Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MLB Ballpark Roadtrips

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    I will have just moved to Pittsburgh a few days prior to when you get there for the Pirates/Giants game.
    Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
    moose, I'll be in the Buffalo / Niagara Falls area while you're in the area, but I'll be dealing with moving into a new apt and will likely have to work your free day.
    I'll post a reminder a few days before my trip. If it works out, great. If not, no big deal...
    Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
    B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
    CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
    ECAC:
    HEA: UMass
    NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
    Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Moose

While you're exploring downtown Toronto, you should drop by Maple Leaf Gardens at Church and Carlton Sts. It's now a high-end grocery store and the athletic facility of Ryerson University. (my alma mater)

There are a number of excellent restaurants and sports bars around the Rogers Center. For breakfast or lunch, I recommend going to the St. Lawrence Market at Jarvis and Front Streets (two blocks east of the HHoF) for a peameal bacon on a bun from any of the butcher shops there.

I agree with Burgie - if you're going to do the Falls, you should take the Niagara Parkway from Niagara on the Lake. If you are into wine, there are a number of wineries that offer tours and tastings.
      Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
        Moose

While you're exploring downtown Toronto, you should drop by Maple Leaf Gardens at Church and Carlton Sts. It's now a high-end grocery store and the athletic facility of Ryerson University. (my alma mater)
        I'll see if we can get over there. Any idea how far along they are on the rink? I'd love to check that out...

There are a number of excellent restaurants and sports bars around the Rogers Center. For breakfast or lunch, I recommend going to the St. Lawrence Market at Jarvis and Front Streets (two blocks east of the HHoF) for a peameal bacon on a bun from any of the butcher shops there.
        One place I'm confident I'll have a good idea where to go is Toronto. The BSU TV play-by-play guy (who happens to be my co-host on College Hockey Tonight) grew up in Acton, ON. Not that I don't appreciate different perspectives.

I agree with Burgie - if you're going to do the Falls, you should take the Niagara Parkway from Niagara on the Lake. If you are into wine, there are a number of wineries that offer tours and tastings.
        Not big on wine, but will look into the Parkway. Thanks guys!

AHA:
        ECAC:

Comment

Interesting thread. While I haven't done any consecutive road trips, I do usually check to see if the home team is in town when I travel to various cities. I've been fortunate enough to get to some ballparks that I otherwise wouldn't get to see (GABP, Trop, minor league game in Asheville, NC, and Shea come to mind).

Good call on the Montgomery Inn suggestion. I've been there once when I was in my teens and my family will still order their bbq sauce and have it shipped to our house in NY.

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
            I'll see if we can get over there. Any idea how far along they are on the rink?
            The photos on the Ryerson site shows the seats are in and the rink floor has been poured.
            Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

So, I'm noticing that the 4th of July in Detroit is just about dead. I've found a few things that will be open, but most options are not. Anyone have ideas along the I-96 corridor that day? I was looking at the Gerald Ford Library in Grand Rapids and the Model T factory in Detroit as a couple options that would be open that day. We'll be taking the Lake Express from Milwaukee to Muskegon, and arriving at 9:30 am, and have the drive across the state with game time not until 7 pm. Any help would be great, thanks!

AHA:
              ECAC:

Comment

Currently at 22 teams (25 ballparks). Probably not getting another new one in this year. I'm thinking maybe Miami next year. Must see the home run thingy.

I have Anaheim, Oakland, Arizona, Houston, Texas, Atlanta, Miami and Seattle left. I regret not going to Oakland while I was in SF.. but I guess that's another excuse to go back to SF, and I loved their park. And I loved Dodger Stadium, so I can repeat there when I go to Anaheim.

Comment

There's a new concession stand at Miller Park called the Chef's Table - featuring a signature item from the visiting team's city. I think this is a really cool idea.

Stuff they've had so far:

Pittsburgh: Primanti-style sandwich - served on fresh, soft Italian bread and piled high with pan fried spicy Capicola and Genoa salami. Provolone cheese, tomatoes, zesty cole slaw and–the key to the sandwich–fresh cut French Fries between the bread

Chicago: Italian Beef Sandwich and Taylor Street Steak Sandwich - thin, fried steak that is topped with sweet peppers or hot giardinera and then finished with marinara sauce.

Minnesota: Cajun Walleye Reuben sandwich

Cincinnati: "Skyline" Chili

Houston: Texas Style Chili Pie

LA: L.A.-style sliders (seems a bit uninspired - they already have sliders at the ballpark)

Colorado: Bison Burgers

SF: Chinatown Banh Mi sandwich - beef sirloin glazed in brown sugar and soy sauce topped with Asian Slaw, radish, cucumbers and sweet chili mayonnaise.

Looking forward to the selection for San Diego - better be fish tacos!
                  Last edited by jen; 06-08-2012, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Will be making a trip to St. Louis next week.
                    Is there anything that is a "must have" food wise at Busch?
                    "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                    -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                    Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                    Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                    Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                    Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                      Will be making a trip to St. Louis next week.
                      Is there anything that is a "must have" food wise at Busch?
                      I don't think there is much that is really out of the ordinary in the stadium, but you should strongly consider making a trip to Ted Drewes Frozen Custard (6726 Chippewa Street, St. Louis, MO 63109) after the game. It's about 15-20 minutes away by car, but tons of people head there after the games. They serve sundaes and incredibly thick milkshakes called "concretes" made of frozen custard, which is like ice cream, but different (and definitely much better). Don't be scared off by the huge crowd in line when you arrive; the line moves incredibly quickly.
                      RPI Pep Band
                      GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                      🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                      2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                      2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                        I don't think there is much that is really out of the ordinary in the stadium, but you should strongly consider making a trip to Ted Drewes Frozen Custard (6726 Chippewa Street, St. Louis, MO 63109) after the game. It's about 15-20 minutes away by car, but tons of people head there after the games. They serve sundaes and incredibly thick milkshakes called "concretes" made of frozen custard, which is like ice cream, but different (and definitely much better). Don't be scared off by the huge crowd in line when you arrive; the line moves incredibly quickly.
                        My husband and I will be going with a St. Louis native, Ted Drewes was already on the list
                        Our friend has suggested the toasted ravioli.
                        I was just wondering if there is anything "special" at the park, that say could only be found at Busch (like sushi in a California park)
                        "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                        -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                        Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                        Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                        Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                        Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Ted Drewes and toasted ravioli about sums it up. There's always St. Louis style pizza too...yum!

Here's a rundown of concession options available at Busch: http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/stl...nt=concessions
                          Nothing spectacularly out-of-the-ordinary.

Comment

Just saw a pair of games at Nationals Park and I have to say it's a very pleasant experience. Other than the inevitable nods to Mass Stupidity (stabbing piped-in riffs after every pitch, overwrought CF scoreboard with Michael Bayesque graphics and obnoxious product promos), it's comfortable, has great sight lines, and is a scorekeepers' dream -- lineups, scoring of all prior ABs by the current hitter, asterisks to mark the leadoff hitter in the next inning, modest bullpen scoreboard showing who is warming up.

It's really a nice place.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

If you have time in Milwaukee and you're not confined to baseball or sports eateries, the Safe House is unique, not for its fare but for its cold war spy theme.

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                                I was just wondering if there is anything "special" at the park, that say could only be found at Busch (like sushi in a California park)
                                beers that they fill from the bottom!!

seriously, there's nothing that unique food-wise, except the toasted ravioli (which is better on The Hill, as would be expected). St. Louis is one of the more expensive ballparks, concession-wise.

Kepler: thanks for posting about Nationals Park. I don't like to repeat cities (outside of Chicago and St. Louis), but we were talking about going to DC again (I've been to RFK), and it's good to know the ballpark will be worth it. I've found a lot of newer parks are nothing special and I'm usually disappointed.
                                Last edited by jen; 06-08-2012, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X