Tennis...Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    I hope either of them pass Fed simply for the fact he looks like a massive dink.
    Uh, have you seen what joker looks like?

Comment

• Re: Tennis...Anyone?

Could live with Djokovic getting the all time lead. Felt Nadal's titles were too French Open centered but I suppose that happens with a lot of players.
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
        I feel like the age gap between Nadal and Fed isn't as pronounced as it used to be, Fed's body has held up better and I think part of it is due to the differences in style of play.
        My tennis coach used to say Nadal is what you'd get if you took a phenomenal natural talent and set out to design a style to destroy his body.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          My tennis coach used to say Nadal is what you'd get if you took a phenomenal natural talent and set out to design a style to destroy his body.
          Yeah I was gonna write something up about it yesterday but never submitted. I think the biggest difference between the two is that Fed plays efficiently and tries to hit winners more frequently even if that means more errors as well (both forced and unforced). Nadal just focused on prolonging every single point and didn't hit nearly as many winners (at least against Fed) in every match I remember watching. IDK if there are stats on this out there but I always remember it ending up that way.

The other thing is that it always seemed like Fed moves more efficiently or has better footwork rather than relying on effort as much. That's kind of a subjective thing but that's always how it seemed to me anyhow.

Comment

I remember Roddick's finals attempts vs. Federer and noted each time how Andy put so much, "oomph" into every shot while Roger was always cool as a cucumber. I thought at the time a person can't expend that much energy on every shot and expect to last.

Comment

Yeah I was gonna write something up about it yesterday but never submitted. I think the biggest difference between the two is that Fed plays efficiently and tries to hit winners more frequently even if that means more errors as well (both forced and unforced). Nadal just focused on prolonging every single point and didn't hit nearly as many winners (at least against Fed) in every match I remember watching. IDK if there are stats on this out there but I always remember it ending up that way.

The other thing is that it always seemed like Fed moves more efficiently or has better footwork rather than relying on effort as much. That's kind of a subjective thing but that's always how it seemed to me anyhow.
              Sounds accurate to me. Love Nadal. Never liked Roger very much. Loved Agassi, never liked Sampras very much. It's almost like I always in Tennis pick the horse that ends up in second in the rivalry over their timespan.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                Sounds accurate to me. Love Nadal. Never liked Roger very much. Loved Agassi, never liked Sampras very much. It's almost like I always in Tennis pick the horse that ends up in second in the rivalry over their timespan.
                I'm the opposite. Love the classical style of Sampras and roger, hate the power game of nadal. Oh, also hate the grunting. Shut UP Rafa

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                  I'm the opposite. Love the classical style of Sampras and roger, hate the power game of nadal. Oh, also hate the grunting. Shut UP Rafa
                  Never bothered me. Loved Monica Seles, hated Steffi Graff. I hope the guy that stabbed her rots in hell for eternity.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Never bothered me. Loved Monica Seles, hated Steffi Graff. I hope the guy that stabbed her rots in hell for eternity.
                    I loved Monica too. Her grunting was annoying but not as much as Rafa.
                    As a kid I used the two handed forehand to copy Monica.

Comment

Well Nadal still holds that head to head record I'm pretty sure, at least in grand slams. But guessing Fed has narrowed the gap a bit in recent years.

I haven't followed tennis super closely now that I don't play it anymore so I could be wrong about all of this

Comment

• Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                        Well Nadal still holds that head to head record I'm pretty sure, at least in grand slams. But guessing Fed has narrowed the gap a bit in recent years.

I haven't followed tennis super closely now that I don't play it anymore so I could be wrong about all of this
                        Rafa is still way ahead at grand slams but it's mostly because they have played a lot more at Roland Garros than the other venues. They interestingly enough have never faced each other at the U.S. open.

I like the all court games of Fed and Agassi a lot more than Sampras or Nadal. Drug cheating is rampant in tennis but I always felt it was a lot more obvious with Nadal than other players.
                        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

it always seemed like Fed moves more efficiently or has better footwork rather than relying on effort as much.
                          especially in the latest Australian Open final. It seemed to me that he changed tactics compared to prior matches with Nadal, to cut off shots right after the bounce and hit the ball while it was still rising. That countered Nadal's tendency to force Federer to move side to side until he could find an opening. By returning the ball that much sooner during each rally, it also made it harder for Nadal to set up his stroke.

Fed did something similar to Djoker several times (last year? year before last?) when he would move in on the second serve and half-volley it back.
                          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                            Rafa is still way ahead at grand slams but it's mostly because they have played a lot more at Roland Garros than the other venues. They interestingly enough have never faced each other at the U.S. open.

I like the all court games of Fed and Agassi a lot more than Sampras or Nadal. Drug cheating is rampant in tennis but I always felt it was a lot more obvious with Nadal than other players.
                            You think Nadal was using PEDs? The thought never crossed my mind. Idk how it would help in tennis other than blood doping and getting more stamina or something like that.

Comment

I've never been a huge fan of comparing the head-to-head, at least as a sole measure, because you're ignoring all those years Federer was still grinding it out and putting up pretty respectable finishes in majors while Nadal was out with injuries/definitely not steroid suspensions.
                              Originally posted by dicaslover
                              Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                              Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                                I've never been a huge fan of comparing the head-to-head, at least as a sole measure, because you're ignoring all those years Federer was still grinding it out and putting up pretty respectable finishes in majors while Nadal was out with injuries/definitely not steroid suspensions.
                                That's true. Nadal is five years younger than Fed too so he kinda always had an advantage in that regard, especially as Fed got closer to 30.

Comment

Working...
                                X