• Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin vs Total Recall

Steve
    (a) Anyway to disable autoplay?
    (b) Was that in Madison?
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I would love to hear what you pro-union people suggest should be done to solve all these budget problems, seriously? Turn on the news and all that you see is that cities and towns from coast to coast are on the brink of bankruptcy under the crushing pressure of skyrocketing public employee, pay, pensions, healthcare costs, benefits, etc. This isn't a myth, it's black and white - and Stockton, CA is next. So all kidding aside, when town finance managers insist that they just cannot keep up with these rising costs, what do you suggest? I suppose the only thing you CAN suggest is raise taxes, but get real, that's pretty darn selfish. So again, what's the fix? I'm all ears?

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
        I would love to hear what you pro-union people suggest should be done to solve all these budget problems, seriously? Turn on the news and all that you see is that cities and towns from coast to coast are on the brink of bankruptcy under the crushing pressure of skyrocketing public employee, pay, pensions, healthcare costs, benefits, etc. This isn't a myth, it's black and white - and Stockton, CA is next. So all kidding aside, when town finance managers insist that they just cannot keep up with these rising costs, what do you suggest? I suppose the only thing you CAN suggest is raise taxes, but get real, that's pretty darn selfish. So again, what's the fix? I'm all ears?
        Turn off fox news.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Steve
          (a) Anyway to disable autoplay?
          (b) Was that in Madison?
          a) Couldn't see any way so I deleted it.
          b) Milwaukee.
          Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

So now that the Wisconsin recall vote is over, can we start referring to the 99%ers as the 46%ers?
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
              Except that's what Walker did - "Public unions should have no collective bargaining rights except for COLA's up to the inflation level." Oh, and police and firefighters? By all means, go ahead and unionize since you normally vote Republican.

No right to bargain on salary increases past inflation. No right to bargain on benefits, pension, or anything else.

Seems like opposition to the notion that "unions should have bargaining rights" to me.
              Except that like FDR and others, I was making the distinction between public employees and free market employees unionizing, an important part of my point (and the distinction is important to understand regarding Walker's reforms as well). I'm all for unions. Just not ones that are allowed to rule over the rest of us citizens without any checks or balances.
              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
              USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Foxton View Post
                Turn off fox news.
                You are. without a doubt. the stupidest troll on this board.

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
                  I would love to hear what you pro-union people suggest should be done to solve all these budget problems, seriously?
                  A trick question? US taxpayers are still working on paying half of the world's military budget...and have seen an 81% increase in military spending since 2001.

Meanwhile the US worker is losing to its overseas competitors at the cost of the country's welfare, its ability to pay its debt and yes, covering its massive Dept of Defense budget which is about 10 times that of the Dept of Education.

Must be a trick question.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                    A trick question? US taxpayers are still working on paying half of the world's military budget...and have seen an 81% increase in military spending since 2001.

Meanwhile the US worker is losing to its overseas competitors at the cost of the country's welfare, its ability to pay its debt and yes, covering its massive Dept of Defense budget which is about 10 times that of the Dept of Education.

Must be a trick question.
                    Of course, the problems states and municipalities have in meeting their obligations to greedy employee unions are caused by defense spending.

The "trick", my dear Major, is you presenting gibberish in the form of an argument.
                    Last edited by Old Pio; 06-06-2012, 11:27 PM.
                    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Meanwhile the US worker is losing to its overseas competitors
                      You do understand why we are losing jobs to foreign countries right?
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                        Of course, the problems states and municipalities have in meeting their obligations to greedy employee unions are caused by defense spending.
                        Problem is that state budgets are way down relative to federal budgets...ie the states are getting starved relative to the federal government. But we should futher cut state spending and keep the growing federal budget in tact?

So we taxpayers should continue to want to pay nearly half the world's military budget...while sacrificing an education budget that is already a tenth of the size...just because we don't know how to transfer funds between federal and state levels? Really?
                        Last edited by 5mn_Major; 06-06-2012, 11:47 PM.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          You do understand why we are losing jobs to foreign countries right?
                          Are you suggesting you're more knowledgeable on the topic? Feel free to enlighten.
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

Problem is that state budgets are way down relative to federal budgets...ie the states are getting starved relative to the federal government. But we should futher cut state spending and keep the growing federal budget in tact?

So we taxpayers should continue to want to pay nearly half the world's military budget...while sacrificing an education budget that is already a tenth of the size...just because we don't know how to transfer funds between federal and state levels? Really?
                            This, with respect, is the most boneheaded argument I've ever heard. Defense is a federal responsibility and has nothing whatsoever to do with states and municipalities finding themselves between a rock and a hard place (cutting services or raising taxes) to meet the obligations they've stupidly taken on to meet the demands of greedy employee unions.

If you want to discuss defense spending then please do so in a way that comports with reality. Don't just riffle through your supply of bumper stickers to find one that makes your "point." Start with His Doneness spending about a trillion bucks to provide "shovel ready" jobs to his union goon supporters. The phrase "jobs created or saved" is one of the most dishonest in recent decades. Just like his phony manipulation of demand with "cash for clunkers."

States and municipalities got themselves into this mess by repeatedly caving in to unions when times were good. Well, the times aren't so good anymore, but the states and municipalities still have trillions of dollars in obligations to their employees (and those obligations are growing every day) even as their revenues decline. Blame it on Donald Rumsfeld if it makes you feel better. But folks all across this nation, and in liberal Wisconsin, are beginning to come to the realization that we can't sustain this madness any more. Most Americans would be willing to pay more in taxes to maintain government services, but not the lifestyles and gold plated benefit plans of overpaid employees.
                            Last edited by Old Pio; 06-07-2012, 12:05 AM.
                            2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                              Except that like FDR and others, I was making the distinction between public employees and free market employees unionizing, an important part of my point (and the distinction is important to understand regarding Walker's reforms as well). I'm all for unions. Just not ones that are allowed to rule over the rest of us citizens without any checks or balances.
                              You mean like the check and balance of voting for people who slash the budget? The public has more say over those jobs than any private sector job. Fark, the public sector has lost hundreds of thousands of jobs over the past 2-3 years. Next to housing, it's probably the single weakest sector and responsible for a good .5-1 percent of the national unemployment numbers. Take away the temporary census employees, and it wouldn't shock me if public sector employment has dropped every quarter since 2008 or so.

I do hope those of you *****ing about the public sector never complain about long lines at the DMV, delays in court cases, or potholes in your roads. Because you're going to get exactly what you pay for.
                              Last edited by unofan; 06-07-2012, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                                Of course, the problems states and municipalities have in meeting their obligations to greedy employee unions
                                ...is that they raided the pension funds without any plan or desire to pay it back. THey simply kicked that can down the road for the last 30 years. And now employees who earned said pensions are boned.

Comment

Working...
                                X