• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Tennis...Anyone?

Dammit

Comment

The "throwback" Australian Open. It's 2008 all over again!

Men's Final: Federer v Nadal

Women's Final: Serena v Venus
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
        The "throwback" Australian Open. It's 2008 all over again!

Men's Final: Federer v Nadal

Women's Final: Serena v Venus
        Should be a cracker on the men's side. Would think the extra day helps Fed but it could throw his routine off. I'm backing him in four sets.
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Really happy for Federer. Greatest men's player beyond a doubt with 18 titles. Real curious if we ever see these guys in a Slam final again. Not sure if The Joker can catch him at this point either.
          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
            Really happy for Federer. Greatest men's player beyond a doubt with 18 titles. Real curious if we ever see these guys in a Slam final again. Not sure if The Joker can catch him at this point either.
            I guess a lot of it depends on the draw. I would think there is a decent chance at least one of them is in the final of Wimbledon and French Open. I actually would be very surprised if at least one isn't in the final at Roland Garros. They could both have a nice run next couple of years.

Comment

Glad to see Fed win another one, crazy to think how good he still is at age 35. I wonder how many people that age or older have won one on the men's side, at least during the more modern era of tennis.

I feel like the age gap between Nadal and Fed isn't as pronounced as it used to be, Fed's body has held up better and I think part of it is due to the differences in style of play.

Comment

• Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                Glad to see Fed win another one, crazy to think how good he still is at age 35. I wonder how many people that age or older have won one on the men's side, at least during the more modern era of tennis.

I feel like the age gap between Nadal and Fed isn't as pronounced as it used to be, Fed's body has held up better and I think part of it is due to the differences in style of play.
                Sampras won his last grand slam when he had just turned 31. Thinking back to those days he seemed ancient. After he retired there was hardly anyone in their 30's in the top 100 for a while. It seems like there was a golden generation of players born in the 80's. Even guys like Hewitt and Roddick were a lot better than they get credit for.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                  Sampras won his last grand slam when he had just turned 31. Thinking back to those days he seemed ancient. After he retired there was hardly anyone in their 30's in the top 100 for a while. It seems like there was a golden generation of players born in the 80's. Even guys like Hewitt and Roddick were a lot better than they get credit for.
                  Roddick is the only player I can think of who only lost 1 service game in an entire match, broke his opponent's serve twice, yet lost a 5-set match. It was that amazing 5–7, 7–6(8–6), 7–6(7–5), 3–6, 16–14 2009 Wimbledon final.
                  "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I guess a lot of it depends on the draw. I would think there is a decent chance at least one of them is in the final of Wimbledon and French Open. I actually would be very surprised if at least one isn't in the final at Roland Garros. They could both have a nice run next couple of years.
                    Nadal is going to need someone else to take out the Joker at the French Open IMHO. I think Djokovic has a bunch more titles in him but he's like....8 (?) behind. That's a lot to make up especially since he'll be hitting 30 himself shortly.
                    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                      Nadal is going to need someone else to take out the Joker at the French Open IMHO. I think Djokovic has a bunch more titles in him but he's like....8 (?) behind. That's a lot to make up especially since he'll be hitting 30 himself shortly.
                      I believe Joker has either 12 or 13 which would put him five or six behind. I don't think him and Murray will age well with their style. Once you get to 30 its hard to grind out results with your groundies. Fed has always had a really strong service game which has and will continue to serve him well. Nadal doesn't have the biggest serve around but where it is coming from the opposite side makes it tough for opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                        Roddick is the only player I can think of who only lost 1 service game in an entire match, broke his opponent's serve twice, yet lost a 5-set match. It was that amazing 5–7, 7–6(8–6), 7–6(7–5), 3–6, 16–14 2009 Wimbledon final.
                        I'm sure Isman and Dr. Ivo have done it to some guys, but I can't cite the specific matches.

Comment

I believe Joker has either 12 or 13 which would put him five or six behind. I don't think him and Murray will age well with their style. Once you get to 30 its hard to grind out results with your groundies. Fed has always had a really strong service game which has and will continue to serve him well. Nadal doesn't have the biggest serve around but where it is coming from the opposite side makes it tough for opponents.
                          He has 12 according to this http://www.totalsportek.com/tennis/g...rs-mens-women/

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                            I'd be surprised if he gets past 15.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                              Hey, I agree with you on something! And I hope you're right- don't want either of these guys to pass Fed

Comment

I hope either of them pass Fed simply for the fact he looks like a massive dink.

Comment

Working...
                                X