Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MLB Ballpark Roadtrips

Originally posted by jen View Post
    All set for Phoenix and Anaheim - DBacks tickets just went on sale on Monday. Grand Canyon trip planned, two games at Chase Field, then flying to Anaheim for one. Flying to LA was about $250 cheaper than driving from Phoenix, with the extra charge for returning a car to a different destination (plus the 4 hours driving through desert). Normally I'd like to experience the weird little places I wouldn't see otherwise (driving from Houston to Dallas was fun).... but not in the desert.

Rethinking squeezing in Miami this year. We'll see how I (and my wallet) feel about it after Phoenix.

And I really have no idea what I'm going to do in Phoenix (besides Pizzeria Bianco and the Grand Canyon). No car. Any suggestions? Preferably indoor and accessible by light rail.

My plan for LA is to sit in traffic, and maybe eat somewhere in Orange County. Not much time there, but I've been to LA more than once.

Also, baseball gods, since you disappoint me on a yearly basis (and will again this year), could you please arrange Zack Greinke and CC Sabathia starts for this trip? And a Mike Trout walkoff would be a nice finishing touch. Thanks so much.
    Are you going to stay in LA when you hit Anaheim? The drive out on the 5 is long and tedious and it's constantly under construction. They're widening it. There's a stretch of it that was 3 lanes on either side. My brother said it was called the Orange Crush. Anyway, you could go to Downtown Disney to eat. You don't have to pay for park entrance. There are some nice restaurants there.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      Are you going to stay in LA when you hit Anaheim? The drive out on the 5 is long and tedious and it's constantly under construction. They're widening it. There's a stretch of it that was 3 lanes on either side. My brother said it was called the Orange Crush. Anyway, you could go to Downtown Disney to eat. You don't have to pay for park entrance. There are some nice restaurants there.
      Yep, staying by LAX so I can return the car on Monday night after the game, and fly home Tuesday morning. I fly out of Phoenix at 8 am-ish, so can allow plenty of time to drive to Anaheim.

Comment

What's the best thing you've eaten at an MLB ballpark?

I think Miller Park has the best food overall (although it's fallen off a bit in the last 1-2 years), but they re-did all their concessions this year, so I have no idea what it'll be like now.

I usually try to get something unique at each ballpark, but honestly, the grilled Dodger dog was incredible. That's one thing that really sticks out for me.

Comment

Chicago dog at Wrigley loaded with all the fixings tops the list for me. Fenway Frank was good too, as was the street dog I had outside SkyDome, though I suppose the last one isn't technically a ballpark food.

Only made it to Toronto last year. Gonna try to get Cleveland, The Cell, and maybe Milwaukee in this year. Possibly another game at Fenway in August.
          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

I like Tony O's cuban and Kramarczuk's polish sausage at Target Field. Usually get one of the two, sometimes both if I've had enough to drink.
            the state of hockey is good

Comment

When I was in Atlanta in September, they had a Waffle House concession. I got a waffle with chocolate chips! I was wondering if the new ballpark would also have it.

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                I like Tony O's cuban and Kramarczuk's polish sausage at Target Field. Usually get one of the two, sometimes both if I've had enough to drink.
                Ditto. Target Field is just incredible for food.

Sorry Jen, the food I've had at Miller was more like the Metrodome than Target Field. The brats were the same as they had at the dome. KC was just ok too.

All of the other ballparks I've been too I can't remember the food.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                  I forgot that I had the Cuban there - that was good too. Much better than the one at the Tampa ballpark.

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  When I was in Atlanta in September, they had a Waffle House concession. I got a waffle with chocolate chips! I was wondering if the new ballpark would also have it.
                  I also forgot about the Kevin Rathburn steak sandwich in Atlanta (old ballpark, obviously), which was outstanding.

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    St. Paul Saints games are so much more entertaining to attend than Twins games, regardless of the ballpark. The Saints used to play in a park that had a train running right behind the leftfield fence, and the team would joke about it if one were to pass during a game. Also, the club took a lot of steps over the years to engage its fans, even with the new park. Twins games are just boring affairs, which are not helped by them being just so bleeping horrible.
                    Now they joke about low-flying planes approaching the Saint Paul airport. Saints games are so much fun, win or lose. "[enter opposing team's batter name here] is at the plate with two strikes and NO BALLS."

Plus, you might run into BFM himself.
                    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      St. Paul Saints games are so much more entertaining to attend than Twins games, regardless of the ballpark. The Saints used to play in a park that had a train running right behind the leftfield fence, and the team would joke about it if one were to pass during a game. Also, the club took a lot of steps over the years to engage its fans, even with the new park. Twins games are just boring affairs, which are not helped by them being just so bleeping horrible.
                      MiLB > MLB, unless the stadium is an unredeemable pit (Portland). The players give a sh-t, the fans aren't hostile drunks (they're mellow drunks), and the baseball:crap ratio is significantly higher. A much more enjoyable afternoon at the park.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

My favorite picture of all time perfectly represents everything about the Saints:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped.../Saintspig.jpg
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Back from a trip to ballparks 28 (Phoenix) and 29 (Anaheim).

Chase Field reminded me a lot of Miller Park. They had the roof open on Saturday night, but it didn't feel too bad (about 100 degrees at game time). Roof closed on Sunday afternoon, of course. I'm not sure I saw an usher the whole time I was there. They have all that crazy food (churro dog, chicken funnel cake sandwich, etc). Didn't get any of that, but I did see someone get a two foot long enchilada dog. The brisket was very good, as well as the blackberry margarita. Beer selection was subpar - couldn't find anything I'd identify as local. Dbacks fans... they seem kind of like puppies. They get very excited and loud, but they're not really sure why. It was the mascot's birthday on Sunday, and Artie the Artichoke was there, so that was a highlight.

Angel Stadium... I can't believe general parking was only $10. And it wasn't THAT far away. Of course, a local beer cost me $14.50, so I guess it evened out. Food was just OK. Nothing inspiring. It wouldn't be fair to offer an opinion on atmosphere or Angel fans, since they played the Yankees, so every clueless idiot that goes to one game a year was there. People, if everyone sits back in their seat, everyone can see. If one person leans forward, no one can see, except that person. This is not complicated, and should especially be followed IF YOU ARE NOT EVEN WATCHING THE **** GAME. I actually "upgraded" my seat after the third inning, so I could see home plate (and yes, I did politely ask them not to lean forward). After Chase Field, the field here seemed tiny. I think it was 365 down the alleys? Sheesh. But it was an exciting (but long) game, and Aaron Judge hit a home run to give the Yankees the lead, so there's that. I thought the scoreboards - for having two large ones - didn't offer a lot of information and were poorly laid out.

Anyway, had a good time at both ballparks. Just found out a friend of mine is planning a trip to Miami this summer, which is the only one I have left. Woohoo!
                          Last edited by jen; 06-14-2017, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Tickets are ridiculously cheap in Miami, which surprises me... not at all. Field level, low, for $30. I briefly considered sitting by the aquariums, but you have to call to get those seats, so it's probably more than I want to spend, even for ballpark #30.

btw, baseball gods, we need to have a talk -

Originally posted by jen View Post
                            Also, baseball gods, since you disappoint me on a yearly basis (and will again this year), could you please arrange Zack Greinke and CC Sabathia starts for this trip? And a Mike Trout walkoff would be a nice finishing touch. Thanks so much.
                            yeah, NOT ONE of those things happened. Sabathia's start got pushed back, Greinke's turn wasn't up, and Trout was hurt.

So I have one more favor this year.

Please, please ensure the Marlins hit a home run in the one game I go to. If I don't see the Home Run Thingy in action, all will be lost.
                            Last edited by jen; 06-29-2017, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Heading to San Francisco this weekend, but the Giants are not in town. Is it worth it to go to an A's game, or is O.co as bad as I imagine it to be?

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                                Heading to San Francisco this weekend, but the Giants are not in town. Is it worth it to go to an A's game, or is O.co as bad as I imagine it to be?
                                A's stadium: meh
                                A's fans: ++++++
                                Stomper: ++++++++++

If you don't have enough to do in SF (not likely), it's worth a trip.

Comment

Working...
                                X