for a meme. "Mocks Michigan for losing to app state; loses to Michigan"
    I am pretty sure not a year has gone by that MSU hasn't beaten Michigan except for that 2008 season. In fact, I am pretty sure the records are pretty close to .500 the last 10 years or so.

    Nevertheless, I don't really give much of a **** to argue about such things you. You really hate MSU and that's fine. I don't really care and will pretty much just be discussing MSU or Niagara this week. Plus, you just seem like a pretty obnoxious person.

  13. #13
    It's my job to keep punk rock elite
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    East Lansing
    Posts
    916

    Re: Spartan Hockey - Silver Linings edition

    Quote Originally Posted by streaker View Post
    Thank you for using the word "traipsing". We'd call it lurking otherwise, which is acceptable in a Michigan opponent's thread? I never said you spent a lot of time, you just chose to toss in a dig-in which I replied that we'll see what happens in Minnesota. The scores said it all, I never brought it back up. Offering congratulatory comments is one thing, taking an opportunity is another. No different than your football team's scrubs woofing on twitter about the Bama score and Rose bowl talk and...then you guys laying three giant eggs at home. It's Sparty being Sparty.
    Right.

  14. #14
    It's my job to keep punk rock elite
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    East Lansing
    Posts
    916

    Re: Spartan Hockey - Silver Linings edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Greyeagle View Post
    The loss to Iowa was that bad?
    Oooohhhh, Ann Arbor.

    Posted this in the game thread but thought I'd throw it here to: Saw a few things from MSU that impressed me and one play in particular stood out to me: On Saturday one MSU forward (can't remember the number) dropped in front of a slapper from (I think) Alt with ~ 6 or 7 left in the game. He very easily could have bypassed blocking the shot but he didn't and the Spartan players on the bench all got up and slapped their sticks in appreciation. Gutsy kid.

    Good luck the rest of the way.
    I had switched to the Tigers game for much of that time so thanks for the observation. Back in my playing days, laying down and blocking a shot was one of the more satisfying things you could do. The team definitely does love it and it fires people up.

    Minnesota will be really, really tough this year. This upcoming weekend will tell us quite a bit more about MSU, but I think this past weekend had more to do with Minny being very good rather than MSU being bad. It might take a bit to get going with all of our freshman, but I think in the end, this will look like a powerful statement by a national title favorite.

  15. #15
    It's my job to keep punk rock elite
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    East Lansing
    Posts
    916

    Re: Spartan Hockey - Silver Linings edition

    Quote Originally Posted by owslachief View Post

    I'd really like to see Rhett Holland in the lineup and how he can can provide sort of a change in culture back there.

    Oh, i forgot to mention this. I thought he had a pretty rough game against Windsor. Seemed to have a tough time making decisions compared to the other defensemen. Probably why he was not in the lineup this weekend. He is a big, tough body though and if I would like to see him get another chance to make some plays in a game.

  16. #16
    El Rey
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    near the ice
    Posts
    419

    Re: Spartan Hockey - Silver Linings edition

    Looks like one of the former Spartans is out for the season.

    https://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...ee-injury.html

    As a Wolverine fan, I can't say I liked the kid, but you never want to see someone hurt.
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

    If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

    You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

  17. #17
    occupe toi de tes oignons owslachief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Lansing
    Posts
    7,219

    Re: Spartan Hockey - Silver Linings edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Pirateasaurus View Post
    Oh, i forgot to mention this. I thought he had a pretty rough game against Windsor. Seemed to have a tough time making decisions compared to the other defensemen. Probably why he was not in the lineup this weekend. He is a big, tough body though and if I would like to see him get another chance to make some plays in a game.
    Saw the same thing, which is why I wasn't shocked at all he didn't dress for UMTC. He didn't play a lot of minutes against Windsor, either. U never really know how they'll take to this level, regardless of the build-up given by their coach (or draft status). Let's hope it's an external distraction here that he can overcome, has a great practice week and conquers the learning curve.
    Last edited by owslachief; 10-16-2012 at 07:27 AM.

  18. #18
    occupe toi de tes oignons owslachief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Lansing
    Posts
    7,219

    Re: Spartan Hockey - Silver Linings edition

    Thanks. It's occurred to me there are a few Spartans (I never say former, with rare exceptions ), that we need to think about despite how one feels about what side (owners / players) you take. Can't be a fun Fall right now, especially with injury on top of it all.

  19. #19
    Melvin K. Pearson
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    885

    Re: Spartan Hockey - Silver Linings edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Pirateasaurus View Post
    I am pretty sure not a year has gone by that MSU hasn't beaten Michigan except for that 2008 season. In fact, I am pretty sure the records are pretty close to .500 the last 10 years or so.

    Nevertheless, I don't really give much of a **** to argue about such things you. You really hate MSU and that's fine. I don't really care and will pretty much just be discussing MSU or Niagara this week. Plus, you just seem like a pretty obnoxious person.
    Michigan beat them in 2007. Classic example of state fans having selective memory right there. You'll all be saying "it's time for basketball season" after Saturday when Michigan whips their ***.
    2018 NCAA Northeast Regional Champions
    ---
    National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
    Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
    19 Conference Championships
    10 Conference Tournament Championships
    2 Hobey Baker Winners
    75 All-Americans


    Wolverine Devotee of MGoBlog
    @UMichWD on Twitter

  20. #20
    occupe toi de tes oignons owslachief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Lansing
    Posts
    7,219

    Re: Spartan Hockey - Silver Linings edition

    Quote Originally Posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
    Michigan beat them in 2007.
    So? MSU beat and tied UM in the Fall of that year. What's your point?

    I love your inane drivel, kid. If our guys have a tough go of it this fall, at least I can look forward to your (albeit dopey) entertainment value. DON'T DISAPPOINT ME! If you ever drift toward Boring, I may have to put you on ignore.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •