Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MLB Ballpark Roadtrips

Originally posted by jen View Post
    Thinking of going to Atlanta this year (I know, they have a new stadium next year). I know the stadium is do-able without a car, but what about seeing other stuff in the city? Would like to avoid Atlanta traffic when possible. Where are the nice seats at Turner Field? Has anyone been? Which side is in the sun for afternoon games?

edit: picture on Wiki looks like first base is shaded.
    Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    I've been to Turner a lot. Do not sit in the outfield during the summer. You will die. Tho they do have cool mist stations above the sections. First base is your best bet.

Turner field is downtown so you should be able to do stuff without a car. You just won't be able to go much further out. Their transit system isn't that great beyond the city core.

Check the MARTA Web site to get an idea of where you can go.
    Wife and I did Turner Field three years ago. Had seats in the outfield, but decided to hang out and get dinner from the Chop House restaurant in right-center for the first 1/3 of the game (until the sun set a little). More open air than Friday's Front Row Grill at Miller Park, but you're out of the sun and it was cooler (temperature wise).

Only areas I remember being air conditioned were the Sun Trust Club and the 755 Club (similar in location to the Gehl Club at Miller Park).

We were there a year before they opened a Waffle House inside the park.

As for transportation, I remember it being kinda like Miller Park, in an area that there really wasn't anything nearby. I don't know where the MARTA stop is, but I recall the parking lots being a bit of a drive from downtown. Traffic wasn't terrible, but it wasn't free flowing through the heart of the city either. We were there at the beginning of June 2012.

Definitely want to get back there one more time to see the park before they move.

As for park's I've been to:
    Milwaukee County Stadium, Miller Park, Wrigley Field, US Cellular Park, Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodump err dome, Comerica Park, Turner Field.

I would LOVE to hit up all the MLB parks on a whirlwind summer tour, but finances smash that dream. Realistically, I want to see Target Field, Suntrust Park (when it opens in 2017) and Safeco Field.
    Last edited by aparch; 01-27-2015, 12:48 PM.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Parks left to visit - Atlanta, Arizona, Houston, Texas, Anaheim, Oakland and Miami.

Parks I'd repeat, after I'm finished - SF, LA, Detroit, Pittsburgh (although I guess I've already repeated Pittsburgh). Have not been to the new parks in NY (either) or DC, so maybe those. I loved Camden Yards, but I understand it has not aged very well, so I don't think it'd be the same for me going back.

I'd also like to go back to KC, because I didn't get a chance to visit the Negro League Museum. Don't really need to visit the stadium again.
      Last edited by jen; 01-27-2015, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Still working on an Atlanta trip. Pretty much everything we want to do is downtown (MLK site, Coke bottling tour, maybe Aquarium and Margaret Mitchell House), so staying near a MARTA stop so we can get to the ballpark somewhat easily seems to be the plan. If it's too far for my mom to walk - I assume cabs are plentiful downtown. Single game tickets go on sale Friday - I was hoping for a cool promotion while we're there, but it's all lame stuff. Yoga Day? Really?

i think I blew my all awesome promotion karma with Ken Griffey Jr. Day in Seattle.

Comment

Anyone working on a Cincinnati ASG trip? I highly recommend going once!

I think San Diego and Miami are the next two after this.
          PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
          NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

woohoo! got my Braves-Brewers tickets. First base side, club infield.

Comment

Heading to Atlanta next week. Staying downtown and doing the CNN tour, Coke tour, MLK site and Civil Rights Museum, plus, of course, a couple games. Sounds like the food at Turner Field is pretty good, so I'm looking forward to trying a few things. Looking forward to the Braves Museum - I wish the MARTA shuttle started more than 90 minutes before first pitch, though. And I fully expect to be personally welcomed by Hank Aaron.

Comment

I'm road tripping across the bridge from work next week to see Twins@Pirates. Does that count?
                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Back from Atlanta. Ballpark... nice, but nothing special. I'd rank it middle of the road of the parks I've visited. We couldn't really figure out why they needed a new one, though. Very efficient to get to on MARTA. Food was pretty good, but the Rathburn steak sandwich was outstanding. My mom had the H&F burger, and she said it was outstanding as well. Braves fans... meh. Not too interested in the game. Couldn't believe how many people would get up during at bats, even when the Braves had the bases loaded, to go get food, etc. It seemed like NO ONE got up between innings - always during play. If there were a couple people on base, they'd cheer, but otherwise didn't seem to be following the game much. Not sure where the real fans were, but we certainly didn't see any by us. The highlight of the ballpark may have been the Braves Museum - that was pretty cool. There were also a lot of historical murals, etc, on the Club level that were pretty cool.

Comment

When I visit Fenway for the Sox/Sawx game on July 27, I'm gonna be stuck taking the rental car.... Everything I read about traveling to Fenway says I'm an idiot for doing so... I'll be driving down from Maine early in the day that Monday... I'm already prepared to drop $30-40 on parking... I then need to head west towards Springfield, MA after the game... Can I find parking during the day so I can hang out around the park and take in the atmosphere, or am I limited to just an hour or two prior to 1st pitch? Would anyone have any suggestions on this front?
                    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Re: MLB Ballpark Roadtrips

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                      When I visit Fenway for the Sox/Sawx game on July 27, I'm gonna be stuck taking the rental car.... Everything I read about traveling to Fenway says I'm an idiot for doing so... I'll be driving down from Maine early in the day that Monday... I'm already prepared to drop $30-40 on parking... I then need to head west towards Springfield, MA after the game... Can I find parking during the day so I can hang out around the park and take in the atmosphere, or am I limited to just an hour or two prior to 1st pitch? Would anyone have any suggestions on this front?
                      When I was still at Dartmouth, I always parked at a park and ride in the burbs and took the T in to the actual stadium. Was never an issue, though I can't remember which stations I parked at.
                      Last edited by unofan; 07-06-2015, 05:04 PM.

Comment

When I visit Fenway for the Sox/Sawx game on July 27, I'm gonnaThre be stuck taking the rental car.... Everything I read about traveling to Fenway says I'm an idiot for doing so... I'll be driving down from Maine early in the day that Monday... I'm already prepared to drop $30-40 on parking... I then need to head west towards Springfield, MA after the game... Can I find parking during the day so I can hang out around the park and take in the atmosphere, or am I limited to just an hour or two prior to 1st pitch? Would anyone have any suggestions on this front?
                        There's a T stop (Green Line) at the intersection of Rt128/I95 and the Mass Turnpike (I-90). It will drop you off at Kenmore Square and short walk up to the ballpark. Once you get back, jump on the Turnpike and Springfield is easy drive.

Just remember to take the right Green Line train back. Otherwise you could be all over the place.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          There's a T stop (Green Line) at the intersection of Rt128/I95 and the Mass Turnpike (I-90). It will drop you off at Kenmore Square and short walk up to the ballpark. Once you get back, jump on the Turnpike and Springfield is easy drive.

Just remember to take the right Green Line train back. Otherwise you could be all over the place.
                          Riverside Station. Not a bad call if you want to spend the day in the city before the game and need to head west post game.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                            Riverside Station. Not a bad call if you want to spend the day in the city before the game and need to head west post game.
                            Thanks! That actually seems like a great option... Just have a question on the schedule:

The schedule I'm finding lists "last trip" for Park Street at 12:49am and last trip for Riverside at 12:05am... I assume that this lists when the last train leaves the station listed and heads towards the other end of the line... So the last outbound train at the Fenway station would be around 1:00am, right?
                            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                              Thanks! That actually seems like a great option... Just have a question on the schedule:

The schedule I'm finding lists "last trip" for Park Street at 12:49am and last trip for Riverside at 12:05am... I assume that this lists when the last train leaves the station listed and heads towards the other end of the line... So the last outbound train at the Fenway station would be around 1:00am, right?
                              Kenmore Square is closer. All but 1 of the Green Lines stop there so you have to be sure you get on the right train.

However, outbound getting on at Fenway is free, isn't it?
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

If you're over 6 foot make sure you shrink down a few inches to fit in the seats.
                                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Working...
                                X