Thread: The official your school got caught with its fingers in the cookie jar thread

The official your school got caught with its fingers in the cookie jar thread

Latest:
    Manhattanville: https://ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/publ...+aid+packaging

Punishment is consistent.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: The official your school got caught with its fingers in the cookie jar thread

I'm surprised all of these schools that have been caught with illegal FA packages (M-ville, Neumann, Buff St, Genny etc.) do not have to vacate their wins, League and National Championships. Any thoughts?

Do You Believe in Miracles? YES!!!

Re: The official your school got caught with its fingers in the cookie jar thread

Quote Originally Posted by Diiihockeyfan View Post
    I'm surprised all of these schools that have been caught with illegal FA packages (M-ville, Neumann, Buff St, Genny etc.) do not have to vacate their wins, League and National Championships. Any thoughts?
    If you are looking for consistency and fairness in the way the NCAA handles anything, you must be new to college athletics....
    Steve
    Penn State Class of '95
    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Hockey Knight in Boston

Quote Originally Posted by spwood View Post
    If you are looking for consistency and fairness in the way the NCAA handles anything, you must be new to college athletics....
    Which of the schools busted for illegal international grants packages have had their wins vacated? Seems pretty consistent to me.
    #OneKnight

Who's next on the NCAA hit list? Possibly Oswego.....just heard their AD is resigning VERY soon. Will the financial aid cheaters like Norwich, RIT and Adrian be next? Kinda wondering how Castleton State has risen so quickly.

Colorado Cadets Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
    Who's next on the NCAA hit list? Possibly Oswego.....just heard their AD is resigning VERY soon. Will the financial aid cheaters like Norwich, RIT and Adrian be next? Kinda wondering how Castleton State has risen so quickly.
    Don't know where you get the idea that Norwich cheats - there is a lot of attention paid to to NCAA rules in financial aid. I served a couple of terms as a faculty representative on the student financial aid committee. As for Castleton, they did get their hands slapped pretty hard over violations in football. Their coach was forced to resign over it a couple of years ago.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
    Oswego had an International Student Aid package (since dropped). They still have a not a NY resident student aid package that is a pretty good deal. If the NCAA slaps them down, it's going to be for the same reasons as every other SUNYAC school.

All other schools are now requiring the NCAA to release their tax returns before they release their aid package data.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

When there is a drop in the international student population, but not the international students who play sports, it is very hard (impossible) to meet the ncaa criteria. Oswego no longer allows athletes to participate in the International aid program because ncaa compliance can not be assured given the recent trends in international student enrollment. As far as Tim retiring, that has been the talk the past several years, but with the recent retirement of the guy he reported to for his entire run as AD, this could it...
    LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Quote Originally Posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
    Which of the schools busted for illegal international grants packages have had their wins vacated? Seems pretty consistent to me.
    None, but I'm surprised seeing as the NCAA is saying they (all schools hit with infractions) had an unfair advantage over a period of time in the past. I don't see why all of these teams don't have to vacate their wins while they had players who were recruited using unfair practices. Would seem like a pretty fair punishment for all of those programs. My thought has nothing to do with staying consistant. Just think the NCAA missed the boat.

Vacating wins means nothing, it's after the fact. You can't take away memories, championships or shared experiences. So what the record books might say otherwise, who cares. The NCAA and their bloated rule book are what's at fault. Find one successful program in DI hockey, football, basketball or whatever sport that isn't walking the fine NCAA line. DIII is nothing compared to DI. Find something else to cry about everytime a team gets their hand slapped.

Lt. J. Isaac Powers, Starfleet

Quote Originally Posted by Diiihockeyfan View Post
    None, but I'm surprised seeing as the NCAA is saying they (all schools hit with infractions) had an unfair advantage over a period of time in the past. I don't see why all of these teams don't have to vacate their wins while they had players who were recruited using unfair practices. Would seem like a pretty fair punishment for all of those programs. My thought has nothing to do with staying consistant. Just think the NCAA missed the boat.
    They don't have to vacate wins because the infractions were seen as minor... bookkeeping infractions moreso than egregious violations of the spirit of D-III athletics.

Powers &8^]

Member of the REAL Zoo Crew

Quote Originally Posted by neumanniaknights09 View Post
    Vacating wins means nothing, it's after the fact. You can't take away memories, championships or shared experiences. So what the record books might say otherwise, who cares. The NCAA and their bloated rule book are what's at fault. Find one successful program in DI hockey, football, basketball or whatever sport that isn't walking the fine NCAA line. DIII is nothing compared to DI. Find something else to cry about everytime a team gets their hand slapped.
    This coming from a fan of team whos FA packages were going to 99% athletes....right......You have no sympathy from a Plattsburgh State fan, None. I DO however agree with the "walking the fine NCAA line" but there is walking and totally ignoring it. When 98-99% of your FA packages are going to athletes, thats NOT walking the line sorry.

What I don't get is the fact M'ville wasn't about a porportion so much like the others (50% athletes, 50% non-athletes) they were giving MORE $$$$ to athletes. That's even worse in my book. Teams that play the border game of 49% non-athletes and 51% athletes and get caught should NOT be held to the same standard as a team that is giving 99% athletes or $5,000 more to athletes on average then non-athletes. BIG difference.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Oswego had an International Student Aid package (since dropped). They still have a not a NY resident student aid package that is a pretty good deal. If the NCAA slaps them down, it's going to be for the same reasons as every other SUNYAC school.

All other schools are now requiring the NCAA to release their tax returns before they release their aid package data.
    Just to clarify - Oswego did NOT drop their $48,000 International Student Undergraduate Scholarship, they merely changed it so that intercollegiate athletes are excluded.
    Last edited by norm1909; 08-11-2012 at 10:56 AM.
    Larry Normandin
    SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
    WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Colorado Cadets Fan

Quote Originally Posted by norm1909 View Post
    Just to clarify - Oswego did NOT drop their $48,000 International Student Undergraduate Scholarship, they merely changed it so that intercollegiate athletes are excluded.
    Wouldn't that mean that athletes are out of line by receiving less financial support than non-atheletes (a reverse violation of proportionality as it were)
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by NUProf View Post
    Wouldn't that mean that athletes are out of line by receiving less financial support than non-atheletes (a reverse violation of proportionality as it were)
    The club hockey team is going to be dynamite!!

If they want to stay at Oz, keep the aid and play hockey, Joe would be correct... (btw, the club team already is dynamite).
    LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Dynamite - A tick who measures torque
    Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Quote Originally Posted by norm1909 View Post
    Dynamite - A tick who measures torque
    Smallest weight lifting class allowed by the IOC.

And I think what you're thinking of Norm is dynomite
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

smallest weight lifting class allowed by the ioc.

And i think what you're thinking of norm is dynomite
    lol
    Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

dont do the crime if ya cant do the time...simple but it says it.......I guess a lot of these schools like cookies..........drop that puck either way

Thread Information