MLB Ballpark Roadtrips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MLB Ballpark Roadtrips

pretty sure the red sox are playing late spring training games at stade olympique if nobody has seen a game there.
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
      Kepler - I'm going with my mom, so the Oakland music scene is really not something we're going to experience.
      Ya never know. Half of Oakland's music scene is produced by people your Mom's age!
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Back from Oakland. Ballpark is nothing special. Food was uninspiring and $11.50 for a craft beer is a little pricey. Impressed with A's fans, though; good baseball folk. Very nice stadium employees. 25 down, 5 more to go.

edit: I forgot one stadium employee who wasn't nice - the lady at the ADA tent after the game that told my mom she had to walk up the ramp to BART instead of getting a ride in the cart. After she had gotten a ride DOWN the ramp. The cart driver was NOT happy to hear my mom was told she had to walk.
        Last edited by jen; 06-24-2016, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Hastily put together a trip this weekend to see the Indians and Jays at Rogers Centre. Was hoping to go next week when the Tigers were in town but that didn't work out. Not expecting too much, but it's a relatively short drive and an easy way to check a ballpark off the list.
          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Toronto was a success.

Stayed a little outside the city in Mississauga the night before and drove in morning of. Found some parking a few blocks from the stadium that was probably overpriced, but oh well. The hot dog stands around the stadium offer a better deal than what you'll get inside the stadium, so grabbed a jumbo dog and loaded it up with toppings before heading in. We spent a little too long walking around the area outside the stadium, so we didn't really get to view the 100 or 200 levels before the game started, but no big deal. Seats were in the first few rows behind home plate in the 500 level nosebleeds, which offered up a great view of the field and the limited city scape that shows when the roof is open. The CN Tower looms over you for a very unique setting.

Concessions were overpriced, at least taken at face value in Canadian dollars, but made more sense with the exchange rate. Basically add 20-25% of what you would expect something to be at an American ballpark and that's what it was at Rogers Centre. Even with that in mind, the 10.50-13 they were charging for beer seemed outrageous. Heard from others they accept American currency at the concession, but give you change in Canadian at a 1:1 conversion rate, so you lose money on the purchase. I had Canadian money, so that wasn't an issue. On a good note, their souvenir cups come with a sticker that gives you a free refill, something I hope other ballparks start doing.

Game itself was great. Homer fest, Rajai Davis hit for the cycle, and the Indians win streak was snapped. Guy next to me had stayed for all 19 innings the day before, and right after the six inning ended he got up and ran to the concessions, coming back with his fifth beer of the day. "Just in case this goes extras again. They stop selling after the seventh and I coulda used another one yesterday."
            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Researching ballpark food in Houston and Texas. Texas is not the place to go if you can't have deep-fried things. They're a little ridiculous.

Comment

Back from Houston and Texas. Houston's ballpark was odd (it's just funny-shaped - like they went out of their way to make it artificially unique, see: Tal's Hill), and not impressed with Astros fans at all. Huge game, still in the wild card and playing the team ahead of them in the standings - probably about 25,000 there, and most left early. I had pulled pork sliders - not too bad.

Drove up to Arlington via College Station and Waco to see a little of the Texas landscape (and had really good BBQ outside of College Station).

Two things bothered me about the Rangers' ballpark - they didn't show replays on the scoreboard when plays got challenged, and they announced the battery before the game (but after the starting lineups). um, do Rangers fans not know what a battery is? Why announce it separately? Otherwise, a pretty nice park. They have a vote soon for a new one, because no one thought about air conditioning this one. First game was very pleasant, and it was 90 for the second game, which was a little warm, but not unbearable. Baseball appears to be mostly a social activity there, though. I didn't eat anything there, but they had a lot of different food options... if you can eat deep fried things and fatty meats.

27 down, 3 to go.

Comment

Whatcha got for 2017?

Planning on flying into Phoenix, then driving to Anaheim for 28 and 29. Definitely want to take a day to see the Grand Canyon. I think it would drive me crazy to get those two and NOT get #30 this year, so I'll probably go to Miami as well.

Comment

My only chances for MLB games this year would be Minneapolis, Atlanta, or SF/Oakland.

There's an off chance I could catch a spring game in FL.
                    Last edited by JF_Gophers; 01-19-2017, 09:00 AM.
                    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                      There's an off chance I could catch a spring game game in FL.
                      Spring Training is still on my wish list (although I'd go to AZ). Have never been.
                      Last edited by jen; 01-19-2017, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                        Spring Training is still on my wish list (although I'd go to AZ). Have never been.
                        I recommend it, but remember that in the Phoenix area every location is at least 20 minutes from every other. It is the most bizarrely far-flung city I've ever seen. Also avoid surface streets if you can.

Now that our daughter lives there we are thinking of going too. 17, 10 and 101 are huge and empty.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Did Cubs and Phillies in 2016, not sure what the plan will be for 2017. Good chance either San Diego or San Francisco this year.

Best advice for spring training in AZ, figure out which part of the stadium will be shaded first and get tickets there. You do not want to be in the sun for a whole afternoon.

Comment

I think minor league ballpark trips are a lot more interesting.

We're blessed here in MD with some outstanding minor league parks in Frederick and Bowie. I've been to Kissimmee, Pawtucket, Elmira, NY, and Billings, MT that I thoroghly enjoyed myself without breaking the bank. All of those parks were old, but they had tons of character.

I still think the best MLB park I've ever been to is Yankee Stadium I.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              I think minor league ballpark trips are a lot more interesting.

We're blessed here in MD with some outstanding minor league parks in Frederick and Bowie. I've been to Kissimmee, Pawtucket, Elmira, NY, and Billings, MT that I thoroghly enjoyed myself without breaking the bank. All of those parks were old, but they had tons of character.

I still think the best MLB park I've ever been to is Yankee Stadium I.
                              St. Paul Saints games are so much more entertaining to attend than Twins games, regardless of the ballpark. The Saints used to play in a park that had a train running right behind the leftfield fence, and the team would joke about it if one were to pass during a game. Also, the club took a lot of steps over the years to engage its fans, even with the new park. Twins games are just boring affairs, which are not helped by them being just so bleeping horrible.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

All set for Phoenix and Anaheim - DBacks tickets just went on sale on Monday. Grand Canyon trip planned, two games at Chase Field, then flying to Anaheim for one. Flying to LA was about $250 cheaper than driving from Phoenix, with the extra charge for returning a car to a different destination (plus the 4 hours driving through desert). Normally I'd like to experience the weird little places I wouldn't see otherwise (driving from Houston to Dallas was fun).... but not in the desert.

Rethinking squeezing in Miami this year. We'll see how I (and my wallet) feel about it after Phoenix.

And I really have no idea what I'm going to do in Phoenix (besides Pizzeria Bianco and the Grand Canyon). No car. Any suggestions? Preferably indoor and accessible by light rail.

My plan for LA is to sit in traffic, and maybe eat somewhere in Orange County. Not much time there, but I've been to LA more than once.

Also, baseball gods, since you disappoint me on a yearly basis (and will again this year), could you please arrange Zack Greinke and CC Sabathia starts for this trip? And a Mike Trout walkoff would be a nice finishing touch. Thanks so much.
                                Last edited by jen; 03-01-2017, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X