Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Tennis...Anyone?

Lucia Apologist

Re: Tennis...Anyone?

As good as Federer Roddick from a few years back? Still in my mind the best tennis match of the last 20-30 years. First thing I thought of when I heard five hours.

Iím not a big Nadal fan, so after Roger drops I honestly lost a lot of interest. Didnít end up seeing this match.

Capt

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    As good as Federer Roddick from a few years back? Still in my mind the best tennis match of the last 20-30 years. First thing I thought of when I heard five hours.

Iím not a big Nadal fan, so after Roger drops I honestly lost a lot of interest. Didnít end up seeing this match.
    It may well have been as good, if not it wasn't far behind. Just some incredible smash mouth, hard hitting, super athletic tennis.

I'm admittedly not a hardcore tennis fan, regardless of who is involved. But last night was a special one, glad I stayed awake for it.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Agassi-Baghdatis in 2006 is up there as well as the Agassi-Sampras quarter around 2000. The Federer-Safin 2005 Aussie Open semi is another contender.

Shopping for a defenseman to replace Lidstrom

Serena gives up a break right off the bat to open her semi.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

...and we're back on serve at 2-2. Serena still does not look sharp, although she might be starting to dial it in.

God, that was fun...

After being down 0-2 to start the semi, Serena takes 12 of the next 13, and we're done here in straight sets.

God, that was fun...

If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar

Osaka beats Serena for the title; Serena got into an argument with the chair ump.
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    ďDon't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.Ē
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Quote Originally Posted by MissThundercat View Post
    Osaka beats Serena for the title; Serena got into an argument with the chair ump.
    I havenít seen the whole incident. My understanding is that she was receiving coaching and her coach admitted as much. The ref penalized her for that and she should have moved on. Her behavior is completely out of line. It happened before the social media era, but about 10 years ago Serena threatened a lineswoman after she called a foot fault. Sheís an all time great talent wise and itís too bad she hasnít kept her composure better in those situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    I havenít seen the whole incident. My understanding is that she was receiving coaching and her coach admitted as much. The ref penalized her for that and she should have moved on. Her behavior is completely out of line. It happened before the social media era, but about 10 years ago Serena threatened a lineswoman after she called a foot fault. Sheís an all time great talent wise and itís too bad she hasnít kept her composure better in those situations.
    From I read up on, because I didn't know what the "coaching rule" was, the coaching rule was a bad call. It happens a lot, and it's a coin flip whether the ump calls it or not. That being said, that first call started the chain of the other 2 penalties, both of which were warranted. However, if that first call was never made....

The "you're a thief" was the key to that call. If she had said "That was a horrible call" instead of basically saying "YOU made a horrible call," chances are the ump lets that go. I have spoken with many a ref, up to the collegiate level, and it's a universal opinion that once a player specifies the ref his/herself...a call will be made.

The racket-smash was an obvious call that had to be made.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Sounds like Serena showed class in the awards presentation, though, when the crowd booed Osaka. Didn't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    From I read up on, because I didn't know what the "coaching rule" was, the coaching rule was a bad call. It happens a lot, and it's a coin flip whether the ump calls it or not. That being said, that first call started the chain of the other 2 penalties, both of which were warranted. However, if that first call was never made....

The "you're a thief" was the key to that call. If she had said "That was a horrible call" instead of basically saying "YOU made a horrible call," chances are the ump lets that go. I have spoken with many a ref, up to the collegiate level, and it's a universal opinion that once a player specifies the ref his/herself...a call will be made.

The racket-smash was an obvious call that had to be made.
    Itís something that doesnít get called a lot, but that doesnít mean it was a bad one. Once the call was made she should have moved on. Arguing isnít going to make the situation any better.

Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    Sounds like Serena showed class in the awards presentation, though, when the crowd booed Osaka. Didn't see it.
    The crowd booed Osaka? Christ. I love that she won

Generic Catchy Message
    Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    The crowd booed Osaka? Christ. I love that she won
    They were still booing the chair ump. Serena told everyone to stop booing because Osaka deserved to have her moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    They were still booing the chair ump. Serena told everyone to stop booing because Osaka deserved to have her moment.
    That. And that is what is NOT being focused on. Serena was not a sore loser, she gave credit to Osaka. It was only the ump that was the issue.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    That make more sense than what I understood. Still good what Serena did.

there's a good buck in that racket.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    mac was loved for behaving that way..... just sayin'
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    mac was loved for behaving that way..... just sayin'
    You cannot be serious.

I donít like the way she throws fits, and I also get her frustration at being treated different. The constant drug testing that others arenít getting, etc. but Iíve never liked her temper.
    I saw a post that shows the stark differences between how men and women are viewed. One NY paper called her a total meltdown and the same paper called a male baseball manager as ďdiscussingĒ a call with an ump even though he was identical to her in stance, pose, and rage.
    For the record I donít like the grunters, screamers to whiners. Tired of Rafa and his slower than molasses pace and his ďIím behind so I quitĒ act. Maybe thatís why I love Roger so much.

Edit- Ramos, the ump, was the same one Rafa blew up at last year and Rafa told himbed never ump his match ever again. Funny how he didnít blow up at Rafa like he did Serena.
    Last edited by Deutsche Gopher Fan; 09-09-2018 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    I donít like the way she throws fits, and I also get her frustration at being treated different. The constant drug testing that others arenít getting, etc. but Iíve never liked her temper.
    I saw a post that shows the stark differences between how men and women are viewed. One NY paper called her a total meltdown and the same paper called a male baseball manager as ďdiscussingĒ a call with an ump even though he was identical to her in stance, pose, and rage.
    For the record I donít like the grunters, screamers to whiners. Tired of Rafa and his slower than molasses pace and his ďIím behind so I quitĒ act. Maybe thatís why I love Roger so much.

Edit- Ramos, the ump, was the same one Rafa blew up at last year and Rafa told himbed never ump his match ever again. Funny how he didnít blow up at Rafa like he did Serena.
    Itís incredibly arrogant for her to think she can do whatever she wants and then blame it on sexism. I read today the same umpire coded Djoker earlier this year for a tantrum and has a reputation as a no nonsense guy. I donít think you can do anything worse than call into question a referees integrity too. In a US Open final when everyone is watching there is a better chance for things being called tighter as well.

there's a good buck in that racket.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    You cannot be serious.

Thread Information