MLB Ballpark Roadtrips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB Ballpark Roadtrips

I know there used to be a thread about this, but darned if I could find it...

Anyway, in less than 2 months, I'll be off on another roadtrip, this time seeing three new ballparks in Milwaukee, Toronto and Pittsburgh (plus a re-visit to Detroit). We also hope to hit Yost for a quick walk through (I asked in the UMich thread asking if folks knew the schedule and contact info there), but I understand that it's under renovation, so we'll have to see. I also, of course, will hit the Hockey HOF in Toronto and the Pro Football HOF in Canton. That will put my MLB ballpark total at 25 current (only missing Tampa, Miami, Seattle, Colorado and new St. Louis) plus 4 defunct MLB ballparks (old Comiskey, old St. Louis, Metrodome and Renovated Yankee Stadium). The trip runs from July 3 (Milwaukee/Miami that day, Tigers/Twins the next, Toronto/KC on 7/5, free day in Toronto/Niagara Falls on 7/6, then Pirates/Giants on 7/7 before Pro Football HOF and return home) through July 8.

So, I've visited most of these ballparks on trips just like the one I'm taking in early July. Visit 4-7 parks over a week trip. This will be my 4th major trip like this, all with my Father, who is a retired teacher. He took one with a friend before taking me along, and enjoyed it so much, that it has become our bonding thing, since we live 9 hours apart.

I wanted to start this thread as a place for folks to suggest things to do at ballparks. I certainly have some experience, although not as much as locals. I'm looking for ideas on what not to miss either inside the park or just outside. If anyone else is taking a trip this summer, I'd love to help you plan.
    Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
    B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
    CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
    ECAC:
    HEA: UMass
    NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
    Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Re: MLB Ballpark Roadtrips

I've been to 8 current ballparks (in order: LAD, PHI, NYM, NYY, WAS, BOS, BAL, PIT, plus Shea). Most of them have been on a roadtrip of some sort with a friend from school (Phillies fan).

In September 2009, I was working in Philly on a co-op and we made a daytrip down to Nationals Stadium and then came up to NYC for the weekend, going to Citi and new Yankees Stadium (the only time I'll ever step in that ballpark unless there's another Subway Series).

This past June I went with him and another friend from school on a 5 ballparks in 5 days whirlwind tour. We started in Boston, went to an As-Mets night game (that started an hour late because of a rain delay), left the game in the 12th (Mets won in 13 on a HBP), drove to Allentown, PA to stay the night, and then made it down to DC for a day game the next day. After a full day of sightseeing in DC the next day, we made it to an Orioles game, left in the 11th (Os won in 12 on a solo HR), drove to Philly, and capped the trip with a game in Philly.

Pittsburgh was part of Easter weekend. With both the Flyers and Phillies in Pittsburgh, we made it to 3 games in approximately 24 hours without leaving the city. PNC Park is absolutely beautiful. And I'm sure it would've been even better if the weather had been above 45 degrees.

I've got a week of vacation scheduled for another trip this summer, the current plan is for my friend, yet another friend, and myself to start Sunday, July 15th in Toronto, Monday in Detroit, Tuesday in Cincinatti, spend a couple days at Cedar Point, and cap it with Baltimore at Cleveland on Friday the 20th. But, she's having some health issues, so we might have to cancel or postpone the trip, unfortunately.

Tips on things to do in each of the 4 stadiums would be appreciated.

For Pittsburgh, buy your tickets behind home plate (or down the third base line) if possible. We sat there for the first game of Easter weekend and the views were absolutely beautiful, especially with sunset and the moon rise happening.

Thinking way into the future, I was hoping for a trip to go through Chicago (one stadium on the way out, one on the way back), Milwaulkee, and Minnesota. Would that be too much? Is there a different set of stadiums that would help make it more manageable? Now that I will have been to every stadium north of Atlanta and east of Chicago, it's going to be much more difficult to plan these trips.
    Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
      Well, I don't have much for you for Toronto yet since I haven't been there, but I have been told (one of my best friends is from the Toronto area) that just about everything you would want to see is walkable from the ballpark. The CN Tower is essentially attached, the Hockey HOF is a few blocks away and so is Gretzky's Restaurant. I'll be there about a week before you so hopefully can have better info by then.

In Detroit, you can go to Ford Field, which is literally across the street and the Hockeytown Cafe, which is maybe a block or two away. It's been since 2006 since I was there, so Tiger Stadium has been torn down, but apparently you can still go visit the site.

Cincy is one of my least favorite ballparks for a number of reasons, but it also has two of the best features. First, the National Underground Railroad Museum is next door and is amazing. Go in prepared, as it's not an uplifting place to visit, but well worth your time. Kind of like watching Schindlar's List. Also, the Reds Museum is attached to GABP and is maybe one of the best ballpark museums out there. Simply a must see.

Cleveland - Ozzy Ozborne has a restaurant across the street outside right centerfield. If you're into that sort of thing, the Rock & Roll HOF is near the Browns stadium and the old Indians ballpark. Speaking of the old Indians ballpark, the remnants of League Field, home of the Indians and Cleveland Spiders, who own the MLB record for most losses, is kind of neat to check out. It's out of the way, and not necessarily in the best neighborhood, but you should be fine.

For Pittsburgh, buy your tickets behind home plate (or down the third base line) if possible. We sat there for the first game of Easter weekend and the views were absolutely beautiful, especially with sunset and the moon rise happening.
      The one ballpark I wish we had a better date for. Daughtry is playing a concert after the game we picked, and therefore, tickets were almost sold out when I looked into getting them. We ended up with upper deck third base tickets. Not my first choice...

Thinking way into the future, I was hoping for a trip to go through Chicago (one stadium on the way out, one on the way back), Milwaulkee, and Minnesota. Would that be too much? Is there a different set of stadiums that would help make it more manageable? Now that I will have been to every stadium north of Atlanta and east of Chicago, it's going to be much more difficult to plan these trips.
      Simple answer, no. The key to longer distances between ballparks is to drive after the game an hour to two before hitting the hotel. The most extreme example I ever did was Cleveland one night, drive to Erie, PA (call it 1 hour 45 minutes), then go to a game in Boston the next night (9 and a half hours driving time). Chicago to Minneapolis is 6 hours, so if you got a hotel in Madison (or even Rockford, IL), that's just 4-5 hours drive the next day.

Check out this itinerary I once did:

Day 1 - Start in Cincy, overnight in Louisville
      Day 2 - drive to St. Louis, overnight in Columbia, MO
      Day 3 - drive to KC, overnight in Wichita, KS
      Day 4 - drive to Arlington, overnight in Huntsville, TX
      Day 5 - drive to Houston, overnight in Lake Charles, LA
      Day 6 - drive to New Orleans, overnight in Birmingham, AL
      Day 7 - drive to Atlanta, overnight in Chattanooga, TN
      Day 8 - return to Cincy

If I was starting in Chicago, I'd do this:

Cubs game (afternoon), then drive to Madison or maybe even to Eau Claire (5 hours)
      Twins game, drive back to Eau Claire
      Milwaukee game, drive to northern Chicago suburbs
      White Sox game

FYI - anyone ever use this website:

http://www.baseball-roadtrip.com/index.php

Perfect for planning without flipping back and forth on webpages. Heck - you could start your dream trip today, as that page spit out (first option), Cubs home this afternoon vs. Braves, Twins home tomorrow vs. Jays, Cubs @ Brewers Fri and White Sox/Royals Sat.

AHA:
      ECAC:

Comment

Re: Detroit

The Tiger Stadium site is still there to be seen. Not much to look at anymore, though. If you do go there, Nemo's is a must for a meal. It's about a block from the site, and they do provide a shuttle to the park for a small fee ($3-5 or so). You're right by the expressway as well.

Hockeytown Cafe is overrated for anything more than a beer or two, IMHO. I've found the food to be mediocre. A better, but louder, nearby bar is the Elwood, between Ford Field and Comerica.

More later.
        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Also, at Comerica, avoid the left field seats. My preference is 1st base side, but anywhere else would be fine.

God, that was fun...

Comment

moose, I just saw that you included Niagara Falls as your day off. I haven't been to the touristy parts at the Falls themselves in a while, but a drive along Niagara Parkway / River Road on the Canadian side of the border can have some excellent scenery (and there are a bunch of places to stop and look out over the river) and the Journey Behind the Falls is pretty awesome. Just, don't let your GPS take you over the Whirlpool Bridge on your way back into the States (it's for NEXUS pass holders only). The only reason I recommend taking the Canadian route along the Niagara River is because Journey Behind the Falls is a Canadian attraction.

The HHOF is part of the reason that I wanted to go to Toronto, but their weekend hours are terrible, especially considering the Jays have a day game. I'll definitely give some consideration to going up the CN Tower.
            Go Red!!

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
              Also, at Comerica, avoid the left field seats. My preference is 1st base side, but anywhere else would be fine.
              Pretty fired up about out tix in Detroit - first row (officially "club" seats) of the upper deck right behind the plate. Or, this view:

*****http://www.cookandsonbats.com/panoramas/comerica/comerica-326.jpg******

AHA:
              ECAC:

Comment

You're going to be really happy with those.

Couple other things to mention for Detroit:

1) The past few years I've parked at the VFW hall on the corner of Woodward and Temple St. It's about a 8-10 block walk to Comerica, straight down Woodward. If you don't park there, there are other lots easily accessible right on Woodward Ave. The area around the VFW hall is shady, but you're safe and you're only spending $10 instead of the $20 near the park. It's also a straight shot down Temple Street to US-10 (Lodge Fwy) with minimal post-game traffic on the way out. The lot is also guarded. WARNING: Temple Street is flat-out dodgy. No sugar-coating there. Get down Temple St. to the freeway entrance (which will be on your right) as quickly as you safely can. If you need I-75, that's a little closer to the ballpark, accessible from Woodward.

2) If you want to eat at the ballpark, there is a coney island named Leo's, right at the front of the place, to the right of the main entrance. Nothing fancy there, either. You'll notice that I don't do fancy at all. Even if you don't want to eat there, and you don't go to the Elwood, you can go right through Leo's and into the ballpark, stopping briefly to scan your tickets. You're going to save yourself some time there, if nothing else.

In order of preference, here is what I would do:

1) Park at Nemos, on Michigan Ave, a block from the old Tiger Stadium. Go see the site. It's basically a fenced-in diamond now. Eat at Nemo's and take the shuttle to the game. Center field at the old Stadium was right near the entrance to US-10 (Lodge Fwy).

or

2) Park at the VFW hall, pay the $10, eat at either Elwood or Leo's. If you want to do the tourist thing, pop into Hockeytown for a beer. But if you want to act like you've been there a time or two, the other options are better.
                Last edited by Hammer; 05-09-2012, 10:34 PM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

I've got a week of vacation scheduled for another trip this summer, the current plan is for my friend, yet another friend, and myself to start Sunday, July 15th in Toronto, Monday in Detroit, Tuesday in Cincinnati, spend a couple days at Cedar Point, and cap it with Baltimore at Cleveland on Friday the 20th. But, she's having some health issues, so we might have to cancel or postpone the trip, unfortunately.

Hello from Ohio! First, some Cedar Point info:

I'm not sure if the Breakers Hotel is within your budget. But if so, you should consider it. It's really nice to be able to take a breather from park just by walking back to your room. You enter/exit at the North End, near Soak City. The vast majority of guests enter at the opposite end. Being out of sync with the largest part of the crowd just seems to make the entire experience work better. Also, being right on the Lake has it's selling points.

It's really a Minnesota thing, but Famous Dave's BBQ at the Marina offers another opportunity to temporarily escape the hubbub. It's just outside one of the park entrances on the West Side; remember to get your hand stamped if you plan to re-enter the amusment park. The food is reliably good; the usual Famous Dave's menu is offered.

In Downtown Sandusky, there are couple of foodie restaurants available if you enjoy upscale cuisine. Crush Winebar and Zinc Brasserie are both on Columbus Avenue, right across the street from one another. IIRC, there's common ownership. These establishments intend that you linger over your meal; so if you're looking for prompt service, look elsewhere. But if you have some time to spend, the food is very good. Between the two, Zinc Brasserie is a little more formal and a little pricier.

For speedier service, more moderate pricing, and a large American menu, try Diana's Deli Restaurant on Milan Road -- State Route 250.

As for Cincinnati, I spend surprisingly little time there. I actually haven't been to GABP yet. But the Montgomery Inn on the Riverwalk is a nice complement to any sporting event in Cincy. BBQ Ribs, Steak, etc.

The HHOF is part of the reason that I wanted to go to Toronto, but their weekend hours are terrible, especially considering the Jays have a day game. I'll definitely give some consideration to going up the CN Tower.
                  Toronto's CN Tower is recommended. Since you mentioned the sunset in Pittsburgh, I'll counter with sunset from the top of the CN Tower. We very much enjoyed that; hope you have a similar experience. Time-wise that should work out pretty well, assuming the day game ends at a normal time.

It's been a few years since I've been there, but I presume that the Hard Rock Cafe is still doing business out in right field. The Hard Rock itself has long since ceased to be a novelty. But watching the game through a large picture window while you enjoy a sit-down dinner is pretty neat. If interested in eating during the game, advance reservations have been strongly recommended in the past. I presume that's still the case.

Shame about the HHOF; I guess you'll have to make a separate trip for that. Maybe you can combine it with a show; there's lots of live theater in Toronto. In any event, needing to schedule an additional trip to Toronto is a rather pleasant problem.
                  Last edited by pgb-ohio; 05-10-2012, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                    Hello from Ohio! First, some Cedar Point info:
                    As long as you mention Cedar Point, I did neglect to point out that on my way back after the Pro Football HOF, we'll be hitting Camp Perry to participate in what is called Small Arms Firing School (SAFS) - a program the Civilian Marksmanship Program puts on at the direction of Congress (shocking, I know) to teach citizens either rifle or pistol skills. We have signed up for the day long pistol class. We'll end up hitting Port Clinton, OH on a Sunday night, take the class Monday, and drive to Chicago after. Any recommendations in the Port Clinton area for food?

BTW, if anyone is in town when I'm at any of these games, feel free to let me know and maybe we can meet up and say hi. Here's my itinerary (sensitive details removed):

Itinerary 2012

Day 1 & 2 Fly BJI to / Free time with family

• Day 3 (Tue. 7/3/12) Depart XXX at 10 a.m. for Milwaukee (97 miles – 2 hours)
                     Kopp’s Frozen Custard for lunch
                     3 p.m. Brewers vs. Marlins
                     Drive to Hotel after game (9 miles)

 Day 4 (Wed. 7/4/12) Depart hotel at 5 a.m. for Lake Michigan transit (8 miles)
                     6 a.m. Lake Express across Lake Michigan (83 miles, 2.5 hours)
                     9:30 a.m. Drive to Ann Arbor for Yost Arena tour (173 miles – 3 hours)
                     Drive to Comerica Park (42 miles – 1 hour)
                     7 p.m. Tigers vs. Twins
                     Drive to Hotel after game (11 km)

 Day 5 (Thu. 7/5/12) Depart hotel 8 a.m. For Toronto (368 km – 4.25 hours)
                     7 p.m. Blue Jays vs. Royals
                     Drive to Hotel (26 km – .5 hours)

• Day 6 (Fri. 7/6/12) Free Day in Toronto/Niagara Falls
                     Drive to Hotel (125 km – 1.5 hours)

 Day 7 (Sat. 7/7/12) Depart hotel 8 a.m. For Pittsburgh, PA (240 miles – 4.25 hours)
                     Lunch at Primanti Brothers
                     4 p.m. Pirates vs. Giants
                     Drive to Hotel (87 miles – 1.75 hours)

 Day 8 (Sun. 7/8/12) Depart hotel 9 a.m. For Pro Football HOF (15 miles)
                     Depart Pro Football HOF by 4 p.m.
                     Drive to Hotel (116 miles – 2 hours)
                     Register for SAFS before 9 p.m.

• Day 9 (Mon. 7/9/12) Depart hotel at 8 a.m. for Camp Perry/SAFS (12 miles)
                    o 9 am – 5 p.m. SAFS Camp Perry
                    o Drive to XXXX (295 miles – 5 hours)

• Day 10 (Tue. 7/10/12) Fly to BJI .

AHA:
                    ECAC:

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                      ...We'll end up hitting Port Clinton, OH on a Sunday night, take the class Monday, and drive to Chicago after. Any recommendations in the Port Clinton area for food?
                      Wish I could help on that, but I can't. I've used Port Clinton as a point of departure for the Lake Erie Islands, but that's it. The Sandusky places I mentioned would be less than half an hour away. But if you prefer to get settled at the hotel first, I can understand not wanting to backtrack.

Heading out of Camp Perry toward Chicago, Tony Packo's in Toledo would be a good stop. It's the restaurant Jamie Farr put on the map with references during M*A*S*H episodes. There are now multiple locations, but the original is just off I-280 on Front Street, IIRC. You'd take State Route 2 into Toledo; I'm guessing it would be about 40 minutes to the restaurant.

The atmosphere is definitely casual, the walls being decorated with countless celebrity-autographed hot dog buns. Beyond the deluxe hot dogs, Hungarian goulash and apple dumplings are specialties. Tony Packo's is certainly a tourist place, complete with a souvenior T-Shirt shop. But it does retain a little of the "neighborhood watering hole" feel, and the food is good. If nothing else, it's a welcome change of pace from the chain restaurants that dominate the Turnpike exits.

Note that if you decide to skip Tony Packo's this time, you'll want to access the Turnpike sooner. Exit 81 probably makes the most sense.

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                        BTW, if anyone is in town when I'm at any of these games, feel free to let me know and maybe we can meet up and say hi. Here's my itinerary (sensitive details removed):
                        I will have just moved to Pittsburgh a few days prior to when you get there for the Pirates/Giants game.

Primanti Bros. is good, but I noticed its a chain. I was slightly disappointed when I first realized that. Another good/fun place to eat is Steak & Lube. Great wings, and a weekend buffet.
                        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                          Primanti Bros. is good, but I noticed its a chain. I was slightly disappointed when I first realized that. Another good/fun place to eat is Steak & Lube. Great wings, and a weekend buffet.
                          Well, technically, yes, it's a chain, but I tend to give a pass to "chain" restaurants like this. It's in a category like Portillio's - an Italian Beef joint in the Chicago area. Sure, it's a chain, but you can't get it outside Chicago, right? This is where places like Pizzaria Uno (apparently now called Uno Chicago Grill) lost most of it's appeal to me. Uno started as one of the best Chicago-style deep dish pizza places in town. So they opened a second, called Pizzaria Duo. Then the went nuts and now have locations all over the place in the northeast, south and west plus have locations in the Middle East (Kuwait and Saudi Arabia). There used to be one in the Twin Cities (Edina IIRC). Uno used to be something special that you could only get at the corner of Ohio and Wabash in Chicago. Now you can get it almost everywhere and it's no big deal.

To the point, while you can apparently get Primanti Bros. at the ballpark (and only a couple sections over from us), our plan is to hit the original location in the Strip District.

AHA:
                          ECAC:

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                            It's a chain in the same sense that any successful restaurant that has placed multiple restaurants in the same city is a chain (Rochester, NY reference would probably include Dibella's, although that has actually spread to other cities). We walked by the one in Market Square, which was really convenient to the ballpark (less than 3/4 of a mile), but, being Easter Sunday, everything was closed. The original is on 18th St in the Strip District (also closed despite it being a 24-hour restaurant).

moose, I'll be in the Buffalo / Niagara Falls area while you're in the area, but I'll be dealing with moving into a new apt and will likely have to work your free day.
                            Last edited by burgie12; 05-10-2012, 09:18 AM.
                            Go Red!!

Comment

It's definitely difficult tor replicate a great restaurant outside the home market. The recipes may be the same, but the quality of ingredients may suffer -- particularly if different suppliers must be used. The staff isn't the same either. Far too often the TLC that made the original location great is lost in the expansion.

Agreed, an additional location or two in the home market can work out well.

Comment

Working...
                              X