Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MLB Ballpark Roadtrips

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
    I really like Comerica, especially the retired numbers on the fence and the statues above the numbers on the concourse. Love that touch.
    I like that part of it too. The brick wall across the outfield especially. And while I like the location of the statues and numbers, the statues themselves leave something to be desired. Whoever decided that they needed to look like they are blurred in motion missed the boat. Also, they have added several names since I was there last, and it's starting to look crowded. I commented to my father that I always liked when the Cubs only had one retired number. Now they have 4 and that looks crowded, so all the names at Comerica is a bit much to me.
    Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
    B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
    CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
    ECAC:
    HEA: UMass
    NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
    Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

I really like Comerica, especially the retired numbers on the fence and the statues above the numbers on the concourse. Love that touch.
      I like it too, and all the little "tiger" touches around the ballpark. One of my favorite parks. Don't forget the whale wall!

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
      Miller Park was as expected - falling into the, "it's okay" category, and at the bottom end of the retractable roofed ballparks.
      This is how I feel about it too. It's nice, but it's nothing special. I don't feel any kind of emotional attachment to it.

Comment

Pics to come once the three cameras photos are combined!
        I set this album to public, so everyone should be able to view. Let me know if that's not the case...

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...2651178&type=1

AHA:
        ECAC:

Comment

I set this album to public, so everyone should be able to view. Let me know if that's not the case...

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...2651178&type=1
          Neat pics.

Don't know how much the SGT told you about the electronic targets, but they depict the shot location by triangulating the sound, and are accurate to 1 ten-thousandth of a millimeter, or atleast the ones I have shot on while participating in NCAA events were. Super, super nice to shoot with, and it has truly made an event (Olympic and others) much more of a "spectator" event, because they can tie those displays and scores on a large screen and the people watching can follow the results of each shot as it happens. Haven't made it to Camp Perry yet, but definitely on my to-do list some day for a match.

Comment

I like that part of it too. The brick wall across the outfield especially. And while I like the location of the statues and numbers, the statues themselves leave something to be desired. Whoever decided that they needed to look like they are blurred in motion missed the boat. Also, they have added several names since I was there last, and it's starting to look crowded. I commented to my father that I always liked when the Cubs only had one retired number. Now they have 4 and that looks crowded, so all the names at Comerica is a bit much to me.
            I really like the blurred image depiction....especially Cobb going in spikes up.

Great pics, BTW! We sat in almost the same spot at PNC - love that park. I'm hitting Fenway for the first time in September...very pumped.
            Last edited by Greyeagle; 07-13-2012, 10:02 PM.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
            And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
            Twenty red lights in his honor
            Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

I don't think I ever commented on out trip to Cincinatti in which I and the boys attended a Reds-Tigers game. I was thoroughly impressed with the stadium but also the city itself. Great riverfront, plenty of attractions and an extremely friendly populace imho.

*****http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/421536_3693610671370_241054834_n.jpg******

Comment

I really like the blurred image depiction....especially Cobb going in spikes up.

Great pics, BTW! We sat in almost the same spot at PNC - love that park. I'm hitting Fenway for the first time in September...very pumped.
                Fenway was really nice. It's the only ballpark where you can sit in the batter's eye and that's exactly where we got the chance to sit last summer.

The amenities are pretty much what you'd expect from a place that was built in 1912, but there have been plenty of updates and if you can get past the Boston accent, then the people aren't too bad, either .

Our roadtrip for this summer is still on. Friend1 is showing up today and we're going to Toronto and back tomorrow. Friend2 is showing up on Monday and then Detroit (Tues), Cincinnati (Wed), Cedar Point (Thurs and Fri), and finally Cleveland (Fri).

Is it sad that I'm already looking forward to next year's trip? I'm really hoping for Chicago, Milwaukee, Minnesota, and Chicago again. Or, if Friend1 gets a job in Colorado like he's hoping, then perhaps a Colorado, Arizona, San Diego, LA trip will be in the works.
                Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                  Fenway was really nice. It's the only ballpark where you can sit in the batter's eye and that's exactly where we got the chance to sit last summer.

The amenities are pretty much what you'd expect from a place that was built in 1912, but there have been plenty of updates and if you can get past the Boston accent, then the people aren't too bad, either .

Our roadtrip for this summer is still on. Friend1 is showing up today and we're going to Toronto and back tomorrow. Friend2 is showing up on Monday and then Detroit (Tues), Cincinnati (Wed), Cedar Point (Thurs and Fri), and finally Cleveland (Fri).

Is it sad that I'm already looking forward to next year's trip? I'm really hoping for Chicago, Milwaukee, Minnesota, and Chicago again. Or, if Friend1 gets a job in Colorado like he's hoping, then perhaps a Colorado, Arizona, San Diego, LA trip will be in the works.
                  I'll bet Fenway is AWESOME if you're not over six feet tall, and not overweight. I still loved it when I went, even though I am both, but I have literally never been in a more uncomfortable seat anywhere at any place in my life.

If you do find yourself in Colorado, Coors Field is worth the visit. The product on the field is unfortunately not much to see the past few years, but it's a pretty nice environment for a game.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
                    I'll bet Fenway is AWESOME if you're not over six feet tall, and not overweight. I still loved it when I went, even though I am both, but I have literally never been in a more uncomfortable seat anywhere at any place in my life.
                    Did you ever have the pleasure of sitting most anywhere in old Comiskey Park? Smallest seats I have ever seen in a ballpark. It was ultra cramped for me and I was there last in its penultimate season, 2-plus decades ago when I was 15 pounds lighter. I imagine the seats were basically the same size as Fenway's, since the vintage was similar. Great views of the field from most of the lower deck at Comiskey. In fact, the first couple of rows were at the same level as the playing surface, so you got a sort of a "dugout" view of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post

Having lived in Boston for 7 years I hate practically everything about the place, but Fenway is still the best ballpark I've ever been to, and the best professional sports arena of any kind I've been to. The place is pure magic; they should move it somewhere tolerable humans live.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I have really mixed feeling on Fenway. For one, they have just about done the best possible job of renovating as they can without building new. That said, it still isn't enough (the cramped seating being the main issue) to bring it up to the level of an even comfortable ballpark. I'm tall (6'7") and had seats down the LF line near the Monster when I was there, and we ended up watching the game from standing room for that very reason. Now, standing room? Great. Had a fantastic view, the atmosphere was awesome, etc. I really enjoyed myself. However, you can't get away from how uncomfortable it is to try to sit in your seats.

Being a Wrigley lover, I appreciate that they have kept Fenway around rather than replace, and hope that Wrigley can get the Fenway treatment sooner than later (and since legroom isn't as much an issue at Wrigley, any improvement would be gravy).

AHA:
                        ECAC:

Comment

I have really mixed feeling on Fenway. For one, they have just about done the best possible job of renovating as they can without building new. That said, it still isn't enough (the cramped seating being the main issue) to bring it up to the level of an even comfortable ballpark. I'm tall (6'7") and had seats down the LF line near the Monster when I was there, and we ended up watching the game from standing room for that very reason. Now, standing room? Great. Had a fantastic view, the atmosphere was awesome, etc. I really enjoyed myself. However, you can't get away from how uncomfortable it is to try to sit in your seats.

Being a Wrigley lover, I appreciate that they have kept Fenway around rather than replace, and hope that Wrigley can get the Fenway treatment sooner than later (and since legroom isn't as much an issue at Wrigley, any improvement would be gravy).
                          Fenway is just an awesome ballpark to see a game at. Especially a hockey game

Comment

Just found out the Mariners are inducting Ken Griffey Jr. to their HOF on the Saturday the Brewers play there. VERY EXCITED.

Comment

You're going, aren't you?
                              FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                                You're going, aren't you?
                                I am, actually (but I was going before I knew about Griffey).

Probably will not have another new ballpark this season, since I think I am using most of my vacation, and Seattle will be a pricey trip.

Still have most of the hot places left (ATL, MIA, HOU, TEX, ARI), and California AL.
                                Last edited by jen; 01-23-2013, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X