Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tennis...Anyone?

Funny story on how rising star Madison Keys got her start in tennis:

Keys grew up in Rock Island, Ill., a manufacturing town on the Mississippi. Nice place. But it's never mistaken for a tennis hotbed. Wait, Keys' parents must have played tennis, right? "Neither one can play," she said, smiling, as if envisioning her folks whiffing. "No one in my family plays tennis."

So how did she gravitate to the sport? As a small girl, she saw a tennis dress she really liked.

"My parents told me that if I played, they would buy me [a dress],'" Keys said. "I was like, 'Hey, I'll try it.' "
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

French Open:

Nadal vs Djokovic in the semi-finals. Should be a great one.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...is-must-see-tv

Winner will meet Ferrer or the Frenchman Tsonga in the final.

I suspect NBC will cover the Nadal / Djokovic match from 11am to conclusion on Friday.
      NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
        French Open:

I suspect NBC will cover the Nadal / Djokovic match from 11am to conclusion on Friday.
        most likely will. Tsonga has gotten a lot better and being a local he will be a handful if he gets thru.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

French Open:

Nope. The match will air live at 7AM Eastern on the Tennis Channel. NBC will show the Tsonga-Ferrer match.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            Nope. The match will air live at 7AM Eastern on the Tennis Channel. NBC will show the Tsonga-Ferrer match.
            What a drag! Don't get the Tennis Channel.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

What a drag! Don't get the Tennis Channel.
              That's part of the point. Call your cable provider and get it.

Comment

If FS23 were a tennis fan, I'd love to see him set up a series of GOAT tournament. Take, say, each in their prime, Chris Evert, Martina Navritalova, Steffi Graf, Monica Seles, Serena Williams, Venus Williams (two more to make it 8) and have them play a series of tournaments on grass, clay, and hard courts. The biggest problem would be how to equalize for different equipment: would you have to run two tournaments on each surface, one with wood rackets and one with composite?

Last I checked, Serena was up 6 - 0, 3 - 1 in her semi-final. in the time it took me to log in and set up this post, Serena closed out the match, 6-0, 6-1. 40 winners in 48 minutes.

The series of men's GOAT tournaments would be even more interesting. Would you see Sampras vs Federer at Wimbledon, Borg vs Nadal at the French, Djokovich vs Connors or McEnroe at the US Open? Laver vs Pancho Gonzalez at the Australian Open?
                Last edited by FreshFish; 06-06-2013, 12:26 PM.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

Last I checked, Serena was up 6 - 0, 3 - 1 in her semi-final.
                  6-0, 6-1 final. 48 minutes! Serena did the post-game interview in French.
                  Go Serena.
                  Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

French Open Semi-Final:

Nadal v Djokovic

Not watching this because I can't but,

Nadal took the first set 6 - 4, tied at 3 - 3 in the second.

Comment

About an hour later...

Nadal v Djokovic

Nadal up two sets to one: 6 - 4, 3 - 6, 6 - 1

0 - 1 Djokovic in the 4th.

Comment

5th set. Awesome match.
                        It Happened!!!!

Comment

last night, I was thinking, "I wonder what the over/under line is for the duration of the match? If it is 4 hours 30 minutes, I'll take the over."

Tied at 5-5 in the fifth set.

Comment

8 - 7 Nadal in the 5th.

Comment

Nadal wins 6 - 4, 3 - 6, 6 - 1, 6 - 7, 9 - 7

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                                If FS23 were a tennis fan, I'd love to see him set up a series of GOAT tournament. Take, say, each in their prime, Chris Evert, Martina Navritalova, Steffi Graf, Monica Seles, Serena Williams, Venus Williams (two more to make it 8) and have them play a series of tournaments on grass, clay, and hard courts. The biggest problem would be how to equalize for different equipment: would you have to run two tournaments on each surface, one with wood rackets and one with composite?

Last I checked, Serena was up 6 - 0, 3 - 1 in her semi-final. in the time it took me to log in and set up this post, Serena closed out the match, 6-0, 6-1. 40 winners in 48 minutes.

The series of men's GOAT tournaments would be even more interesting. Would you see Sampras vs Federer at Wimbledon, Borg vs Nadal at the French, Djokovich vs Connors or McEnroe at the US Open? Laver vs Pancho Gonzalez at the Australian Open?
                                While not a diehard tennis fan, I do tend to follow the sport during the majors (albeit far less than I used to). A GOAT tournament (wonderful acronym btw) could be done with a modified version of my formula. However, I simply do not have the time to get all the data together. That being said, it would be interesting to see matchups like William Renshaw square off against Roger Federer or Pete Sampras at Wimbledon.
                                North Dakota
                                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X