Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Tennis...Anyone?

Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    I don’t like the way she throws fits, and I also get her frustration at being treated different. The constant drug testing that others aren’t getting, etc. but I’ve never liked her temper.
    I saw a post that shows the stark differences between how men and women are viewed. One NY paper called her a total meltdown and the same paper called a male baseball manager as “discussing” a call with an ump even though he was identical to her in stance, pose, and rage.
    For the record I don’t like the grunters, screamers to whiners. Tired of Rafa and his slower than molasses pace and his “I’m behind so I quit” act. Maybe that’s why I love Roger so much.

Edit- Ramos, the ump, was the same one Rafa blew up at last year and Rafa told himbed never ump his match ever again. Funny how he didn’t blow up at Rafa like he did Serena.
    Watched the video. Now, I am not well versed in Tennis, but the coaching call seemed really ticky-tacky. The racket smash? Sure. The “verbal abuse”? LOL, as a soccer referee I’d kill to receive “verbal abuse” like that. I can absolutely see Serena’s point about sexism because even I’ve seen worse go unpunished on the Men’s side.

If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar

Re: Tennis...Anyone?

Joker in straight sets over Del Potro.
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

I like this curious feeling

Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Watched the video. Now, I am not well versed in Tennis, but the coaching call seemed really ticky-tacky. The racket smash? Sure. The “verbal abuse”? LOL, as a soccer referee I’d kill to receive “verbal abuse” like that. I can absolutely see Serena’s point about sexism because even I’ve seen worse go unpunished on the Men’s side.
    Her coach was interviewed between match and trophy presentation. He freely admitted he was coaching her at the time. He basically said "I do it on every play, so does every one else"
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Groucho Marx
    "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
    Ron White
    "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
    Milo Bloom

Kicizapi Cetan

I'd have been more sympathetic to Serena's argument until her coach admitted he was coaching from the stands.

https://www.google.com/search?q=coac...hrome&ie=UTF-8

PS - Dumbest rule in tennis. So what if the coach communicates from the stands. You still must hit the ball.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Just a boring user.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    It’s incredibly arrogant for her to think she can do whatever she wants and then blame it on sexism. I read today the same umpire coded Djoker earlier this year for a tantrum and has a reputation as a no nonsense guy. I don’t think you can do anything worse than call into question a referees integrity too. In a US Open final when everyone is watching there is a better chance for things being called tighter as well.
    It's incredibly hypocritical to see that Serena's actions were very much not as bad as men who have berated umpires and have used far, far worse language, none of which lost a game.

Many men have questioned ref's integrity, too. They didn't loose anything.

THAT is the issue.

The coaching thing is stupid- they all admit to coaching, and it's a dumb rule. Insane to penalize the player for their coach's actions. Fine the coach.

If it is a common practice that is seldom penalized, the (Association?) should warn the players before a major tournament if they intend to enforce the rule.

The Dark One
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom

Quote Originally Posted by MissThundercat View Post
    Joker in straight sets over Del Potro.
    So Joker's chasing Nadal who's chasing Federer. Its astounding that the 3 winningest men's grand slam players of all time all play against each other in the same era. Would love to see Joker vs Nadal in the French next year.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    If it is a common practice that is seldom penalized, the (Association?) should warn the players before a major tournament if they intend to enforce the rule.
    How is it any different than getting a speeding ticket? If you speed you run the risk of a ticket and saying people do it all the time isn’t really a defense. I think in a grand slam final things are more tightly enforced too.

The vast majority of tennis doesn’t really get much attention, that is why in a random tournament players can get away with berating the umpire.

How is it any different than getting a speeding ticket? If you speed you run the risk of a ticket and saying people do it all the time isn’t really a defense.
    That is not at all the point I made. I'm not making a selective enforcement argument. Just that if the officials are going to enforce a rule that is regularly violated without penalty and they want to start enforcing, the Association or the umpires association should communicate that. It's just wise policy and good business.

Just a boring user.

How is it any different than getting a speeding ticket? If you speed you run the risk of a ticket and saying people do it all the time isn’t really a defense. I think in a grand slam final things are more tightly enforced too.

The vast majority of tennis doesn’t really get much attention, that is why in a random tournament players can get away with berating the umpire.
    Why should a grand slam be any different than any other event? If it's a rule, it's a rule.

If the rule is unenforced for 99% of a tournament, and then all of a sudden, it's important- that's a problem. Rules are rules and should be enforced, sure, but they also need to be even and consistent to mean anything- otherwise, they are arbitrary ways to put yourself in a match that you are overseeing.

Same goes for the berating the umpire- the reactions should be consistent and even- regardless. If it's not- and "you are a thief" is somehow worse than "you are an (expletive)" that's a big problem, worse if that enforcement is biased to who someone is.

Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    Why should a grand slam be any different than any other event? If it's a rule, it's a rule.

If the rule is unenforced for 99% of a tournament, and then all of a sudden, it's important- that's a problem. Rules are rules and should be enforced, sure, but they also need to be even and consistent to mean anything- otherwise, they are arbitrary ways to put yourself in a match that you are overseeing.

Same goes for the berating the umpire- the reactions should be consistent and even- regardless. If it's not- and "you are a thief" is somehow worse than "you are an (expletive)" that's a big problem, worse if that enforcement is biased to who someone is.
    The sums up the US in 2018: it’s someone else’s fault. She broke the rules and should take responsibility for it. Honestly, she knew after two code violations the next one was a game, why risk it? Especially after what happened with the lineswoman 10 years ago or so. What she did was no different than when Chris Webber called the timeout at the end of the national championship game.

The sums up the US in 2018: it’s someone else’s fault. She broke the rules and should take responsibility for it. Honestly, she knew after two code violations the next one was a game, why risk it? Especially after what happened with the lineswoman 10 years ago or so. What she did was no different than when Chris Webber called the timeout at the end of the national championship game.
    That comparison is just plain weird.

Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    That comparison is just plain weird.
    Zadane at the end of the 2006 WC grand final?

Depends: Were head butts like that generally overlooked and not penalized?

Just a boring user.

Your take on my comments are interesting.

SHE didn't break the rules, her coach did, and she got penalized. Just to be clear there.

The only time she actually deserved a penalty was when she broke her racket (which I think is an odd rule- why are you not allowed to break your racket if you are angry? They have a limited number they are allowed to use- so if they break a good one, they lose out).

BTW, Chris Weber NEVER said that it was an unfair call that was never made in any other game, so I will also post that it's a pretty stupid comparison.

And you continue to miss the concept about consistent rule application- where the men can be far more abusive and not get penalized. Or that coaching rules need to be enforced for ALL players from round 1 to the end- or it's pointless. It's so lax that ALL coaches ignore it.

All you look at is her blaming someone else. So very typical of you. Which is the real factor here- most of the time, people have a genuine beef when they protest. You should bother to see that someday.

Unobtanium Medallion FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

The coaching call was definitely questionable at best. I kinda felt it was the racket smash that really did it. If you go back and look at McEnroe's biggest tantrum at Stockholm in 1984, where he basically used his racket as a club, IIRC that's the first time he ever got a game penalty.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    The coaching call was definitely questionable at best. I kinda felt it was the racket smash that really did it. If you go back and look at McEnroe's biggest tantrum at Stockholm in 1984, where he basically used his racket as a club, IIRC that's the first time he ever got a game penalty.
    The racquet one is fine. It's the other 2 calls that are questionable at best.

Minding the gap MinnesotaNorthStar's Avatar

Here is another perspective on it that a friend of mine who is a huge tennis (and Serena) fan, posted on FB. She also umpires some local matches in the Twin Cities.

Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
    Here is another perspective on it that a friend of mine who is a huge tennis (and Serena) fan, posted on FB. She also umpires some local matches in the Twin Cities.
    From the article:
    In August 2016 at the Olympics, Ramos called Andy Murray for a code violation for saying “stupid umpiring.”
    LOL! What an arrogant wimp. Officials from practically any other sport (except maybe Rugby) would laugh at him for penalizing something like that.

Minding the gap MinnesotaNorthStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    From the article:

LOL! What an arrogant wimp. Officials from practically any other sport (except maybe Rugby) would laugh at him for penalizing something like that.
    Yeah, I laughed at that one too...

Even Joe West wouldn't toss you for that...

Matt Frattin for Hobey!!
    Originally posted by Quizmire
    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
    I am a fan of MNS.

Thread Information