ECAC West 2012-2013 Predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECAC West 2012-2013 Predictions

Hi guys! What are your predicted Standings for the ECAC West this year? Here are mine: 1. Utica. 2. Manhattanville. 3. Elmira. 4. Hobart. 5. Neumann. 6. Nazareth (I think they will win a couple of conference games this year). Also, does anyone know if the playoff seedings would change now that Nazareth has joined?

Originally posted by VCMCUC View Post
    Hi guys! What are your predicted Standings for the ECAC West this year? Here are mine: 1. Utica. 2. Manhattanville. 3. Elmira. 4. Hobart. 5. Neumann. 6. Nazareth (I think they will win a couple of conference games this year). Also, does anyone know if the playoff seedings would change now that Nazareth has joined?
    Sorry for the long paragraph. My phone can't format well for some reason.

Comment

Re: ECAC West 2012-2013 Predictions

I would think the playoff format would remain the same, number 4 and 5 play the "play-in" game, number 6 stays home.
      My predictions?
      1. Neumann,
      2. Elmira
      3. Hobart
      4. M'ville
      5.Utica
      6. Nazareth
      Elmira College (2006 ECAC-W Champions. 2006,2008 Final Four Semi-Finalist)
      Guelph Storm (2004 OHL Champions)
      Die Hard Leafs Fan (Still Waiting )

http://community.webshots.com/user/jpconnor55

Comment

I believe the format will remain as it has as well.

As far as my predictions go, here's what i have:

1.Utica-If any time is the time for Utica, It's now. The only significant losses the Pioneers took this offseason were All-American forward Tim Coffman, and Goaltender Evan Smith. They lost a few role players that were typically on the lineup bubble to begin with, but nothing substantial. The offseason pickups should more than cover for all of the losses, and then some.Transfer Louie Educate(27 Goals last year with Nichols) should help fill coffman's void, while incoming Goaltender Mike Taffe is going to make the battle for the starting job a very, very tough one on incumbent Nick Therrien. I would not be stunned if Taffe gets the nod. They also brought in a top-tier scoring Defenseman in Donald Oliveri, who had one of the harder shots the NAHL has seen. If he lives up to the hype, and Mike Baird can step into the Quarterbacking role he was supposedly brought in to play, The Power Play could finally light up the scoreboard in a way it never has.

2.Hobart- I like this hobart team to contend. With the exception of Greg Ciciola, they return everyone that put significant points on the board, as well as all of their young defensive group led by rising senior Brad Richard. They have a 2 headed monster between the pipes in Broadwater and Ausserhoffer, and they tend to pick one another up when one is in a slump. Tommasso Traversa is only going to get better up front, assuming he packs on some weight to better weather the physical rigors of this league, and to be honest, i think a guy like Bobby Hannah could come out of nowhere to supplement this scoring attack. Mac Olson was a very nice incoming pickup... don't let his 18 CCHL points fool you. He did that in 23 games after seeing some time in both the NAHL and the USHL.

3.Manhattanville-Manhattanville could finish very high in this league.... With one Caveat: the goaltending needs to play better than advertised. Brian Fleming will have to prove his legitimacy as a starter after posting some head scratching relief numbers last year. Kurt Williams could be the guy, but that remains to be seen. This team has some serious firepower up front, and they'll be a lot of fun to watch.

4.Neumann-I'm putting this Neumann team a very cautious 4th. This team lost quite a few of it's key pieces, including Defenseman William Lacasse, Forwards Marlon Gardner and Cory Park, and the Top Two goaltenders, Tendler and Mackinnon. I hope Dominick Dawes has some goaltender coming in that i don't know about, because i don't see one listed. If they can't scrounge up something decent, this could be a tough year for Neumann. I like some of the returning pieces, particularly Jordan Zalba and Mike Rey, as well as Steve and Dave Gervais, but having graduated a big chunk of the scoring and not really getting anything glowingly impressive in the offseason, Neumann likely will not win this league.

5.Elmira- 5 of their top 6 scorers have graduated. Darren Mcdonald simply has to play better than he did last year, or Matt Milne needs to fill his shoes. I like McDonald to rebound this season(Or at least put up better numbers), And although i think the freshman class that Elmira has is very, very talented, the inexperience is going to be an issue. They will play much like Utica did 2 years ago, a nice overall record but the top half of this league could give them plenty of problems and keep them close to the bottom of the standings.

6.Nazareth- A First year program. With the class Roll has coming in, i think they could win a game or two, but they won't put a huge dent in the standings. I expect inconsistency to be their achilles heel, but they will have a lot to look forward to as this group ages and hopefully Roll can supplement it with better underclass talent next year.
        Our bite is worse than our bark....
        Top guys, out.

Comment

Originally posted by vcxc3200 View Post

1.Utica-If any time is the time for Utica, It's now. The only significant losses the Pioneers took this offseason were All-American forward Tim Coffman, and Goaltender Evan Smith. They lost a few role players that were typically on the lineup bubble to begin with, but nothing substantial. The offseason pickups should more than cover for all of the losses, and then some.Transfer Louie Educate(27 Goals last year with Nichols) should help fill coffman's void, while incoming Goaltender Mike Taffe is going to make the battle for the starting job a very, very tough one on incumbent Nick Therrien. I would not be stunned if Taffe gets the nod. They also brought in a top-tier scoring Defenseman in Donald Oliveri, who had one of the harder shots the NAHL has seen. If he lives up to the hype, and Mike Baird can step into the Quarterbacking role he was supposedly brought in to play, The Power Play could finally light up the scoreboard in a way it never has.

2.Hobart- I like this hobart team to contend. With the exception of Greg Ciciola, they return everyone that put significant points on the board, as well as all of their young defensive group led by rising senior Brad Richard. They have a 2 headed monster between the pipes in Broadwater and Ausserhoffer, and they tend to pick one another up when one is in a slump. Tommasso Traversa is only going to get better up front, assuming he packs on some weight to better weather the physical rigors of this league, and to be honest, i think a guy like Bobby Hannah could come out of nowhere to supplement this scoring attack. Mac Olson was a very nice incoming pickup... don't let his 18 CCHL points fool you. He did that in 23 games after seeing some time in both the NAHL and the USHL.

3.Manhattanville-Manhattanville could finish very high in this league.... With one Caveat: the goaltending needs to play better than advertised. Brian Fleming will have to prove his legitimacy as a starter after posting some head scratching relief numbers last year. Kurt Williams could be the guy, but that remains to be seen. This team has some serious firepower up front, and they'll be a lot of fun to watch.

4.Neumann-I'm putting this Neumann team a very cautious 4th. This team lost quite a few of it's key pieces, including Defenseman William Lacasse, Forwards Marlon Gardner and Cory Park, and the Top Two goaltenders, Tendler and Mackinnon. I hope Dominick Dawes has some goaltender coming in that i don't know about, because i don't see one listed. If they can't scrounge up something decent, this could be a tough year for Neumann. I like some of the returning pieces, particularly Jordan Zalba and Mike Rey, as well as Steve and Dave Gervais, but having graduated a big chunk of the scoring and not really getting anything glowingly impressive in the offseason, Neumann likely will not win this league.

5.Elmira- 5 of their top 6 scorers have graduated. Darren Mcdonald simply has to play better than he did last year, or Matt Milne needs to fill his shoes. I like McDonald to rebound this season(Or at least put up better numbers), And although i think the freshman class that Elmira has is very, very talented, the inexperience is going to be an issue. They will play much like Utica did 2 years ago, a nice overall record but the top half of this league could give them plenty of problems and keep them close to the bottom of the standings.

6.Nazareth- A First year program. With the class Roll has coming in, i think they could win a game or two, but they won't put a huge dent in the standings. I expect inconsistency to be their achilles heel, but they will have a lot to look forward to as this group ages and hopefully Roll can supplement it with better underclass talent next year.
          Why would they leave one team out of the playoffs, when it makes for a nice balanced bracket to have all 6 teams in the playoffs. If there were 7 teams, I could see cutting out the last place team, but the other ECAC DIII leagues let all of the teams play. Why not give the third place team one more home game - with the five team format they are guaranteed not to get a home game at all unless they beat #2 and #1 happens to lose to the play-in winner. Set it up the SUNYAC does it. If they ever get the magic 7th team, then they might think about leaving somebody out. Just an observation...
          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

1- Hobart - Had the strongest finish in the W last season and was probably the league's best chance to make some noise in the NCAAs had they been selected. Plus, they play in a cold, old school rink. I like that.
            2- Utica - On paper they would seem to be the strongest coming in. Another schedule that does not test them OOC, specifically on the road. In NCAAs you would have to be ready to face a strong OOC opponent away from your barn. Always a chance they'll be in first at the break, then finish 5th.
            3- Elmira - These guys always do pretty well in league play.
            4- Neumann - Have some holes to fill, but usually seem to be in the mix at the end.
            5- Manhattanville - I don't know, seems like this program has had a weird off season vibe this year.
            6- Narareth - Go get 'em. I think this program will be competitive before too long.

Comment

EcacWest 2012-13 Predicion.

1. Neumann
              2.Nazareth
              3.Utica
              4.Elmira
              5.Hobart
              6.Manhattanville

The 4,5 and 6 spots are really a toss up. Actually, the entire division is more of a toss up than a puzzle on Wheel of Fortune.
              Utica College Hockey. Best fan base in D-III. Fear the Moose.
              Utica College 2004-2005 EcacWest Regular Season Champions
              Utica College 2012-2013 EcacWest Regular Season Champions
              2012-2013 ECAC West PICK'EM CHAMPION
              2012-2013 SUNYAC 1st runner up to the Pick'EM CHAMPION

Comment

I'll drop by the hockey office tomorrow and get some clarification on what will happen with conference playoffs. Stay Tuned! (Suspenseful music)
                Top guys, out.

Comment

Originally posted by VCMCUC View Post
                  Also, does anyone know if the playoff seedings would change now that Nazareth has joined?
                  My money's on the standard 6 team playoff:
                  Wed: 6@3; 5@4; byes-1&2
                  Sat: lowest seed winner@1; other winner@2
                  Wk from Sat: 2 winners play@highest seed

Comment

One thing I love about the ECAC-W is that the predictions are always all over the place because of the competition. There generally is never a clear cut team to win it.
                    Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
                    2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

Originally posted by Ozz View Post
                      One thing I love about the ECAC-W is that the predictions are always all over the place because of the competition. There generally is never a clear cut team to win it.
                      And even when there is, they usually get upset in the tournament. It seems like every year the #1 seeded ECAC West team doesn't end up winning the title. Elmira has had this issue recently, Utica had it one year and Manhattanville had it for a years as well.
                      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by vcxc3200 View Post

Goalie Alex Scola has transfered to Manhattanville this year, giving Flemming some competition for the number one spot. They also have two D1 transfer dmen who can hopefully bring some bang to the dline...and they have just about all their big dogs returning on offense, and with a new head coach i think there is a new found excitment going into the season

Comment

Originally posted by northwoodhockey17 View Post
                          Goalie Alex Scola has transfered to Manhattanville this year, giving Flemming some competition for the number one spot. They also have two D1 transfer dmen who can hopefully bring some bang to the dline...and they have just about all their big dogs returning on offense, and with a new head coach i think there is a new found excitment going into the season
                          I didn't hear about those 3. if the goaltender plays up to par, or fleming improves drastically, M'ville is a firm #3 pick on my rankings.
                          Top guys, out.

Comment

Originally posted by northwoodhockey17 View Post
                            My 1 and 2 are interchangeable depending on factors and what might happen during the year but for right now Hobart is #1. 3,4,5 are easily interchangeable in my opinion as everything stands right now.

For now I would say simply of what I think:
                            1. Hobart-Best finish in the league by far 6-3-1 in conference play and playoffs to end the year. Though replacing ciciola will be tough, freshmen coming in could offset and defense and goalies among top in the league.
                            2. Utica-Despite losing Coffman, have great depth returning and could actually finish #1 as they have had been tough on Hobart the past two years. But everyone else they always have trouble with but overall a very strong team that is quite similar to Hobart.
                            3. Neumann-Lost goalies, will be tough to replace them but they are more than that as evidenced by playoff games against Utica and Elmira though they ultimately lost to Hobart. Returning most of their D.
                            4. Elmira-A lot of key pieces lost but still a solid team and will be there especially with MacDonald coming back but could be a very challenging year for them
                            5. Manhattanville-Have no idea what they are doing. Perplexing team, 2 new coaches in 2 years (though part of M-ville program) and not a fan of Marshall and last year they had no defense and whos replacing Lemieux? Fleming who played in 3 games or Scola who put so-so numbers up for Umass-Boston.
                            6. Nazareth-First year team. Going to be tough to win but they wont be a LVC.
                            Last edited by Hockeyfan2113; 09-07-2012, 04:11 PM.

Comment

I'll make a bold prediction and say Elmira finishes no worse than 2nd in the ECAC West standings.
                              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                              Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                              X